Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Americanisation of everything!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Americanisation of everything! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 9/8/2012 2:51:14 PM   
lulu karma

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: lulu karma
Bacon in your land scares me. It's stretchy. Ours is crisp.

We have crispy bacon too - it's called streaky. The difference is that we Brits benefit from also having easy access to back (which is the most popular cut) and middle bacon, which is something I don't think you Stateside peeps have the luxury of in most of your grocery stores (correct me if I'm wrong, though). The other thing to consider is one of average national taste - Americans like bacon to be cooked to the point of shattering when you put a fork into it (which is how I like it too, as it happens), whereas most Brits like it cooked just to the point where the fat has begun to crisp up, but not so much that the meat has been overcooked (which, technically, bacon in America is).

We have center cut and stuff like that. I just look for pepper bacon and all is well in my bacon world.

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that fucked-up bar.

This is the captain speaking. It appears we are going down. Now may be the time to reflect upon your life and pray to whatever deity you believe in. We know you have your choice of airlines and apparently you made the wrong one.

The eyes are the nipples of the face.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 91
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 9/8/2012 2:54:06 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

bacon world.

I WANT TO GO THERE.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 92
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 9/8/2012 3:21:55 PM   
chewbacasnapsak

I was puzzled the other day by the new term Uneven Bars for the Asymetric Bars in the gymnastics and they changed it apparently because the word Asymetric was confusing the Americans.

Now i fond this to be quite condesending to Americans. All through my life if i came across a word i didnt understand I looked it up, I didn't demand it to be changed so it didnt hurt my brain.

Surely instead of changing words maybe we should let people struggle until they fucking use some initiative and look it up for themselves, I dont know on the internet or something its not difficult.

"who'd pay a million dollars to have me killed"
"jealous husbands, outraged chefs, humiliated tailors...the list is endless"

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 93
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 9/8/2012 3:32:42 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: chewbacasnapsak

I was puzzled the other day by the new term Uneven Bars for the Asymetric Bars in the gymnastics and they changed it apparently because the word Asymetric was confusing the Americans.

Now i fond this to be quite condesending to Americans. All through my life if i came across a word i didnt understand I looked it up, I didn't demand it to be changed so it didnt hurt my brain.

Surely instead of changing words maybe we should let people struggle until they fucking use some initiative and look it up for themselves, I dont know on the internet or something its not difficult.

The bunch of philosophers should have their licence revoked.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to chewbacasnapsak)
Post #: 94
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 9/8/2012 3:37:51 PM   
chewbacasnapsak

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

The bunch of philosophers should have their license revoked.

Yes, Bollocks to the lot of them (name changers, not Americans i'm sure some of them are lovely)

"who'd pay a million dollars to have me killed"
"jealous husbands, outraged chefs, humiliated tailors...the list is endless"

Post #: 95
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 9/8/2012 4:20:08 PM   
lulu karma

quote:

quote:

bacon world.

I WANT TO GO THERE.

Rivers of cheese and bacon here.

I've never heard of the bars being called anything but uneven.

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that fucked-up bar.

This is the captain speaking. It appears we are going down. Now may be the time to reflect upon your life and pray to whatever deity you believe in. We know you have your choice of airlines and apparently you made the wrong one.

Post #: 96
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 9/8/2012 4:22:33 PM   
lulu karma

quote:

quote:

quote:

The bunch of philosophers should have their license revoked.

Yes, Bollocks to the lot of them (name changers, not Americans i'm sure some of them are lovely)

I think loppy bars sounds better. We should go with that to avoid this war between our countries.

(in reply to chewbacasnapsak)
Post #: 97
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 9/8/2012 4:26:30 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

I've never heard of the bars being called anything but uneven.

How odd.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 98
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 9/8/2012 4:32:55 PM   
superdan

I usually find after 10 pints that bars are very uneven WAKKAWAKKA!

Post #: 99
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 9/8/2012 4:42:20 PM   
lulu karma

Along with sidewalks and everything else.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 100
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 9/8/2012 6:32:26 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

I had a burger, recently, from a place called Texas BBQ or something. What I did was order the burger but I ordered bacon, cheese, onions, more bacon, more cheese and BBQ sauce. Now some people hate Americans they blame them for the lots of different things not electing Martin Sheen, improving their television, hating on the French and wading into conflicts claming they won the fucker, but if I'm going to have a burger... well if I'm going to eat a burger... if I am going to sit down and eat a mother fucking American son-of-a-gun, shoot up my high school, the shit, made of 100% of something, on an outdoor wide open grassland plain, indian killing mother fucker of a burger. I was to Americanise that fucker.

And I will not apologise about it (except for my cultural reference or my profanity)

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 101
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 9/8/2012 6:40:03 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Still hating the word "Awesome".
To many people are using it.

(in reply to Kilo_T_Mortal)
Post #: 102
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 9/8/2012 6:41:49 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

the burger was pretty good though, pretty, pretty, pretty, good.

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 103
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 10/8/2012 7:08:01 PM   
lulu karma

I just had a bison burger with a thick slice of Wisconsin cheddar, thick hickory smoked bacon and onion marmalade. It was a great lunch. Even with only eating half, I feel full and sleepy. It's only 2pm.

(in reply to Kilo_T_Mortal)
Post #: 104
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 10/8/2012 7:45:06 PM   
donethinking

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Why is that unacceptable either? Jamacian culture, from reggae to rudeboy culture has been a influence of british culture on and off since about 1968. Surely this is just the latest influence of that? I don't really understand why being influenced by other cultures is such a bad thing, really.

I'm not saying it is...Its the tough guy posturing thats employed whilst talkin all "gangsta" that I cant be bothered with.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 105
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 11/8/2012 8:52:45 PM   
tarantinofan

the usage of the word "bro" with an English accent.

(in reply to donethinking)
Post #: 106
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 11/8/2012 8:55:17 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: donethinking

quote:

Why is that unacceptable either? Jamacian culture, from reggae to rudeboy culture has been a influence of british culture on and off since about 1968. Surely this is just the latest influence of that? I don't really understand why being influenced by other cultures is such a bad thing, really.

I'm not saying it is...Its the tough guy posturing thats employed whilst talkin all "gangsta" that I cant be bothered with.

It also sounds annoying. No reason why, it just irritates me. Like that flatmate who means well but just can't do anything right in your eyes.

(in reply to donethinking)
Post #: 107
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 14/8/2012 11:08:52 AM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: tarantinofan

Can't stand the word 'bro' or it's retard cousin 'brah'. Calling people 'dogs' is pathetic as well...and excessive hand movements while talking.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to tarantinofan)
Post #: 108
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 14/8/2012 11:20:21 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: tarantinofan

Can't stand the word 'bro' or it's retard cousin 'brah'. Calling people 'dogs' is pathetic as well...and excessive hand movements while talking.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 109
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 14/8/2012 12:08:45 PM   
Hood_Man

In an attempt to cut down on Americanisms, I've been replacing all my Z's with S's.

On the downside, I now go to bed and wake up feeling deflated.

Post #: 110
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 14/8/2012 12:56:26 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

In an attempt to cut down on Americanisms, I've been replacing all my Z's with S's.

Bedoom tzh.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 111
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 14/8/2012 5:18:15 PM   
donethinking

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 112
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 14/8/2012 6:29:49 PM   
sanchia

I heard a teenager walking along the road the other day (and yes it was the road even though there was a pavement) use the word "swag" (in the context of having a lot of desirable goods and clothing) the other day. Now unless you are wearing a stripy shirt a domino mask and have a bag with swag written upon it such a term should not be used.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 14/8/2012 6:31:37 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 113
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 14/8/2012 6:40:16 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

I heard a teenager walking along the road the other day

Was the teenager a Morris Dancer?

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 114
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 14/8/2012 8:26:41 PM   
sanchia

He may well have had bells on his ankles under those baggy jeans.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 115
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 15/8/2012 1:58:19 PM   
Rhubarb

Swag's not especially an americanism though is it? It comes from exactly where you suggest

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 116
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 15/8/2012 2:18:24 PM   
donethinking

quote:

Swag's not especially an americanism though is it? It comes from exactly where you suggest

It ties in nicely with people being wankers tho...

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 117
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Americanisation of everything! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI