Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 23/7/2012 9:16:22 PM   
elab49

So. Anyone with even a passing knowledge of the Boards will be aware I'm crap at this whole listing thing. But a few years ago - I think for the first top 1000 - I was forced to put a list of 100 films together. It took an age. It's not been wasted though - rather than have to think about it again, I've resubmitted that list, used it to order others and to comment on what's in my top 10, etc. But I've never spent the proper time to think and update it.

In a bit of a mad turn I've just gone around the house and pulled out the 100 films that make up my list (well, 83 of them so far but the rest won't stay hidden for long). I thought I'd rewatch them and work out what's going, what's staying etc. But the advantage is I have a locked in order - I won't spend weeks faffing about what to put where, this is the 100 I put together. It might not be my top 100 when I finish - but at one point it was. I may even finish this one.

Not promising though.

101. My Fellow Americans (Segal, 1996)
100. Passion Fish (Sayles, 1992)
99.  The Last Seduction (Dahl, 1994)
98.  Toy Story (Lasseter, 1995)

< Message edited by elab49 -- 25/7/2012 9:03:23 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome
Post #: 1
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 23/7/2012 9:20:05 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Seriously, how do you folks find the time to come up with all these lists so relentlessly?

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 23/7/2012 9:21:35 PM   
elab49

I honestly don't  - this would have been about 2008, 2009? I was looking at the sport saturation over the next couple of weeks and working out what to watch. This helps with that too 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 3
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 23/7/2012 9:22:50 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Fair enough.

Speaking of lists, did the forums best of 2011 ever get finished? The last time I saw it we were approaching the top 10.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 23/7/2012 9:24:03 PM   
elab49

I feel shame every time I think of that. I should just sort out the pics and throw them all in at one go. 

quote:

Post #: 5
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 23/7/2012 9:34:25 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Well if you have the time, that'd be great.

Or alternatively, you could just rescind all the votes & state (accurately) that A Separation was the best film of 2011.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 24/7/2012 12:20:27 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Should be good!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 7
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 24/7/2012 10:56:48 PM   
rawlinson

You know that top 600 I finished a month ago? I'm already unhappy with it. You know that top 100 of the 2000s I'm doing right now? Unhappy with it. I have no idea how you'll cope with a list that's about three years old.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 8
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 24/7/2012 11:07:54 PM   
elab49

I think what'll be interesting is when I start slotting the 100 into my viewed list for the year - how will it change just doing that? But it's the first one I ever put together so I'm going to treat it as an historical document 

Also, just realised that technically it's 101 films - I can't remember doing that! So the first film up is actually number 101.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 9
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 24/7/2012 11:10:44 PM   
rawlinson

I think I remember what your 101 was. Was it from 1996 or was that a bit higher?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 10
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 24/7/2012 11:16:44 PM   
elab49

No, that's the one 

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 11
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 24/7/2012 11:21:27 PM   
rawlinson

Who knew you were such a big fan of Eraser?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 12
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 24/7/2012 11:38:44 PM   
elab49

For some reason I thought this first film was number 100, but it turned out I added on a 101st film to my list, so I'm including it here anyway.

It was a deliberate choice to close out my list (like making sure to add A Trip to the Moon to the pre-30s list), a perfect example of comfort viewing. The ones you watch over and over and over again, that make you smile, or help numb you to the world and you over-rank because of that fondness. It's why 'One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing' is so high in my list this year and why I spent so much time looking out Viva Max. It's a list that includes a ton of SF/genre B movies – Independence Day, Deep Blue Sea, Dog Soldiers. Love 'em all. But it just so happens that the representative of them here features two of my favourite actors sparking off each other quite quite beautifully, and I love every minute.

My Fellow Americans (Segal, 1996)

Ex-Presidents Russell Kramer (Republican) and Matt Douglas (Democrat) (Jack Lemmon and James Garner respectively) are passing time writing books and going to funerals while the incumbent, Republican Dan Aykroyd, is looking to pass the buck on some financial kickbacks. One failed assassination later and the two are travelling the back-roads of the US with some mild-Sullivan's Travels-esque moralising.  

You can tell the film comes from people with slick sit-com backgrounds – the sniping one-liners come thick and fast but, and this is important, they have two masters to deliver them -  Lemmon, switching between doddery and sharp and Garner, wise-cracking and laconic. There are some delicious performances in support particularly Lauren Bacall, more fun as she gets older, the lovely Wilfrid Brimley, Aykroyd and aide Bradley Whitford, and John Heard in full-on Dan Quayle mode.  They make 'Hail to the Chief' impossible to hear again with a straight face and show just how helpful Dorothy can be to her friends.  And the leads just seem to be having so much fun.  

If only for the joy of the exchange  
James Garner: Screw You
Jack Lemmon: Blow me  

This is a film I will adore for all time.  

< Message edited by elab49 -- 24/7/2012 11:39:28 PM >

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 13
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 25/7/2012 5:38:01 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Great film. Lemmon and Garner are perfect.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 14
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 25/7/2012 7:53:56 AM   
impqueen

I’ve never seen it so I will get a copy.

Yes, always.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 15
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 25/7/2012 12:39:17 PM   
nomimalone

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

I’ve never seen it so I will get a copy.

Ditto. I don't remember your list from first time around, elab, so I'm looking forward to this incarnation.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 16
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 25/7/2012 12:43:55 PM   
elab49

I've never ever ever posted a top 100 films list on Empire. I am remiss and a coward and stuff like that. 

quote:

(in reply to nomimalone)
Post #: 17
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 25/7/2012 1:14:09 PM   
nomimalone

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I've never ever ever posted a top 100 films list on Empire. I am remiss and a coward and stuff like that. 

I don't blame you. It seems like a good idea, then you think of all the work and time it will take and boring stuff, like life, gets in the way.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 18
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 25/7/2012 3:01:12 PM   
elab49

Passion Fish (Sayles, 1992)

Passion Fish begins with daytime soap opera star May-Alice Culhane in a real-life hospital, resolutely refusing to come to terms with her future as a paraplegic. Bitter and terrified she retreats to her childhood home to torment a parade of agency nurses. Last in the line of these is Chantelle, a young woman trying to escape demons of her own and the two women begin to take tentative steps towards finding a way back into actually living their lives. 

It'll become pretty clear on this list that John Sayles is one of my favourite directors (and writers although, sadly, I couldn't quite fit in either Piranha or Battle Beyond the Stars).  He creates amazingly detailed communities in such a short space of time, and constructs delicately layered characters, giving strong roles to well-chosen performers.  The music in his films is almost uniformly great.  

In Passion Fish he draws May-Alice's Louisiana childhood world lightly - a former bitch from high school, an old flame, trapped in worlds of limited vision. We spend time drifting on a lake, the pace of May-Alice's life slowed to a crawl in tune with her surroundings.  There are occasional incursions from the outside world. There are visits from May-Alice's former co-stars (a little over actory but as they are over-actory actors, it's forgivable), a business manager, and, for Chantelle, more poignant memories of her past. This isn't just a tale of the intelligent and angry May-Alice.  And even though Chantelle is moving past the very bad mistakes she has made and is even setting down some roots, I do wonder if some of the core issues might still be there. Sayles emphasises her child-like qualities. Although she is an adult, a qualified nurse, she is often framed oddly, e.g., sitting back on a big bed with feet not touching the floor like a little girl and her clothes and movements contribute to this. When her father visits she uses the infantilising term 'daddy' and is generally submissive to him – and it is surely an initial rebellion to get away from this that resulted in the mistakes she made with the man she chose as a replacement. Wide-eyed and stubborn, her need to do the job she is there for provides a perfect foil for her boss/companion.  

Mary McDonnell was deservedly Oscar nominated for her lead performance.  Just watch the smaller movements – the glance up under her eyelashes as she tries to act out in physiotherapy, the flashes of vulnerability reaching out from under the frontage of 'I don't care, I hate the world and the world hates me'. She should have won. And the lack of a place for Alfre Woodard is shocking. There are nice turns from Vondie Curtis-Hall as the local lothario aiming for Chantelle, and David Strathairn as Rennie, trapped by a woman gone to God, and a lovely gentle scene between McDonnell and Tom Wright (as the man Chantelle made the mistakes with). 

In terms of subject matter this might be the kind of film some would write off as a women's film but there is a universe of difference between something like Passion Fish and the latest Hallmark move of the week. The strength of the performances and the bitterness of the humour engage the heart and the head in one of the best films of the 90s.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 25/7/2012 3:02:09 PM >

quote:

(in reply to nomimalone)
Post #: 19
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 25/7/2012 3:02:47 PM   
elab49

Up next - Another of the best female performances to grace the cinema screen, no matter how the Academy saw it. 

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 20
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 25/7/2012 3:07:24 PM   
hubu_phonk

^ Batpussy

Straight in, no kissing

http://www.last.fm/user/hubuphonk

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 21
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 25/7/2012 3:09:49 PM   
elab49

Aaaah, Hubu - this list is going to be such a disappointment to you. 

quote:

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 22
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 25/7/2012 3:11:51 PM   
hubu_phonk

quote:

Aaaah, Hubu - this list is going to be such a disappointment to you. 

Not at all, but i always hope

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 25/7/2012 3:12:09 PM >

Straight in, no kissing

http://www.last.fm/user/hubuphonk

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 23
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 25/7/2012 5:43:28 PM   
impqueen

Passion Fish is a phenomenal film.

Yes, always.

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 24
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 25/7/2012 6:15:33 PM   
nomimalone

Another I haven't seen. I have a feeling this list may show up a lot of gaps in my viewing.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 25
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 25/7/2012 7:59:55 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

Passion Fish

a women's film

All you needed.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 26
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 25/7/2012 8:10:16 PM   
elab49

The Last Seduction (Dahl, 1994)

Ostensibly because of a slap, Bridget Gregory does a runner with the proceeds of her medic-in-training husband's drug deal. Out of gas in the ass end of nowhere, she stays, on lawyer's advice, and proceeds to play troubled 'farmboy' Mike Swale like Yo-Yo Ma does a cello. Her objective – a free pass back home to New York without losing a cent of her ill-gotten gains. 

It's sadly common for modern noir to rely on the stereotypes of the genre adding nothing of its own. The Last Seduction does not fall into the trap of thinking a few shots through shaded blinds is sufficient to justify its existence – twisty and nasty, it depends on character to state its case. We're introduced to Bridget in a scene that would make Glengarry's Blake drool – stalking a call centre, offering a reward and beating down on the feckless losers trying to make a sale.  Through the film she is never less than in control – spotting her mark, using him for what she needs while planning her end game. It's a tour-de-force from Fiorentino in the lead. Granted, it might be all she can play but her half sneering smile and taunting pout she owns the screen and every man on it. Bill Pullman's Clay actually might be the best match for her – he gets her and is almost as bad as she is. It's just a pity for him that he's in her way. It's a marvellously snivelling performance from an actor who's had an odder career than some might realise.  

In terms of character, the creation of Mike Swale might be the most impressive of the three. A small town boy who tried to make it in the bigger world and was shocked into an early return. 20:20 hindsight gives a deeper context to his earlier interactions in the bar with his friends and passing females and his later need for the relationship with Bridget. That she then uses it as a blunt instrument to push him over the edge reinforces how fragile the character was in the first place.  The town itself is painted in lovely small touches, but in ways that put us fully behind Bridget's desire to get out – they people there are sweet enough to drown you.   Finally, there's a small role for the great JT Walsh.  

SPOILERS

In the deleted scene he actually turns up as Mike's lawyer as well but I'm glad they changed it. Dahl says it's because he thought the audience wouldn't make the connection, but that's pretty silly – the real reason has to be that the need to put him in there would undermine the completeness of Bridget's competence and that is not what this film is about.  
SPOILERS OVER

So little seemed to come out of this for the people involved. Linda Fiorentino seems to have all but given up acting now, after choosing badly with Jade after this. A couple of noteworthy roles (Dogma and Men in Black) did nothing to maintain her career. Peter Berg had a couple of decent roles (Copland and on TV in Chicago Hope) but seems to just do cameos now while directing bad movies and director John Dahl side-stepped pretty quickly into TV and never really left it again (his latest IMDB credit being the US remake of dreadful Brit-trash Bad Girls).  

But in Last Seduction they all came together to make arguably the greatest of modern US noirs and create one of the great female characters in cinema history – Bridget Gregory.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 25/7/2012 8:11:03 PM >

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 27
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 25/7/2012 8:11:38 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

Passion Fish

a women's film

All you needed.

Cheeky fecker

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 28
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 25/7/2012 8:17:39 PM   
impqueen

Linda Fiorentino has a reputation for being difficult (allegedly) which is a grand shame because she is stunning in The Last Seduction and I agree another female performance completely ignored when the Awards Idiots came through town, though BAFTA did nominate her.

Yes, always.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 29
RE: My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project - 25/7/2012 8:29:31 PM   
elab49

I just don't get how HBO couldn't have known the rule. Muppets 

I've been reading that about her today - I was surprised to see nothing on her IMDB page for years.

quote:

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> My Lazy Top 100 Rewatch Project Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI