Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Dark Knight Rises

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Dark Knight Rises Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 6/8/2012 8:08:41 PM   
themightyhutch

I watched this again on the IMAX screen in Waterloo and again found myself blown away by it. Not only for the stunning picture quality and sound but also for the film. It really is a corker. Even though there are things that don't entirely work the whole film is a fitting end to the trilogy. Although I found myself wanting to fight crime on the way out which probably wasn't a good thing, but hey ho I enjoyed it.

Also there's absolutely no ambiguity about the ending. It is what it is and I think people are trying to see more than there is.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 361
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 12/8/2012 1:25:50 AM   
Coyleone

So great to read through this thread after looking at the review thread and seeing all the negativity towards it, especially concerning 'plot holes'. Seriously, most of these 'plot holes' don't even exist, and can be explained easily. the only thing that kind of struck me as odd was the timing of the final sequences with the bomb, but apart from that it was fine. Apart from that, I agree entirely with the majority of posts in this thread. The more I think about it, the more I love it. That first fight scene with Batman and Bane was by miles the most powerful thing in any comic book or action movie ever imo and I don't think any film this year or for ages, could give me the feeling I got when Batman re-emerged on both occasions, or when he and Bane stared each other down before battling in the street amongst the crowd. Just wonderful.

(in reply to themightyhutch)
Post #: 362
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 12/8/2012 11:06:07 AM   
Rgirvan44

Loving the way criticism of the film is being dismissed as nitpicking and looking for plot holes that "can be explained".

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 363
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 12/8/2012 11:45:22 AM   
Cool Breeze

Watched it again last night and now think it is fast becoming my favourite of the trilogy.Just a fantastic movie that like most Nolan films, rewards multiple viewings.Film of the year for sure.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 364
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 12/8/2012 12:13:48 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Loving the way criticism of the film is being dismissed as nitpicking and looking for plot holes that "can be explained".

I swear the review thread isn't actually populated by people, it's various government experiments in artificial intelligence that have become sentient and latched onto Chris Nolan.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 365
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 12/8/2012 12:39:09 PM   
Rgirvan44

I've given up on that thread - just pages and pages of the same stuff over and over again.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 366
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 12/8/2012 5:21:25 PM   
Scott_

Caught this the other day, thought it was ace, not quite as good as The Dark Knight (which I watched yesterday and realised just how fucking brilliant it actually is). Theres too much going on, too much I didn't care about but it's still one hell of a film. Bane was awesome, loved the voice and he dominated the screen whenever he appeared.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 367
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 13/8/2012 3:37:32 PM   
st3veebee

Saw it for the third time at the weekend: it really does get better and better, especially Bane who is fast becoming one of my favourite villains of all time, so much more effective than the Joker.

The first showdown between Bats and Bane is stunning, with my favourite part being Bane's monologue when the lights go out. Chills down spine everytime.

The score is insane as well...love that bass during the plane sequence at the start.

As it stands now:

1. Begins/Knight Rises
2. The Dark Knight

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5
Post #: 368
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 16/8/2012 3:16:17 PM   
Filmfan 2

These may have already been posted here or elsewhere on the site but, in case they haven't, here's a link to two youtube videos of two of TDKR trailers complete with Bronson dialogue. It's goes without saying that if you're at work, for the love of God don't play it loud on any speakers, as the language is very fruity.

Trailer 1

Trailer 2

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 369
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 23/8/2012 8:23:25 PM   
Ghidorah

How it should have ended Dark Knight Rises

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLyoog562x4&list=UUHCph-_jLba_9atyCZJPLQQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Alot of time HISHE are shits and giggles. However sometimes they makes valid points like Transformers 2 or Matrix Revolution. The ending including Clark Kent in one of the alternatives ending is brilliant and it's a shame Nolan never went down that route. Imaging having Routh's Clark Kent having a drink with Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle. Implying Superman arrived in time to save Batman from the explosion. That makes more sense than having Batman having to glide ten miles in thirty seconds.

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 370
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 23/8/2012 10:08:06 PM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ghidorah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLyoog562x4&list=UUHCph-_jLba_9atyCZJPLQQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Alot of time HISHE are shits and giggles. However sometimes they makes valid points like Transformers 2 or Matrix Revolution. The ending including Clark Kent in one of the alternatives ending is brilliant and it's a shame Nolan never went down that route. Imaging having Routh's Clark Kent having a drink with Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle. Implying Superman arrived in time to save Batman from the explosion. That makes more sense than having Batman having to glide ten miles in thirty seconds.

I looked out for that the second time I saw it, and it really does come down to Batman jumping out last minute over the ocean, which is a bit daft I reckon. I was able to follow quite closely this time around, despite being a bit drunk. This maybe because I wasnt completely lost in an IMAX screen (they really are big). The middle really does lag, though i suppose it does help us realise how long batman is supposed to have been gone. My main gripe about the ending is Alfred. The ending is emotional in itself, but Michael Caine smacks it out of the park, it was a beautiful scene, which I think having Wayne be alive at the end cheapened.

Bane was just awesome though, I loved every bit of his scene time. Is it a bit much to have asked for more Bat v Bane?

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 371
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 23/8/2012 11:01:27 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

I also saw it a second time and my issues with the movie remain. The breaking of Batman/Gotham simply feels rushed and...empty. Like the end when Blake is told by Batman to lead the people away from the city. What we get is a bus load of kids.

The streets are so clean and tidy. There is no sense of goverment breaking down. The policemen are all clean shaven. What Bane tells Bruce he is going to do, and what we see are two very different things.

Really what about the scenes where:
- The whole of black gate prisoners being released. Following on from this Bane recruited the majority. So there wouldn't be mindless riots from the prisoners. I'm sure Bane was smart enough to take who he needed. Anyone not loyal to the cause would have been weeded out. Speculation but I'd say it's quite accurate considering Banes treatment of people throughout the film ...
- The rich being dragged from their homes etc.
- The majority of the police force being trapped.
- The crazy court of the scare crow + mob.

Some editing is also really weird

Blake name checks Bane to Bruce because Gordon was mumbling it while shot. But Gordon never heard the name Bane when he was down in the sewers. Is Gordon aware of Bane before this time? If so, why isn't Wayne?

Errmmm Bruce was a recluse for eight years?

Then as we see Blake leaving Alfred already has the information on Bane - was he listening in and then running upstairs to turn on Google?

Alfred wasn't a recluse for eight years.

And then there is the stock exchange which has one of the worse day for night transitions since X Men 3 - it is clear as day, then the next moment pitch black. They did it cause they wanted Batman in shadow but it doesn't make much sense.

How exactly was the Wayne transation allowed to happen? They had security cameras - I don't see why it would take a long time to prove fraud.

The transaction etc was started in the stock exchange but it didn't all finish till after the chase. Didn't they upload a virus too? My thoughts Bruce Wayne/Wayne Tech makes some serious plays on the stock exchange. This would have had world wide repercussions. People would have made trades instantly based on what Wayne Tech did. So imagine the red tape sorting it out. The film points it out right away Fox says they would be able to claim fraud long time but short term they are fucked. Which is all Bane really needed to do.

But with my previous niggles, and these new ones, it is still a very entertaining romp - I was engaged and liked a lot of it. But there are too many parts that bother me, and prevent it still from going beyond 3 stars.

On second viewing I've enjoyed this much more. My main issues are still with the last half of the film.

- Batman the pit: It does lag here. After the high point of Batmans defeat your left wondering ... what the hell!?!
- Batman + Police vs Bane and the mob: The police march directly at the mob. Which works as it is tense as hell. Batman disables the other tumblers. Then just leaves! How about some smoke, flash bangs, darts etc to the thin out the ranks of Banes thugs? Something to disable their firearms? A bit more strategy here would have been more believable. Though I guess they were desperate and Bane had raided the armoury.
- Going back to this it puts Batman in a situation he shouldn't be. A load of people with guns in the day light and out in the open. Sure the cops over run the mob and it became a slug fest. But anything to get away from this should have been done. A good clean head shot would still take Batman down.
- Batman vs the tanker: So he pretty much shoots it and kills the driver and Talia no? Did Talia really have to die? Didn't even see any wounds. Would have been more satisfying to see her just defeated.
- Talia: Is her twist needed? Would the chase be any less satisfying without her? Because apart from stabbing Batman (and undermining Bane somewhat) ...which he walks off latter ... that's all she get's to do. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy her moment ... but hmmmmm.
- The ending: Batman is clearly alive. But they've shown him flying in the Bat still for way too long. Once he clears the city enough it should have been auto pilot and the timer should have been extended.
- Batman vs Bane: Would have liked Batman to out smart Bane a bit as he gets battered the first time. Sure he decides to cut the mask rather than just punch it. But still ... first fight ... BATTERED. All you can say is as with the Joker Batman had underestimated Bane. Joker was put on the back burner and Bane left in a city without Batman.

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 23/8/2012 11:17:59 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 372
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 23/8/2012 11:50:22 PM   
giggity

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

quote:

I looked out for that the second time I saw it, and it really does come down to Batman jumping out last minute over the ocean, which is a bit daft I reckon. I was able to follow quite closely this time around, despite being a bit drunk. This maybe because I wasnt completely lost in an IMAX screen (they really are big). The middle really does lag, though i suppose it does help us realise how long batman is supposed to have been gone. My main gripe about the ending is Alfred. The ending is emotional in itself, but Michael Caine smacks it out of the park, it was a beautiful scene, which I think having Wayne be alive at the end cheapened.

Bane was just awesome though, I loved every bit of his scene time. Is it a bit much to have asked for more Bat v Bane?

Not really, the scene is still pretty fantastic regardless. To me the ending is great for two reasons,
1. In the comics, Bruce Wayne will never have a happy ending. He will always be Batman, he will always sacrifice and will always suffer to save Gotham. Same with the previous films, Even in the animated series Batman Beyond, when Bruce is no longer Batman. Bruce is shown as old, alone, angry. The ending to Dark Knight Rises finally gave him a happy ending, he has his own life to live now. Ever since he was a little boy he's been lost and not known where he belongs in the world and constantly fighting out of vengeance, but finally he gets some happiness, he's with Selina and he can go do whatever he wants and leave Gotham.
2. Bruce knows he was wrong in the way he acted towards Alfred and to say he's sorry he constructs Alfred's biggest wish. He gets Selina to wear the pearls with the tracking device so alfred can find them. He sits at the same cafe that he told him about earlier and he shows him he's okay and finally happy. It's both Bruce saying sorry and thank you for all he's done. It's a very beautiful moment between the two.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 373
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/8/2012 12:41:28 AM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: giggity

quote:

quote:

Not really, the scene is still pretty fantastic regardless. To me the ending is great for two reasons,
1. In the comics, Bruce Wayne will never have a happy ending. He will always be Batman, he will always sacrifice and will always suffer to save Gotham. Same with the previous films, Even in the animated series Batman Beyond, when Bruce is no longer Batman. Bruce is shown as old, alone, angry. The ending to Dark Knight Rises finally gave him a happy ending, he has his own life to live now. Ever since he was a little boy he's been lost and not known where he belongs in the world and constantly fighting out of vengeance, but finally he gets some happiness, he's with Selina and he can go do whatever he wants and leave Gotham.
2. Bruce knows he was wrong in the way he acted towards Alfred and to say he's sorry he constructs Alfred's biggest wish. He gets Selina to wear the pearls with the tracking device so alfred can find them. He sits at the same cafe that he told him about earlier and he shows him he's okay and finally happy. It's both Bruce saying sorry and thank you for all he's done. It's a very beautiful moment between the two.

Missed that line on the first watch. But that's another reason why it's clear he is alive.

On another note Bruce is wounded in Dark Knight Rises and despite two people who bring him back to life (Selina/Talia) betraying him, it's quite a change of character for him to try again and trust right away. Which again marks a huge change in character and progression for him to carry on.

I have to say though ...I can't see Bruce just leaving Blake to it. I'd think he'd at least train him to Batman at some point. I do wonder if he'd leave Bruce Wayne dead forever. Hell he'd lost a shit load of his money as noted at the end of the film the fraud wasn't sorted. Sure he was rich but ... rich enough to fund another Batman?

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 374
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/8/2012 8:52:27 AM   
giggity

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

quote:

quote:

quote:

Missed that line on the first watch. But that's another reason why it's clear he is alive.

On another note Bruce is wounded in Dark Knight Rises and despite two people who bring him back to life (Selina/Talia) betraying him, it's quite a change of character for him to try again and trust right away. Which again marks a huge change in character and progression for him to carry on.

I have to say though ...I can't see Bruce just leaving Blake to it. I'd think he'd at least train him to Batman at some point. I do wonder if he'd leave Bruce Wayne dead forever. Hell he'd lost a shit load of his money as noted at the end of the film the fraud wasn't sorted. Sure he was rich but ... rich enough to fund another Batman?

As soon as the gates close on Batman when catwoman takes him to Bane you see the regret on her face, and she spends the rest of the movie sorry for what she did. Bruce suspects theres more good to her, and right at the end she kisses him so I'd gather by then he trusts her. Plus we don't know how long the cafe scene is after the explosion of the bomb.

He didn't just leave him to it, he gave Blake all of the resources that Bruce owned to use. It wasn't all new stuff but the stuff he already owned like the suit, batpod etc...

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 375
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/8/2012 10:57:57 AM   
Dirk Miggler

Who's gonna pay the Batcave's monstrous electricity bill ? Alfred ? He's off touring europe with a shit load of Bruce's cash.

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 376
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/8/2012 11:23:49 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirk Miggler

Who's gonna pay the Batcave's monstrous electricity bill ? Alfred ? He's off touring europe with a shit load of Bruce's cash.

Maybe Batman has his own (electricity) generator in the basement!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 377
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/8/2012 11:48:46 AM   
st3veebee

quote:

- The ending: Batman is clearly alive. But they've shown him flying in the Bat still for way too long. Once he clears the city enough it should have been auto pilot and the timer should have been extended.

This is my main issue. It should never have shown those cockpit close-ups, or at least never shown them once he was out of the city.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

Post #: 378
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/8/2012 12:24:04 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

See 1 minute....

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 379
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/8/2012 12:51:05 PM   
Rgirvan44

Yeah, why the hell didn't he just flood the reactor?

*note - this is just a comment and is in no way wishing for a twenty page arguement.*

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 380
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/8/2012 1:17:04 PM   
giggity

Maybe he was afraid he'd get shot by Bane's goons?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 381
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/8/2012 2:23:05 PM   
Hood_Man

Surely they wouldn't stand around shooting people in a room flooding with water? Even though it's clear they're not afraid of death I imagine Bane would be smart enough to realise he shouldn't just waste them, he might have had a backup plan that required as many goons as possible to carry it out.

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 382
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/8/2012 2:58:43 PM   
Hood_Man

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 383
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/8/2012 4:11:23 PM   
giggity

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Surely they wouldn't stand around shooting people in a room flooding with water? Even though it's clear they're not afraid of death I imagine Bane would be smart enough to realise he shouldn't just waste them, he might have had a backup plan that required as many goons as possible to carry it out.

Well it would only take a second to realise the water is coming. 1 second more to pop Lucius in the back of the head. Then run to safety.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 384
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/8/2012 4:51:41 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

As soon as the gates close on Batman when catwoman takes him to Bane you see the regret on her face, and she spends the rest of the movie sorry for what she did. Bruce suspects theres more good to her, and right at the end she kisses him so I'd gather by then he trusts her. Plus we don't know how long the cafe scene is after the explosion of the bomb.

He didn't just leave him to it, he gave Blake all of the resources that Bruce owned to use. It wasn't all new stuff but the stuff he already owned like the suit, batpod etc...

Bruce Wayne

Educated at the best schools / Prviately
Travels the globe undercover to study the mind of a criminal
Trains & educates himself physically
Trained by the league of shadows to become Ras's right hand/successor
Becomes Batman & co develops tech with Fox

Blake
Trained as a cop
Handed the bat cave

Id say thats leaving him to it! Sure Bruce trusts him and believes his background suits but he'd have loads to teach Blake. Even if Blakes years in the GCPD out weigh Waynes travels Bruce could still teach him to be Batman.

The how it should have ended was hillarious as always :) "Get busy swimming, or get busy dying" :D

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 385
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/8/2012 4:56:17 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

Well it would only take a second to realise the water is coming. 1 second more to pop Lucius in the back of the head. Then run to safety.

They're still human beings though, not Unisols (Bane tells his men off for panicking when they brought Gordon into the sewer). The shock and confusion alone would last several seconds, and with the water pouring in that quickly those seconds would be the difference between running away on dry ground and running through rising water.

Bane might snap his neck or something though.

< Message edited by Hood_Man -- 24/8/2012 4:57:12 PM >

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 386
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/8/2012 4:56:51 PM   
Vadersville

Just saw it again for the 6th time. Still superb. I also laugh at people saying he would have had to swim back and that he must have bailed out at the very last second because we see him in the Bat. We see him in a seat. The Tumbler had an escape pod (The Bat pod), is it too much to presume that the Bat did too? Heck, He even looks down in that shot, as if he's seperated from the Bat and is looking down at it below.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

Post #: 387
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/8/2012 5:02:32 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

Yeah, why the hell didn't he just flood the reactor?

*note - this is just a comment and is in no way wishing for a twenty page arguement.*

Having just seen this again, the screen is on a display where it is just waiting for a hand print. I imagine Lucius would have to do something other than pressing just one button to flood the chamber and if he did attempt to do anything than place his palm on the panel Bane would probably just kill him and get another board member.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 388
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/8/2012 5:42:02 PM   
giggity

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bruce Wayne

Educated at the best schools / Prviately
Travels the globe undercover to study the mind of a criminal
Trains & educates himself physically
Trained by the league of shadows to become Ras's right hand/successor
Becomes Batman & co develops tech with Fox

Blake
Trained as a cop
Handed the bat cave

Id say thats leaving him to it! Sure Bruce trusts him and believes his background suits but he'd have loads to teach Blake. Even if Blakes years in the GCPD out weigh Waynes travels Bruce could still teach him to be Batman.

The how it should have ended was hillarious as always :) "Get busy swimming, or get busy dying" :D

Well going back to Batman Begins, when duelling with ra's on the ice Bruce says "I've had training" and Ra's replies "Training is nothing, Will is everything. The will to act" It wasn't the training that made Bruce Batman it was his will to know what to do at a seconds notice and as we saw from Rises, Blake was very instinctive and acted on everything from finding gordon, to driving across half the city while it was under attack to rescue Gordon.

Post #: 389
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 25/8/2012 9:45:35 PM   
Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

kumar

I had exactly the same main gripe. Although the ending was the one most people wanted (me included) and it tied up everything nicely, it just made a nonsense of that absolutely heart-wrenching moment where Alfred is clearly torn to his very soul by a sense of responsibility for what has happened. And then he sees Batman in that cafe and realises he's okay and not so much as a lump in the throat. If Batman's death had torn Alfred apart, the realisation that he was - in fact - alive, would surely have left him a blubbing wreck on the floor?!?! So it just felt like it cheapened that wonderful previous scene with Caine.

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 390
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Dark Knight Rises Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI