Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

New Gangster Squad Filming Planned

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> New Gangster Squad Filming Planned Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Gangster Squad Filming Planned - 24/7/2012 1:27:47 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
is that really necessary? - 24/7/2012 1:27:47 AM   
Dr Science

I can understand the sensitivity, but decisions like this make me feel that the rest of the world has capitulated to the cultural effect of one lunatic. I don't mean to overstate the importance of one film, but the fact is that anyone who now goes to see this will be aware that their choice of entertainment has effectively been censored due to that psycho twat.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: is that really necessary? - 24/7/2012 2:35:06 AM   
Whistler

I think it probably is necessary, but also very disappointing. What worries me is if he has a friend, or maybe just a copycat, who fancies doing the same thing with this film.

(in reply to Dr Science)
Post #: 3
is that really necessary? - 24/7/2012 8:38:32 AM   
scottnichol

personally i dont feel it is necessary, while i do feel very sorry for the people killed in that cinema and there families i do feel like always that its blown out of proportion in the sense that we have to react to tragedy in this way.newspapers calling him the batman killer, if thats the case why arent they stopping showing the dark knight rises? if america had better gun control then maybe these things wouldnt happen, it doesnt happen in the uk. the scene in gangster squad of the cinema shooting looks pretty good but highly doubt its eerily similar to these real life events.

Post #: 4
RE: is that really necessary? - 24/7/2012 9:47:00 AM   
Whistler

That's very true. I also had a thought which makes me change my mind about his: if there had been, say, a car bomb in New York, would that have stopped film-makers using a similar scene? I doubt it. There are always tragedies happening around the world, but that doesn't stop films from using similar scenes. The massacre in Aurora was absolutely horrible, and it's important to be respectful of those who died and to their families, but that shouldn't mean a fictional story should have to be changed. It's a sensitive issue.

(in reply to scottnichol)
Post #: 5
RE: is that really necessary? - 24/7/2012 10:56:40 AM   
elab49

The trailer was still playing when I saw TDKR - even with that it I never even noticed the apparent movie theatre shooting bit in the awfulness of the dialogue. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome
Post #: 6
RE: is that really necessary? - 24/7/2012 11:38:42 AM   
MonsterCat

I don't think it's necessary, but if they find a way to make it work I suppose it doesn't really matter.

I'm quite looking to forward to seeing Gangster Squad. And before Elab says anything, it's not just because I fancy Ryan Gosling.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7
RE: is that really necessary? - 24/7/2012 12:33:35 PM   
Cool Breeze

A pity as the scene in question sounds like a great action sequence but i suppose its understandable that they change it given what happened to those poor people last week.

Maybe we will be able to see it as part of the special features on the films eventual dvd release?

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 8
RE: is that really necessary? - 24/7/2012 12:34:42 PM   
Dropje

I think it's a bad idea to start changing films because of current events.

In this case, especially, where the shooting plays an intricate part in the plot, I don't see how they can start changing things on such short notice without resulting in a loss of quality (presuming this film is of any quality to begin with -- we'll have to see it first in order to judge that). I can understand why e.g. they deleted the WTC scene from Spider-Man after the 9/11 attacks: this was just one intervention by the hero early in the film. Deleting that short scene didn't fundamentally alter the story. In the case of Gangster Squad, it appears it would.

Apart from that, movies are not only fictional, they're supposed to entertain us. To do that, they give us stories that are preferably very different from our everyday lifes. A film about a guy getting up in the morning and spending his day at the office isn't going to bust the box office. Movies show us worlds that are different from ours (other countries, fictional worlds, or another time period) and/or contain very dramatic events that we'll hopefully never have to see in real life (a ship sinking, a madman threatening to blow up a city, a gunfight to the death, ... ). Unfortunately, things will inescapably happen in our world (accidents, natural disasters, acts of terrorism) that resemble these dramatic events in the movies. If you can't include anything in a movie that can or does happen in real life, what can filmmakers show us at all anymore?

I also fully agree with the argument that we can't let this one nutjob decide for the rest of us what we can and can't see (can we e.g. still watch Inglourious Basterds after this? I know, that's different because that wasn't a cinema full of innocent people -- but you get the point), because giving him that much influence would feel like letting the bad guy win.

Besides, the trailer (with images of the shooting) is already out and still available on YouTube.

Simply postponing the release of this film seems a better option to me.

< Message edited by Dropje -- 24/7/2012 12:36:03 PM >

(in reply to Dr Science)
Post #: 9
RE: is that really necessary? - 24/7/2012 2:18:33 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

I don't think it's necessary, but if they find a way to make it work I suppose it doesn't really matter.

I'm quite looking to forward to seeing Gangster Squad. And before Elab says anything, it's not just because I fancy Ryan Gosling.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 10
RE: is that really necessary? - 24/7/2012 2:32:53 PM   
MonsterCat

Well, it's partly reason but it looks like it might be a fun gangster action flick.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 11
RE: is that really necessary? - 24/7/2012 2:35:09 PM   
elab49

I appreciated the need to feature Gosling in the trailer, given his current renown - the problem was every piece of dialogue he had to utter plummetted dead to the ground. It was quite worrying. 

quote:

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 12
RE: is that really necessary? - 24/7/2012 2:39:36 PM   
MonsterCat

Yeah, but studios tend to use a lot of alternate takes and scenes that won't make the final cut when putting together trailers. What you saw in there might be not be truly representative of the film's actual content. I see what you're saying, but I'm not worried.

Also: that scene when Gosling catches the shotgun was fucking coooooool!

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 13
RE: is that really necessary? - 24/7/2012 2:42:44 PM   
elab49

This is true. Out of context, Catwoman looked awful in the trailers. 

quote:

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 14
RE: is that really necessary? - 24/7/2012 2:49:10 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Gosling only had one line of dialogue in the trailer I saw before TDKR.

And he did look boss catching that shotgun.

I find it hard to get enthused about a Sean Penn film though. He's a good enough actor but I just think he comes across as a bit of a dick in real life and I find it hard to warm to him onscreen as a result. Granted, he's the villain in this so maybe hating the guy will work in the film's favour.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 15
RE: is that really necessary? - 24/7/2012 2:53:47 PM   
elab49

Sounds like they may have cut bits of the trailer - there were a few lines (I think it was only him and Penn that spoke).

Edit - wait, no - I think Stone replied to him at one point. But there were a couple of shots in the bar, one opening a door. Other stuff.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 24/7/2012 2:54:24 PM >

quote:

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 16
Um.how's about? - 24/7/2012 5:47:47 PM   
groovymite

Instead of all this re-shoot crap..why don't they invest the same time/money into lobbying for changes to the gun laws!!

It'll save abit of hassle next time it occurs.And it will.

Post #: 17
Um.how's about? - 24/7/2012 5:52:38 PM   
groovymite

Instead of all this re-shoot crap..why don't they invest the same time/money into lobbying for changes to the gun laws!!

It'll save abit of hassle next time it occurs.And it will.

Post #: 18
- 25/7/2012 1:46:53 PM   
BoudaSmoke

I hope they didn't hurt their chins when their knees jerked

Post #: 19
Remember Spiderman's WTC Scene? - 28/7/2012 5:32:50 PM   
Duane Barry

Sony removed a scene from Spiderman post 9/11 because he catches a chopper in a web spun between the two World Trade Centre towers - even though it didnt show any attack on the towers it was cut, a total over-reaction & I think historically it would have had a respectful resonance if left intact. Now the cinema shooting scene would not have the same effect and in hindsight it would probably look callous & commercial if left in because it does mirror the Aurora attack so intensley. My feeling is delay the screening but dont cut the scene. WB possibly dont want to be sued for emotional distress caused to anyone who was caught in Aurora in case they happen to go to the cinema or see the trailer somewhere but I think moreso this decision is about public perception & market share. Those poor ppl in Aurora will likely never go to a cinema again so mabey its not about being sued for exacerbating P.T.S.D and more about image.

Aurora was tragic and respect should be shown but I guess this is political/legal because this movie is by THE SAME STUDIO as TDK and the Aurora shooter was primed and conditioned by their previous Batman films "Agent Of Chaos".
Whats sick is that all WB are really worried about is their REP and not the people affected which if the scene IS cut SHOULD be the reason for the cut. It's both a cynical & sensible in equal measure but personally I feel art should always push for honesty - even low art like this that hasnt much of a point.

It's two faced though (No pun or irony intended) - "The War On Terror" didnt stop FOX turning Jack Bauer into an empirialistic sociopath who tortured Arab's with glee whilst being a mouthpiece for policy who excused the worst atrocities by saying "Were the good guys". This reedit is hipocracy because If it was a scene with soldiers getting blown to bits they wouldnt worry about it even though a tonne of US families have relatives who were blown to bits in whatever conflict the US is involved with in their perpetual war. Priorities are skewed

< Message edited by Duane Barry -- 28/7/2012 5:55:07 PM >

Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> New Gangster Squad Filming Planned Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI