Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Dark Knight Rises

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Dark Knight Rises Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/7/2012 12:50:39 AM   
Hood_Man

The more I think about this film the more disappointed I feel. I said this in the review thread, but it really feels like a film that's the result of a Director fulfilling an obligation and trying to think of what's left to do, rather than someone enthusiastically thinking of what would be really great.

That's not to say I didn't like it, I thought the Imax experience was breathtaking and I admit, as always, that I probably need another viewing to get a better idea of what happens, but of the now 5 Nolan films that I've seen, this was the least interesting.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 91
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/7/2012 12:56:50 AM   
homersimpson_esq

Someone asked how old Bruce Wayne is. In Batman Begins he celebrates his 30th birthday, so I'm guessing by TDKR he's about to hit 40.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 92
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/7/2012 1:03:22 AM   
Hood_Man

I really really really wish I was more enthusiastic about this film

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 93
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/7/2012 1:06:31 AM   
homersimpson_esq

I'm still processing. I want to see it again. Soon.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 94
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/7/2012 5:31:30 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ghidorah

Someone uploaded the ending

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i01_JOZIzHI

Yeah I'm not a big fan of this shit. People basically posting the endings of films online for all to see, cant say I agree tbh.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 95
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/7/2012 10:16:11 AM   
TheFuzz_1989

Are we definite of the time gap between Begins and The Dark Knight for a start? I never remember it being specifically mentioned. An official 'in world exploration ' book that I recently obtained (and a fantastic book at that, but alas, off topic) mentions how after five years as Batman, the original suit had 'taken some blows' and needed to be upgraded, which means that TDK must have taken place five years after begins. This caught my eye at first, but then I remembered Joker saying 'lets take the clocks back one year' in TDK so maybe the book took some artistic license, or perhaps the joker was estimating.

For those who were wondering the same book puts the murder of Bruce's parents at 1984 and the events of TDK at 2004.

I guess these should be taken with a grain of salt, but still interesting to know wether these are true or not, as it would make Bruce's total time as Batman much lengthier and his retirement at the end of TDK somewhat more believable.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 96
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/7/2012 12:36:06 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

Yeah I'm not a big fan of this shit. People basically posting the endings of films online for all to see, cant say I agree tbh.

Didn't you go off and search for a torrent of the film before it was even released?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 97
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/7/2012 12:36:55 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheFuzz_1989

Are we definite of the time gap between Begins and The Dark Knight for a start? I never remember it being specifically mentioned. An official 'in world exploration ' book that I recently obtained (and a fantastic book at that, but alas, off topic) mentions how after five years as Batman, the original suit had 'taken some blows' and needed to be upgraded, which means that TDK must have taken place five years after begins. This caught my eye at first, but then I remembered Joker saying 'lets take the clocks back one year' in TDK so maybe the book took some artistic license, or perhaps the joker was estimating.

For those who were wondering the same book puts the murder of Bruce's parents at 1984 and the events of TDK at 2004.

I guess these should be taken with a grain of salt, but still interesting to know wether these are true or not, as it would make Bruce's total time as Batman much lengthier and his retirement at the end of TDK somewhat more believable.

"Lets turn the clock back a year ago...." is pretty much the clue in that it has been a year.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to TheFuzz_1989)
Post #: 98
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/7/2012 12:50:38 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheFuzz_1989

"Lets turn the clock back a year ago...." is pretty much the clue in that it has been a year.

Plus if his parents died when he was 8 years old and The Dark Knight is 20 years later, how did he have his 30th Birthday in BB?

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 99
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/7/2012 12:56:54 PM   
Rgirvan44

The other billionaire dude is continuing to make no sense.

Tate is somehow a really rich person herself, given that she could invest in the clean energy device. She is still rich as she can host lavish parties.

Why exactly did Bane need another super rich person?

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 100
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/7/2012 12:59:52 PM   
matty_b

I thought it was Bane doubling his chances, basically.

Plus, if he plays Bruce off Daggett into the arms of Tate, then so much the better.

Definitely going to have to watch this again, I think.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 101
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/7/2012 1:03:52 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Plus, if he plays Bruce off Daggett into the arms of Tate, then so much the better.

But Bruce barely gave a crap about Daggett. Bane could have done everything he needed to do without Daggett.

As for the stock market thing - you would think after terrorists shot up a place - strange transactions would have perhaps been halted until investigations were undertaken. But that is perhaps a little too nitpicky.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 102
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/7/2012 1:10:09 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

quote:

But Bruce barely gave a crap about Daggett. Bane could have done everything he needed to do without Daggett.

As for the stock market thing - you would think after terrorists shot up a place - strange transactions would have perhaps been halted until investigations were undertaken. But that is perhaps a little too nitpicky.

I though Daggett had access to all the construction companies which allowed Bane to plant the explosives. Plus if he allies with Miranda then it makes the not so shocking twist even less shocking.

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 103
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/7/2012 1:14:50 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

quote:

quote:

I though Daggett had access to all the construction companies which allowed Bane to plant the explosives. Plus if he allies with Miranda then it makes the not so shocking twist even less shocking.

But why would Daggett agree to all this? He is this films Trade Federation.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 104
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/7/2012 1:15:13 PM   
Bluedevils

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bluedevils

3. A continuity error involving Miranda Tates whereabouts towards the end really bugged me.

That one bugged me (assuming you are referring to Batman asking where Miranda is when he was just with her when getting Gordon).

Actually it was just before this where Miranda is in Banes court and Bane orders his men to bring her to him, seconds later she is in the Wayne execs hideout with Lucius Fox when Bruce Wayne reappears, then all of a sudden she is back in Banes custody!! Perhaps he let her nip back to get her handbag first!

Also thinking more about Bane, it just didn't work having him be the one helping young Talia in the prison, well it would have if he had been a child himself at the time, but to have an adult Bane helping her at that stage would probably make him close to 50 by the time TDKR takes place, which he clearly isn't.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 105
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/7/2012 1:24:52 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Daggett wanted to take over Wayne Enterprises. He thought Bane would give him that chance, which is why he was pissed off when Miranda got the job instead of him. I highly doubt he knew of Bane's true intentions (he asks ''who are you'' and we get the muffled response of Gotham's reckoning)

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 106
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/7/2012 1:29:18 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Daggett wanted to take over Wayne Enterprises. He thought Bane would give him that chance, which is why he was pissed off when Miranda got the job instead of him. I highly doubt he knew of Bane's true intentions (he asks ''who are you'' and we get the muffled response of Gotham's reckoning)

Yeah I get that - but the man is an idiot for not thinking that maybe, just maybe planting explosives into major infrastruture would not be the smartest idea. It just feels like an add on which it not needed to move the plot forward.

And if they were going to do that they should have just brought back Hauers character from the first one. Then you would have at least had a revenge angle.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 107
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/7/2012 1:34:54 PM   
Cool Breeze

Flawed masterpiece is the best description of my feelings regarding TDKR after having wacthed it last night.This could change however.

Im a huge fan of what Nolan, Bale,and all involved who have made this series as great as it has become.My expectations for this film were huge and for the most part they were met.Im still processing the film as there was so much to take i and further viewings are a must so i will summarize my thoughts briefly.

Christian Bale was FANTASTIC in this one.He has been the ONLY actor to accurately portray Batman/Bruce Wayne in this series but his performance in TDKR is amazing and carries the whole film.Going through intense pain (both mental and physical) it is just a fanatastic perfromance.

Anne Hathaway.Wow! She was sooo sexy and bad ass as Selina Kyle.I loved her character and her on again, off again alliance with Batman is one of the highlights of the film.

Bane.A true force of nature and a well matched adversary for Batman.I really liked this voice and had no trouble understanding him.The fights between him and Batman are the action highlights of the whole trilogy for me.

The action sequences.First rate and proves Nolan and his team just get better and better at this stuff.The final chase with The Bat and armoured trucks is true cinematic spectacle that even outdoes anything in Avengers Assemble.

Talia.I was genuinely surprised by this twist as i have to admit i didnt see it coming.Kudos to Marion Cotillard for pulling it off.I think she could have done with more screentime however.

There are flaws.The film is long and does drag at times in the middle section ( Particularly the whole Bruce trapped in the pit plot ).Batman is actually off screen for long sections of this movie and i can see how that may disappoint some who just want to see superhero action.

As i said i am still processing the film so im sure i will rate it higher after further viewings.For the record though, i believe Batman does die in the end and Alfreds vision of Bruce and Selina is what he wishes to see.I just dont see Bruce settling down with Selina.Oh and Joeseph Gordon Levitt was awesome and loved the indication that he may become Robin (Nightwing maybe?)

Four stars.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 108
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/7/2012 1:35:47 PM   
Rgirvan44

Bruce is dead is the new Vickers was an android.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 109
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/7/2012 1:39:09 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

Nope.Its the new '' Is Cobb still stuck in limbo? ''

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 110
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/7/2012 1:44:47 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

Ha! Actually I would say that Inception was pretty definite in being ambiguous whereas with Rises I think people are trying to force in an ambiguous ending where there is none.

Which is why the Vickers thing came to mind.

Post #: 111
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/7/2012 2:21:48 PM   
Whistler

Finally saw it tonight, and it absolutely lived up to the hype. It was amazing. A couple of minors issues aside (and they are minor), it was epic, wondrous, brutal, uplifting, intense, moralistic, stylish, dark and emotional (almost heart-breakingly at times - Alfred's apology in front of the graves almost made me tear up). Basically it's what all superhero films should be. Every cast member is excellent, both the new and those returning, Zimmer's score is once again thunderously brilliant, and it was just a great ending to the trilogy. Did I prefer it to Begins or TDK? I don't know yet. Probably not, but I'd be tempted to put all of them on the same level. This is a perfect trilogy.

(This was also my first IMAX experience, and I don't know what the rest are like, but the Sydney one is freakin' huuuuuge )

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 112
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/7/2012 2:38:33 PM   
thedrin

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah I get that - but the man is an idiot for not thinking that maybe, just maybe planting explosives into major infrastruture would not be the smartest idea. It just feels like an add on which it not needed to move the plot forward.

And if they were going to do that they should have just brought back Hauers character from the first one. Then you would have at least had a revenge angle.

"The man" is Daggett, yes? I suspect he was unaware that explosives were being mixed with concrete. In exchange for getting Bruce off the board he gave Bane a position of authority in his construction firm with the ability to bring in his own people.

But bringing back Hauer would have been great.

quote:

[B]Cool Breeze:
As i said i am still processing the film so im sure i will rate it higher after further viewings.For the record though, i believe Batman does die in the end and Alfreds vision of Bruce and Selina is what he wishes to see.I just dont see Bruce settling down with Selina.Oh and Joeseph Gordon Levitt was awesome and loved the indication that he may become Robin (Nightwing maybe?)

Did Alfred know anything about Selina beyond getting her to bring Bruce his dinner and probably assuming she broke into the safe? Didn't he leave before Bruce first allied with her?

There's no ambiguity here.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 113
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/7/2012 2:40:41 PM   
Whistler

quote:

For the record though, i believe Batman does die in the end and Alfreds vision of Bruce and Selina is what he wishes to see.I just dont see Bruce settling down with Selina.

I think he must be alive because why else would it have the scene with Fox discovering that Bruce fixed the auto-pilot? Unless it's there purely to create ambiguity, but if that's what Nolan was going for he could've just shown Alfred looking up and smiling, but not shown Bruce (which I actually would've preferred). Then people could debate what he was looking at.

Post #: 114
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/7/2012 3:07:37 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

Totally. Once Lucius discovers the autopilot was fixed, the I Am The Doctor theme should have started playing.

...wait, wrong show.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 115
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/7/2012 3:15:36 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ha! Actually I would say that Inception was pretty definite in being ambiguous whereas with Rises I think people are trying to force in an ambiguous ending where there is none.

Which is why the Vickers thing came to mind.

Agreed. The whole "Is Cobb still in Limbo?" is deliberately set up to be an unanswered question. The whole "Bruce is dead and Alfred is imagining it" is just people reading something into nothing. The auto-pilot scene alone debunks it yet people continue to go on... That said, I also can't believe that some people think that Liam Neeson was playing the ghost of Ra's Al Ghul. Besides the fact that its made clear Bruce is hallucinating, this version of Ra's confirms that Bane is his son, which is later shown to be false. The reason why this version of Ra's says that is because its what Bruce thinks is true at that time. If it were actually Ra's' ghost he would know Bane wasn't his son.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 116
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/7/2012 3:33:51 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

quote:

Didn't you go off and search for a torrent of the film before it was even released?

Yes but I had no intention of downloading even if there was one.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 117
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/7/2012 6:41:41 PM   
Rob

Saw this for the second time today and bloody loved it.

I think my initial reaction was clouded due to the fact that perhaps the story wasn't exactly the story that I wanted told (wasn't a fan of JGL's character arc for example) and untenable levels of anticipation but unburdened by expecting a truly transcendant experience the film is absolutely great. Bale, Hathaway and Caine are superb and there's hardly a weak performance in it.

It's a film that I haven't stopped thinking about since seeing it on Friday and having come out of it with mixed emotions I was really intruiged as to how I'd feel after a second viewing.

Because, as Nolan has stated, that he wanted to end the story characters do things that perhaps their comic counterparts wouldn't and yet it absolutely works. I had to drag my girlfriend to see it and she thought it was truly exceptional. I really think it will get better with repeated viewings and I can't wait to see it again.

< Message edited by Rob -- 22/7/2012 6:59:15 PM >

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 118
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/7/2012 7:18:53 PM   
Rgirvan44

I also saw it a second time and my issues with the movie remain. The breaking of Batman/Gotham simply feels rushed and...empty. Like the end when Blake is told by Batman to lead the people away from the city. What we get is a bus load of kids.

The streets are so clean and tidy. There is no sense of goverment breaking down. The policemen are all clean shaven. What Bane tells Bruce he is going to do, and what we see are two very different things.

Some editing is also really weird

Blake name checks Bane to Bruce because Gordon was mumbling it while shot. But Gordon never heard the name Bane when he was down in the sewers. Is Gordon aware of Bane before this time? If so, why isn't Wayne?

Then as we see Blake leaving Alfred already has the information on Bane - was he listening in and then running upstairs to turn on Google?

And then there is the stock exchange which has one of the worse day for night transitions since X Men 3 - it is clear as day, then the next moment pitch black. They did it cause they wanted Batman in shadow but it doesn't make much sense.

How exactly was the Wayne transation allowed to happen? They had security cameras - I don't see why it would take a long time to prove fraud.

But with my previous niggles, and these new ones, it is still a very entertaining romp - I was engaged and liked a lot of it. But there are too many parts that bother me, and prevent it still from going beyond 3 stars.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 22/7/2012 7:19:30 PM >

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 119
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/7/2012 8:12:33 PM   
Ghidorah

quote:

quote:

Actually the point I was making it was a nice way to end the trilogy. However Nolan also added many homages to the previous film and constantly giving us the impression Batman will die. It wasn't needed and made the overall film worst. I also got the impression Nolan's ego got too big and you could see it in most of the Batman's scenes. Most of Rises' Batman scenes were completely different to the previous films. It felt like Nolan tried to make everytime Batman appeared on the scene he was cool and Nolan tried to make them excitable as possible. Not tense like in the previous films but giving us the impression it's cool to be Batman.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Dark Knight Rises Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI