Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

11 Masterpieces for the month of August

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> 11 Masterpieces for the month of August Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
11 Masterpieces for the month of August - 24/7/2012 3:46:37 AM   
jermreen

So, how's everyone doing? I'm doing well too thanks. Anyway, been watching a couple of classics and recent movies with my 17 year old cousin who comes down to visit every couple of months and we're planning a movie fest running through a single week of August. I found it very difficult to choose the right 11 as I have over 789 movies in my collection but I think I made the right choices.
I went for a broad range of movies ranging from different genres and I chose ones that he hasnt seen yet.

Here they are.
1.Heat
2.Princess Mononoke
3.Brotherhood
4.Once Upon A Time in The West
5.The Hitcher (Original)
6.Grosse Point Blank
7.American History X
8.Ponyo
9.The Killing Fields
10.Goodbye Mr.Chips(1939)
11.Sunshine

Tell us what you think guys.
Post #: 1
RE: 11 Masterpieces for the month of August - 24/7/2012 4:15:46 AM   
Lazarus munkey

I've not seen the animated ones but I'd certainly drop:
Once Upon A Time in the West - bored me senseless.
American History X - hideously simplistic character study.
The Killing Fields - a 'hot topic' Oscar winner rather than a great film. It's ok but nothing special.

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to jermreen)
Post #: 2
RE: 11 Masterpieces for the month of August - 24/7/2012 2:57:38 PM   
st3veebee

While American History X is definitely a bit light on the character side, it is worth seeing purely for Norton's performance. Otherwise:

Heat: I found this kinda dull with a few exceleent scenes.
Princess Mononoke: Brilliant
Brotherhood: Haven't seen
OUaTitW: Again it lags in parts, but great scenes.
Hitcher: Solid movie but is it a classic?
GPB: Yes and more Yes. Love it, effortlessly cool.
AHX: As above: that scene still shocks.
Ponyo: Ponyo Ponyo Ponyo!
KF: Haven't seen
Goodbye Mr. CHips: Haven't seen in years bu I remember it being a pretty decent film.
Sunshine: Severly underrated and easily one of, if not Boyles best film.  

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 3
RE: 11 Masterpieces for the month of August - 24/7/2012 3:01:31 PM   
elab49

Can I suggest trying something different for the 30s? The Chips treacle fest might put him off trying older films for life.

If OUATITW is there for western, do you have any other options?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 4
RE: 11 Masterpieces for the month of August - 24/7/2012 3:34:53 PM   
sharkboy

I'm guessing from your avatar that you're a fan of anime, but perhaps having Mononoke and Ponyo is a bit too much?  Granted, they're both spectacular, but instead of 2 from Miyazaki, why not one Eastern and one Western?  Or if you'd rather stick with anime, Mononoke or Ponyo with something like Grave Of The Fireflies which, while linked to Ghibli, is very different in style and tone.

If you're looking for a Western movie, then as good as OUATITW is, it does drag a bit. What about Silverado or Open Range instead?   And while I absolutely love The Killing Fields (can't listen to Imagine without welling up thanks to this movie!), I'd probably go with something like Salvador - you get intense James Woods, a decent performance from John Belushi (I shit you not!), and all of Oliver Stone's less-than-subtle political overtones

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5
RE: 11 Masterpieces for the month of August - 24/7/2012 5:35:35 PM   
boaby

OUATITW is the best Western ever made.

Boring? Lags? Drags? Heathens.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 6
RE: 11 Masterpieces for the month of August - 24/7/2012 6:58:11 PM   
jermreen

Thanks for the reply folks, much appreciated.

@Lazarus- I can understand it does drag on but I do reckon it is the finest western ever made, just beating Shane and Good, Bad and Ugly in my opinion and that Morricone score is to die for. My cuz isnt the kind of kid that gets bored easily so I'm not worried.

@st3veebee- The Hitcher is one of the most intense horror movies of all time with some very beautiful scenes, Rutger Hauer is amazing in it. Also he isnt a big horror fan.

@elab-Well he is very mature for his age and I think Chips is a good move as I want to open him up to older films.

@sharkboy- Good suggestion with Grave,however, it is a very difficult movie to watch and I already have 2 war movies in there. As excellent as it is its just too sad and yes I am an anime fan but only the old animes like Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Devilman etc and Ghibli's work, the new stuff coming out of Japan is just shit and souless. I showed him Totoro and he was blown away by it and Ponyo has that innocent, childlike appeal that I think is quite similar to Totoro. Mononoke is considered by many Ghibli's finest work, uhmmm maybe Sprited Away but it's a film I think he has to see. Its amazing.

@boaby- I agree, for many years it was Good, Bad and Ugly but only recently watched In the West and was nearly moved to tears at just how beautiful a movie it was. Definate purchase on Play.com me thinks.

IN TRANCE WE TRUST

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 7
RE: 11 Masterpieces for the month of August - 3/8/2012 12:56:23 PM   
donnievoks

For a change you can watch movies where I will like to suggest steampunk films, guess you will like.

steampunk films

(in reply to jermreen)
Post #: 8
RE: 11 Masterpieces for the month of August - 3/8/2012 3:25:09 PM   
homersimpson_esq

This thread looks awfully like a list...

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to donnievoks)
Post #: 9
RE: 11 Masterpieces for the month of August - 3/8/2012 3:43:32 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: jermreen

So, how's everyone doing? I'm doing well too thanks. Anyway, been watching a couple of classics and recent movies with my 17 year old cousin who comes down to visit every couple of months and we're planning a movie fest running through a single week of August. I found it very difficult to choose the right 11 as I have over 789 movies in my collection but I think I made the right choices.
I went for a broad range of movies ranging from different genres and I chose ones that he hasnt seen yet.

Here they are.
1.Heat
2.Princess Mononoke
3.Brotherhood
4.Once Upon A Time in The West
5.The Hitcher (Original)
6.Grosse Point Blank
7.American History X
8.Ponyo
9.The Killing Fields
10.Goodbye Mr.Chips(1939)
11.Sunshine

Tell us what you think guys.

Could you be more specific about the number of films you have, please?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to jermreen)
Post #: 10
RE: 11 Masterpieces for the month of August - 3/8/2012 3:49:12 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: jermreen

Could you be more specific about the number of films you have, please?

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 11
RE: 11 Masterpieces for the month of August - 3/8/2012 5:02:39 PM   
Deviation

Shit, posted in the wrong place, ignore the previous post please. It's about Mann probably being swordandsandals.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> 11 Masterpieces for the month of August Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI