Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 23/7/2012 7:08:14 PM   
jon5000

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

See to me this chap looks evil!

He doesn't look vulnerable at all. He looks like he has a very high opinion of himself. He looks to all intents and purposes like a vain psychopath.

Evil eyes ha.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 121
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 23/7/2012 7:30:34 PM   
SWOTBM

I'm surprised the guy didn't kill himself. I wonder what the families of the victims feel about whether the perpetrator kills himself (and they can try and put the thing behind them) or whether he has his day in court (spewing nonsense like Breivik did) and is then jailed/given the death sentence.

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 122
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 23/7/2012 8:01:01 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

"I'm not a Racist but..................................there are these lads in the canteen"

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 123
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 23/7/2012 8:08:21 PM   
Quint

quote:

ORIGINAL: jon5000

Just seen the pictures of him in Court.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18957991

Is it just me or does he absolutely not have the face of a killer? He just looks so harmless and passive. Aside from the hair. I actually find myself feeling a bit sorry for him in that picture, given that he'll likely face the death penalty.

I know that doesn't excuse what he's done... but it just makes me feel a bit odd about it all. Normally I see pictures of these people and they look like remorseless psychopaths. He just looks mixed up. Like he needs help.

I was listening to a podcast from 'This American Life' where they interviewed a criminal psychologist and he mentioned that the smartest psychotics are the ones that can act out emotions - they may not feel them but they understand how one would look or act if they were felt, and so can mimic the emotion. I am not saying that is what is happening here, but it is certainly food for thought. It's hard to know what is going on in any one's head, let alone a person capable of such slaughter. We know he is intelligent, what with his studies and the planning of his actions, so it wouldn't be a stretch to suggest he might be capable of acting remorseful regardless of his feelings. Tears of a crocodile and all that...

My Art: http://adamwayneart.com/

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 124
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 23/7/2012 8:16:53 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Quint

quote:

Is it just me or does he absolutely not have the face of a killer? He just looks so harmless and passive. Aside from the hair. I actually find myself feeling a bit sorry for him in that picture, given that he'll likely face the death penalty.

I know that doesn't excuse what he's done... but it just makes me feel a bit odd about it all. Normally I see pictures of these people and they look like remorseless psychopaths. He just looks mixed up. Like he needs help.

I was listening to a podcast from 'This American Life' where they interviewed a criminal psychologist and he mentioned that the smartest psychotics are the ones that can act out emotions - they may not feel them but they understand how one would look or act if they were felt, and so can mimic the emotion. I am not saying that is what is happening here, but it is certainly food for thought. It's hard to know what is going on in any one's head, let alone a person capable of such slaughter. We know he is intelligent, what with his studies and the planning of his actions, so it wouldn't be a stretch to suggest he might be capable of acting remorseful regardless of his feelings. Tears of a crocodile and all that...

This, I watched it earlier and I immediately thought "he's just putting that face on".

He's just acting it out. Look at all the other photos of him jon5000 if you feel sorry for him. Why don't you go give him a hug?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Quint)
Post #: 125
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 23/7/2012 8:25:27 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

Well that seems needlessly aggressive...

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 126
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 23/7/2012 8:26:02 PM   
elab49

That is uncalled for.

At this point no-one has any clue what/why/where/how - whether he's a very bad person or something badly cracked. It's just a lot of talking heads with nothing to go on, repeating their own area of expertise with no idea whether it's relevant or not. So if varied views are presented on here there's no reason not to treat them with civility.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 127
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 23/7/2012 8:32:45 PM   
Spaldron

Really now?

I'm sorry but I find it quite glib to just say "well he doesn't have the face of a killer". I find it rather offensive that people can sympathise with this murdering maniac just because he doesn't resemble Hannibal Lecter. Come on people, this guy is clearly an intelligent and manipulative individual who was fully aware the entire world was watching him.

If I had said the same thing about Anders Brevik what would the reaction have been?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 128
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 23/7/2012 8:35:16 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

To be fair to Jon, and I don't agree with a lot of his views, that simply was not the context in which it was meant. He was juxtaposing the fact that he does not "look" like the media definition of a killer and sitting in the court room look quite innocent. It's not like he was going "Come on guys, give him a break"

I see where you are coming from but your post does come across as aggressive for no real reason.

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 129
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 23/7/2012 8:39:10 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

I see where you are coming from but your post does come across as aggressive for no real reason.

Well I have to disagree with that, I don't think it was aggressive in any way. I was just challenging jon5000 on his points.

Post #: 130
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 23/7/2012 8:40:13 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

Well I have to disagree with that, I don't think it was aggressive in any way. I was just challenging jon5000 on his points.

To be fair not sure how else you can interpret this

quote:

Look at all the other photos of him jon5000 if you feel sorry for him. Why don't you go give him a hug?

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 131
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 23/7/2012 8:43:19 PM   
jon5000

quote:

Really now?

I'm sorry but I find it quite glib to just say "well he doesn't have the face of a killer". I find it rather offensive that people can sympathise with this murdering maniac just because he doesn't resemble Hannibal Lecter. Come on people, this guy is clearly an intelligent and manipulative individual who was fully aware the entire world was watching him.

If I had said the same thing about Anders Brevik what would the reaction have been?

I'd have considered your point, instead of reacting in such a simplistic and hot headed way. Brevik looks like a deluded individual to me. Smiles throughout his trial. First thing he did was give a salute. This chap just looks... I don't know, mixed up. Of course the crime speaks for itself and what he did was monstrous. I'm not trying to diminish that.

But you think because I said I was disturbed that he doesn't look like your average psychopathic killer I'm sympathising with him? He just doesn't look dangerous to me and I find that a bit unsettling. It gives me mixed emotions. But no, that doesn't mean I don't accept that what he's done is monstrous.

And no, I don't want to hug him. But thanks for making it so simple for me.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 132
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 23/7/2012 8:47:45 PM   
DancingClown

I know what Jon means about his not looking like a 'traditional' killer. But then mass murderers and serial killers are two different animals so it seems silly to compare him to someone like Bundy. But then I doubt that Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold would be described as having the faces of killers either.

But sympathy? No, I don't get that at all. By all accounts this attack was meticulously calculated months and months in advance. He knew what he was doing. Whatever his so-called motives he doesn't deserve sympathy. Pity maybe - and that's a big maybe - but not sympathy.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 133
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 23/7/2012 8:51:36 PM   
elab49

quote:

Really now?

And there's nothing wrong with saying that. At all. Just leave the 'why don't you go hug him then' attitude out of it. You may not have intended it, but it's clear that was viewed as unnecessarily aggressive.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 134
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 23/7/2012 8:55:39 PM   
jon5000

quote:

quote:

I'm sure there's a lot of truth in that. The mask of sanity and such.

I think I've had quite a sheltered existence to be honest in that I've never come across anyone that manipulative in my life. I've never really understood the concept of evil as being that black and white either. So for somebody to appear to outwardly 'non psycho' looking to me in pictures at least (I mean this is personal obviously, most of you probably think he looks evil) contrasted against the horrifying reality of what they've done, I just find a really unsettling truth.

I just wondered if anyone else felt the same... obviously not!

Just shows you how evil can permeate through all walks of life I guess. All faces.

(in reply to Quint)
Post #: 135
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 23/7/2012 9:00:04 PM   
jon5000

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

I know what Jon means about his not looking like a 'traditional' killer. But then mass murderers and serial killers are two different animals so it seems silly to compare him to someone like Bundy. But then I doubt that Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold would be described as having the faces of killers either.

But sympathy? No, I don't get that at all. By all accounts this attack was meticulously calculated months and months in advance. He knew what he was doing. Whatever his so-called motives he doesn't deserve sympathy. Pity maybe - and that's a big maybe - but not sympathy.

I was really referring to how he looked, at face value. Before seeing the image I had no idea he'd shot a 6 year old. Sympathy isn't something I feel for what he actually did!

But if I had no knowledge of what he'd done, looking at him as a person I'd say he looks massively mixed up rather than outwardly evil. I mean the hair doesn't help, granted. Please don't take that as actually sympathising with him!

I just find it an unsettling contrast as I said earlier.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 136
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 23/7/2012 9:19:49 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

"I'm not a Racist but..................................there are these lads in the canteen"

Ah classic thread.

I should also point out that, however much evidence is against this individual given the circumstances of the crime and arrest, it should be pointed out that "innocent until proven guilty" still holds true, and that commentary against him until such time as he has been found guilty in a court of law remain allegations, and should be identified as such. Stating "he's a killer" is libellous until the verdict is given.

I'm sure DPP can say that more succinctly and accurately than I.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 137
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 23/7/2012 9:25:33 PM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

quote:

I was listening to a podcast from 'This American Life' where they interviewed a criminal psychologist

The Psychopath Test?

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

(in reply to Quint)
Post #: 138
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 23/7/2012 9:33:33 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq
"he's a killer"

Queen!

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 139
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 23/7/2012 10:00:08 PM   
Hood_Man

I heard about this only about 20-30 minutes before going in to see the film on Friday, and to be honest it didn't feel real to me and didn't affect the screening.

It was the drive home when it suddenly dawned on me that, while I was sitting there, looking down at the ground as people were walking in and taking their seats, that I was seeing the same thing as those victims before this maniac turned up and opened fire. That was a sobering thought and a long journey home.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 140
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 23/7/2012 10:12:43 PM   
Quint

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erlenmeyer Flask

quote:

I was listening to a podcast from 'This American Life' where they interviewed a criminal psychologist

The Psychopath Test?

That's the one. Was an interesting listen I have to say.

My Art: http://adamwayneart.com/

(in reply to Erlenmeyer Flask)
Post #: 141
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 23/7/2012 10:21:07 PM   
Sutty

ITN news broadcaster just said of Holmes "With his hair dyed orange like screen character the Joker".
Already the press are so desperate to associate this madness to the movies as a direct reason for what occured that they willingly dish out falsities. I'm pretty sure the Joker had green hair...

Just give the prick the gas chamber. Holmes, not the news caster. He just needs a slap.

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 142
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 23/7/2012 10:23:29 PM   
donethinking

saw him today looking dazed and confused, it did strike me that he might be putting it on a bit, i didnt feel much sympathy for him tho, having said that fuck knows whats going on in his head, was it the maddest cry for help ever ? or is he just plain evil ? either way hes fucked.....what i dont understand is why him and people like him arent executed instantly...why waste hundreds of thousands of pounds of tax payers money keeping them fed and watered for the rest of their lives?
If it was up to me i'd have them humanely shot ( i know that might sound ironic but if its good enough for cattle then its good enough for these fuckers)

or if thats too 'harsh' send them all to some remote island to fend for themselves.

or let the families of the victims decide their fate.

< Message edited by donethinking -- 23/7/2012 10:24:22 PM >

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 143
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 23/7/2012 10:35:41 PM   
homersimpson_esq

To reiterate my point JUST A FEW POSTS UP.

At the moment, this man has not been found guilty. Stop making libellous comments.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to donethinking)
Post #: 144
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 23/7/2012 10:51:18 PM   
directorscut

quote:

quote:

Ah classic thread.

I should also point out that, however much evidence is against this individual given the circumstances of the crime and arrest, it should be pointed out that "innocent until proven guilty" still holds true, and that commentary against him until such time as he has been found guilty in a court of law remain allegations, and should be identified as such. Stating "he's a killer" is libellous until the verdict is given.

This is where the line between the letter of the law and common feckin' sense is at its thickest (pun intended).

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 145
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 23/7/2012 10:57:46 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

quote:

Ah classic thread.

This is where the line between the letter of the law and common feckin' sense is at its thickest (pun intended).

That may be so, but this is a public forum, and libel is not acceptable. It has ramifications beyond this forum.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 146
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 23/7/2012 11:01:32 PM   
jon5000

quote:

ORIGINAL: donethinking

saw him today looking dazed and confused, it did strike me that he might be putting it on a bit, i didnt feel much sympathy for him tho, having said that fuck knows whats going on in his head, was it the maddest cry for help ever ? or is he just plain evil ? either way hes fucked.....what i dont understand is why him and people like him arent executed instantly...why waste hundreds of thousands of pounds of tax payers money keeping them fed and watered for the rest of their lives?
If it was up to me i'd have them humanely shot ( i know that might sound ironic but if its good enough for cattle then its good enough for these fuckers)

or if thats too 'harsh' send them all to some remote island to fend for themselves.

You don't understand why people like him aren't executed instantly? Without trial?

Really?

*seethes*

Thousands of years of civilisation and still some people wish we were in the Dark Ages. Unbelievable.

(in reply to donethinking)
Post #: 147
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 23/7/2012 11:02:03 PM   
JessFranco

Although it doesn't necessarily mean he'll be legally "guilty" there's zero doubt over who the shooter was. The only people questioning that appear to be ones who think it was a false flag operation by the UN.

Even the French know better than to fuck with me

http://closer-to-perfection.tumblr.com/

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 148
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 23/7/2012 11:03:33 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

ITN news broadcaster just said of Holmes "With his hair dyed orange like screen character the Joker".

What do you expect from ITN? Bunch of sensationalist hacks with ratings to grab.

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 149
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 23/7/2012 11:07:55 PM   
donethinking

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: donethinking

You don't understand why people like him aren't executed instantly? Without trial?

Really?

*seethes*

Thousands of years of civilisation and still some people wish we were in the Dark Ages. Unbelievable.

Instantly after the trial, and yes i mean ONLY if hes found guilty.

and by the way human nature is the same as its been since the dawn of time, dont fool yourself that it isnt.

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI