Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 25/7/2012 8:42:49 PM   
impqueen

It’s a silly rule but you would have thought they’d know or maybe they did and didn’t think it had awards potential. I recall seeing adverts for Liberty Stands Still but I didn’t realise it was practically the last thing she was involved with.

Yes, always.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 31
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 25/7/2012 8:51:12 PM   
elab49

Toy Story (Lasseter, 1995)

I'd be surprised if anyone hasn't seen this. Toy Story's first is still top of my Pixar list. I saw the film 3 times in the cinema (in 3 different countries I've latterly realised as I went to NI via Scotland, before watching it again back home in London) and multiple DVD viewings have not diminished my enjoyment of it.  It's that rare beast with a great sequel although not, for me, quite as good.  

It was a rarity as a US animation that recognised all facets of its audience. Although Disney had had a couple of watchable films in the years before, the scripts weren't clever enough to aim successfully at both kids and their parents. Toy Story managed that with ease – the kids loving the toys and the scary Sid, the adults packing out the cinema to appreciate jokes about leveraged buy-outs, the cult psychology of the claw and the depths of Sid's sadism.  And the aliens. I love the aliens. I managed to get one of those that light up when you squeeze it and says the various phrases.  And possibly a few other things alien related.  

Exciting and perfectly paced, the story-telling is at a consistent height that Pixar has only come close to with Up – the scene in Sid's back yard is both phenomenally creepy and utterly triumphant. The animation may look a little older now – they're perhaps a little too proud of showing that crease on the skin of Andy's wrist – but you can see how good they're going to get because no matter how unrealistic the kids are the quality of the outdoor lighting is superb.  The voice cast is uniformly lovely (who'd think you'd say that about Tim Allen but his flakeout tea party is one of the best bits of the film).  

Toy Story has been my favourite Pixar for a long time, essentially alone in the top tier. Now Up has joined it there I wonder if it will still stay top of the pile for my next top 100 list?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 32
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 25/7/2012 9:51:07 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
The voice cast is uniformly lovely (who'd think you'd say that about Tim Allen but his flakeout tea party is one of the best bits of the film).  

That's always the bit that makes me laugh hardest.

"You see the hat? I am Mrs. Nesbitt!"

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 33
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 26/7/2012 12:55:33 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Not seen passion Fish but mu memory of The Last Seduction is that it was very, very good. Not as good as Toy Story though, which should be higher

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 34
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 26/7/2012 2:36:05 PM   
elab49

If you watch TTSS/Edge of Darkness I'll move it ......

Up next - a film that unsurprisingly featured in the back catalogue of a writer that got blacklisted, and another, rather different, animation.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 35
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 26/7/2012 3:44:41 PM   
elab49

I've just found my top 100 Animation draft - is the list going to go ahead sometime?

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 36
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 26/7/2012 4:10:23 PM   
Timbzy

There is a top 100 animation list? Can we all vote?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 37
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 26/7/2012 4:23:01 PM   
elab49

Forum lists are open to anyone

quote:

(in reply to Timbzy)
Post #: 38
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 26/7/2012 4:28:35 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

quote:

The voice cast is uniformly lovely (who'd think you'd say that about Tim Allen but his flakeout tea party is one of the best bits of the film).  

That's always the bit that makes me laugh hardest.

"You see the hat? I am Mrs. Nesbitt!"

Completely agree. "More tea, Mrs Nesbitt?" has me in stitches.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 39
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 26/7/2012 6:47:46 PM   
ElephantBoy

A good start keep it up.

The Last Seduction is the sort of thriller you just don't see enough anymore. Fiorentino is amazing in it too, can't believe they dropped her from the MIB series after the first film

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 40
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 26/7/2012 7:51:08 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

I've just found my top 100 Animation draft - is the list going to go ahead sometime?

It stalled for some reason last time I had it going. Tell you what, I'll get it up and running as long as there's a really short deadline.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 41
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 26/7/2012 9:02:08 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

If you watch TTSS/Edge of Darkness I'll move it ......

If I get them both watched this weekend will it end up in the top 10?

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 42
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 27/7/2012 3:28:49 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

It stalled for some reason last time I had it going. Tell you what, I'll get it up and running as long as there's a really short deadline.

That sounds like a great idea. Grunt work done, it just means trying to sort out some semblance of order

As well as the two above, I've currently got the next one up on - one whose remake I love almost as much but not, when I put this list together it seems, quite as much. And then, thankfully, one I've already blurbed and which has been reused again recently too.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 27/7/2012 3:30:37 PM >

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 43
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 28/7/2012 12:00:34 AM   
chris_scott01

Until I rewatched Toy Story last year I had completely forgotten how good it is. I don't think I've smiled/ laughed throughout a film's entire running time before this.

Haven't seen the others.

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 44
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 1/8/2012 3:59:37 PM   
elab49

The Talk of the Town (Stevens, 1942)

Escaped arsonist Leopold Dilg (Cary Grant) plan to hide out of the night at the house of local schoolteacher Nora Shelley (Jean Arthur) are undermined by the early arrival of her summer tenant – famous jurist Michael Lightcap (Ronald Colman). Occasional farce and discussions on law vs. justice ensue.  

It will surprise no-one that someone who wrote about social justice on screen eventually came to the notice of HUAC – Sidney Buchman, whose name appears on some wonderful screenplays in the 30s and 40s, was blacklisted in the 50s (I doubt Mr Smith Goes to Washington particularly helped his case either). The opposing views of Lightcap and Dilg are as central to the film as the love triangle (the outcome of which was only decided by the preview audiences seeing two different endings – sadly the other one doesn't seem to be around anymore) and create one of the screen's best bromances – Colman and Grant are a fabulous double act. My favourite scene is possibly where Colman knows he has to call the police and tells Grant. Grant knows this but also says he'll have to hit him to stop him. Colman knows this but must, still, use the phone – etc. Neither wants to take the step, both know, because it is who they are, that they will have to and utmost respect for the other makes them drag it out. Inevitably of course, and the nail in Buchman's coffin, Colman sets out to clear Dilg using some rather underhand methods (following the now rather more amusing shout of '15 years. Beaver!' (unless I'm mishearing something again).  

It's an unusual film with two major male stars up front rather than a lead and second male lead – it is what, technically, is supposed to make you wonder about the outcome of the love triangle side. Arthur is fine in the film (as usual) but it really does belong to the other two stars (although I particularly love her sparkyness in dealing with the police).   I find it curious how short a film CV Colman has. He's played a lot of well-known characters, but this film seems to have been useful for both male stars – it received multiple Oscar nominations although, come the ceremony, the tedious Miniver better suited the mood of the times.  

The pic below is a scene that almost makes me smile – this is Colman delivering a speech to the court on the importance of justice and that violence (i.e. the lynch mob) is bad. And that's Grant holding the chair just to make sure.  

See also – the Stevens that didn't make it, The More the Merrier.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 1/8/2012 4:00:50 PM >

quote:

(in reply to chris_scott01)
Post #: 45
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 1/8/2012 5:33:35 PM   
elab49

Up next - one half of the damndest double bills ever created. 

< Message edited by elab49 -- 1/8/2012 5:37:51 PM >

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 46
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 1/8/2012 5:55:51 PM   
rawlinson

The Talk of the Town is excellent. I think I'd take The More the Merrier over it though.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 47
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 1/8/2012 6:09:05 PM   
elab49

I bow before no-one in my love of Charles Coburn. Or Jean Arthur. Granted I'd have to cede McCrea to Maureen Stapleton, but even so.

What it came down to really was that Colman -Grant double act. I really love. But another day - could've been More the Merrier.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 48
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 2/8/2012 12:23:13 AM   
elab49

Grave of the Fireflies (Takahata, 1988)  

After their mother dies following the fire-bombing of Kobe, Seita and Setsuko go to stay with a relative, a nippy, selfish woman. Eventually teenage Seita decides that he and little Setsuko should strike out on their own, moving to a form of shelter by the water to live with the fireflies.  While fun at first, food runs out and money becomes meaningless and Seita's decision has devastating consequences.  

Grave had the oddest gestation. Miyazaki wanted to get Totoro out and the way they managed was by getting support from a publishing company that wanted to get into films – with an adaptation of Grave. With the historical side of the double-bill, it meant they could sell it to schools and Totoro would benefit as a result. Has anyone tried to replicate this? I'd recommend it – and, in case you need the recommendation, Grave first then Totoro. You need a Totoro after this.  Few films, animation or not, start with the death of a child in such appalling circumstances that the emotional connection is immediate.   Japan seems to have long dealt with the events of WWII more overly in manga/animation than any other medium. The recent animated biography of Yoshihiro Tatsumi, a key figure in creating a genre of manga not aimed at children, traces some of the background in how animation came to be used to work through national angst. Probably the two best known animated features that deal openly with events in

Japan at the end of WWII both feature children as protagonists – Barefoot Gen, old-fashioned in terms of animation but with some horribly painful moments and this, Grave of the Fireflies (although Grave is the later film it's from an earlier work – Nosaka's source novel, an autobiography that works through his guilt over his sister's death, appeared in the late 60s and Nakazawa's Barefoot Gen started its run in 1973). The fire-bombing segments are genuinely appalling – this isn't war or domination but purely punishment. Bombing countries into submission is a common strategy, but firebombing? Cities that contain homes primarily made from flammable materials? The idea of justification baffles me.  

The curious thing about Grave is that it is all about working through a deep-rooted guilt.  Remember this is based on an apology – and it is Seita's decision to strike out on his own that is partly to blame for what followed. His independence, his focus on his little sister overcame common sense. But he was still a young boy, with no adult acting as a guide. And at first it seems like a big adventure – buying/finding furniture, playing on a swing, using the fireflies to light their new home. But fireflies die, after such short lives – squashed by mistake by unthinking children, and shoved into graves by a little girl who knows more than she should.  So this isn't a Disney film. And when the children make decisions they don't go on celebrated adventures – they hit the real world like running into a wall. Stubbornly Seita refuses to even consider going back to what family they have – Setsuko becomes more ill, he tries to steal. But there is little hope here and the film (and presumably the book) seem very hard on Seita.

That two of my favourite animations are not entirely dissimilar is perhaps unsurprising – for all it is an apology to his little sister, the adaptation of Nosaka's work is a stark reminder of what happens after the glory and the victory of war, as is one of my choices further up this list. Grave knocked me flat the first time I saw it. I was still feeling my way through Japanese animation, learning how much I loathed a certain type of anime, but finding some real gems. Grave is, almost, the best of them.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 2/8/2012 12:25:02 AM >

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 49
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 2/8/2012 12:24:05 AM   
rawlinson

An amazing film, surely even Gimli appreciates this Ghibli?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 50
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 2/8/2012 12:24:55 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

An amazing film, surely even Gimli appreciates this Ghibli?

Not seen it! Have a copy somewhere.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 51
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 2/8/2012 12:33:10 AM   
elab49

Didn't you almost like one Ghibli - was it Only Yesterday? 

quote:

Post #: 52
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 2/8/2012 12:34:38 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I very much like Only Yesterday, And Whisper of The Heart isn't bad either. It's the fantasy ones I dislike.

Much more better!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 53
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 2/8/2012 12:36:44 AM   
rawlinson

I've never understood why, given how much you like fantasy elsewhere.

Post #: 54
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 2/8/2012 12:41:31 AM   
elab49

Well this is both Takahata (Only Yesterday) and not fantasy. Result!

Up next - No-one ever remembers this director's name.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 55
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 2/8/2012 1:39:42 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

I've never understood why, given how much you like fantasy elsewhere.

I haven't got a clue either.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 56
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 2/8/2012 3:42:32 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

Grave of the Fireflies (Takahata, 1988)  

After their mother dies following the fire-bombing of Kobe, Seita and Setsuko go to stay with a relative, a nippy, selfish woman. Eventually teenage Seita decides that he and little Setsuko should strike out on their own, moving to a form of shelter by the water to live with the fireflies.  While fun at first, food runs out and money becomes meaningless and Seita's decision has devastating consequences.  

Grave had the oddest gestation. Miyazaki wanted to get Totoro out and the way they managed was by getting support from a publishing company that wanted to get into films – with an adaptation of Grave. With the historical side of the double-bill, it meant they could sell it to schools and Totoro would benefit as a result. Has anyone tried to replicate this? I'd recommend it – and, in case you need the recommendation, Grave first then Totoro. You need a Totoro after this.  Few films, animation or not, start with the death of a child in such appalling circumstances that the emotional connection is immediate.   Japan seems to have long dealt with the events of WWII more overly in manga/animation than any other medium. The recent animated biography of Yoshihiro Tatsumi, a key figure in creating a genre of manga not aimed at children, traces some of the background in how animation came to be used to work through national angst. Probably the two best known animated features that deal openly with events in

Japan at the end of WWII both feature children as protagonists – Barefoot Gen, old-fashioned in terms of animation but with some horribly painful moments and this, Grave of the Fireflies (although Grave is the later film it's from an earlier work – Nosaka's source novel, an autobiography that works through his guilt over his sister's death, appeared in the late 60s and Nakazawa's Barefoot Gen started its run in 1973). The fire-bombing segments are genuinely appalling – this isn't war or domination but purely punishment. Bombing countries into submission is a common strategy, but firebombing? Cities that contain homes primarily made from flammable materials? The idea of justification baffles me.  

The curious thing about Grave is that it is all about working through a deep-rooted guilt.  Remember this is based on an apology – and it is Seita's decision to strike out on his own that is partly to blame for what followed. His independence, his focus on his little sister overcame common sense. But he was still a young boy, with no adult acting as a guide. And at first it seems like a big adventure – buying/finding furniture, playing on a swing, using the fireflies to light their new home. But fireflies die, after such short lives – squashed by mistake by unthinking children, and shoved into graves by a little girl who knows more than she should.  So this isn't a Disney film. And when the children make decisions they don't go on celebrated adventures – they hit the real world like running into a wall. Stubbornly Seita refuses to even consider going back to what family they have – Setsuko becomes more ill, he tries to steal. But there is little hope here and the film (and presumably the book) seem very hard on Seita.

That two of my favourite animations are not entirely dissimilar is perhaps unsurprising – for all it is an apology to his little sister, the adaptation of Nosaka's work is a stark reminder of what happens after the glory and the victory of war, as is one of my choices further up this list. Grave knocked me flat the first time I saw it. I was still feeling my way through Japanese animation, learning how much I loathed a certain type of anime, but finding some real gems. Grave is, almost, the best of them.

Very good film!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 57
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 2/8/2012 4:06:17 PM   
Rebel scum

Grave of the Fireflies is a great, great movie, though I'm not sure it's my favourite Ghibli.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 58
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 12/8/2012 4:25:50 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

Grave of the Fireflies is a great, great movie, though I'm not sure it's my favourite Ghibli.

Nor is it mine

quote:

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 59
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 12/8/2012 4:28:01 PM   
elab49

The Thing From Another World (Nyby/Hawks, 1951)

An Air Force crew head up to the top of the world to resupply a research base and investigate the report of the crash. Although the ship is accidentally destroyed they do manage to salvage something, frozen in a block of ice alongside the wreck. But ice melts….  

1951 confused cinema goers greatly. Either aliens were the beneficent (and occasionally stern) Michael Rennie here to help us mend our ways or they were violent blood-feeding carrots out to kill us all. Not the clearest message for a decade of paranoia.  

I think more people will probably have seen John Carpenter's take on the John W Campbell novella (which is one of the few that does genuinely stand as a separate adaptation rather than a thinly disguised remake – the later The Thing is actually more faithful to the original story). The Thing is one of my favourite horror movies and, were this list longer, would appear on it too. But in a face-off, for me, it's this version that wins.  

The acknowledgements for this film have changed over time. Varying accounts lay responsibility of the film either in Nyby's or Hawks' corner but personally I have little doubt that this is Hawks' film. You need look no further than pace and dialogue to support this – it's a 50s Sci-Fi that rattles through dialogue like 30s screwball. It's Lederer and Hecht, back together after His Girl Friday and going into overdrive in 1947. It's still fresh and sparkling, grown-up and intelligent. A scientist putting harmful invaders first, a subordinate who actually talks like he's thinking out loud sorting through options, a couple who behave and talk like adults not children. It's the forerunner and the best of the change in the B movie in the 50s as the US got paranoia and worried about being part of the nuclear world (tellingly the alien is detectable on a Geiger counter) that ends with a warning clearly harking back to both Welles and Murrow.  It's just a great and thoroughly enjoyable watch.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI