Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

How best to tackle Civil War?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> How best to tackle Civil War? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How best to tackle Civil War? - 18/7/2012 12:35:56 PM   
kata

Currently got 24 tabs open for all the collected editions which I'm going to slowly build up over time. Just not sure how best to tackle them, anyone have any idea?

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"
Post #: 1
RE: How best to tackle Civil War? - 18/7/2012 12:52:48 PM   
sharkboy

With moderate to low expectations

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 2
RE: How best to tackle Civil War? - 18/7/2012 1:08:25 PM   
kata

Is it worth the effort?

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 3
RE: How best to tackle Civil War? - 18/7/2012 1:15:10 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Mild post Civil War spoiler ahead.

I didn't mind Civil War personally although I think the repercussions of it have been more effective than the storyline itself. Thor kicking the shit out of Iron Man and letting him know there was more to come in Straczynski's Thor Volume 1 is the single best thing to come out of it IMO.

I like Iron Man and everything but for me that was a proper fuck yeah moment because I doubt I would have sided with him in Civil War if it wasn't for the fact he was opposing Captain America, his methods were a bit on the extreme side.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 4
RE: How best to tackle Civil War? - 18/7/2012 1:20:19 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Mild post Civil War spoiler ahead.

I didn't mind Civil War personally although I think the repercussions of it have been more effective than the storyline itself. Thor kicking the shit out of Iron Man and letting him know there was more to come in Straczynski's Thor Volume 1 is the single best thing to come out of it IMO.

I like Iron Man and everything but for me that was a proper fuck yeah moment because I doubt I would have sided with him in Civil War if it wasn't for the fact he was opposing Captain America, his methods were a bit on the extreme side.

Ah man! I love that moment! Stark get's his Iron ass handed to him on a plate by Thor!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 5
RE: How best to tackle Civil War? - 18/7/2012 1:25:12 PM   
sharkboy

All joking aside, it probably is worth the effort.  It's just that the ending was decidedly anti-climactic IMO.  Although there were plenty of moments during the journey that almost made up for it (Thor?  Is that you?...), and Steve McNiven's art in the main title was rather nice.  The various tie-ins were, as usual, of varying quality.  And it probably is worth it if only to give a better insight into the post-CW Marvel universe

So, yeah, go for it!

EDIT - and got to agree with Harry and Nexus, the first meeting between Iron Man and the recently-returned Thor is probably the finest CW-related moment of all the titles   I suppose Capt America's post-War fate probably had the biggest ramifications on the Marvelverse though.

< Message edited by sharkboy -- 18/7/2012 1:28:35 PM >

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 6
RE: How best to tackle Civil War? - 18/7/2012 1:33:51 PM   
SWOTBM

I don't get all the hate Iron Man and the Pro-Reg side got. Partly because Iron Man is my favourite Marvel character and partly because if you take the Anti-Reg position to its logical extreme you end up with a situation similar to Kingdom Come.

I thought the Iron Man and FF tie-ins were very good. Spiderman one kinda had to be read to make sense of the main story. Personally I thought the Annihilation series, published around the same time, was much more interesting.

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 7
RE: How best to tackle Civil War? - 18/7/2012 1:48:52 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

I don't get all the hate Iron Man and the Pro-Reg side got. Partly because Iron Man is my favourite Marvel character and partly because if you take the Anti-Reg position to its logical extreme you end up with a situation similar to Kingdom Come.

I thought the Iron Man and FF tie-ins were very good. Spiderman one kinda had to be read to make sense of the main story. Personally I thought the Annihilation series, published around the same time, was much more interesting.

MILD CW SPOILERS

Iron Man is one of my fave characters as well and I was in the pro registration camp myself right up until he started cloning dead heroes (who went on to do some fucked up things) and sending non compliant heroes to the Negative Zone indefinitely.

I was still pro reg despite this but only because I wanted to be on the opposing side to Captain America.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 18/7/2012 1:52:49 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 8
RE: How best to tackle Civil War? - 18/7/2012 1:55:31 PM   
sharkboy

Well, I think we'll agree to differ about Kingdom Come (personally I thought it's more a pro-reg future - Batman running official teams, Supes disillusioned with the young and reckless "heroes" (Thunderbolts anyone?) and withdrawn from the hero business...), but I do agree that Iron Man tended to get the shit end of the stick for his pro-reg stance.  I've mentioned it elsewhere, but check out one of the panels in the pre-CW arc in which he went to Washington with Spidey. He looks at Lincoln's statue and ponders that Abe's abolition of slavery led the country into a Civil War that he knew he could prevent but that as a result of it the nation was a better place.  I do think that Iron Man had the best of intentions, but by the time he saw where it was going with the Initiative and the nanite-controlled villains, he was in too deep.

If you want to see the real scumbags of the civil war, look to the other Marvel scientists, Richards and Pym.  Richards in particular, who not only had a hand in the Thor incident, but created the superhero equivalent of Abu Ghraib to detain the anti-reg heroes.  And all because his hippy uncle had the audacity to try and stick it to the man, falling foul of the HUAC in the process and shaming the family.  At least Pym can claim to have literally been "not himself" for the duration of the event

WWLD?

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 9
RE: How best to tackle Civil War? - 18/7/2012 1:57:37 PM   
SWOTBM

MILD SPOILERS FOR CIVIL WAR

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

MILD CW SPOILERS

Iron Man is one of my fave characters as well and I was in the pro registration camp myself right up until he started cloning dead heroes (who went on to do some fucked up things) and sending non compliant heroes to the Negative Zone indefinitely.

Agree with you on the former, but with the latter what other options could they do? If they don't obey the law then they have to be punished, otherwise what the hell is the point of having the law in the first place. Negative zone may seem extreme, but what other options are there? IIRC they were only held for as long as they remained non-compliant. Seems fair to me.

Post #: 10
RE: How best to tackle Civil War? - 18/7/2012 2:01:00 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Well, I think we'll agree to differ about Kingdom Come (personally I thought it's more a pro-reg future - Batman running official teams, Supes disillusioned with the young and reckless "heroes" (Thunderbolts anyone?) and withdrawn from the hero business...), but I do agree that Iron Man tended to get the shit end of the stick for his pro-reg stance.  I've mentioned it elsewhere, but check out one of the panels in the pre-CW arc in which he went to Washington with Spidey. He looks at Lincoln's statue and ponders that Abe's abolition of slavery led the country into a Civil War that he knew he could prevent but that as a result of it the nation was a better place.  I do think that Iron Man had the best of intentions, but by the time he saw where it was going with the Initiative and the nanite-controlled villains, he was in too deep.

The point I was trying to make about Kingdom Come is that humanity is scared shitless of ''heroes'' who pay no attention to the people they are trying to protect. The anti-reg stance is not that far away from that situation imo.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 11
RE: How best to tackle Civil War? - 18/7/2012 2:26:18 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

If you want to see the real scumbags of the civil war, look to the other Marvel scientists, Richards and Pym.  Richards in particular, who not only had a hand in the Thor incident, but created the superhero equivalent of Abu Ghraib to detain the anti-reg heroes.  And all because his hippy uncle had the audacity to try and stick it to the man, falling foul of the HUAC in the process and shaming the family.  At least Pym can claim to have literally been "not himself" for the duration of the event

Yeah totally agree with this although re: Richards wasn't it later shown that RR had forseen the death of billions if the act wasn't passed. Something to do with some psychohistory gubbins he'd invented. I'm not really much of a FF reader so I'm not really sure. I only know this because somebody used it as a counter argument with me on another forum a while back.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 12
RE: How best to tackle Civil War? - 19/7/2012 2:21:42 PM   
britesparc

My problem with it (and I admit I'm far more of a DC fan) is that, realistically speaking, we'd all be pro-reg. So in order to make Cap not seem like a massive bell-end, they went out of their way to turn the pro-reg side into zombie-building dictators. So it essentially boiled down to fascism versus anarchy. I just don't think, even with my relatively limited knowledge of Marvel continuity, that the main characters really acted all that believably.

Also, it led directly to the truly awful One More Day.

< Message edited by britesparc -- 19/7/2012 2:22:35 PM >

You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

Post #: 13
RE: How best to tackle Civil War? - 26/8/2012 7:12:32 PM   
ChickMagnet

This may not be the logical thread to post this in but I'll give it a go, as someone who enjoyed the main Civil War story where would you guys suggest I go next, I went to my local comics store today, ummed and ahhed and walked away from the Marvel shelves a bit disappointed.

(in reply to britesparc)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> How best to tackle Civil War? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI