Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 20/7/2012 1:59:01 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Don't the NRA turn up in towns where there's been killings of this sort?

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 31
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 20/7/2012 2:01:20 PM   
Brundlesflies

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

if you listen carefully you can here The Dailly Mail reporters at their type writers, spinning it that way now with their "ban this filth" headlines. How long before they or someone else likens this tragic incident to something in the movie. Guarantee it.

From the Daily Fail website

quote:

Christian Bale, as Batman in The Dark Knight Rises and Tom Hardy as Bane. There were suggestions that the gunman was influenced by Bane, a character in the film which wears a dark mask covering his face

"The Daily Mail isn't technically a newspaper, more a serialised Necronomicon." C. Brooker
My DVD's

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 32
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 20/7/2012 2:02:25 PM   
Funkyrae

The BBC are reporting that the youngest victim was a three month old baby.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Brundlesflies)
Post #: 33
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 20/7/2012 2:03:17 PM   
steffols

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

Youngest victim apparently six years old (bit young for TDKR if you ask me, but that's another discussion).

Already hearing murmurs on some radio stations where some commentators in the States are linking it directly to the film.

Surely they need to seriously take a look at their gun laws!

It says on the BBC website, the youngest victim was three months old. I have some serious questions about the people who take newborn babies to midnight screenings of Batman movies but as you say Badir, another discussion for another time.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 34
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 20/7/2012 2:15:03 PM   
nutteronabus

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols

quote:

Youngest victim apparently six years old (bit young for TDKR if you ask me, but that's another discussion).

Already hearing murmurs on some radio stations where some commentators in the States are linking it directly to the film.

It says on the BBC website, the youngest victim was three months old. I have some serious questions about the people who take newborn babies to midnight screenings of Batman movies but as you say Badir, another discussion for another time.

I'm watching the local news station's coverage online, and they said about 10 minutes ago that the baby wasn't shot, but that the parents took it to hospital to have it checked out.

Apparently, it's quite a common thing to take young babies to midnight screenings over there, as they can sleep through pretty much anything. Different culture, and what have you.

< Message edited by nutteronabus -- 20/7/2012 2:26:24 PM >

“You think you’re so cultured because you’ve gone to see Cats? You pampered upper-class drug-taking bitch!”

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 35
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 20/7/2012 2:16:13 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ghidorah
I had expirence firing several medium range shotguns during pigeon shooting. I had a great time, however during the session I started to realise how dangerous guns really were. Once i got the hang of it, I found it easier to hit a small flying disc compared to shooting a random bloke close range in Call of Duty. It would be so easy to hit a person when holding the gun right.

Edit

What I'm saying learning to fire a gun correctly has a very short learning curb. They are extremely dangerous and the Americans need to tighten their gun controls.

I fired some guns (pistols and a submachine gun) for the first time a few years ago, at a gun range on the continent. Frightened me shitless. I was shaking like a leaf afterwards, absolutely bloody terrifying it was.

This is an unbelievable tragedy, utterly shocking. I'm not normally a fire and brimstone kind of guy but someone who shoots children deserves everything that's coming to him and a lot more besides. What makes it even worse is that when the inevitable debate resurfaces about gun control in the wake of this latest massacre, there's a huge section of the US population who will use this as a example of why people need guns to 'defend themselves'

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 36
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 20/7/2012 2:19:48 PM   
steffols

quote:

ORIGINAL: nutteronabus

quote:

quote:

I'm watching the local new station's coverage online, and they said about 10 minutes ago that the baby wasn't shot, but that the parents took it to hospital to have it checked out.

Apparently, it's quite a common thing to take young babies to midnight screenings over there, as they can sleep through pretty much anything. Different culture, and what have you.

Oh thats good. I'm glad to hear that.

I suppose yeah, it is a different culture. I've just never been comfortable seeing young kids out on the streets with their parents past dark. Kids who are being dragged outside at nighttime. They should be indoors in the warmth and in bed.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,

(in reply to nutteronabus)
Post #: 37
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 20/7/2012 2:24:05 PM   
bobatim

The BBC are now reporting that Paris have cancelled their premier in light of the attacks. Why? This is a senseless tradegy granted but it's almost as if they're blaming the movie and expecting a repeat.

It was a terrible and sickening thing though. I can't think of a punishment suitable enough for this looney.

Is he died?

www.penultimateuniverse.blogspot.com

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 38
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 20/7/2012 2:30:32 PM   
nutteronabus

quote:

ORIGINAL: bobatim

The BBC are now reporting that Paris have cancelled their premier in light of the attacks. Why? This is a senseless tradegy granted but it's almost as if they're blaming the movie and expecting a repeat.

It's the right call, really. The film's still being released, but it feels a bit wrong to have a big party on the very day that the film is associated with a huge tragedy.

They've cancelled all of today's press, too. Presumably because this is all they'd end up being asked questions about.

“You think you’re so cultured because you’ve gone to see Cats? You pampered upper-class drug-taking bitch!”

(in reply to bobatim)
Post #: 39
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 20/7/2012 2:30:36 PM   
Larry of Arabia

It might just be that they don't think it is appropriate to do the whole glitzy red carpet thing in Paris in light of what has happened, which I wouldn't blame them for.

EDIT: beaten to it!

< Message edited by Larry of Arabia -- 20/7/2012 2:31:38 PM >

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to bobatim)
Post #: 40
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 20/7/2012 2:36:33 PM   
bobatim

I suppose you're both right. Just seemed a bit of knee jerk reaction at first. It's sad that one lunatic that can have this much of an effect. Completely get the cancelling of the press, it would be totally unfair to question the cast and crew about it

Is he died?

www.penultimateuniverse.blogspot.com

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 41
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 20/7/2012 2:55:19 PM   
steffols

It is incredibly unfair to movie lovers all over the world that a film that has been so widely anticipated for so long is now dampened by such a tragic act. Anyone who now sees the movie is going to be thinking of those victims. Not only has he ruined so many lives now, he has ruined the excitment for millions of The Dark Knight Rises, that's for sure.

(in reply to bobatim)
Post #: 42
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 20/7/2012 2:57:23 PM   
BigKovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brundlesflies

quote:

if you listen carefully you can here The Dailly Mail reporters at their type writers, spinning it that way now with their "ban this filth" headlines. How long before they or someone else likens this tragic incident to something in the movie. Guarantee it.

quote:

Christian Bale, as Batman in The Dark Knight Rises and Tom Hardy as Bane. There were suggestions that the gunman was influenced by Bane, a character in the film which wears a dark mask covering his face

Christ that's weak. Bloody rag.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

Post #: 43
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 20/7/2012 3:04:22 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Big Guy

The BBC website is reporting that a nine year old has been shot in the stomach.

I do not want to live on this planet anymore.

Right there with you, man.

This sort of thing really fucking upsets me. I don't know what else to say.....

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to The Big Guy)
Post #: 44
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 20/7/2012 3:13:46 PM   
Filmfan 2

quote:

It is incredibly unfair to movie lovers all over the world that a film that has been so widely anticipated for so long is now dampened by such a tragic act. Anyone who now sees the movie is going to be thinking of those victims. Not only has he ruined so many lives now, he has ruined the excitment for millions of The Dark Knight Rises, that's for sure.

True indeed.

Acts like this are often done so that the perpetrator lives on in infamy by the act that they've committed, and the fact that he's shot people at an opening day showing of one of recent cinema's most wildly anticipated films has only increased that infamy, as the film will forever have this association with it.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 45
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 20/7/2012 3:22:43 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Filmfan 2

quote:

True indeed.

Acts like this are often done so that the perpetrator lives on in infamy by the act that they've committed, and the fact that he's shot people at an opening day showing of one of recent cinema's most wildly anticipated films has only increased that infamy, as the film will forever have this association with it.

The tragedy of this revolves around the victims, not the people who've had their enjoyment of a film spoiled. I'm sure movie-lovers will get over their 'ordeal' once they remember that they're still alive to watch films and not cradling their dying loved ones in their arms or running for their lives.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 46
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 20/7/2012 3:24:31 PM   
UTB

quote:

quote:

quote:

To be fair, the same 'suggestion' was hinted at in this thread as well.

Post #: 47
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 20/7/2012 3:38:15 PM   
steffols

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

quote:

True indeed.

The tragedy of this revolves around the victims, not the people who've had their enjoyment of a film spoiled. I'm sure movie-lovers will get over their 'ordeal' once they remember that they're still alive to watch films and not cradling their dying loved ones in their arms or running for their lives.

I had a feeling that would be taken the wrong way.

Of course I'm not comparing someone losing their loved one to someone losing their enjoyment of a movie. I probably shouldn't have said it soon after it happening and I apologise that is was taken the wrong way. All I was trying to say that it's unfortunate that such an anticipated film is now tainted. I am in no way comparing that to the tragedy of someone being shot.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 48
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 20/7/2012 3:53:57 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

True indeed.

Of course I'm not comparing someone losing their loved one to someone losing their enjoyment of a movie. I probably shouldn't have said it soon after it happening and I apologise that is was taken the wrong way. All I was trying to say that it's unfortunate that such an anticipated film is now tainted. I am in no way comparing that to the tragedy of someone being shot.

Don't worry, I didn't for a second think that you meant that. But we just know that there will be people who are more concerned about their anticipation of the film, and in a way that's understandable because people can feel far removed from the reality of a tragedy like this, especially if they're non-American or on the other side of the world. I just hope they retain some perspective.

What's galling is that we just know there's a room full of executives somewhere who are holding their heads in their hands and worrying about what this might do for the film's grosses. My guess is that it won't have much of an effect either way.

And if anyone mentions a 'curse' to me I will have to try not to deck them.

< Message edited by DancingClown -- 20/7/2012 3:55:12 PM >

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 49
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 20/7/2012 3:59:02 PM   
MrsFinkelstein

quote:

quote:

quote:

Gits, of course that would be their go to stance. If they can make that huge leap, then why don't they do the same with Limbaugh's utterly asinine comments the other day?
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rush-limbaugh-bane-bain-conspiracy-dark-knight-rises-batman-350311 You could just as 'easily' make the case it's some right-wing nut making a stance against the liberal conspiracy.

It's an utter tragedy, my 11 year old son is desperate to and see this film, and while it won't change my mind on him seeing it, it does suddenly slap you in the face how vulnerable you can be in a place where you should be enjoying yourself.

The US really need to start getting their act together with gun laws - how many more shooting incidents does there have to be before they realise not everyone needs guns/automatic weapons?

Post #: 50
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 20/7/2012 4:06:47 PM   
MrsFinkelstein

Suspect has been identified, sounds like another home grown 'terrorist'.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/20/james-holmes-identified-a_n_1688776.html

Police and bomb disposal experts are at his flat which has apparently been booby trapped - quotes on BBC news saying it could be "days" before it will dealt with, it's "very sophisticated".
He apparently was acting alone.
Don't know how accurate this is.

< Message edited by MrsFinkelstein -- 20/7/2012 4:08:16 PM >

(in reply to MrsFinkelstein)
Post #: 51
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 20/7/2012 4:09:27 PM   
jon5000

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsFinkelstein

The US really need to start getting their act together with gun laws - how many more shooting incidents does there have to be before they realise not everyone needs guns/automatic weapons?

Sadly they'll allow tragedies like this to happen because being told what you can and cannot have by the 'dreaded Government' is more terrifying to them. Land of the free and the cult-of-the-individual and all that.

The American Libertarian ideology says the individual is to blame here, not everybody else who has a gun in their house.

Which is true, but he'd have been a less harmful individual had he not been able to buy a gun!

And ironically they'll say they need guns for their protection from individuals like him. The entire country needs a change of ideology never-mind legislation. It'd take years!

(in reply to MrsFinkelstein)
Post #: 52
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 20/7/2012 4:19:07 PM   
Titanm21

quote:

ORIGINAL: jon5000

Sadly they'll allow tragedies like this to happen because being told what you can and cannot have by the 'dreaded Government' is more terrifying to them. Land of the free and the cult-of-the-individual and all that.

The American Libertarian ideology says the individual is to blame here, not everybody else who has a gun in their house.

Which is true, but he'd have been a less harmful individual had he not been able to buy a gun!

And ironically they'll say they need guns for their protection from individuals like him. The entire country needs a change of ideology never-mind legislation. It'd take years!

It would take more than years... I'd say it would be impossible to do. They would have to have a horrendous event to change their feelings about gunlaw. If shooting up schools, neighbours or cinemas can't shake them into action then god know what it would take.

www.TrailerHouseMusings@Blogspot.com

Join us for all the latest trailers in the world of Gaming, TV and Movies [also Facebook and Twitter]

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 53
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 20/7/2012 4:30:40 PM   
lbiu

Odeon Leicester Square will be doing extra bag checks for people viewing The Dark Knight Rises. I will be watching it there tomorrow night.

Watching Sky News and they are trying to say he will be remembered as....and I shit you not....'THE BATMAN KILLER'

< Message edited by lbiu -- 20/7/2012 4:32:17 PM >

My Homer is not a communist. He may be a liar, a pig, an idiot, a communist, but he is not a porn star.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 54
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 20/7/2012 4:42:32 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: lbiu

Watching Sky News and they are trying to say he will be remembered as....and I shit you not....'THE BATMAN KILLER'

The Mail are referring to it as the Dark Knight massacre. Classy.

(in reply to lbiu)
Post #: 55
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 20/7/2012 4:44:11 PM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: lbiu

Odeon Leicester Square will be doing extra bag checks for people viewing The Dark Knight Rises. I will be watching it there tomorrow night.

Shame it has come to that at Leicester Square but cant blame extra precautions. Sky are muppets. Daily Mail can kiss my ass. This is completely pointless as it is shocking, yet I doubt this will be the last event in America where one man and his gun decide to go on a rampage. They need to fix the gun law thing. Im very sad for the people caught in it all.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to lbiu)
Post #: 56
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 20/7/2012 5:08:54 PM   
Spaldron

ITS THE CURSE OF BATMAN!
VIOLENT FILMS/VIDEOGAMES ARE TO BLAME!
HOLLYWOOD IS RESPONSIBLE!

And guess what? Its election season so what's the betting that either candidate will bring up the gun issue?

Answer - not fucking one of them. Obama and the other muppet are too scared to upset the Hillbillies wrapping themselves in the First Amendment. FOX ad the usual crowd will claim this is why America needs more guns the theatres. Nothing will change.

All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again. Counting down to the next inevitable US massacre.

Kudos to the beeb for not mentioning any link to TDKR at all.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 57
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 20/7/2012 5:13:09 PM   
Filmfan 2

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

True indeed.

I'm with steffols, my comment wasn't meant to incite anything, and it was a point that I'd originally held back from making for fear of it being taken the wrong way. The first and foremost concern in this situation is that of the people involved, not the batman movie and any associations it now has with this.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 58
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 20/7/2012 5:49:35 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Have you been on the BBC webpage?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 59
RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises - 20/7/2012 5:56:07 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Have you been on the BBC webpage?

I was meaning their news channel coverage.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Shooting in Denver at Dark Knight Rises Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI