Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Nicolas Winding Refn

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> Nicolas Winding Refn Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Nicolas Winding Refn - 17/7/2012 8:51:12 AM   
TragicRomantic

3 films,3 homeruns( er film-wise!).
Really exciting character-focused director who strips cinema to its purest artform.
Such attention to detail,yet never feels manufactured.

Life,love and film-enjoy all like fine wine
Silence the doubters
Embrace the lovers
Ignore the haters
Post #: 1
RE: Nicolas Winding Refn - 17/7/2012 9:37:19 AM   
Harry Tuttle

Er, it's 8 films.

He'd already done 5 films before he made Bronson (6 if you include a TV movie).

I've not seen Bleeder or Fear X but the Pusher trilogy is brilliant.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to TragicRomantic)
Post #: 2
RE: Nicolas Winding Refn - 20/7/2012 2:09:05 PM   
Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

ORIGINAL: TragicRomantic

3 films,3 homeruns( er film-wise!).
Really exciting character-focused director who strips cinema to its purest artform.
Such attention to detail,yet never feels manufactured.

Love his work but would have to strongly disagree with your reasoning. Bronson was pure theatre. It wouldn't have been out of place on a stage. Which is the very antithesis of cinema at its purest. I also find his reliance on gratuitous violence more than a little gimmicky and almost childish - like the great writer knows what lines to leave out, the great director knows what moments to leave to the audience's imagination. That said, I love his work, but he's still learning his craft and he can only get better. Looking forward to the potential Drive 2.

Post #: 3
RE: Nicolas Winding Refn - 20/7/2012 5:21:02 PM   
Spaldron

I've only seen his recent English language films (Bronson, Valhalla Rising, Drive) and they're all superb films of the highest order, especially Drive which is a masterpiece. Looking forward to Only God Forgives.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Prophet_of_Doom)
Post #: 4
RE: Nicolas Winding Refn - 23/7/2012 4:10:14 PM   
st3veebee

Have only seen 3 so here goes:

Bronson: Great soundtrack and stunning performance from Hardy. Great film 4/5

Valhalla Rising: Just didn't do it for me at all. Bored me stupid and I'm a big Maads fan. 2/5

Drive: His masterpiece. Gosling is the coolest character since Tyler Durden. That soundtrack.....

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 5
RE: Nicolas Winding Refn - 13/10/2012 1:35:56 PM   
Coyleone

He's amazing, and the most exciting director working today imo.

Pusher is a really great, gritty and realistic crime movie, and it's amazing to see his progress since making this. It's simple with an almost documentary style, and seeing him evolve from that to the uber stylized films such as Bronson and Drive is amazing (I haven't actually seen Bleeder or Fear X). His english language films are all amazingly edited and framed, every shot looks beautiful. His use of violence is incredibly effective, he just knows how and when to use it to generate a reaction, and it never feels out of place. His use of music is also brilliant in everything I've seen. Amazing talent that seems to just be getting better.

Bronson is a great character study with a powerhouse performance from Hardy. Valhalla Rising is great, it's slow paced and I can see it being pretty divisive, but I loved it, and again it looks beautiful in every shot and the use of violence and music to build up tension or atmosphere is only surpassed by Drive, which is a masterpiece and one of my favourite films ever. Only God Forgives is my most anticipated movie for quite a long time.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 6
RE: Nicolas Winding Refn - 15/10/2012 12:43:43 AM   
ElephantBoy

Have seen:

Bleeder: very powerful and love the reference to Wild at Heart.

Bronson: Which was very much style of substence and I felt it only showed one side to the lead character, Hardy at times was a bit too hammy.

Drive: In my top three films of last year, it just gets better every time I see it. Gosling's is one of the best performances of last year too.

Want to see more of his work, think I will check out the Pusher series but leave the remake.

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 7
RE: Nicolas Winding Refn - 21/3/2013 1:30:41 PM   
Mr Gittes

Have only seen Bronson and Drive. The former is one of the movies that instantly springs to mind whenever I hear the term "style over substance". However, I did think that Drive was a masterpiece and I'm looking forward to his next film.

I wouldn't call him a great director yet, because my personal rule is to wait until a director has made at least three great movies before giving them that title. You may think that's a stupid rule and sometimes I agree - for instance, I'm just itching to award Bryan Singer that title but so far in his career, The Usual Suspects and X2 are his only great movies in my opinion.

I know, I've not seen all of Refn's movies so he could be what I'd call a great director and I just haven't seen the other two gems yet but regardless I have little doubt that there are more great things to come.

Post #: 8
RE: Nicolas Winding Refn - 21/3/2013 4:16:54 PM   
Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Coyleone

Pusher is a really great, gritty and realistic crime movie, and it's amazing to see his progress since making this. It's simple with an almost documentary style, and seeing him evolve from that to the uber stylized films such as Bronson and Drive is amazing (I haven't actually seen Bleeder or Fear X). His english language films are all amazingly edited and framed, every shot looks beautiful. His use of violence is incredibly effective, he just knows how and when to use it to generate a reaction, and it never feels out of place. His use of music is also brilliant in everything I've seen. Amazing talent that seems to just be getting better.

Bronson is a great character study with a powerhouse performance from Hardy. Valhalla Rising is great, it's slow paced and I can see it being pretty divisive, but I loved it, and again it looks beautiful in every shot and the use of violence and music to build up tension or atmosphere is only surpassed by Drive, which is a masterpiece and one of my favourite films ever. Only God Forgives is my most anticipated movie for quite a long time.

This is the only bit I'd disagree with. In both Drive and Valhalla I thought the violence was completely out of place and bordering on the cartoonish. I completely understood the reasoning behind it, but to me (and of course, it's all about personal preference) it felt almost college studentish. In the way that so many graduates seem to make a horror movie for their first film (cheap and easy I suspect with a guaranteed audience) and invariably the intention is to have as many ridiculous gross-out moments as possible for no other reason than they can. But just because you can, doesn't mean you should - and I think this is what Refn needs to learn. I can't remember the last time I have been so drawn into a film as Drive (and I was watching it, while working on a deadline at 3am!) but the moment 'that scene' took place, I was just taken completely out of the film and actually just wanted to rewind and see how they had done it. In the same way as when you're watching the famous leg-crossing scene in Basic Instinct, you're not drawn into Catherine Tramell's world, you just think "hey, can I see Sharon Stone's moo, moo?" before rewinding to check!

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 9
RE: Nicolas Winding Refn - 21/3/2013 8:38:47 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Gittes

Have only seen Bronson and Drive. The former is one of the movies that instantly springs to mind whenever I hear the term "style over substance". However, I did think that Drive was a masterpiece and I'm looking forward to his next film.

I wouldn't call him a great director yet, because my personal rule is to wait until a director has made at least three great movies before giving them that title. You may think that's a stupid rule and sometimes I agree - for instance, I'm just itching to award Bryan Singer that title but so far in his career, The Usual Suspects and X2 are his only great movies in my opinion.

I know, I've not seen all of Refn's movies so he could be what I'd call a great director and I just haven't seen the other two gems yet but regardless I have little doubt that there are more great things to come.

Pretty spot on post and you make a good point about Singer because based on Suspects he really could have been someone, but his career since has been a very hit and miss.

I see Refn as a solid filmmaker, capable of very good things (as Drive proved), he has a decent style of his own, but needs to devolp the character and story sides of his films and make more films like Drive if he is going to be great.

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 10
RE: Nicolas Winding Refn - 21/3/2013 8:42:00 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Coyleone

This is the only bit I'd disagree with. In both Drive and Valhalla I thought the violence was completely out of place and bordering on the cartoonish. I completely understood the reasoning behind it, but to me (and of course, it's all about personal preference) it felt almost college studentish. In the way that so many graduates seem to make a horror movie for their first film (cheap and easy I suspect with a guaranteed audience) and invariably the intention is to have as many ridiculous gross-out moments as possible for no other reason than they can. But just because you can, doesn't mean you should - and I think this is what Refn needs to learn. I can't remember the last time I have been so drawn into a film as Drive (and I was watching it, while working on a deadline at 3am!) but the moment 'that scene' took place, I was just taken completely out of the film and actually just wanted to rewind and see how they had done it. In the same way as when you're watching the famous leg-crossing scene in Basic Instinct, you're not drawn into Catherine Tramell's world, you just think "hey, can I see Sharon Stone's moo, moo?" before rewinding to check!

I found the violence in Drive very shocking, which was the point, and felt it came out of nowhere because it was showing the Gosling character as like a machine who could suddenly turn when things got desprate.

Post #: 11
RE: Nicolas Winding Refn - 26/3/2013 10:28:03 PM   
Mister Coe

Did I dream this or did he say he was really up for doing an episode of DOCTOR WHO but was rejected?

I truly, genuinely think I read this somewhere.

Say what now?

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 12
RE: Nicolas Winding Refn - 26/3/2013 10:43:59 PM   
Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

Did I dream this or did he say he was really up for doing an episode of DOCTOR WHO but was rejected?

I truly, genuinely think I read this somewhere.

No, I remember reading that too ... he's a bit of a Doctor Who nerd and asked if he could direct an episode.

It would be the only episode of Dr Who I'd ever watch.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 13
RE: Nicolas Winding Refn - 13/5/2013 3:26:08 PM   
ghost dog

Only God Forgives is easily the film I am most excited about this year.

Cannot wait for it.

"Oh, please, tell me Elizabeth, how exactly does one suck a fuck?"

Post #: 14
RE: Nicolas Winding Refn - 13/5/2013 8:44:45 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: ghost dog

Only God Forgives is easily the film I am most excited about this year.

Cannot wait for it.

Ditto, mate.

Say what now?

(in reply to ghost dog)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> Nicolas Winding Refn Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI