Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Director A or Director B - who's better?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Director A or Director B - who's better? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Director A or Director B - who's better? - 21/7/2012 1:27:04 PM   
matty_b

Hopefully this will give some insight into how people rate directors against one another.

So, we have Director A. He's directed around a dozen films, and two of them are two of the best films to be found in their particular genre or of their particular decade. However, the rest of his output is patchy - a couple of decent films, some mediocre stuff and some out-and-out terrible films.

Then we have Director B. He's directed about the same number of films as Director A, but has never made anything as good as him. However, he is much more consistent in general - he's made some really good films and has rarely done anything mediocre.

So, who's better?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 1
RE: Director A or Director B - who's better? - 21/7/2012 1:38:13 PM   
Bloke from Oz

This sounds very much like a Versus thread, and we ALL know what the Mods think of those.....

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1342/jamesbondsia6.jpg

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 2
RE: Director A or Director B - who's better? - 21/7/2012 1:41:35 PM   
matty_b

It would be a versus thread if we were actually comparing named people.

We're not, it's more about how you weigh up the value of one director's output against another.

quote:

(in reply to Bloke from Oz)
Post #: 3
RE: Director A or Director B - who's better? - 21/7/2012 1:59:34 PM   
elab49

FFS - posting fail

General, it's not a v's thread although it's not far off the how many bombs till you stop being first in queue on opening day discussion.

I think directors are generally judged on their best work. If there are only one or two that stands out you might then think that the successes were less down to him and more a fortunate confluence of other talents which he managed to manage - and the lesser works him by himself. Or perhaps a director that gets lazy and doesn't care. I'd tend to think the former though.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 4
RE: Director A or Director B - who's better? - 21/7/2012 2:17:02 PM   
Scruffybobby

I'd tend to go with the more consistent director as being the better one overall. I think I'd rather be known for a career's worth of good quality rather than one or two examples of greatness that I couldn't match.  I suppose it just depends how you'd want to be seen. Maybe having one or two great moments might be better

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5
RE: Director A or Director B - who's better? - 21/7/2012 9:24:27 PM   
rich

Someone who made something that was revered will always be referred to as the director of awesome Movie B. Someone who made a lot of mediocre films will probably just be forgotten.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 6
RE: Director A or Director B - who's better? - 21/7/2012 9:29:19 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Hopefully this will give some insight into how people rate directors against one another.

So, we have Director A. He's directed around a dozen films, and two of them are two of the best films to be found in their particular genre or of their particular decade. However, the rest of his output is patchy - a couple of decent films, some mediocre stuff and some out-and-out terrible films.

Then we have Director B. He's directed about the same number of films as Director A, but has never made anything as good as him. However, he is much more consistent in general - he's made some really good films and has rarely done anything mediocre.

So, who's better?

Are you saying its Ridley vs Tony then?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 7
RE: Director A or Director B - who's better? - 21/7/2012 10:09:12 PM   
Prophet_of_Doom

I think this is a very difficult debate without actually using names or examples and with such an arbitrary number of films to their credit. You generally have directors with a large output which includes some brilliant work and some mediocrity (Scorsese, Lynch, Spielberg, Cronenberg, Soderburgh etc) or directors whom are consistent with moments of sublime brilliance that might be comparable but who haven't the body of work to be deserving of comparison yet (Winding Refn for instance). I can't think of any directors who have shot a relatively small amount of movies (compared to the big guns) who have been absolutely consistent. Coen, Fincher, Gus Van Sant, Von Trier, Linklater, etc all have plenty of mediocre films on their CVs as well as moments of brilliance. There are the likes of Alexander Payne, David O Russell etc who are the first who come to mind who are relatively consistent, but anyone who thinks they are the better directors are patently insane!

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 8
RE: Director A or Director B - who's better? - 22/7/2012 12:55:43 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

So, who's better?

That's what I assumed.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 9
RE: Director A or Director B - who's better? - 22/7/2012 1:58:15 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

So, who's better?

That's what I assumed.

Then its the Ridley's of this world. I'd rather have a director who gave us one or two great films (even though Ridley has given us at least five great films) than a director who has made a dozen average films.

Put it this way, who do you respect more as a filmmaker, Bruce Robinson or Brett Ratner?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 10
RE: Director A or Director B - who's better? - 22/7/2012 7:14:07 AM   
homersimpson_esq

That's not a fair comparison because the Director B's traits are that they have rarely done anything mediocre. Since the entirety of Ratner's output is mediocre at the very best, he's clearly not a contender for Director B.

I think someone like ... actually, I was just looking through my DVDs for inspiration for someone who fits the bill of Director B and I'm struggling. Most directors have done one or two great, great films to discount them from that category. Although the fact I'm looking through my DVDs doesn't help: obviously there are going to be lots of films I consider to be really, really great, on account of having bought them.

Maybe most would consider someone like Ang Lee, though I reckon he has made a few great films.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 11
RE: Director A or Director B - who's better? - 22/7/2012 8:14:46 AM   
UTB

Director B all the way.

I appreciate A has given us some genre defining classics but I'm more appreciative that a good director like B is consistent and reliable, and whilst they might not be genre defining, are always entertaining.

Post #: 12
RE: Director A or Director B - who's better? - 22/7/2012 8:20:38 AM   
thedrin

quote:

That's not a fair comparison because the Director B's traits are that they have rarely done anything mediocre. Since the entirety of Ratner's output is mediocre at the very best, he's clearly not a contender for Director B.

I think someone like ... actually, I was just looking through my DVDs for inspiration for someone who fits the bill of Director B and I'm struggling. Most directors have done one or two great, great films to discount them from that category. Although the fact I'm looking through my DVDs doesn't help: obviously there are going to be lots of films I consider to be really, really great, on account of having bought them.

Maybe most would consider someone like Ang Lee, though I reckon he has made a few great films.

Ron Howard was my first thought. Consistently good but never great. Bryan Singer would be another.

Post #: 13
RE: Director A or Director B - who's better? - 22/7/2012 8:28:18 AM   
Timbzy

Bryan Singer? There wasn't a Director C (One good movie followed by junk). Ron Howard? There wasn't a Director D (A few okay films, a few mediocre and a few bad).

(in reply to thedrin)
Post #: 14
RE: Director A or Director B - who's better? - 22/7/2012 9:00:26 AM   
vader100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timbzy

Bryan Singer? There wasn't a Director C (One good movie followed by junk). Ron Howard? There wasn't a Director D (A few okay films, a few mediocre and a few bad).

Guess that shows how subjective it can be. Singer did The Usual Suspects and X men 2 which for me puts him in Director A bracket.

You can't take the sky from me

(in reply to Timbzy)
Post #: 15
RE: Director A or Director B - who's better? - 22/7/2012 9:37:13 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: thedrin

quote:

Ron Howard was my first thought. Consistently good but never great.

I have to disagree. Apollo 13's a bloody great film, arguably his best. I also personally love Willow and The Paper, the latter in particular being vastly underrated.

But as people have pointed out it's all somewhat subjective.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to thedrin)
Post #: 16
RE: Director A or Director B - who's better? - 22/7/2012 10:41:55 AM   
matty_b

I didn't have any directors in mind for these categories.

Honest.

quote:

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 17
RE: Director A or Director B - who's better? - 23/7/2012 12:57:09 PM   
great_badir

Tricky one to answer - if we were to assume that Director A was Ridley Scott and Director B was any one of dozens of relatively consistent but not amazing directors (hell, for the craic, let's go with Tony, even if I don't think he's that consistent), then Director A every time.

But if one were to make George Lucas or Wes Craven Director A...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 18
RE: Director A or Director B - who's better? - 27/7/2012 6:39:27 AM   
andrewmicky

director a is better

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 19
RE: Director A or Director B - who's better? - 30/7/2012 2:17:56 AM   
Darth Marenghi

It's got to be Director A - a classic is a classic, and I'd be happy having made just one, never mind two!

< Message edited by Darth Marenghi -- 30/7/2012 2:55:53 AM >

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to andrewmicky)
Post #: 20
RE: Director A or Director B - who's better? - 30/7/2012 2:30:44 AM   
Hood_Man

We all make mistakes in life, but when I'm an old man I want to be able to look back on at least one moment in my life where I achieved something truly special, rather than being mostly pleased but at the same time wishing that, just once, I'd gone that little bit further.

Director A.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 21
RE: Director A or Director B - who's better? - 1/8/2012 7:21:40 PM   
mclane1

tim burton is a prime example of A, couple of classics, the rest shite but yet he is still worshipped and cash thrown at him.

If the cash is there, we do not care.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 22
RE: Director A or Director B - who's better? - 2/8/2012 2:01:25 PM   
chewbacasnapsak

I have Landis and Carpenter scoring pretty high on this, i can live with that.

"who'd pay a million dollars to have me killed"
"jealous husbands, outraged chefs, humiliated tailors...the list is endless"

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 23
RE: Director A or Director B - who's better? - 2/8/2012 2:12:01 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclane1

tim burton is a prime example of A, couple of classics, the rest shite but yet he is still worshipped and cash thrown at him.

Couldn't agree more.

And 'A'.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Director A or Director B - who's better? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI