Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Dark Knight Rises

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Dark Knight Rises Page: <<   < prev  82 83 84 [85] 86   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Dark Knight Rises - 20/9/2012 1:05:24 PM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Omtomramoa

No way this is a 5 star movie. I was disappointed. This was like a couple of episodes of 24.

Which episodes...?

Presumably the one where Jack Bauer flies a nuke out of Los Angeles which explodes over the sea somewhere (all in the space of 45 minutes, without going for a pee or eating ).. must have been in series one to three becasue I think I stopped watching around then.....

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 2521
RE: Nolan's stale garbage - 20/9/2012 9:35:10 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

I've not seen Dredd but surely you can compare the quality of the action scenes if nothing else

TDKR and Dredd are two completely different types of films and i wouldnt compare them.One is a huge budget epic scale superhero movie with a 12 cert, the other is a hard 18 rated low(ish) budget british independant film.

The only thing they have in common is that they are both based on comic books.I loved both films though for different reasons.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 2522
RE: TDKR - 17/11/2012 2:40:59 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Have yet to see it but Nolans Batman films have never really been about Batman.
Its always been more involved with Bruce and Gotham,which is why I really like them.
Post #: 2523
RE: TDKR - 18/11/2012 6:56:07 PM   
Phubbs

SPOILER WARNING!

The Dark Knight Rises

I will admit deep down I have always preferred the Burton Batman's I cannot lie. I think there are two camps for the Batman films and like marmite you either like or dislike them. Lets step into the Nolan universe one last time then shall we...supposedly.

So the film continues on from the previous two films and continuity wise its very well done. Everything and everyone is back in the places they should be ready to follow through on this epic portrayal of the Batman. Problems arise as we delve deeper into the story and the main villain 'Bane' begins to cause problems for our hero.

Of course being a comicbook adaptation you can't expect the film to be totally serious or sensible, there will always be elements of fantasy. The problem with this franchise is its made out to be a serious thriller type, the well used 'Heat with Batman' phrase springs to mind. Thusly the comicbook element has been somewhat drained away, yes it has, you can't really have it both ways folks and this third installment stalls trying to incorporate both sides. Make your mind up Nolan.

I'm gonna be harsh as such a ridiculously high level was expected with this film there seems no other way to bring it down to earth. Plot holes? yes, the plot isn't anything particularly original and its skips around like crazy. 'Bane' breaks Batman's back, OK, yet he then drags him to a prison somewhere in the middle of nowhere and leaves him to recover, what? why not just kill the guy and then you've won you silly villain. While I'm here, where was this prison exactly? a desert? the Middle East?? huh?.

Upon this we then have the rather daft notion that 'Wayne' then recovers from this horrendous injury merely by doing lots of push ups, sit ups and chin ups...oh after he was strung up with rope for god knows how long, eh?.

Once 'Wayne' is back to full fitness he manages to escape the inescapable prison naturally, but then hold on, one minute he's in the outback somewhere, next scene he's back in Gotham?. On top of that how did he get back into Gotham seeing as its locked down and cut off?.

Carrying on with 'Bane' his voice, I'm sorry but it just sounded hilariously stupid to me, like something from an old Peter Cushing Hammer Horror. I realise it wasn't suppose to be overly intimidating or forced like Bale's god awful Batman voice but come on! it was like some kind of chirpy English sort from 'My Fair Lady' haha. Add to that the curious design for his face mask which still kinda looks like a dog muzzle made in a school metalwork class.

As for the other anti hero character in 'Catwoman' I'm split. I still hold firm on the bad casting choice for this character as Hathaway looks far too weak and princess-like to be able to hold her own. The outfit was a hot potato and although in motion it didn't look too bad the entire idea that she is a top catburglar yet runs around basically showing off her whole head and face is so stupid. Surely this concept meant that 'Catwoman' required her much loved hood for cover? you'd think it would be a good move for identity secrecy. In dialog Hathaway performed well with her devious slinky ass but in action she simply didn't look right, as suspected.

To be quite frank the whole film was quite average really. The effects weren't anything to shout about like the ropey CGI football field explosion, the jerky rubbery Batbike thing and oddly shaped Batwing thing. Also the film did seem somewhat watered down this time also. I know death has not been shown in full glory in any of the films but even more so here, complete cut aways in some places, very childish for a hard edged approach.

We all knew from the outset that Batman was gonna get his arse kicked, what we didn't know was how it might all end. To be brutally honest the whole thing was very lackluster and seemed to even pinch a plot idea from the original 1966 caper with Adam West!. I am referring to the finale where Batman must make a decision to save Gotham City from the mighty bomb. Gee errr just fly away with it Batman?.

This film has shown how good the previous two films are for me, and I'm not the biggest fan of the second. It just seems as though this film ran out of steam, baddie character choices and eye popping set pieces. 'Banes' death was way way too weak for such a big presence, the 'Scarecrow' cameo felt unnecessary or crowbarred in for no reason, the 'Blake' character was always the obvious new 'Boy Wonder/Batman' type right from the get go and pretty much everything tied up very predictably right down to the fact that 'Wayne' appears to have survived after all, bless.

If you enjoyed the previous films then I'm sure you will carry on enjoying this final adventure, if not then you won't think much of this. It does come down to whether you prefer the fantasy aspect of Batman which is gloriously shown in the Burton films if somewhat over done at times, or you prefer the grounded, hard serious approach by the Nolan trilogy.

Visually dynamic (accept for the awful camo coloured tumblers), bold, flashy and with a great stellar cast but ultimately overrated and it still just doesn't feel like a Batman film. Cliched maybe but I just wish there was a little more dark goth involved in these films and less cop drama.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 2524
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 23/11/2012 8:29:51 AM   
xcoser123

If you watch the Batman The Dark Knight Rises movie, maybe you will remember Bane. He is a big bad man, but very strong. I really appreciate him and like his mask. The question is how do I get his mask. Can you help me?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2525
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 23/11/2012 9:39:12 AM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beetlejuice!
P.S. I do think the film should have acknowledged the Joker in some way because every other previous character from the series seems to get mentioned.

No, I agree with Nolan on this one, when he said the film shouldn't have to account for a real-life tragedy with the passing of Heath Ledger. The other characters were acknowledged because they were relevant to the plot of TDKR, the Joker wasn't. He was just a tornado that tore through Gotham, he served his purpose in the last film. Plus it would trivialise his death by just explaining his absence with a throwaway line, not really fitting for the guy. However, in the official novelisation for the film, it does state the following:

Now that the Dent Act had made it all but impossible for the city’s criminals to cop an insanity plea, it (Blackgate Prison) had replaced Arkham Asylum as a preferred location for imprisoning both convicted and suspected felons. The worst of the worst were sent here, except for the Joker, who, rumor had it, was locked away as Arkham’s sole remaining inmate. Or perhaps he had escaped. Nobody was really sure. Not even Selina.

Good to see some heavy duty flirting in the review thread heh.

Also, the things the Joker did DO affect events in the movie, so even without a namecheck, he has a 'presence' in the form of the consequences of his actions. You could even say that the 'lording it over people' and 'aristocratic' persona/voice of Bane is the fruition of 'Gotham deserves a better class of criminal. And i'm going to give it to them' at least in the form of his example (via demonstrating how fragile the bonds of soiciety can be) being the inspiration for the villain plot plot of TDKR. Anyway, re the Joker:

The death of Rachel left Bruce Wayne an utterly broken man, with nothing to live for once his retiring of Batman to counteract the actions of the Joker has happened. And after Bruce is imprisoned, if the plan to destroy Gotham succeeds, he will have to go on living believing that he has failed once again to save a woman he got close to, because as far as he is concerned, 'Miranda' would have died and he would have failed her (Talia would never have revealed herself to Bruce, and her plan, to die in the destruction of Gotham, would have hit Bruce once again with the kind of loss that hurt him most, she would, in terms of the plan, have given him hope, in order to take it away forever, using the consequences of the actions of the Joker to hurt Bruce anew, and again, every day for the rest of his life).

Batman and Gordon left The Joker to one side when going after the mob with disastrous effects for Gotham in TDK. In TDKR the memory of not acting upon something immediately and reaping serious consequences for it is, I suggest why Gordon (who hates himself for not saving Dent, for failing his city, and for his family ending up in danger, a family who have now left him) sends absolutely everybody he can in to try and take out the army he discovers under Gotham. He knows what one man was able to do, and he has to do what he can, with what he has, which in itself is a subtle call back to his words in TDK.

Well, I could go on, but suffice to say, the 'rotten' souls of Bruce and Gordon eaten away by their actions to save Gotham from the actions of the Joker are a direct consequence of what the Joker did, and the psychological torture of Gotham by Bane is an escalation of the Joker playing mind games with the city. What was the actions of a joker, adopted and writ larger because the Joker just wants to see what happens as a result of his actions, to 'toy with you, to enjoy having power over you before doing what I intend to do anyway, which is destroy you, when I'm done amusing myself with you'. Which is effectively, albeit more randomly applied by the Joker, what Bane does. So the influence and spirit of the Joker hangs over everything.

The second film utterly, totally defines the situation of the third. In the second the actions of the Joker spiral out beyond him to shake the city to its core. And the example provided by the joker creates the cause and effect chain that leads to the plan enacted by the LOS. Which honours the role of the Joker in TDK, and the performance of Heath Ledger in the role, and the iconography of the psychology of the Joker much more completely and respectfully than practically any other way of doing it, because the shadow of the actions of the joker is cast over TDKR from the very start. And it is this shadow, the shadows of his past and the League of Shadows, from which Bruce Wayne eventually manages to escape.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 23/11/2012 12:05:14 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 2526
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 23/11/2012 12:29:12 PM   
manwihtheplan

Having recently seen the film for the first time....

Anyone else think the title

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

is referring to Blake (Robin) rather than Bruce Wayne (Batman)?

SPOILER (please drag mouse over text to reveal content)

The final shot of the film - Blake inside Batman's lair and the platform rising - would seem to be a visual analogy for the Dark Knight rising. Although Blake is set to become Robin rather than becoming the new Batman you get the sense Chris Nolan was ending the film with the possibility his version of Batman will 'rise again' with Robin as his assistant. There's little doubt in my mind the final shot was meant to reaffirm the meaning of the film's title. Nice visual touch, I thought.

< Message edited by manwihtheplan -- 23/11/2012 12:40:55 PM >

Post #: 2527
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 23/11/2012 12:33:51 PM   
Deviation

The chant DESHI BASARA DESHI DESHI BASARA was primarily aimed at Bruce though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to manwihtheplan)
Post #: 2528
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 23/11/2012 12:34:49 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: manwihtheplan

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

I think the gun barrel should have been at the beginning.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 2529
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 23/11/2012 12:43:25 PM   
manwihtheplan

Can't have a Bond film without the gun barrel at the start!

Off-topic (ish):

quote:

Dredd a hard 18 rated low(ish) budget british independent film.

Dredd was financed by Indian money - Reliance Entertainment. It's not much of a British film in terms of actual funding. Speaking of Judge Dredd, American comics publisher, IDW, has launched a new Judge Dredd comic. Came out this week.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 2530
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 23/11/2012 3:24:05 PM   
sauchieboy

quote:

Off-topic (ish): Dredd was financed by Indian money - Reliance Entertainment. It's not much of a British film in terms of actual funding. Speaking of Judge Dredd, American comics publisher, IDW, has launched a new Judge Dredd comic. Came out this week.

Ish? Dredd was made with Indian finance and a largely South African crew; its producers, screenwriter and director are all distinctly British - yet the source material was created by a Scots/American and a Spaniard. Brit director Chris Nolan's Bat films are staffed largely by Brits and are shot partly in the UK, but are adapting US-created material for a US studio - though where that studio raises its finance from is another matter.

Determining a film's country of origin doesn't lend itself to simplistic explanations or generalisations.

Post #: 2531
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 23/11/2012 5:26:48 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

SPOILER (please drag mouse over text to reveal content)

The final shot of the film - Blake inside Batman's lair and the platform rising - would seem to be a visual analogy for the Dark Knight rising. Although Blake is set to become Robin rather than becoming the new Batman you get the sense Chris Nolan was ending the film with the possibility his version of Batman will 'rise again' with Robin as his assistant. There's little doubt in my mind the final shot was meant to reaffirm the meaning of the film's title. Nice visual touch, I thought.

I just figured the name the Dark Knight referred to the symbol, as opposed to the specific wearer of the costume. Ergo it refers to both. And neither. I think that Nolan purposefully associates it with a number of images throughout, with the most obvious two being Bruce rising from the pit and Blake at the end. It's a recurrent theme tho.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 23/11/2012 5:27:25 PM >

Post #: 2532
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/11/2012 11:08:38 PM   
Rgirvan44

The Dark Knight Rises is the title cause The Dark Knight Returns was not avaliable.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 2533
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 27/11/2012 8:54:20 AM   
jobloffski

"The Dark Knight Rises is the title cause The Dark Knight Returns was not avaliable."

And because it is a loose version of Returns mixed with Knightfall, so the Dark Knight Rises (Returns) after falling?

The Dark Knight also rises to become more than Wayne's personal mission, it becomes the everlasting symbol of protection for Gotham Bruce originally set out to create in BB, and if Gotham needs Batman again, JGL's character only has to put on the costume, and The Dark Knight Rises 'from the grave' in gotham's hour of need, making him, as far as potential crims are concerned a terrible thought, a wraith, an idea...

Cleverly, Nolan took the story from the point of Rachel believing Bruce would always need Batman to a situation where Batman no longer needs Bruce Wayne, having become more than just a man, risen to the level of legend, allowing Bruce to let go because Gotham no longer needs him, and he has finished the work his father started, to bring Gotham from despair to hope. Even more cleverly, the ending also leaves the door open for an actual version of The Dark Knight Returns, because if someone DID take up the mantle and behave in a crazy way, Bale's by then much older Batman could return to stop him, with the flowing thematically and in terms of continuity from what Nolan has already done, which in terms of fulfilling both the comic book AND the Hero-Myth symbolism is already verging on genius.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 27/11/2012 8:58:23 AM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 2534
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 27/11/2012 4:29:05 PM   
sanchia

I finally managed to get around to seeing it. An enjoyable film although a little patchy. It appeared take combination of Knightfall and The Cult comics as inspiration. Overall a decent conclusion to the trilogy.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 2535
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 28/11/2012 10:31:35 PM   
manwihtheplan

Anyone notice how Bane and his crew leave the stock exchange in the daylight but a few mins later Batman gives chase through the tunnel and it's night time. In Gotham City dusk lasts about two mins.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 2536
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 4/1/2013 2:37:29 PM   
discodave101

Finally saw it. What a mess of plot holes (that I won't go over). The film felt so rushed in its editing too. No scenes had any room to breathe! All the character monologues (alfreds in particular) felt unbelievably forced and the score, whilst brilliant in the Dark Knight, was just too overbearing in this film. However, I loved Bane...I loved Catwoman...and I loved notRobin. The twists were also very good I have to say. The worst element has to be Matthew Modine's 2D kids comic bumbling Police Officer. Disastrously stupid character designed to explain the stupid decisions he made to allow the plot to make sense.

Anyway - nice to know that, rather than immediately help save the people of Gotham who were all suffering, Bruce Wayne decided to climb to the top of the bridge on his "miraculous" return from the "inescapable" prison with a "broken back" and set up a nice "Batman" logo in petroleum at the top, still "completely unseen" by everyone. (don't take this last sentence too seriously please - my tongue is firmly in my cheek).

Not a patch on The Dark Knight, which towers above this disappointment. This is one of those films that gets worse the more you play it back in your mind. I fear, as usual, its the critical over-hype that has increased my disappointment in this film. 5 stars.....MY ARSE!

"Softly softly, catchy monkey"

"I didn't know you spoke spanish"

Post #: 2537
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 5/1/2013 1:24:30 PM   
OpinionatedMovieGoer

The Dark Knight Rises is one of the best films I have ever seen and concludes one of the best trilogies (if not the best) I have ever seen. It's an emotional film. The amount of emotions this film can make someone feel is phenomenal. I laughed, was scared and even almost cried (which is rare for me with films...manly, I know). It brings the best of the franchise to the point I even forgot this was a comic book film at times. Three for three, Nolan. Good job. If you haven't seen this one, watch it ASAP because it is unmissable. I doubt we'll ever get a movie experience like this in our life time again.

I think I got very fanboyish and I may be bowing down to Nolan but that is honestly how I feel. Those who saw it first on DVD are missing the experience on the big screen.

Want to read some film reviews every other day? Why not check out my review site http://opinionmoviegoer.blogspot.co.uk/. Yes, this is a shameless plug.

(in reply to discodave101)
Post #: 2538
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 5/1/2013 3:37:12 PM   
chris kilby

The TDKR Review Thread Rises.

(It's the thread that keeps on giving. Maybe we can get this sucker up to 100 pages after all. Now about those plot holes again...)

(in reply to OpinionatedMovieGoer)
Post #: 2539
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 5/1/2013 3:39:09 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

Anyone notice how Bane and his crew leave the stock exchange in the daylight but a few mins later Batman gives chase through the tunnel and it's night time. In Gotham City dusk lasts about two mins.

No, funnily enough. No-one else mentioned it. Care to elaborate...?

Post #: 2540
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 5/1/2013 3:43:02 PM   
chris kilby

Of course I'm still waiting for an explanation of Commissioner Gordon's dry cleaning bills and Bruce Wayne's travel arrangements. Just don't anyone mention cops down the sewers. Not to Cerebusboy, certainly...

Post #: 2541
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 6/1/2013 3:25:48 AM   
Hood_Man

quote:

Of course I'm still waiting for an explanation of Commissioner Gordon's dry cleaning bills and Bruce Wayne's travel arrangements. Just don't anyone mention cops down the sewers. Not to Cerebusboy, certainly...

The answer to all three is Gotham City Corruption.

Post #: 2542
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 6/1/2013 2:24:04 PM   
Lisamoviegeek

A fantastic ending to the trilogy! I loved the twists.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 2543
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 7/1/2013 1:06:42 AM   
chris kilby

You say "twists," I say "plot holes." Let's call the whole thing off!

(in reply to Lisamoviegeek)
Post #: 2544
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 15/1/2013 1:38:36 PM   
Moorish

Saw this last night for the first time on Blu Ray. had its moments. I wasn't bored, put it that way. Just not my kind of film to get absorbed into I guess. Much more of a Fargo chap.

Still, Blu Ray...

Post #: 2545
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 18/1/2013 4:54:17 PM   
Porrohman

quote:

quote:

Nope!, never ever been mentioned ever ever ever before ever!!

I'd like to know how bruce got from wollaton hall in nottingham to gotham so quick! bloody stupid i tell thee.

Post #: 2546
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 18/1/2013 5:59:56 PM   
Phubbs

The bottom line...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQJuGeqdbn4

< Message edited by Phubbs -- 18/1/2013 6:00:39 PM >

(in reply to Porrohman)
Post #: 2547
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 19/1/2013 2:33:39 PM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Porrohman

quote:

quote:

Nope!, never ever been mentioned ever ever ever before ever!!

I'd like to know how bruce got from wollaton hall in nottingham to gotham so quick! bloody stupid i tell thee.

I love re-runs so regarding things 'never mentioned before' ahem...

According to the film, it took him a month,to get back to Gotham so not so quick after all. And before becoming Batman he spent 7 years learning how to steal enough in order to get around and not starve, with nothing but his own will and ingenuity (Pre batman, he was robbing, heh!) so the how of getting back isn't even worth screen time at all..

How did he get into Gptham? Through secret tunnels mentioned in the first film leading to Wayne Manor. Why did he spend time making the fire Bat Symbol? Because, FFS, he's Batman and that's, like, a symbol saying I'm Back, your plan is falling apart and simultaneously, to rally Gotham behind him. Theatricality to affect the minds of those he is there to fight, to make him more than a man in the mind of his opponents. Nothing that the films don't set up very specifically. The symbol is the man being more than a man, an indestructible idea. And telling all at once with the bat symbol in fire is quicker than a door knocking or mailshot campaign

Further Re-runs include 'How does 'Robin .' know exactly which sewer outlet to run towards to find Gordon even though the baddie days there's no way of knowing where he wiill wash out of the sewers?' Because when 'Robin is previously told, and us too,that thebodies of homeless homeless people, several times a month, are found outside one specific sewer outlet.

Why give Bruce a big TV to watch Gotham suffer and be destroyed with him looking on crippled and helpless? Clue's in the question Batfans

What's the difference between a film actually being illogical bullshit and employing storytelling contrivances to make the specficpoints the film sets out to make, regardless of whether people who don't like the film actually pay enough attention to what is in it to make the connections the film nudges towards without absolutely ramming anything but the absolute necessary points down your throat? Michael Bay?

The film reveals new little touches every time, including...after Batman re-enters the fray the last baddie he punches out, he punches him in the visor of the helmet protecting his face, breaking that which is designed to protect. What happens to him, then later what he does to Bane, writ small. as one of the small brush strokes that make up the bigger picture.

And so the cosmic ballet spin around of, 'it's shit...no it's genius within genre constraints' goes on....

The 'Honest Trailer' is very funny, but it is being very contrary for the sake of it, possibly to enrage those who cant take a film they like being parodied, or make people who don't like the film feel cool, all in the name of making money for the clicks it gets, ie, that particular bottom line is what matters to the makers of the Honest Trailers

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 19/1/2013 4:08:58 PM >

(in reply to Porrohman)
Post #: 2548
The threequel curse is lifted! - 5/2/2013 11:01:30 PM   
Mr Gittes

It's not an easy task reviewing a movie that has split so many fans without receiving backlash, so I'll remind those who are reading this that film is a subjective medium and this is just my opinion. I do not fall into the group of people who condemn this movie in every way nor am I one of those fans who consider it flawless.

First off, unlike many people, I had low expectations for The Dark Knight Rises. Don't get me wrong, I loved Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Maybe it was the superhero threequel curse that the title of my review refers to or maybe I simply thought there was nowhere else to take the Batman legend on the big screen. So, to say I was pleasantly surprised is a bit of an understatement. As a matter of fact I was so overjoyed I actually jumped in the air like Sailor in Wild At Heart after leaving the screening room.

Yeah, there are plot holes (I'll get onto those in a later post) and (SPOILER ALERT!) I'm not a huge fan of the Talia Al Ghul stuff. That's not to say I hated it, I just didn't love it like I did the rest of the movie. Actually when watching it for the second time, at that point I was thinking "This is one of those movies where the third act doesn't live up to the first two." But then the final 10 minutes completely made up for it. A perfect ending in my opinion.

Along with the once-again-excellent work from the returning cast members, Anne Hathaway is terrific as Selina Kyle and Tom Hardy is phenomenal as Bane (people have turned their noses and said "He's no Joker" but I think he's still a truly great villain) and I never thought I'd like JGL so much in this movie. That and he looks damn good holding a shotgun.

But what I truly adore about The Dark Knight Rises is that, as phenomenal as Hardy and Hathaway are, Bruce Wayne is still kept in sharp focus as this is Christian Bale's best performance in the trilogy. His character's arc is now fully completed therefore making TDKR not only the most sweepingl

Post #: 2549
RE: The threequel curse is lifted! - 5/2/2013 11:43:09 PM   
Mr Gittes

Sorry about that. Continued...

...making TDKR the most emotional of the three as well as the most sweepingly epic. That was another element of the movie that just knocked me out. The sheer scope of it was amazing. You see, that was another reservation of mine before going to see it; I didn't think it could possibly get any bigger than The Dark Knight. But, boy, was I wrong. This was not only bigger than the TDK but it was one of the biggest movies I've seen, period. But the epic sweep is perfectly matched by the emotion of the story and the power of Bruce Wayne's journey as the Batman finally coming to its conclusion.

So, overall, not a perfect movie and I still prefer The Dark Knight (which isn't perfect either) but I still loved The Dark Knight Rises and surprisingly it gets even better with repeated viewings. A more than fitting end to one of the greatest movie trilogies of all time.

Possibly four and a half stars for me but I'll round it down to an excellent four.

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 2550
Page:   <<   < prev  82 83 84 [85] 86   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Dark Knight Rises Page: <<   < prev  82 83 84 [85] 86   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI