Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Something I noticed about the Batman films

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Something I noticed about the Batman films Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Something I noticed about the Batman films - 24/7/2012 1:28:41 PM   
Rgirvan44

Just thought that this might amuse some people - now that the TDKR is out there is a funny thing I have noticed about the Batman films since the first Burton one.

Taken as a whole they present a chronological history of the Batman comic series.

Batman '89: 1940s: A movie focused on the early Bob Kane work. Batman fights gangsters that look like they have come from issue. no 1. While silly it also has a certain hard boiled edge to it.

Batman Returns: 1950s: Ever so slowly the hard boil noir is placed in the background and more zany ideas are introduced. Gets accused of no longer being for children (Comics Code introduced)

Batman Forever/Batman and Robin: 1960s: Stories become camp, an extended Bat family is introduced.

Batman Begins: 1970s: Denny O'Neil at DC comics brings Batman back to his more serious roots. Introduced Ra's Al Ghul

The Dark Knight: 1980s: Taking the more serious tone a step further the comics became harder edged with books such as the Killing Joke and The Dark Knight Returns getting under the skin of the characters. Seen as the peak of the ultra dark phase of Batman so far.

The Dark Knight Rises: 1990s: The comics become more focused on epics such as Knightfall and No Mans Land. While still maintaining a hard edge, these comics were focused on big concepts and long arcs.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 24/7/2012 1:29:28 PM >

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 1
RE: Something I noticed about the Batman films - 27/7/2012 4:17:46 PM   
homersimpson_esq

This is pretty cool and I felt sorry for you that no-one had commented on it.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 2
RE: Something I noticed about the Batman films - 27/7/2012 4:26:26 PM   
horribleives

Interesting. I also noticed a neat parallel between Batman: The Movie and The Dark Knight Rises but I've already mentioned it in another thread so I won't bother.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 3
RE: Something I noticed about the Batman films - 27/7/2012 4:36:13 PM   
Olaf

The 00s/10s saw an attempt to marry the darker aspects of the Batman mythos with the more out-there imagery and characters of the Silver Age comics - Hush, Morrison's run on Batman etc - which is surely the direction the new reboot will take (provided they don't go for a straight-up rehash of Nolan's films). So I think we can conclude that the Illuminati are responsible for these movies.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 4
RE: Something I noticed about the Batman films - 27/7/2012 4:54:17 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

The 00s/10s saw an attempt to marry the darker aspects of the Batman mythos with the more out-there imagery and characters of the Silver Age comics - Hush, Morrison's run on Batman etc - which is surely the direction the new reboot will take (provided they don't go for a straight-up rehash of Nolan's films). So I think we can conclude that the Illuminati are responsible for these movies.

So bearing in mind I haven't done more than glance at the odd comic since the mid '90s, would that mean still serious and gloomy but with a more fantastical, sci-fi kind of edge? If so I'd welcome a re-boot that went in that direction, if only to differentiate it from Nolan's fims. Although the first thing a director needs to do is come up with a believable way to present one of the finer bits of gadgetry in Batman's arsenal that has been sorely missed in all the cinematic ventures from Burton's efforts onwards - for the love of god give me Shark Repellent Batspray!

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 5
RE: Something I noticed about the Batman films - 27/7/2012 5:53:45 PM   
quinterolf

The Movie and The Dark Knight Rises but I've already mentioned it in another thread so I won't bother.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 6
RE: Something I noticed about the Batman films - 27/7/2012 7:18:06 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

None of the films match the mastery of Alan Moore's The Killing Joke, in my opinion.

(in reply to quinterolf)
Post #: 7
RE: Something I noticed about the Batman films - 27/7/2012 8:08:52 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

None of the films match the mastery of Alan Moore's The Killing Joke, in my opinion.

And yet Alan Moore doesn't rate it as one of his more finer works.
The Dark Knight Returns,I think,will forever be my favorite Batman book.

(in reply to Squidward Hark Bugle)
Post #: 8
RE: Something I noticed about the Batman films - 27/7/2012 8:29:27 PM   
Olaf

I read it again last week, it's better than its author suggests it is. That said, I agree with Alan Moore that the book's treatment of Barbara is pretty dodgy, and I agree with Brian Bolland that it would be better without the Joker origin story (though it works as just one version of events inside his mind). Arkham Asylum is my favourite (Year One in second, possibly as it's the first Batman story I read).

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Something I noticed about the Batman films Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI