Your First Match

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Your First Match Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Your First Match - 22/7/2012 1:39:03 PM   
horribleives

Newcastle v Middlesborough, Division Two, Wed Sept 8, 1982, 1-1.
Can't remember a hell of a lot about it (I was 5) other than a little bald bloke in a grey suit next to us jumping up and down on the bench after Mick Channon scored and - the best bit - Kevin Keegan winking at me before he took a throw-in. Oh and my mam knitting me and my brother black and white bobble hats. This was also the first and last time I would watch a match in a seat until 1994. Scoreboard 'til death, me (well, 'til they knocked the Gallowgate end down anyway).

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.
Post #: 1
RE: Your First Match - 22/7/2012 1:47:33 PM   
Olaf

Why pay to see a football match when you can buy a Sky Sports subscription instead? And there was no such thing as football in 1982.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 2
RE: Your First Match - 22/7/2012 1:54:14 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

Why pay to see a football match when you can buy a Sky Sports subscription instead? And there was no such thing as football in 1982.

I didn't, me dad did. I do believe the pie came out of my pocket money though.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 3
RE: Your First Match - 22/7/2012 2:48:24 PM   
directorscut

Republic of Ireland vs England, International Friendly 15th Feb, 1995, 1-0

Yeah, that went well.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 4
RE: Your First Match - 22/7/2012 2:52:18 PM   
Rhubarb

Feel like that probably explains quite a bit.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 5
RE: Your First Match - 22/7/2012 5:13:23 PM   
ChickMagnet

19 May 1984 Aberdeen vs Celtic - Scottish Cup Final (2-1 win for Aberdeen)

God bless him my Dons supporting old man thought I could be swayed from the allure of Green and White by watching his team do us over in the Scottish Cup Final, how wrong he was

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 6
RE: Your First Match - 22/7/2012 6:06:17 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 7
RE: Your First Match - 22/7/2012 6:36:55 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Never been so shamed watching a football match.

My first experience was as a nipper watching Chesterfield vs. Sheff Utd with my uncle. He felt the atmosphere was a bit ugly so we left at half time. I was wondering why so many of the crowd knew the policewoman and were shouting her name (Les) at her

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 8
RE: Your First Match - 22/7/2012 9:40:13 PM   
silverado

Football Oct 1995 Tottenham 0 v 1 Nottingham Forest (Premiership)

Steve Stone ruined my day with a flukey winner.

Tennis July 2003 Bjorkman/Woodbridge v Erlich/Ram

At Wimbledon with a ground pass, first match a mens doubles semi final on the old court 3.

Cricket April 2008 Kent v New Zealand

The first day of a tour match, Kent batted all day for the loss of just 1 wicket. Rob Key and James Tredwell hitting centuries.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 9
RE: Your First Match - 22/7/2012 10:41:31 PM   
boaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChickMagnet

God bless him my Dons supporting old man thought I could be swayed from the allure of Green and White by watching his team do us over in the Scottish Cup Final, how wrong he was

Eric Black. Some overrated wee radge for rasellickbyrawaybigmanbut. Mark McGhee winner. Yas min. 3 Scottish Cups in a row. Beautiful.

Your poor soul of a father. I'd struggle to recover if a child of mine supported them over the Dons.

my first match was vs Hibs at Pittodrie. We were in the old Wing Stand which, for those familiar with the hallowed grun', was in the corner of the Main Stand and Beach End. Wooden seats. Family stand before the Paddock was lost to screaching bairns. I must've been 7 or 8, my wee brother 4 or 5. My Dad wasn't overly interested in fitba - Man Utd fan now like, gads min - so I had to nip his heid for ages to go along. So that my Mum wasn't lonely she came too. She clapped when Hibs hit the bar, not quite grasping competitive sport. My wee bro and I were black affronted. She's nae yet been allowed back. Dons won, as per in those days, 2-0.

First away match was at Dens. Uncle took me. Maybe 11 year old. God was manager anyway. Duncan Shearer shot from the kick-off. 'keeper tipped it over for a corner. Finished 1 each. Gutted.

First Scotland match: Scotland U-21s 4-3 Germany U-21s at Pittodrie. Was the 2nd leg of the Euro Championship QF. First leg was 1-1. Handful of Dons in the team: Jess, Booth, maybe Micky Watt, Stephen Wright. Ze Germans were 3-1 up at HT. Scots fought back, Alex Rae - the wee tink - scored a screamer of a volley from about 20 yards into the top corner with a minute to go to win it. Craig Broon was manager. That was probably the game that scared the bejeezus out of him and began the trend toward awful football we now see weekly. Still my favourite ever game. Last time I ever sat in the old Beach End. Sigh.

I was falling in love with football just as its soul was dying.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 10
RE: Your First Match - 23/7/2012 10:07:03 AM   
Skiba

Crystal Palace v Chelsea, December 26th 1989 - 2-2

My Mum's friend from work spent Christmas with us that year (and many after), and he was a Chelsea fan. He was going to the game and Crystal Palace is not far from where we lived, and he took me along. I was into football but didn't really have a team I supported...I think I floated between Liverpool, Arsenal, Palace. Oh the shame. Anyway, being Boxing Day, it was a good crowd and it was a pretty good game. From memory, I think that Kerry Dixon scored first but Palace went 2-1 up. Graeme Le Saux came off the bench to snatch a late equaliser. I then went to every Chelsea home game that season, plus a few away days as well.

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 11
RE: Your First Match - 23/7/2012 10:20:20 AM   
impqueen

Living in another country made if difficult but eventually…

11th January 1997

Nottingham Forest 2 - 0 Chelsea

It was awesome despite the result, we were in the Forest family end and there were five Chelsea fans along with my father and I. We were very close to the pitch and I freaked out a little when Zola was taking corners, he was so tiny and brilliant. It was freezing.

Yes, always.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 12
RE: Your First Match - 23/7/2012 12:48:31 PM   
Harry Tuttle

My dad wasn't into football and my Uncle was a die hard Liverpool supporter (who I'd disappointed by aligning with Man Utd) so my first game was courtesy of my school mate and his dad. Everton v Crystal Palace, March 17 1990. Everton won 4-0 courtesy of a goal each by Whiteside and Sharpe and a brace by Cottee. He also had 2 goals disallowed for offside as well.

The Toffees have been my 2nd team since. I always like to see them do well against everyone but Utd.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 13
RE: Your First Match - 23/7/2012 1:41:22 PM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

quote:

Eric Black. Some overrated wee radge for rasellickbyrawaybigmanbut. Mark McGhee winner. Yas min. 3 Scottish Cups in a row. Beautiful.

Your poor soul of a father. I'd struggle to recover if a child of mine supported them over the Dons.

Is it wrong that as soon as I posted this, I knew boaby'd reply

Blame the old man for me following Celtic anyway, with him being very pushy that I follow my hometown team, forgetting that as I'm a weegie, that would be either Tic or t'other lot, not Aberdeen which were HIS hometown team.

You want to make it even worse for ChickMagnet Sr? We've both spent the majority of our lives in England and follow English clubs, as I lived in Grimsby for most of my life I follow Grimsby Town - he spent most of his life in Scunthorpe so supports Grimsby's biggest rivals: Scunthorpe United.

He grew up watching Leeds United, and on my first day of Primary School in Grimsby I got picked on for not having an English First Division Team (Premier League? Pish off!!). Came home and started asking my Dad what First Division Teams wear red (my favourite colour - as I was 5 at the time this was important to me) - lord bless him he thought he'd try and bamboozle me by telling me Aberdeen wear red, didn't work. First suggestion was Liverpool, turned that down as I don't like eating Liver (once again, I was 5), next was Arsenal and I weighed that up for a while before deciding I'd end up getting in trouble for using the word Arse and it wasn't worth the risk, he suggested Manchester United, and I proudly declared myself a Manchester United fan and skipped off - that was 27 years ago now, I don't think he's ever forgiven me,

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 14
RE: Your First Match - 23/7/2012 3:59:20 PM   
boaby

quote:

quote:

quote:

Blame the old man for me following Celtic anyway, with him being very pushy that I follow my hometown team, forgetting that as I'm a weegie, that would be either Tic or t'other lot, not Aberdeen which were HIS hometown team.

He'll face disciplinary action in the court of the Red Army. Dereliction of duty at minimum. High treason more likely.

I take it ye didn't fancy Plastic Whistle or Queens Park then?

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

Post #: 15
RE: Your First Match - 23/7/2012 5:59:41 PM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He'll face disciplinary action in the court of the Red Army. Dereliction of duty at minimum. High treason more likely.

I take it ye didn't fancy Plastic Whistle or Queens Park then?

Noooooo, whenever I'm back in the Weeg, Almost all of my relatives have been die hard Gers, constantly coming out with the whole 'We are the People' crap amongst other stuff - if anything they drove me to Celtic

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 16
RE: Your First Match - 25/7/2012 11:40:32 PM   
James2183

Southampton 3 - 1 Man Utd

The infamous grey kit change at half time

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Your First Match Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI