Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Dark Knight Rises

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Dark Knight Rises Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/12/2012 6:20:43 PM   
rich

Who can say, all we have is this series of characters that have been apparently renamed, or ones like Flass who is there but doesn't resemble the guy from Year One at all. And then the whole John Blake = / = Tim Drake? Or something? Who knows.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 631
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 27/12/2012 11:55:51 AM   
Vitamin F

Missed this at the cinema, just watched on disc.
Loved it - probably the best one of the trilogy for me, despite some minor flaws (and a rubbish sound mix, on dvd anyway).

Begins is a great origins story, one of the best (arguable, I know), Dark Knight has the best character in the trilogy but there are a few rubbish plot points (the mobile phone thing in the final act which is just toooo easy), but Rises is the most consistent film for me, and the grim and brutal tone is just wonderful for a comicbook superhero story. More realism, less humour = good. Some real emotional depth too.

Avengers wasn't a patch on this. In fact none of the Marvel batch come close to this trilogy for me.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 632
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 29/12/2012 4:57:41 PM   
Cool Breeze

Its a pity that the trilogy is over and that Bale and Nolan wont be doing any more but i guess its best that they quit while they are ahead.They gave us the best comic book based trilogy ever and thats a staggering acheivement.I agree with the comment in the original Empire review, GOD HELP THE PERSON WHO REBOOTS THIS !

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 633
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 30/12/2012 10:13:47 PM   
Sutty

Anyone else noticed the staggeringly similar story/character arcs and parallels between TDKR and Rocky III?

Think about it... It's true!!

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 634
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 31/12/2012 6:40:05 AM   
Phubbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u843KNE-exo#ws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQJuGeqdbn4#ws

Sorry but the 'TDKR' one is so very accurate

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 635
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 31/12/2012 3:45:17 PM   
rich

I prefer the outtake version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acYl2lpq1YI

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 636
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 1/1/2013 3:48:45 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

My GF sat me down to watch this (as i bought it for her for Christmas). Thought it was OK. I think the Honest Trailer really sums up all my issues with the film, as lots of stuff seemed quite contrived or not very well thought out or explained. It's too long, needs more action and more Batman. Thought the final chase scene was a bit weak too and very short. Overall, i am genuinely surprised at all the holes in this as i kind of expect more from Nolan. Nowhere near his best (The Prestige) but better than Batman Begins (which i really hated).

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 637
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 1/1/2013 4:18:15 PM   
rich

Well I agree with The Prestige is his best, I think Batman Begins is the better one of this trilogy.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 638
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 1/1/2013 4:23:34 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

Well I agree with The Prestige is his best, I think Batman Begins is the better one of this trilogy.

Maybe i need to revisit it, i'm so critical of it all the time and haven't seen it in years. It just seemed like Nolan was the wrong choice (yes i know how inane that sounds due to his success with this franchise). It also feels like he reinvented his ideas for the Batman saga with the 2nd movie, dropping some of the more fantastical elements of Begins, like the monorail for example. Why did we not see any evidence of this in the other two movies? The city seems to change throughout the saga, it's clearly New York in Rises but looks more like Chicago in the 2nd movie. It's a little confusing and inconsistent.

To finish on a more positive note i think Bale gave his best performance in this one. His Batman voice was much more tolerable too. Hardy was great as Bane, really good voice. Shame he was ultimately negated to just a henchmen.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 639
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 1/1/2013 4:39:20 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

Maybe i need to revisit it, i'm so critical of it all the time and haven't seen it in years. It just seemed like Nolan was the wrong choice (yes i know how inane that sounds due to his success with this franchise). It also feels like he reinvented his ideas for the Batman saga with the 2nd movie, dropping some of the more fantastical elements of Begins, like the monorail for example. Why did we not see any evidence of this in the other two movies? The city seems to change throughout the saga, it's clearly New York in Rises but looks more like Chicago in the 2nd movie. It's a little confusing and inconsistent.

To finish on a more positive note i think Bale gave his best performance in this one. His Batman voice was much more tolerable too. Hardy was great as Bane, really good voice. Shame he was ultimately negated to just a henchmen.

Because it was destroyed at the end of the film? As for the changing city.I never noticed this.Its a BIG city, set in different locations.Anyway, its not as drastic as the change in the look of the city between Burtons two Batman films.

As for Bane being a henchman, thats the way he was portrayed in the comics and for the film it was a great twist as all the advertising set him up as being the big bad while in fact he was doing Talias bidding.

After seeing it a few times now, its gone up in my estimation as being better than Begins, but not as good as TDK, but that one is a tough one to top because it was so awesome.

Then again, TDKR is the only film to have Selina..

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 1/1/2013 4:46:34 PM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 640
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 1/1/2013 4:44:38 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

quote:

Because it was destroyed at the end of the film? As for the changing city.I never noticed this.Its a BIG city, set in different locations.Anyway, its not as drastic as the change in the look of the city between Burtons two Batman films.

As for Bane being a henchman, thats the way he was portrayed in the comics and for the film it was a great twist as all the advertising set him up as being the big bad while in fact he was doing Talias bidding.

After seeing it a few times now, its gone up in my estimation as being better than Begins, but not as good as TDK, but that one is a tough one to top because it was so awesome.

Well it was a pretty big monorail wasn't it? I think only a bit of it was destroyed.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 641
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 1/1/2013 4:48:58 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well it was a pretty big monorail wasn't it? I think only a bit of it was destroyed.

Well whos to say it wasnt repaired, we just didnt see it.Or maybe Wayne realised that having the Monorail leading directly to Wayne tower was too much of a potential threat for terrorists given what Ras attempted. and simply had it discontinued.

Post #: 642
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 1/1/2013 5:11:38 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well whos to say it wasnt repaired, we just didnt see it.Or maybe Wayne realised that having the Monorail leading directly to Wayne tower was too much of a potential threat for terrorists given what Ras attempted. and simply had it discontinued.

Right. I still think that the city seems quite inconsistent between the movies, but i don't want to belabour the point, the changes are obviously intentional.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 643
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 1/1/2013 5:16:31 PM   
Cool Breeze

One of my favourite scenes from Rises, and something i think hasnt been mentioned yet is when Batman makes his first appearance in Gotham in 8 years.When he stops the last of Banes men and takes the datapad, there are a ton of cops clearly heading his way.Batman isnt in the least bit concerned and casually strolls back to his Batpod as the cop cars surround him.Of course he manages to escape with no trouble at all.It just shows how bad ass he is.Of course he was going to lose the cops, he just hadnt done it yet.

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 1/1/2013 5:19:16 PM >

Post #: 644
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 1/1/2013 9:11:36 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

Anyone else noticed the staggeringly similar story/character arcs and parallels between TDKR and Rocky III?

Yeah, I mentioned it in my review:

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

Although there is one famous threequel which, surprisingly, The Dark Knight Rises does closely resemble. A tired, old, rich and complacent hero is hopelessly outclassed and totally overwhelmed by a much younger, stronger and more brutal opponent from the wrong side of the tracks driven by the one thing he no longer has – “the power of (self) belief”? Why, The Dark Knight Rises is… Rocky III! (Not a spoiler for anyone who has seen the poster, BTW.) And like The Italian Stallion, following a crushing and humiliating defeat The Dark Knight has to drag himself out of his own personal pit of despair by getting back to basics. Only the symbolic pit Bruce Wayne has to drag himself out of is all too real. Er, which makes Bane… Mr T! Only he doesn’t pity the fool.

You can read the rest of it here, BTW:

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3457157&mpage=36&key=

But I suggest you go to the toilet first. It's an epic!

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 645
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 1/1/2013 10:17:21 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

Right. I still think that the city seems quite inconsistent between the movies, but i don't want to belabour the point, the changes are obviously intentional.

I have to agree the inconsistancy in Gotham's appearance does bug me a fair bit, more in DKR than the others. Especially since there's a whole featurette on the BB DVD/Blu-Ray where they explain that not any one city can be Gotham and they used aerial shots from many different cities to make a unique Gotham composite. Obviously there's a lot of Chicago locations, but back then it was barely used as a location in major films so it was fresh and new. In TDK then they used only Chicago for Gotham, disappointing, but again, it was still a relatively un-used city for location and it tied in with some shots from BB (specifically the river and bridges). That said, I remember being disappointed the first time I saw the film in the cinema that the Wayne Tower that featured so prominently in BB (and was saved!) was abandoned for a generic looking skyscraper. By the time we get to DKR, Chicago has been used quite a bit for different films (most notably for me was Transformers 3. So bizzare seeing robots fighting over the bridges whhere the Batpod normally races over) so a lot was made of Nolan shooting in lots of different cities, including Pitsburg. But, when it really comes down to it, for the most part, Gotham is suddenly just New York. The aerial shots are just New York. And I hate that.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

Post #: 646
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 1/1/2013 10:27:51 PM   
Sutty

quote:

quote:

Yeah, I mentioned it in my review:

quote:

Although there is one famous threequel which, surprisingly, The Dark Knight Rises does closely resemble. A tired, old, rich and complacent hero is hopelessly outclassed and totally overwhelmed by a much younger, stronger and more brutal opponent from the wrong side of the tracks driven by the one thing he no longer has – “the power of (self) belief”? Why, The Dark Knight Rises is… Rocky III! (Not a spoiler for anyone who has seen the poster, BTW.) And like The Italian Stallion, following a crushing and humiliating defeat The Dark Knight has to drag himself out of his own personal pit of despair by getting back to basics. Only the symbolic pit Bruce Wayne has to drag himself out of is all too real. Er, which makes Bane… Mr T! Only he doesn’t pity the fool.

You can read the rest of it here, BTW:

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3457157&mpage=36&key=

But I suggest you go to the toilet first. It's an epic!

Will give it a read.

Also notice how the top of Banes mask givesd him a mohican look ala Clubber Lang.

Alfred begging Bruce to retire/stay retired just as Mickey begged Rocky not to take the fight, telly Rocky that this guy was too tough.

And Catwoman telling Batman that he has "given them everything" bears striking resemblances to Adrians pep talk to Rocky on the beach.

You could also argue that Rockys own "pit" was the gym that Apollo makes him train at away from Philly. Its only a shame that you never saw Bruce Wayne skipping like a motherfucker!

I reckon I look hard enough there will be a tonne more similarities.

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 647
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 1/1/2013 10:42:19 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

Often not being able to understand what the main characters are saying?

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 648
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 2/1/2013 12:47:57 AM   
Sutty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

Often not being able to understand what the main characters are saying?

now that's just mean!

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 649
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 2/1/2013 3:00:06 AM   
Phubbs

Yet more proof that 'TDKR' was in fact...a badly constructed anti climatic piece of crap.

http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=81349

Yeah I firmly believe that most folk did just jump on the bandwagon with this film, because it was a Nolan film and the third in this ridiculously over hyped trilogy.

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 650
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 2/1/2013 3:37:58 AM   
Deviation

Oh please, I wasn't fond of TDKR but saying that "I firmly believe that most folk did just jump on the bandwagon with this film, because it was a Nolan film and the third in this ridiculously over hyped trilogy" is also nonsense.

Btw, that video has a mix of what I agree with like the trusting in Talia, the waste of Juno Temple (whose grounds she walks on I worship), the cops in the sewers, the prison sequence or the cops being left alive, some I don't agree with like Bane's voice being incomprehensible (I loved Hardy's performance and voice), and others which make sense in the film and cannot be counted as flaws, like Bats being out-of-shape when fighting Bane and him simply loosing his touch.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 651
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 2/1/2013 11:00:52 AM   
jobloffski

That video proves only that if someone doesn't enjoy a movie, things that aren't logical in reality irritate the person watching a film. Particularly in the case of a long a busy film like TDKR it also proves that if you don;t like a film, you probably wont be paying enough attention to what is actually in the film to answer the questions people are asking of it. Such as people complaining about Bruce trusting Talia. He has known her for several YEARS and everything she has done to the point she reveals herself to him justifies him thinking she is as altruistic as he is. The fact this entire relationship isn't discussed at length on screen doesn't make it not make sense. The same is true of so many other supposed lacks of character motivation and logic gaps.

For example, Bane takes Bruce far away from Gotham to make him suffer and watch his failure play out on a TV screen helplessly, and gloats in his face about it, before going back to Gotham to start the show he wants Bruce to watch. There is absolutely fuck all wrong with that in a comic book based film. And despite the video saying it took Bruce, like, 12 hours to get back to Gotham, it actually is suggested in the movie that it took him a month. ANYBODY could hitch hike that far in a month. And Batman Begins portrayed Bruce as spending years learning to get around and survive with nothing in his pocket at all, stealing what he needed to survive, even before any Ninja shit was mentioned to him. And getting into a city unseen, the first film expresses Invisiblity is merely a matter of patience and agility. So Bruce getting into the city just fits into established prniples of theatricality, deception and misdirection.

Did TDK explain how The Joker managed to coordinate things so his plans would work, or, for example, how one of his henchmen was able to be in jail, with a bomb sewn inside himself so The Joker could escape? Or many other much larger logic gaps which, the more they are focused on make the film make no sense, such as there simply being no time for a man 'without a plan' to arrange all that he needed to arrange? Did BB explain how Batman could be hanging from a moving monorail train as if the track it was moving on had a nice convenient and unbroken gap for the rope to dangle through for the entirety of the monorail track, so the rope didn't snag on a cross support and yank Batman upwards and smash him against the monorail structure?

We forgive logic being stretched in films we like and condemn them in films we don't like. That said, the logic in TDKR is more sound, more grounded, and more foreshadowed than is often the case in films of this type, as it follows on from and develops principles established in the previous films in more ways than a film series usually does. But if you're too busy not enjoying a film to watch what is happening, listen to what is being said, relate how characters behave to terrible things that happened to them in a previous film and accept such things as (as it says in the first film) Gotham is a city so corrupt the LOS have managed to infiltrate every level of its infrastructure (which explains ALL the supposed logistical difficulties of how the plan can work in TDKR).

Don't like it and want to express that dislike, well, why not? Run a website and you want to earn advertising money from people who don't like a film, or do like a film clicking on your site to see your 'why it is shit' video, fine, why not? But feeling some need to piss on the party of people who did enjoy a film because I didn't and therefore I need to try to convince people who did like that they are either plain wrong or have been conned into liking it, well, I wont do that shit like I might have once, cos I realised it's a waste of my time and the time of others to repeatedly say why I don;t like a film like it's become a point of pride that I have to win an argument that can't be won because people like what they like and the opinions of others are worthless and an irritating pain in the arse in such circumstances. And it comes across like being the stick in the mud at a party not having a good time and they try to blame the party.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 2/1/2013 11:11:46 AM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 652
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 2/1/2013 12:15:12 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phubbs

a badly constructed anti climatic piece of crap.

You're perfectly entitled to not like the film of course.

quote:

Yeah I firmly believe that most folk did just jump on the bandwagon with this film, because it was a Nolan film and the third in this ridiculously over hyped trilogy.

But I just cannot abide this shit. Isn't it enough for you to just dislike the film? Why do you have to shit on those who like TDKR? You do realize you come across as an elitist when you say this guff, right?

Attack the film, not the people who like it

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 653
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 2/1/2013 1:25:29 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

That video proves only that if someone doesn't enjoy a movie, things that aren't logical in reality irritate the person watching a film.

I think it's also partially joking. The Avengers one and Amazing Spiderman video had not turning a clip with Scalette Johannson and Emily Blunt into a lapdance as a sin.

Which I can only agree with.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 654
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 2/1/2013 1:25:36 PM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phubbs

Yet more proof that 'TDKR' was in fact...a badly constructed anti climatic piece of crap.

http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=81349

I firmly believe that there is a growing "anti-Nolan" backlash bandwagon which is being jumped on by people who are not in any way clever enough to form thier own opinions into something coherent, so they scour the internet looking for what they think is clever stuff (but which is in fact badly constructed crap) becasue it mirrors something that they might think.

I await the first person who saw last night's Charlie Brooker programme to start paraphrasing Brooker's opinion like they thought of it themselves first.

Me I loved the film, but then I'm just a simpleton who's been conned into enjoying a film because of the hype ....

derp derp derp derp.

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 655
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 2/1/2013 1:26:27 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Why do we troll?

So we can learn to get up other people's backs.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 656
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 2/1/2013 1:27:40 PM   
MonsterCat

Homer is the moderator we deserve, but not the one we need right now.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 657
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 2/1/2013 1:29:31 PM   
shool

I liked the film, but didnt love the film. It missed something which TDK had. (Probably Heath Ledgers performance)

It would get a solid but not amazing 7/10 from me.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 658
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 2/1/2013 1:42:26 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Homer is the moderator we deserve, but not the one we need right now.

He's a dark knight and he'll keep defending us no matter what. Until he gets chased by some trolls and goes into seclusion for eight years making that sentence worthless.

quote:

I liked the film, but didnt love the film. It missed something which TDK had. (Probably Heath Ledgers performance)

It would get a solid but not amazing 7/10 from me.

I'd give it a 6 for how messy I found the plot, some stupid bits and some of the woeful editing, but I wasn't bored by it. But this is just talking out because I was hypnotized by hype, otherwise I would have given it a 2.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 2/1/2013 1:44:22 PM >

quote:

quote:

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 659
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 2/1/2013 1:45:47 PM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation
But this is just talking out because I was hypnotized by hype, otherwise I would have given it a 2.

Well that goes without saying.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 660
Page:   <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Dark Knight Rises Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI