Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Russell Crowe On For Bill Hicks Film

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Russell Crowe On For Bill Hicks Film Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Russell Crowe On For Bill Hicks Film - 23/7/2012 6:17:11 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
I respectfully disagree - 23/7/2012 6:17:11 PM   
Dr Science

JGL or RR? No. This role should not go to a name star - too much baggage. It needs to be someone with experience of performing on stage in a hostile environment - another stand-up or a young actor with lots of theatre experience, I'd look to the sit-coms and comedy dramas for the actor.

But one thing I'm pretty certain of - with Crowe in charge it is likely that whoever gets the role will not be american - I expect it'll be someone from Australia, New Zealand, Britain or Canada.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Bill Hicks early Bill Maher - 23/7/2012 7:40:30 PM   
Bender2

Like Bill Maher, all Bill Hicks comedy is all anti-American and plays great to a far-left audience but any film about him will be a financial failure. The majority of film goers do not hate the USA and traditional American Values while any and all fans of Bill Hicks/Bill Maher do hate the US with a passion..

Post #: 3
RE: Bill Hicks early Bill Maher - 23/7/2012 9:06:21 PM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

Oh, would you look at that - a Bill O' Reilly viewer.

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

(in reply to Bender2)
Post #: 4
RE: Russell Crowe On For Bill Hicks Film - 23/7/2012 9:12:48 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bender2

Like Bill Maher, all Bill Hicks comedy is all anti-American and plays great to a far-left audience but any film about him will be a financial failure. The majority of film goers do not hate the USA and traditional American Values while any and all fans of Bill Hicks/Bill Maher do hate the US with a passion..

Actually go listen to one of Hick's comedy albums and you will find that he was never anti-American. He just didn't like the people who were running the country.

As for Russell Crowe playing Hicks, Crowe is a good actor but I just don't see it. I was thinking maybe Tom Hardy or Eric Bana. Ryan Reynolds as Hicks? Oh, come on, Mr De Semlyen.

EDIT - Ah, OK, I thought Crowe was playing Hicks. My bad.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 24/7/2012 12:02:09 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 5
- 23/7/2012 9:32:45 PM   
HarryBalsach

Bill Hicks, anti-American? I guess if you think of people like Ben Franklin, Teddy Roosevelt, John F Kennedy or Abraham Lincoln "anti-American" because at least one thing they had in common with Bill Hicks was that they all taught us to stand up to tyrannical rule, in any form. Thank you to all of the above and es

Post #: 6
- 23/7/2012 9:36:03 PM   
HarryBalsach

Especially thank you to Bill Hicks for making me laugh at things that are too damned insane to be fiction...

Post #: 7
Two Words - 24/7/2012 12:50:56 PM   
blindfold

Sam Rockwell

Post #: 8
Casting - 24/7/2012 12:52:38 PM   
Crooked Little Crow

Ok, so, to be completely out there on this on but hey, why the hell not....Keith Coogan!! Strange one I know, but Adventures in babysitting was on last weekend and I took one look at a young Keith Coogan and thought he looked like a young Bill Hick. Put a wig on him now and hey, there's my suggestion! Google image him if ya not sure.

Post #: 9
Casting - 24/7/2012 1:09:34 PM   
Crooked Little Crow

Ok, so, to be completely out there on this on but hey, why the hell not....Keith Coogan!! Strange one I know, but Adventures in babysitting was on last weekend and I took one look at a young Keith Coogan and thought he looked like a young Bill Hick. Put a wig on him now and hey, there's my suggestion! Google image him if ya not sure.

Post #: 10
Is a biopic necessary ... - 24/7/2012 4:23:07 PM   
cjmcc5150

... I think I would rather Just A Ride, One Night Stand, Relentless, Revelations, Sane Man and Totally were all shown on the big screen. I mean, come on ... can you come up with anyone who could play our favourite dark poet better than the man himself? Oh well, if nothing else it will be interesting to see how it is marketed given Bills well known stance on that particular subject!

Post #: 11
- 24/7/2012 4:41:27 PM   
billypunk

I think the guy who plays Jim in the newsroom would be a good choice.

Post #: 12
- 24/7/2012 4:59:00 PM   
billypunk

I think the guy who plays Jim in the newsroom would be a good choice.

Post #: 13
- 24/7/2012 5:21:04 PM   
sinaplenty

Casting-wise, my instinct was Sam Rockwell but as that's been taken I reckon Eric Bana could make a good stab at it...former stand-up (although filming anyone on stage doing Hicks' routines seems like suicide) and has shown he can definitely do menacing and crazy. BUT, that's assuming Crowe can get past his natural po-faced attitude to film-making - there was plenty of tragedy in Hicks' life but surely a biopic needs to be at least blackly funny?

Post #: 14
CHRIS MASLEN! - 24/7/2012 11:39:36 PM   
stevejones22

I think (yet) unknown American actor Chris Maslen out of Seattle would be PERFECT. He performed stand-up for a few years and went on some pretty spot-on Bill Hicks inspired rants that I caught a few times. Then I subsequently caught him a production of Othello at the Seattle Shakespeare Company. POLAR-opposite characterizations. I've spoken with Chris a few times about his stand-up and acting history (which, theatre-wise, is pretty expansive) and he apparently has Bill's Flying Saucer Tour all the way up to Rant in E Minor memorized forwards and backwards.

Anyone know where submissions are being taken? I know it's a long shot, but I'd love to contact him and tell him to get on it.

Seriously. Chris Maslen. Google him. Not much out there, but his future is promising and this seems to be tailor-made for him!

Post #: 15
- 25/7/2012 12:35:17 AM   
Potpan

Two words Bill Hicks!! But he's dead so.... What the hell .... Jay Leno. If your gonna trample on a mans legacy why not go "hog wild"? In fact why not Billy-Ray Sirus or Rush Limbaugh. How about both George Bush's (Bushes)?. Fuck Keith Coogan, what about Steve Coogan? Or the Dali Lama or the guy with the tash of On The Buses? Or even the woman of On The Buses, you know the one who's incomparable to Bill Hicks. Wait is any one comparable to Bill Hicks?? Oh Sam Rockwell he'd be good! Travesty!! #jussayin

Post #: 16
what about - 25/7/2012 8:47:13 AM   
bixieface

Michael McIntyre. In the right light a dead ringer. He can do accents and he knows comedy. the only question is whether he can access a dark side

Post #: 17
RE: what about - 25/7/2012 5:00:48 PM   
Jack'sSmirkinRevenge

You should be deeply ashamed of yourself for ever uttering the idea of such an abomination

Pull my finger

(in reply to bixieface)
Post #: 18
RE: what about - 26/7/2012 1:05:17 PM   
UTB

Seems pretty pointless to me - anyone with a passing interest in Hicks should check out the several stand up dvds with extra features, the books and American: The Bill Hicks Story. Everything you need is those.

(in reply to Jack'sSmirkinRevenge)
Post #: 19
RE: what about - 26/7/2012 1:59:32 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: bixieface

Michael McIntyre. In the right light a dead ringer. He can do accents and he knows comedy. the only question is whether he can access a dark side

Aha, so this is where all the wrong congregates.

Agree with UTB, this is a completely pointless exercise. American: The Bill Hicks Story is a pretty definitive look at his life as is It's Just a Ride off the Totally Bill Hicks DVD.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to bixieface)
Post #: 20
RE: Two Words - 27/7/2012 11:13:15 AM   
Wild about Wilder

quote:

ORIGINAL: blindfold

Sam Rockwell

Good shout!

(in reply to blindfold)
Post #: 21
RE: Two Words - 29/7/2012 9:53:30 PM   
TheSpleen

No idea why but I've got a hunch it'll be an actor everyone hates but does a stellar job in the end. Perhaps a full out comic after a good character role.

Failing that I'm gonna predict James Franco gets a 'rumoured to be' nod soon.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 22
RE: Two Words - 30/7/2012 9:45:59 AM   
Wild about Wilder

NOT FUCKING SEAN PENN!!!
Ooooopps sorry it's only me that really hates him.

(in reply to TheSpleen)
Post #: 23
RE: Two Words - 30/7/2012 9:49:47 AM   
TheSpleen

Come on Mike Myers

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 24
Chris Maslen - 24/1/2014 2:02:56 AM   
stevejones22

I was a huge advocate for this guy...looks like he caught wind of it. Check out his audition video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U46NByDO-1U

Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Russell Crowe On For Bill Hicks Film Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI