Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Americanisation of everything!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Americanisation of everything! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 25/7/2012 1:00:03 PM   
The Big Guy

Language evolves. Things change. You either have to embrace the change or get left behind. I am not certain that complaining about it ever made a difference.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 31
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 25/7/2012 1:03:54 PM   
Chief

Not really an Americanisation but the way those crazy Yanks pronounce Red Bull does my tits in. I'm not sure if it's the way they emphasise or because they say it as one word - Redbull. It's Red Bull.

(in reply to The Big Guy)
Post #: 32
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 27/7/2012 1:08:37 PM   
Gram123

Reiterating a previous point...
The Americanization that annoys me is in subtitling foreign films. I can just about handle seeing a subbed HK actor having American colloquialisms ascribed, such as "gee" or "buddy", but when they change things like the national currency to their own it rather boils my piss.

e.g. In one of Werner Herzog's Germany-set films, I forget which (Woyzeck, maybe), instead of talking pfennings and marks, the subs said dollars, cents, nickels & dimes. But you can see and hear him saying the German currency...

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 33
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 30/7/2012 3:16:51 PM   
horribleives

People demanding apologies all the time, especially on the internet.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 34
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 30/7/2012 4:14:04 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Probably the wrong place but I hate the fact the word "awesome" has grown into the British vocabulary.
I really hate the word "Awesome" and it should really bugger off to where it came from IE America or Australia.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 35
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 30/7/2012 4:29:07 PM   
Ref

The one that really annoys me is when people acknowledge each other with, "Hey". No, no, no, NO!

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 36
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 30/7/2012 4:34:36 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

People demanding apologies all the time, especially on the internet.

I'm sorry, but that's just stupid.

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Probably the wrong place but I hate the fact the word "awesome" has grown into the British vocabulary.
I really hate the word "Awesome" and it should really bugger off to where it came from IE America or Australia.

Nah, it's awesome.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ref

The one that really annoys me is when people acknowledge each other with, "Hey". No, no, no, NO!

Hey, people do, you're right!

etc...

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 37
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 30/7/2012 4:45:25 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Nah, it's awesome.

Nail-gun and tongue come to mind at this current moment.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 38
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 30/7/2012 5:07:53 PM   
horribleives

Going back to the 'demanding apoliogies' thing, the whole insidious trend of people proudly wearing their badge of outrage and defending their right to be offended at the most trivial slight is very american. Again, it's particularly evident on the internet (though it doesn't happen on here very often now a much-missed former member is no longer scanning every post for something, anything to take offense at...) but it's becoming increasingly prevalent in normal life too. It's as if a whole generation of uptight, arrogant brits have watched every episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm and decided Larry's the bad guy.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 39
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 30/7/2012 5:28:21 PM   
sanchia

quote:

Going back to the 'demanding apoliogies' thing, the whole insidious trend of people proudly wearing their badge of outrage and defending their right to be offended at the most trivial slight is very american. Again, it's particularly evident on the internet (though it doesn't happen on here very often now a much-missed former member is no longer scanning every post for something, anything to take offense at...) but it's becoming increasingly prevalent in normal life too. It's as if a whole generation of uptight, arrogant brits have watched every episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm and decided Larry's the bad guy.

Take that back! How dare you state such a thing!

(You knew it was coming )

Sadly arrogance and egocentricity does appear to be on the rise in the U.K.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 40
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 30/7/2012 5:45:08 PM   
donethinking

quote:

So much this^
not to mention India wanting an apology for the woman who walked out with the Indian athletes.....or N.Korea taking offence to the wrong flag being put up, i'm surprized they didnt declare war on GB for that one.

< Message edited by donethinking -- 30/7/2012 5:46:58 PM >

Post #: 41
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 30/7/2012 7:14:30 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

Take that back! How dare you state such a thing!

(You knew it was coming )

Sadly arrogance and egocentricity does appear to be on the rise in the U.K.

I don't think so.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 42
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 30/7/2012 8:52:44 PM   
sanchia

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 43
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 3/8/2012 3:34:19 AM   
Sotto Voce

"My bad."

What? Form a bloody sentence!
Sounds like Jar Jar Binks.

All things digested have a similar hue.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 44
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 1:34:19 AM   
lulu karma

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

I have heard people calling the pavement a sidewalk. Also I recently heard someone asking for a zucchini at the supermarket.

That was wrong. It should be succhini. And everyone knows the street is the pavement.

About the awesome thing... I really want to punch someone in the tits or balls when I hear that exclamation.

Then again, I just like to punch people in those areas anyway. Especially if they are in line at Subway acting like they have never been there before. Or if they are talking loudly on their mobile on the elevator in the morning.

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that fucked-up bar.

This is the captain speaking. It appears we are going down. Now may be the time to reflect upon your life and pray to whatever deity you believe in. We know you have your choice of airlines and apparently you made the wrong one.

The eyes are the nipples of the face.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 45
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 8:10:05 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: lulu karma

Or if they are talking loudly on their mobile on the elevator in the morning.

Don't you mean "talking loudly on their cell in the lift?"
ps hello Lu

My kids have started to say "living room" instead of lounge. I'm pretty sure this is an Americanisation, so I've banned them from eating twinkies for a week.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 46
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 8:51:02 AM   
Gram123

Looks like "living room" was in use in the late 1700s, so probably not an Americanism, seeing as it was just being founded / independified. "Lounge room" has more chance of being an Americanism, I finks.
At least they're not calling it the "den" or the "rec room"!

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 47
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 11:40:52 AM   
Chief

I call it the living room, I thought that's what everyone that isn't a posh twat called it?

Post #: 48
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 12:14:54 PM   
donethinking

I always thought it was living room too....as long as you dont say it with an upward inflection like your asking a question ?

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 49
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 12:17:17 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sotto Voce

"My bad."

What [does that even mean]? [I wish people would] [f]orm a bloody sentence!
[It] [s ]ounds like Jar Jar Binks.

/Pedanted

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 50
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 1:12:20 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

ps hello Lu

My kids have started to say "living room" instead of lounge. I'm pretty sure this is an Americanisation, so I've banned them from eating twinkies for a week.

I thought it was the other way round? Mind, I've always said 'sitting room' anyway.
Speaking of kids, I reprimanded my niece for saying 'couch' instead of 'settee' the other day. It felt great.
Even worse than the deeply annoying 'my bad' though, is the frankly insidious cult of lazy sarcasm that is '(something), much?' Grown men have even been know to use this (though mainly on the internet so the suitability of the word 'grown' is debatable) blissfully unaware it makes them sound like Hannah Montana.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 51
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 1:52:42 PM   
lulu karma

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

I call it the living room, I thought that's what everyone that isn't a posh twat called it?

Stop calling jonson posh.

Ooo, lounge. I am going to use that. We call our house The Plantation because of the huge porch. The house is wee.

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that fucked-up bar.

This is the captain speaking. It appears we are going down. Now may be the time to reflect upon your life and pray to whatever deity you believe in. We know you have your choice of airlines and apparently you made the wrong one.

The eyes are the nipples of the face.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 52
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 1:59:26 PM   
elab49

Is lounge maybe a term if you have more than one of these public rooms? Every house I was in growing up just had a living room. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 53
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 2:04:05 PM   
great_badir

Both living room and lounge are UK-English and both acceptable. I believe the history of the words' respective uses is linked to class - living room (or area) would generally be used by the upper classes, whilst lounge was what the working classes would use. Sitting room and day room (again, both UK-English) have also been used. I'm not sure if Americans have an obviously American alternative?

But for years the two have been interchangable and rely largely on what you were bought up using - I've always said lounge, my wife has always said living room.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 54
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 2:04:14 PM   
horribleives

I've only ever used the noun 'lounge' for the section of a pub that isn't the bar.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 55
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 2:04:28 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

ps hello Lu

I thought it was the other way round? Mind, I've always said 'sitting room' anyway.

Yeah, it's always been living room as far as I'm concerned, with "lounge" being the US preference (hence lounge suit, lounge misuc, lounge lizard etc all being of US origin). I reckon jonson should be made to eat twinkies for a week as punishment!  I've always seen the sitting room as the "good room" that you keep for visitors or, as my gran insisted on calling it, the parlour.  Then again, she also called the kitchen "the scullery", so what did she know?

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 56
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 2:06:00 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

Both living room and lounge are UK-English and both acceptable. I believe the history of the words' respective uses is linked to class - living room (or area) would generally be used by the upper classes, whilst lounge was what the working classes would use. Sitting room and day room (again, both UK-English) have also been used. I'm not sure if Americans have an obviously American alternative?

Must be a regional thing too as it's generally the other way round where I'm from.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 57
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 2:06:51 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

Must be a regional thing too as it's generally the other way round where I'm from.

That might be it - and ditto.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 58
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 2:22:30 PM   
donethinking

quote:

Speaking of kids, I reprimanded my niece for saying 'couch' instead of 'settee' the other day. It felt great.

Post #: 59
RE: Americanisation of everything! - 7/8/2012 2:33:03 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

Speaking of kids, I reprimanded my niece for saying 'couch' instead of 'settee' the other day.

Are you talking about the sofa?

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Americanisation of everything! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI