Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Dark Knight Rises

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Dark Knight Rises Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/7/2012 1:03:37 PM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Who thinks the series doesnt need to be rebooted at all and that future films can focus on the adventures of Blake as the bew Batman? It seems like a waste to set up Joseph Gordon Levitts character as being the one to carry on after Wayne retiring only not to follow through on it.

Doubt it will happen. The themes of the Nolan films have come to an end.

No point going back to that well esp without Nolan directing.

Yeah I didn't see it as setting up a sequel but more leaving on a hopeful note, that someone will be there to look after Gotham while Bruce retires in peace.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 181
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/7/2012 1:19:45 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Who thinks the series doesnt need to be rebooted at all and that future films can focus on the adventures of Blake as the bew Batman? It seems like a waste to set up Joseph Gordon Levitts character as being the one to carry on after Wayne retiring only not to follow through on it.

Doubt it will happen. The themes of the Nolan films have come to an end.

No point going back to that well esp without Nolan directing.

Yeah I didn't see it as setting up a sequel but more leaving on a hopeful note, that someone will be there to look after Gotham while Bruce retires in peace.

This. It definitely wasn't setting up another film, it was ending a trilogy. And I think rebooting it is a silly idea, but what can you do.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 182
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/7/2012 1:40:02 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

The press bit about the exercise - didn't it refer to it being the whole city's force being involved? As Commissioner of the whole city, and deputy of the whole city, they seemed to be talking about all their cops.

I'd thought it was low because they'd made clear that crime had plummetted because organised crime had been wiped out by the Dent Act - hence the joke about all they had left to investigate was missing persons (and did he say cats up trees)? No crime - no need to maintain an overlarge force.

But couldn't that also be interpreted as "every part of the city's force"; i.e. SWAT, MCU, K-9, Robbery/Homicide etc, rather than the enirety of GCPD?  Regardless, I don't think that the intention was ever to show that every available cop in the city (with a very few exceptions) was trapped underground.  And while you are correct that the big reduction in crime would probably have led to a reduction in force numbers, 3000 is still awfully small for a city that, according to Lucius Fox, is supposed to be home for around 30 million people.  That's one cop per 10,000!  Compare to London, which has a ratio of about 1:175, or even NY where it's about one cop for every 500 inhabitants.

Speaking of which, wasn't it strange that 3000 people on emergency rations still had time to shave and clean their uniforms before exiting their underground prison?   I mean, since people seem obsessed with discussing inconsistencies...

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 183
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/7/2012 1:44:04 PM   
elab49

That part was quite odd. I kept thinking of those chaps trapped in the mine in South America and thinking they must be total wimps compared to Gotham police 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 184
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/7/2012 1:50:23 PM   
Rob

At the risk of getting into semantics I was under the impression that all of Gotham was cut off.

The president say "Gotham, we won't abandon you", it's the Army on the bridge and not the GCPD, and when Foley says they have every cop trapped Blake suddenly realises that Gordon is still at the hospital.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense but then neither does the Joker claiming to be a man without a plan before unveiling some of the most convoluted and complex plans in super-hero cinema history!

< Message edited by Rob -- 24/7/2012 1:51:57 PM >

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 185
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/7/2012 1:52:14 PM   
elab49

I think it was the center - Wayne had already said where he lived was part of Gotham, and it was in the cut-off. Basically it was Manhattan cut off from the rest of NY. But the rest of NY was still New York.

Maybe there's a quick way to check - anyone got a close up of the badge on the cops guarding the bridge?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 186
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/7/2012 1:59:55 PM   
Rob

According to IMDB Robert "Bunny Colvin" Wisdom plays an Army captain and according to Wikipedia;

"Meanwhile, Bane lures most of Gotham's police force underground and sets off explosions across the city, trapping the officers and turning Gotham into an isolated city-state"

And as we all know neither Wikipedia or IMDB have never, ever, ever been incorrect!

< Message edited by Rob -- 24/7/2012 2:02:35 PM >

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 187
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/7/2012 2:05:42 PM   
elab49

I mean the chap from Dexter who made JGL throw his badge away.

quote:

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 188
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/7/2012 2:11:29 PM   
Rob

Hi character is called "Uniform" - handy...thanks IMDB

But as he's wearing the same uniform as Bunny I'm sticking with them both being Army chaps.

EDIT:

Wow. He was also the main guy in Wrong Turn. I know it's been discussed previously on here but Nolan does get some reasonably established actors for the tiniest of parts.

< Message edited by Rob -- 24/7/2012 2:13:06 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 189
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/7/2012 2:13:05 PM   
Harry Tuttle

But Blake yells "I'm a cop like you" to him when he shows him his badge.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 190
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/7/2012 2:14:11 PM   
elab49

He wasn't wearing an army uniform, he was wearing a police uniform. The army was the whole camouflage stuff - the guy at the end was the dark uniform blues of a cop. And the cap was too. 

quote:

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 191
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/7/2012 2:16:11 PM   
Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

But Blake yells "I'm a cop like you" to him when he shows him his badge.

Well that blows a great big hole in my argument.

quote:

He wasn't wearing an army uniform, he was wearing a police uniform. The army was the whole camouflage stuff - the guy at the end was the dark uniform blues of a cop. And the cap was too. 

...as does that.

< Message edited by Rob -- 24/7/2012 2:17:45 PM >

Post #: 192
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/7/2012 2:19:28 PM   
elab49

All we need to do now is send someone to rewatch the film and see if they can see a cap badge 

< Message edited by elab49 -- 24/7/2012 2:30:43 PM >

quote:

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 193
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/7/2012 2:24:18 PM   
Rob

quote:

All we need to do know is send someone to rewatch the film and see if they can see a cap badge 

Well I'm going again next week but I may be forced to lie in order to protect my integrity. I'm also beginning to think that the scene with Juno Temple and Anne Hathway probably played slightly differently on screen than it did in my mind!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 194
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/7/2012 2:51:38 PM   
st3veebee

Looking forward to seeing this again: it seems most people far prefer it the second time. I found it a bi tmessy and severly lacking enough "wow" moments. In the previous two I had outstanding hairs on the back of my neck standing up moments but I didn't in this one.  Here are a few notes and critisisms:

-Why didn't Banes mask have some kind of cover or protection for the tubes on the front?!?! Also if that is anaesthetic being fed to him to reduce or eliminate pain felt, wouldn't he be slightly drowsy or not 100% manoeuvrable?

- Hatheway was far better than I feared but I sill have some minor complaints. She used the "seductive/patronising" voice far too much, and she was not even remotely convincing as someone who could handle themselves in a brawl. Her fight scenes were just edited fists and stillettos hitting people.

-It's been brought up before but won't Robin/Blake/new Batman be at a wee disadvantage as the new bats considering he doesn't have the intensive LoS training? I suppose he could find out about hem and head off...

- Cotillard/Talias death was pretty poorly acted, and I adore Cotillard.

-Have none of the exiled people seen Bear Grylls?!?! Strip and reduce your surface area when on the ice people!

- What was the gun Bats used briefly? Just interested.

-Why was Bats suddenly stupid enough to believe Selina and wander int Bane's lair/trap? Was he simply on a death wish?

-The ending didn't bohe rme except for Selina turning her head as if to say" Hey! I'm here too, don't forget about me!"

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 195
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/7/2012 3:10:03 PM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

Looking forward to seeing this again: it seems most people far prefer it the second time. I found it a bi tmessy and severly lacking enough "wow" moments. In the previous two I had outstanding hairs on the back of my neck standing up moments but I didn't in this one.  Here are a few notes and critisisms:

-Why didn't Banes mask have some kind of cover or protection for the tubes on the front?!?! Also if that is anaesthetic being fed to him to reduce or eliminate pain felt, wouldn't he be slightly drowsy or not 100% manoeuvrable?

- Hatheway was far better than I feared but I sill have some minor complaints. She used the "seductive/patronising" voice far too much, and she was not even remotely convincing as someone who could handle themselves in a brawl. Her fight scenes were just edited fists and stillettos hitting people.

-It's been brought up before but won't Robin/Blake/new Batman be at a wee disadvantage as the new bats considering he doesn't have the intensive LoS training? I suppose he could find out about hem and head off...

-Have none of the exiled people seen Bear Grylls?!?! Strip and reduce your surface area when on the ice people!

-Why was Bats suddenly stupid enough to believe Selina and wander int Bane's lair/trap? Was he simply on a death wish?

-The ending didn't bohe rme except for Selina turning her head as if to say" Hey! I'm here too, don't forget about me!"

I think he simply underestimated Bane and was a little cocky/arrogant. He mentioned to Alfred in a previous scene, "I beat Ra's and he was the league of shadows. Bane is simply a mercenary." Sounds very cocky to me. Maybe as well he thought he was more than capable of dealing with it or was just itching for more after 8 years on the doss.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 196
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/7/2012 3:11:44 PM   
Whistler

quote:

Looking forward to seeing this again: it seems most people far prefer it the second time. I found it a bi tmessy and severly lacking enough "wow" moments. In the previous two I had outstanding hairs on the back of my neck standing up moments but I didn't in this one.

I thought TDKR was full of wow moments.

Batman's first appearance in the tunnel
Bane lifting Batman above his head for the infamous back break
The flaming bat symbol on the building after Batman returns (so many chills)
Cops and Bane's thugs charging towards each other, followed by Bane and Batman's second fight
Batman flying away with the core and (kind of) blowing up

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 197
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/7/2012 3:21:22 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

quote:

I think he simply underestimated Bane and was a little cocky/arrogant. He mentioned to Alfred in a previous scene, "I beat Ra's and he was the league of shadows. Bane is simply a mercenary." Sounds very cocky to me. Maybe as well he thought he was more than capable of dealing with it or was just itching for more after 8 years on the doss.

See, yes he was arrogant but I also think he did have a death wish. Alfred says to him, "I think you want to fail." Bane tells him "You welcome death." Bruce wants to go out in a blaze of glory. He wants to die. But by the end of the film he wants to live. Which is another reason why I think Bruce did survive at the end. It's part of his character arc for the film.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 198
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/7/2012 3:32:00 PM   
Discodez

quote:

Now I completely agree it was very poorly acted (I thought she was quite poor all round to be fair, not up to her usual high standards) - but I just remembered something, wasn't she pregnant during filming? This might explain why they had to stick with what they'd got in the can and didn't have the chance to re-shoot her scenes when they realised she looked about as convincing as Dave Lee Travis playing Macbeth

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 199
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/7/2012 3:36:57 PM   
Rob

She actually filmed her scenes after giving birth. Still no excuse for the amateur dramatic head tilt to signify death!

< Message edited by Rob -- 24/7/2012 3:37:16 PM >

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 200
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/7/2012 3:42:03 PM   
Vadersville

Best. Picture. Ever!

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 201
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/7/2012 3:48:14 PM   
Lang

quote:

The same can be said of the tubes in the comic but my opinion is that Bane is arrogant enough to think no one would get close enough to damage his mask.

I think the gun is a compact EMP weapon, quite handy until the dick from Blue Bloods puts a bullet through it then shits himself when Batman gives him that look.

#6 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

PS Tag Riddle_Me_This

'Winter is Coming'

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 202
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/7/2012 3:50:30 PM   
Whistler

Has anyone mentioned how bloody good Hathaway looked on the Batpod yet? Her derriere was almost as distracting as Johansson's in The Avengers.

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 203
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/7/2012 4:07:58 PM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

She actually filmed her scenes after giving birth. Still no excuse for the amateur dramatic head tilt to signify death!

Fair enough Rob, I was just trying to find a reason to forgive her. Maybe she should have stuck her tongue out the side of her mouth to look more convincing

< Message edited by Discodez -- 24/7/2012 4:08:16 PM >

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 204
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/7/2012 4:08:47 PM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Has anyone mentioned how bloody good Hathaway looked on the Batpod yet? Her derriere was almost as distracting as Johansson's in The Avengers.

shame it was the stuntwoman's

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 205
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/7/2012 4:21:26 PM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

Fair enough Rob, I was just trying to find a reason to forgive her. Maybe she should have stuck her tongue out the side of her mouth to look more convincing

And gone cross-eyed.

Another question: That stance Bane does over and over in the film, where he grabs on to his collar area with both hands: is that a reference to something Bane did in the comics, or just a little tic Hardy developed?

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 206
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/7/2012 4:26:40 PM   
Discodez

Think it was all Hardy, (but I have knightfall at home so will have a look later) certainly in the comics he can remove the mask and only wears it and the venom injectors when he's fighting and out and about being the big bad....

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 207
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/7/2012 4:30:07 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I'm fairly certain it's a Hardyism. Bane wears a wrestling singlet in the comics so he doesn't have any lapels to grab hold of.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 24/7/2012 4:32:38 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 208
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/7/2012 4:34:16 PM   
Lang

Just listening to the spoiler podcast, pretty good but shame on the person that asked

'How does Bane eat?'

the answer given by the guys actually had me in tears

Strangely the cleanliness of Gotham wasn't mentioned but the above question was....

#6 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

PS Tag Riddle_Me_This

'Winter is Coming'

Post #: 209
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/7/2012 4:59:27 PM   
Sutty

Just been to see this so just posting a few quick thoughts on the movie:

Personally I loved it. Nigh on 3 hours just flew on by. I think Bale was as strong as he has ever been in this franchise and whoever takes over - be it reboot, re-imagining, or a continuation - has their work cut out for them. I loved the few scenes that he and Caine had together. You really sense a background and a respect between these two. Their conversation in regards to Bruce "Moving on" was exceptionally good and very emotional. I enjoyed the individual sub plots that you had to keep up with, and the depth if not the complexity of the story as a whole. There really was a lot of the "when you look in to the abyss the abyss looks in to you" kind of vibe that I found very rewarding, and I thought how many plots, character references and choices came full circle back around to the first movie, and even before that. I also thought that Joseph Gorden Lovett was fantastic, and enjoyed his first scene with Wayne.
What I loved about this movie was that the "action" scenes were almost incidental. Awesome, but incidental. For me the non-action scenes was were the action really was. A quick note, didn't like Banes final couple fo minutes where it felt like he was reduced to a stooge and was disposed of as such. Diminished his work in the movie.

And I had no issues with the ending, aside from one... I think that when Alfred sat at the table outside the cafe at the end and he see's Bruce, WE shouldn't have seen Bruce. The movie should have ended on Alfreds face.

And was it me, or did the final shot (JGL in the batcave as the platform rises beneath his feet) end rather abruptly?

Personally,as I said, the final shot should of been on Alfreds face, and just as there is a suggestion of a smile, of some form of recognition, the movie ends. It would have given the movie an ambiguity, and a million and one talking points and arguements about what Alfred saw and if indeed he did see it. I just felt that we were force fed that Bruce was okay, and it wasn't needed. It was particularly surprising coming from Nolan as he has always been a film maker who treats his audience as intelligent people.

Still a very good film. But not quite a "classic".

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Dark Knight Rises Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI