Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Americanisation of everything!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Americanisation of everything! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 2:47:42 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Speaking of kids, I reprimanded my niece for saying 'couch' instead of 'settee' the other day.

Are you talking about the sofa?

The what?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 61
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 2:51:14 PM   
superdan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Speaking of kids, I reprimanded my niece for saying 'couch' instead of 'settee' the other day.

The what?

THE SOFA.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 62
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 2:54:24 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

quote:

quote:

The what?

THE SOFA.

I'm reading the letters but it's just not going in. Is it foreignish?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 63
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 2:57:23 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The what?

THE SOFA.

Must be a hard life never being able to watch a video or eat a gateau.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 64
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 2:57:33 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: lulu karma

Or if they are talking loudly on their mobile on the elevator in the morning.

Don't you mean "talking loudly on their cell in the lift?"
ps hello Lu

My kids have started to say "living room" instead of lounge. I'm pretty sure this is an Americanisation, so I've banned them from eating twinkies for a week.

I thought it was the other way round? Mind, I've always said 'sitting room' anyway.

Yeah, it's always been living room as far as I'm concerned, with "lounge" being the US preference (hence lounge suit, lounge misuc, lounge lizard etc all being of US origin). I reckon jonson should be made to eat twinkies for a week as punishment!  I've always seen the sitting room as the "good room" that you keep for visitors or, as my gran insisted on calling it, the parlour.  Then again, she also called the kitchen "the scullery", so what did she know?

Exactly. The sitting room is the good room, just next to the drawing room across from the music room. Yes, I am posh.
The lounge is where you "lounge" ie watching TV, and generally dossing around.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 65
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 2:58:14 PM   
elab49

My mum still varies between settee and couch - the younger generations all use the latter. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 66
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 2:58:59 PM   
superdan

quote:

Actually, etymologically I believe it's Arabic in origin (just as couch is Old French). Sofa is the word I use. Settee seems a bit prissy and couch is just a horrible-sounding word.

Post #: 67
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 3:13:47 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The what?

THE SOFA.

Must be a hard life never being able to watch a video or eat a gateau.

Not if you own a DVD player and don't like cake.

Post #: 68
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 3:23:12 PM   
lulu karma

I call it my napping piece. I fall asleep on the sofa/couch all the time.

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that fucked-up bar.

This is the captain speaking. It appears we are going down. Now may be the time to reflect upon your life and pray to whatever deity you believe in. We know you have your choice of airlines and apparently you made the wrong one.

The eyes are the nipples of the face.

Post #: 69
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 4:33:06 PM   
Chief

I call it the couch.

Jonson, can you organise a game of real life Cluedo (Clue for those daft Yanks that don't know what Cluedo is....) in your house?

Post #: 70
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 5:38:55 PM   
lulu karma

Cluedo... Is that like the Walkers/Lays, Marathon/Snickers name mix up?

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that fucked-up bar.

This is the captain speaking. It appears we are going down. Now may be the time to reflect upon your life and pray to whatever deity you believe in. We know you have your choice of airlines and apparently you made the wrong one.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 71
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 5:45:18 PM   
sanchia

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ps hello Lu

My kids have started to say "living room" instead of lounge. I'm pretty sure this is an Americanisation, so I've banned them from eating twinkies for a week.

I thought it was the other way round? Mind, I've always said 'sitting room' anyway.

Yeah, it's always been living room as far as I'm concerned, with "lounge" being the US preference (hence lounge suit, lounge misuc, lounge lizard etc all being of US origin). I reckon jonson should be made to eat twinkies for a week as punishment!  I've always seen the sitting room as the "good room" that you keep for visitors or, as my gran insisted on calling it, the parlour.  Then again, she also called the kitchen "the scullery", so what did she know?

Exactly. The sitting room is the good room, just next to the drawing room across from the music room. Yes, I am posh.

Lounge originated about 1830 meaning a comfortable Drawing Room and Living Room in England in 1848 so both are British. However, Lounge appears to be the adopted US word primarily becoming popular in the 50's although has developed in popularity from approx 1917.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 7/8/2012 5:46:20 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 72
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 7:43:53 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ps hello Lu

Lounge originated about 1830 meaning a comfortable Drawing Room and Living Room in England in 1848 so both are British. However, Lounge appears to be the adopted US word primarily becoming popular in the 50's although has developed in popularity from approx 1917.

If they'd called it the 'den' on the other hand, a good bollocking would surely have been in order?

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 73
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 8:16:07 PM   
Biggus

The term 'to suck'. As in "This movie sucks!" You'll never hear me say that.

Even worse is when someone says "This sucks arse" in an English accent. Just sounds ridiculous.

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 74
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 9:04:03 PM   
gingerdaniel

They take a nice looking meal and either put cheese or bacon on it, or both!

Do you run? Check THIS out

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 75
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 10:32:45 PM   
great_badir

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ps hello Lu

But doesn't lounge, in the American sense of the word (and in those cases as described by horriblieves), refer more to a semi formal indoor public gathering space where they might serve cocktails and have dancing girls and/or a swing band, and everyone would sit on big sofas around the egde of the room?

< Message edited by great_badir -- 7/8/2012 10:33:32 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 76
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 10:51:53 PM   
Shifty Bench

I have always said 'Living Room' and I'm old. Never once thought of it as American. Then again, I have never lived in a house with a dining room or any other extra rooms outside of the essential, so a 'Living Room' is always what we had.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 7/8/2012 10:53:48 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 77
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 11:06:11 PM   
steffols

Yup, it's always been the living room for me as well. Although my other half is from Essex and he tends to say lounge. Well, he used to until he started living with me. Before me, he called his remote control the remote control, but now he's adopted me and my family''s term 'the buttons'.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 78
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 11:11:19 PM   
Shifty Bench

'The buttons'? That's great

My mum calls it 'the doofer'. I think it was just a nonsensical word she came up with when she couldn't think of the words 'remote' and 'control'

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 79
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 11:45:03 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: gingerdaniel

They take a nice looking meal and either put cheese or bacon on it, or both!

I'm sorry: this is bad how?

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 80
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 8/8/2012 1:02:27 AM   
boaby

Living room. Or front room. Lounge is what the bar with the less sticky floor is called in country hotels.

As for yanks and food... syrup? On breakfast? Pancakes and meat? Thank phuck that nonsense hasn't crossed the Atlantic yet.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

Post #: 81
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 8/8/2012 8:59:49 AM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

'The buttons'? That's great

My mum calls it 'the doofer'. I think it was just a nonsensical word she came up with when she couldn't think of the words 'remote' and 'control'

I've heard it called that before too. I think it's term that belongs to older women that aren't too at home with technology.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 82
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 8/8/2012 12:20:31 PM   
donethinking

Funnily enough my Mother calls it 'the doofer' too

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 83
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 8/8/2012 12:27:58 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: boabyAs for yanks and food... syrup? On breakfast? Pancakes and meat? Thank phuck that nonsense hasn't crossed the Atlantic yet.

Actually it has and it's been around for ages - loads of cafes/breakfast places do it round these parts. Even though I do agree with you, the syrup thing is just an extension of maple cured bacon isn't it? Which isn't completely bonkers (nor is it American in origin, I don't think).

RE remote control - I've always said buttons or remote. My wife says box, which confused me for years cos I always thought she was referring to the TV. I think buttons is a very Welsh thing - all of my family (who are all Welsh) have always called them buttons.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 84
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 8/8/2012 4:27:28 PM   
lulu karma

Bacon in your land scares me. It's stretchy. Ours is crisp.

On the west coast of my fair land, there are a lot of pancake/chicken houses. You receive a plate of pancakes and fried chicken covered in syrup. Although I love pancakes, bacon and eggs with syrup on the cakes, the thought of fried chicken covered in syrup is gross to me.

Post #: 85
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 8/8/2012 5:40:32 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

Actually it has and it's been around for ages - loads of cafes/breakfast places do it round these parts. Even though I do agree with you, the syrup thing is just an extension of maple cured bacon isn't it? Which isn't completely bonkers (nor is it American in origin, I don't think).

Damn those Canadians and their wily ways.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 86
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 8/8/2012 6:21:01 PM   
Rhubarb

Serious question: Why does the Ameicanisation of things annoy people? Is it that America is outright vulgar to them so its naturally offensive? Is it that something about dear old England that is being lost?

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 87
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 8/8/2012 7:21:33 PM   
donethinking

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Serious question: Why does the Ameicanisation of things annoy people? Is it that America is outright vulgar to them so its naturally offensive? Is it that something about dear old England that is being lost?

It doesnt bother me that much, what does bother me is young 'uns talking like they're jamaican gangsters

< Message edited by donethinking -- 8/8/2012 7:27:55 PM >

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 88
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 8/8/2012 10:00:29 PM   
great_badir

quote:

Bacon in your land scares me. It's stretchy. Ours is crisp.

We have crispy bacon too - it's called streaky. The difference is that we Brits benefit from also having easy access to back (which is the most popular cut) and middle bacon, which is something I don't think you Stateside peeps have the luxury of in most of your grocery stores (correct me if I'm wrong, though). The other thing to consider is one of average national taste - Americans like bacon to be cooked to the point of shattering when you put a fork into it (which is how I like it too, as it happens), whereas most Brits like it cooked just to the point where the fat has begun to crisp up, but not so much that the meat has been overcooked (which, technically, bacon in America is).

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

Damn those Canadians and their wily ways.

Nah nah, I'm sure it goes back further afield than that. I know a lot of native American tribes used to cook and cure numerous meats using a form of maple syrup, but I think the specific bacon curing thing has a European origin (I am not necessarily subtly suggesting Denmark).

< Message edited by great_badir -- 8/8/2012 10:29:36 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 89
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 9/8/2012 11:01:07 AM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: donethinking

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

It doesnt bother me that much, what does bother me is young 'uns talking like they're jamaican gangsters

Why is that unacceptable either? Jamacian culture, from reggae to rudeboy culture has been a influence of british culture on and off since about 1968. Surely this is just the latest influence of that? I don't really understand why being influenced by other cultures is such a bad thing, really.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to donethinking)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Americanisation of everything! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI