Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Dark Knight Rises

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Dark Knight Rises Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 2/1/2013 9:56:37 PM   
clownfoot

Damn The Dark Knight being a pretty underwhelming experience (at IMAX to boot). If it wasn't for that I might have gotten round to watching Rises and could provide a valid opinion. Memento and Inception fucking rock though. I think that makes me an Evil Dead 2 fanboy...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 691
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 2/1/2013 10:55:38 PM   
Deviation

I'm a shit Nolan jihadist, I didn't like Batman Begins and The Prestige and already mentioned in the same post Phubbs posted that I had a lot of issues with TDKR, hence giving it a Nolan arse-licking 6/10. Also, hype alone must have meant why TDKR did so well, not that you know, some people actually liked it. I mean, look at how loved and well-recieved Prometheus and Indy 4 we...oh.

That, or you're being an idiot Phubbs and you're attacking the person instead of the film.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 2/1/2013 10:56:21 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 692
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 3/1/2013 7:54:29 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I really hate not liking this movie and being in the company of others who don't like it. It feels like we all get grouped together.

Are you saying that feeling the same way about a particular film or director as someone else makes people put you in the same group? #ridleyscott #twitter

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 693
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 3/1/2013 9:43:25 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: giggity

Did anyone watch Charlie Brooker's 2012 wipe last night? He described Dark Knight Rises is a superhero film for people who like to think they're watching the seventh seal when what they're actually watching is a childrens film and that calling a Batman film The Dark Knight was to make him seem more serious and that it was majorly pretentious and no more intellectually nourishing than the adam west film which was a better film because it knew it wasn't anything more than camp and fun.

Does anyone agree with this?

The guy literally hits the nail on the head! genius. As for your comment on the previous films, they where much better movies so why wouldn't you give the third a watch.

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 694
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 3/1/2013 10:25:34 AM   
Vadersville

I actually got trolled in real life the other day about this. Me and a friend in work were talking about The Dark Knight Rises and how some of his friends were saying it was disappointing. I brought up how I loved that it returned to some of the ideas, themes and motifs set up in Batman Begins but skipped over in The Dark Knight and the more I thought about it the more I liked it. This customer comes up out of nowhere and starts telling us what idiots we are and that Batman and Robin was a better film and more faithful comic adaptation than any of Nolan's "shit-fests". Rather calmly I asked him what Batman comics he had read?
"All of them!" Bold claim, ay?
Have you read "Batman Year One?" I asked.
"No."
"Oh. The Long Halloween? Dark Victory? The Killing Joke? Knightfall? No Man's Land? The Dark Knight Returns?"
"No" he said, straight-faced. "I read good Batman comics." Me and my friend look at each other and this customer waves his hands up in the air and virtually shouts at us, "You've all been brain-washed! Nolan fanboys! You think he can do no wrong!"
My friend shrugs and says, "Actually I thought Insomnia was boring."
"I liked Insomnia," I say. "But I do have issues with some of his choices in the Dark Knight trilogy. As much as I love The Dark Knight it does feel the least Batman to me."
"Yeah right! You're just saying that 'cos you're on the spot trying to hang on to your shreds of dignity just like Nolan will be once the hype had died and everyone realises what a sham of a director he is."
Again, me and my friend look at each other. I decide to go back to work, say goodbye and head back to my department. Sadly, the troll customer decides to follow me.
"Look me in the eye and tell me you honestly liked The Dark Knight Rises!"
"What?"
"You can't do it! You're lying to yourself now! That's what Nolan does!"
"Right..."
"I can't believe he had Batman out in the daylight. What the fuck man!"
"Yeah, I didn't like that from the trailers but in the final film it made sense."
"Nolan is the only person ever been stupid enough to put Batman in daylight."
"What about the Adam West show?"
"That shit fest was way better than Nolan's shit fest!"
"Okay, I gotta get back to work now..."
"Oh yeah! Fuck! I actually forgot what i cam in here for now! See! That's what Nolan does!" and with that he left the store.
You see kids, Nolan makes you forget what you went out shopping for....

< Message edited by Vadersville -- 3/1/2013 10:29:37 AM >

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 695
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 3/1/2013 10:46:54 AM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

quote:

Did anyone watch Charlie Brooker's 2012 wipe last night? He described Dark Knight Rises is a superhero film for people who like to think they're watching the seventh seal when what they're actually watching is a childrens film and that calling a Batman film The Dark Knight was to make him seem more serious and that it was majorly pretentious and no more intellectually nourishing than the adam west film which was a better film because it knew it wasn't anything more than camp and fun.

The guy literally hits the nail on the head! genius. As for your comment on the previous films, they where much better movies so why wouldn't you give the third a watch.

That's funny because I watched the show too and can't remember the bit where he was doing carpentry

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 696
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 3/1/2013 10:47:49 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

I really hate not liking this movie and being in the company of others who don't like it. It feels like we all get grouped together.

Are you saying that feeling the same way about a particular film or director as someone else makes people put you in the same group? #ridleyscott #twitter

Ha! Despite my reputation, I am quite critical about Sir Riddles.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 697
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 3/1/2013 10:52:14 AM   
superdan

I find it amusing how often some of those who didn't like the film call those who did 'fanboys', and how often some of those who did like the film call those who didn't 'fanboys'.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 698
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 3/1/2013 11:05:34 AM   
Rgirvan44

You always lose the high ground if you use that term. I still count myself as a Nolan fanboy!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 699
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 3/1/2013 12:01:23 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

quote:

quote:

That's funny because I watched the show too and can't remember the bit where he was doing carpentry

*Tumbleweed*

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 700
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 3/1/2013 12:12:54 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

I'm a shit Nolan jihadist, I didn't like Batman Begins and The Prestige and already mentioned in the same post Phubbs posted that I had a lot of issues with TDKR, hence giving it a Nolan arse-licking 6/10. Also, hype alone must have meant why TDKR did so well, not that you know, some people actually liked it. I mean, look at how loved and well-recieved Prometheus and Indy 4 we...oh.

You do realize that as a Nolan fan I have to rip off your head and shit down your neck for saying bad things about my savior's films, right?

The streets will flow with the blood of the non-believers.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 3/1/2013 12:13:57 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 701
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 3/1/2013 12:16:38 PM   
Cool Breeze

Ah, the Dark Knight Rises favourite films thread.Where trolls waste their time ranting about a film they dislike and hate on anyone who does like the film and accuses them of being '' Nolan fanboys ''.

So i really like this film and think its better than Batman Begins and a close second to The Dark Knight.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 702
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 3/1/2013 12:41:45 PM   
Rgirvan44

You need to change your style Coolio - you can't keep going back to the greatest hits package.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 703
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 3/1/2013 1:06:32 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

You need to change your style Coolio - you can't keep going back to the greatest hits package.

As for me:
I like Batman.
I like Dark Knight Rises.
I like Christopher Nolan.
I don't feel the need to defend any/all of them at all.

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 704
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 3/1/2013 2:04:10 PM   
Discodez

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

quote:

quote:

*Tumbleweed*

That's literally the greatest comeback since Lazarus.

< Message edited by Discodez -- 3/1/2013 2:17:35 PM >

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 705
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 3/1/2013 2:06:10 PM   
shool

Ok, back on topic you two.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 706
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 3/1/2013 2:17:20 PM   
Discodez

Spoilsport

(literally)

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 707
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 3/1/2013 5:00:15 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

Ok, back on topic you two.

erm ok...what is the topic ? Oh.. yeh.. its not one of my favorite films! i don't even know why I am here...*throws a completely laughable and ineffective firecracker like Batman does to Bane in TDKR in the hope of a distraction so I can disappear without a trace*

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 708
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 3/1/2013 6:47:40 PM   
darkarius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville
"I can't believe he had Batman out in the daylight. What the fuck man!"
"Yeah, I didn't like that from the trailers but in the final film it made sense."
"Nolan is the only person ever been stupid enough to put Batman in daylight."
"What about the Adam West show?"
"That shit fest was way better than Nolan's shit fest!"

Lest we forget, crime only happens at night. Please tell me you put a boot up this blokes arse on his way out.

Nostalgia isnt what it used to be.

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 709
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 3/1/2013 7:15:18 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

You do realize that as a Nolan fan I have to rip off your head and shit down your neck for saying bad things about my savior's films, right?

The streets will flow with the blood of the non-believers.

Surely the Hardy connection with Nolan requires you to snap his farking neck an stick his head up his arse?

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 710
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 3/1/2013 7:46:37 PM   
Hood_Man

"Commissioner, they're in the sewers, what do you want to do?"

"Send in everyone and smoke them out!"

"Everyone, sir?"

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 711
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 4/1/2013 12:30:13 AM   
Sutty

anyone heard this? Very funny. Still love TDKR, but this is hilarious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W_PoL-dXf0

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 712
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 4/1/2013 5:41:40 AM   
Phubbs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

Perfect

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 713
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 6/1/2013 10:13:04 AM   
no1psh

I heard this and even though I'm a fan of the movie, some of the stuff said in this is so funny. Anyone else honestly sense sour grapes on Smith's part?

"I drink you're milkshake!"
"I drink it up"

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 714
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 6/1/2013 11:17:43 AM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: no1psh

I heard this and even though I'm a fan of the movie, some of the stuff said in this is so funny. Anyone else honestly sense sour grapes on Smith's part?

Some of the stuff in it is just stupid. His complaint that Bruce only is Batman twice - once to stop Ra's and then to stop Joker - and only puts on the cape when Gotham is about to be destroyed is very odd, considering we get a whole segment at the start of TDK showing the impact he's had and shows him rounding up Scarecrow. Plus Alfred's comments about taking a night off and the scars on his back. Heck, I do take issue with him giving up the cowl for 8 years after TDK (although some characters do say that was the last "confirmed" sighting of the batman and the refurbished cave suggest maybe he did carry on for a bit after) but that's just a daft.

I've also listened to the one where he's describing the entire movie to the other guy and ends up in tears because the ending was so emotional for him. He clearly is a fan but some of his complaints with the movie are a bit odd. The one that sticks out is him moaning that Bruce used his Batman voice to say "So that's what that feel like." when Selina disapeers. This was also brought up on the Empire podcast and I forget who said it but they said that when he puts on that cowl he is no longer Bruce Wayne, he's Batman. So of course he's going to use that voice. It also seemed an odd complaint because no one took issue with it in the scene between Lucius and Batman in TDK, where he's using his Batman growl in front of someone who clearly knows who he is. Also, from a pratical side, Selina might have just been hiding and not out of earshot so had he returned to his Bruce voice it might have given the game away...

But yeah, considering that the two Batman graphic novels that I read, written by Smith were horrendous in their mishandling of the character and just out right boring plots he's a fine one to talk.

< Message edited by Vadersville -- 6/1/2013 11:19:09 AM >

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to no1psh)
Post #: 715
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 6/1/2013 1:04:10 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

I've got that image in my head now of Bruce and Selina travelling to all these different cafe's, with Bruce saying "Ok, I promise, this is the last one, I'm sure they don't do this wine anywhere else."

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 716
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 6/1/2013 1:06:27 PM   
MonsterCat

I enjoyed the two podcasts Kevin Smith and Scott Mosier recorded for Rises. They were funny and Smith is obviously a passionate Batman fan.

As for his criticisms about Rises, he's perfectly entitled to bring them up. Frankly, he's more qualified than us to talk about these things because he's a scriptwriter and a director.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 6/1/2013 1:07:17 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 717
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 6/1/2013 2:20:33 PM   
Deviation

quote:

As for his criticisms about Rises, he's perfectly entitled to bring them up. Frankly, he's more qualified than us to talk about these things because he's a scriptwriter and a director.

....who directed Cop Out, Red State and Clerks 2. No way is he more qualified then me because doing nothing is better then doing those.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 718
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 6/1/2013 2:38:29 PM   
Cool Breeze

About a few of the so called plot holes and general criticisms that have been brought up here and elsewhere.

1) Not enough Batman.

I really dont get this.The film is about Bruce Wayne having to return to being Batman after an 8 year absence.Also, a large section of the plot has him literally and psychologically broken where he has to find the strength and will to defeat Bane.Naturally this means that there is less time in the suit than in the previous film where he was already an established presence in the city.He suits up in this film when the plot requires him to and i never found myself thinking there wasnt enough of him in the suit.

2) No explanation of how Bruce got back into Bane controlled Gotham.

Really am surprised people had a problem with this.It never occured to me or anyone else i know who have seen the film.Did certain people actually have a hard time beleiving that BATMAN can infiltrate a CITY under cover of darkness?

3) Its too long.

I didnt want this film to end as i thought it was so good.Two and a half hours flew by.

4) Not enough action.

Seriously? The skyjacking at the beginning.The shootout with Selina,the cops, and Banes men at the bar and sewers.Banes attack on the stock exchange and the ensuing bike chase.Batman and Selina vs Banes men.First Batman vs Bane fight ( Scene of the year for me ).The takeover of Gotham.The final battle to retake Gotham.Batman vs Bane round two.The Bat/truck/Tumbler chase.This film was packed with great action !

5) Gordon sending ALL the cops into the sewers

I took it that they were sending all the cops that they could spare.Not every single one of them.Besides, Bane was a real threat and they felt they had to commit their forces to go get him.

6) Batman surviving an atomic explosion with not enough time to escape.

The autopilot was fixed and there is a close up on Batman in a cockpit about 5 seconds before the big bang.Batman ejected in an escape pod and the close up of him is in this pod before we see the Bat explode.Thats my interpretation after seeing the film again anyway.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 719
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 6/1/2013 2:59:37 PM   
Whistler

quote:

quote:

....who directed Cop Out, Red State and Clerks 2. No way is he more qualified then me because doing nothing is better then doing those.

Red State is awesome!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 720
Page:   <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Dark Knight Rises Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI