Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: This Thread Needs An Enema!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! Page: <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 1:25:18 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: cerebusboy

Come on Glasgow's big like Gotham! Lots of crime though. Hope nobody ever sends all our polis down the sewer!

I think Rangers beat them to it - BA-DOOM-Tschhhhhhhh...!

Harrumph. I maintain that Bruce Wayne, with his Scottish ancestry, would be a fan of the Glorious Glasgow Rangers!

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 2461
RE: Batman vs very anal thread - 24/8/2012 1:26:33 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Do you mean Memento? IMO still, by far, Nolan's best film.

Proving, Batspider, fairly conclusively that one can like one Nolan film and not like another. So let's be a little less rude to the fans, yes?

Yes, Memento, sorry. The Momentum sounds like a DTV Speed rip-off

The Prestige looks interesting, but I fear no movie can live up to its "Batman v Wolverine, refereed by David Bowie" hype

Now there's a film I would like to see. I can just imagine The Thin White Duke solemnly intoning:

I don't think I like this film. I'm to have to make some Ch-ch-ch-changes...!

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2462
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 1:27:30 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

quote:

quote:

Come on Glasgow's big like Gotham! Lots of crime though. Hope nobody ever sends all our polis down the sewer!

Harrumph. I maintain that Bruce Wayne, with his Scottish ancestry, would be a fan of the Glorious Glasgow Rangers!

He's not right-wing enough.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2463
RE: Batman vs very anal thread - 24/8/2012 1:28:27 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Proving, Batspider, fairly conclusively that one can like one Nolan film and not like another. So let's be a little less rude to the fans, yes?

The Prestige looks interesting, but I fear no movie can live up to its "Batman v Wolverine, refereed by David Bowie" hype

Now there's a film I would like to see. I can just imagine The Thin White Duke solemnly intoning:

He's not afraid of a brave performance! Those ballcrushingly tight trousers in Labyrinth scarred/excited an entire generation! Personally, I quite like his turn in Last Temptation of Christ too. Shame he never got to play a Batman villain

Post #: 2464
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 1:29:20 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

We're not right-wing! We're just traditional. Like Wayne-style WASPs!

Post #: 2465
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 1:30:09 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Anyway, I thought Nolan's Batmovies are supposed to be to the right of Dick "the Penguin" Cheney?

Post #: 2466
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 1:32:42 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

He wasn't necessarily disagreeing with you - the dude with the Spider-Man avatar in the DK thread raised the motorbike issue too!

That is my point - we are all in agreement. Huzzah!

Surely the first time this has ever been said online. Truly an historic moment.

(And I WAS THERE!)

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 24/8/2012 1:33:48 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 2467
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 1:35:09 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

And The Taliban.

(Or is that "Talifan..."? )

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2468
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 1:41:02 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

And The Taliban.

Technically wahhabist Islam is a comparatively recent phenomena, so there! Whereas the Glorious Glasgow Rangers are obviously associated with classic enlightened values of religious and political freedom for all. Talking of the Taliban, I can't be the only disappointed that Frank Miller never got to use Batman in his mooted "Holy Terror", Batman-v-the-Taliban book! People who complain about Bats being right-wing would surely change their tune if they saw him beating up genuine terrorists!

Post #: 2469
RE: Batman vs very anal thread - 24/8/2012 1:41:17 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He's not afraid of a brave performance! Those ballcrushingly tight trousers in Labyrinth scarred/excited an entire generation!

That's nothing compared to what they did to his balls. (The scariest thing about Labyrinth was Bowie's mullet. And that giant Spike Milligan lookalike. And Jennifer Connolly's scowly face like a torn oot fireplace...)

quote:

Personally, I quite like his turn in Last Temptation of Christ too.

"So, you're The King of The Jews, are you? Do one of your holy tricks..." Pure comedy gold.

quote:

Shame he never got to play a Batman villain

Ah, but which one? His Poison Ivy couldn't be camper than his Pontius Pilate! I believe it was Oshima who said that David Bowie was the cinema's greatest exponent of what is known as "clap acting..."

(Bowie's best ever screen performance was in Into The Night, BTW. Even he thought so.)

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 24/8/2012 1:43:31 PM >

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2470
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 1:41:59 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

And The Taliban.

Hey I'm just a Talia-fan

Post #: 2471
RE: Batman vs very anal thread - 24/8/2012 1:45:32 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He's not afraid of a brave performance! Those ballcrushingly tight trousers in Labyrinth scarred/excited an entire generation!

That's nothing compared to what they did to his balls. (The scariest thing about Labyrinth was Bowie's mullet. And that giant Spike Milligan lookalike. And Jennifer Connolly's scowly face like a torn oot fireplace...)

quote:

"So, you're The King of The Jews, are you? Do one of your holy tricks..." Pure comedy gold.

quote:

Ah, but which one? His Poison Ivy couldn't be camper than his Pontius Pilate! I believe it was Oshima who said that David Bowie was the cinema's greatest exponent of what is known as "clap acting..."

(Bowie's best ever screen performance was in Into The Night, BTW. Even he thought so.)

I liked Jennifer Connelly in Labyrinth! Cant' believe she was only 16 (or possibly even younger?) when she made it. The movie would have been better if she'd been more torn between the exciting adult world (exemplified by Bowie) and childhood. You can't do that kind of subtext when the lead is less than 16 though without it being creepy as hell.

Post #: 2472
RE: Batman vs very anal thread - 24/8/2012 1:47:19 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Come on, Bowie's Pilot is a great world-weary politician! Remember when he talks about not caring if change comes from lov e or violence, and how Jesus "knows what must happen"? Bowie gives it some great cynical pragmatism, and even deigned to have a Caesar-cut hairstyle.

Post #: 2473
RE: Batman vs very anal thread - 24/8/2012 1:48:47 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What's clap acting? Never seen Into the Night, might look it up. I always meant to see the famously terrible Million Dollar Hotel as it did, all else being said, still boast Bono and Mel Gibson in the same movie! ("Because you demanded it....together at last!")

Post #: 2474
This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 1:59:02 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

Technically wahhabist Islam is a comparatively recent phenomena, so there! Whereas the Glorious Glasgow Rangers are obviously associated with classic enlightened values of religious and political freedom for all.

Unless you're a catholic.

quote:

Talking of the Taliban, I can't be the only disappointed that Frank Miller never got to use Batman in his mooted "Holy Terror", Batman-v-the-Taliban book! People who complain about Bats being right-wing would surely change their tune if they saw him beating up genuine terrorists!

I'd rather see Frank Miller beating up genuine terrorists.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2475
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 2:07:08 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

Technically wahhabist Islam is a comparatively recent phenomena, so there! Whereas the Glorious Glasgow Rangers are obviously associated with classic enlightened values of religious and political freedom for all.

quote:

Talking of the Taliban, I can't be the only disappointed that Frank Miller never got to use Batman in his mooted "Holy Terror", Batman-v-the-Taliban book! People who complain about Bats being right-wing would surely change their tune if they saw him beating up genuine terrorists!

You'll recall that there's a reason why Cellic board of directors only offered the European Cup Winning (and non-RC) Jock Stein a job on the club pools. Scotland used to be messed up for everyone. But we are the only european country that never shed Jewish blood, which dare one say outweighs rather the singing of non-PC songs at fitba games.

Anyway, don't want to drag this thread off-topic.

"Are you dense? Are you retarded? I'm the goddamn Frank Miller, who do you think I am?!"

Post #: 2476
RE: Batman vs very anal thread - 24/8/2012 2:07:21 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

What's clap acting?

It's an old Spitting Image joke. Oshima directed Bowie in Melly Chlistmas, Mr Lawrence...

(I said joke!)

quote:

Never seen Into the Night, might look it up.

Highly recommended. John Landis caper movie with a shockingly young Jeff Goldblum and a never-lovelier Michelle Pfeiffer. Bowie plays a sleazy cockney hitman and gets into a fight with Carl Perkins! Plus there's hardly a seventies/eighties director who doesn't cameo in it - Cronenberg, Mazursky, Landis himself as a heavy. Bought it again recently on Region One for a couple of quid.

quote:

I always meant to see the famously terrible Million Dollar Hotel as it did, all else being said, still boast Bono and Mel Gibson in the same movie! ("Because you demanded it....together at last!")

Oh no - Bono! The poster shoulda read: If You Thought David Bowie Can't Act...

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2477
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 2:08:08 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You'll recall that there's a reason why Cellic board of directors only offered the European Cup Winning (and non-RC) Jock Stein a job on the club pools. Scotland used to be messed up for everyone. But we are the only european country that never shed Jewish blood, which dare one say outweighs rather the singing of non-PC songs at fitba games.

"Are you dense? Are you retarded? I'm the goddamn Frank Miller, who do you think I am?!"

Victor Meldrew?

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2478
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 2:11:01 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Victor Meldrew?

Hey, if you think Frank Miller's recent work is a bit radio rental, have you heard of Neal "greatest ever Batman artist" Adams' truly brain-breaking Batman: Odyssey?

Now here's a Batman story with "plot holes" !

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/08/20/batman-odyssey-neal-adams-review/

Post #: 2479
RE: Batman vs very anal thread - 24/8/2012 6:10:20 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Are you a fan of (famous Glasweigan!) Grant Morrison's take on Batman? I'd maintain that he's written the greatest Batman stories of my lifetime, the "Batman R.I.P" arc especially. He entitled one of his Joker-featuring chapters "The Thin White Duke of Death", which is superb.

Post #: 2480
RE: Batman vs very anal thread - 24/8/2012 6:11:53 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

What's clap acting?

It's an old Spitting Image joke. Oshima directed Bowie in Melly Chlistmas, Mr Lawrence...

(I said joke!)

quote:

Highly recommended. John Landis caper movie with a shockingly young Jeff Goldblum and a never-lovelier Michelle Pfeiffer.

Come on, what about Batman Returns? Never been a slash-fiction fan (don't the pages get stuck together ?) but the prospect of Michelle Pfeiffer Catwoman and Ann Hathaway Catwoman hooking up is an exciting one!

Post #: 2481
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 6:12:59 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Victor Meldrew?

Where ?

Am fond of old and grumpy Batman myself! One reason Dark Knight Returns was so great.

Post #: 2482
RE: Batman vs very anal thread - 24/8/2012 6:13:57 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

What's clap acting?

(I said joke!)

quote:

Highly recommended. John Landis caper movie with a shockingly young Jeff Goldblum and a never-lovelier Michelle Pfeiffer. Bowie plays a sleazy cockney hitman and gets into a fight with Carl Perkins! Plus there's hardly a seventies/eighties director who doesn't cameo in it - Cronenberg, Mazursky, Landis himself as a heavy. Bought it again recently on Region One for a couple of quid.

quote:

I always meant to see the famously terrible Million Dollar Hotel as it did, all else being said, still boast Bono and Mel Gibson in the same movie! ("Because you demanded it....together at last!")

Oh no - Bono! The poster shoulda read: If You Thought David Bowie Can't Act...

Come on, I'd imagine he can act at least as well as Mel Gibson can sing

Post #: 2483
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 6:15:17 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Victor Meldrew?

Where ?

Am fond of old and grumpy Batman myself! One reason Dark Knight Returns was so great.

And I'd agree with the poster who said, early on in this thread, that there's no need for a genuine Dark Knight Returns live action movie adaptation, as Nolan's incorporated its best and most relevant bits into Dark Knight Rises.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2484
RE: Batman vs very anal thread - 24/8/2012 6:18:58 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

And come on, does Pilot not say to Jesus, fairly rational and sceptical, "can you do a trick, now, for me"? The bit where Jesus says no but does tell him what he says on the streets, and the whole analogy of the statute is brilliant. Last Temptation is full of moments like that. Surprised it doesn't get more critical acclaim (honourably exception to Kevin Smith, who cited it as one of this favourite movies) . The bit where Jesus appears to John the Baptist and all the sound leeches out when John realises Jesus is who the prophets spoke of is superb.

Post #: 2485
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 25/8/2012 11:57:25 AM   
chris kilby

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Anyway, I thought Nolan's Batmovies are supposed to be to the right of Dick "the Penguin" Cheney?

Well, like Bush, Rumsfeld, Cheney and co, The Dark Knight Trilogy goes out of its way to demonstrate just how counter-productive torture is. But it's more ambivalent about "extraordinary rendition" - OK when The Batman does it (though it gets Lao killed - whoops!), not-OK when the CIA does it.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2486
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 25/8/2012 11:59:17 AM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, like Bush, Rumsfeld, Cheney and co, The Dark Knight Trilogy goes out of its way to demonstrate just how counter-productive torture is. But it's more ambivalent about "extraordinary rendition" - OK when The Batman does it (though it gets Lao killed - whoops!), not-OK when the CIA does it.

In fairness, the objection to CIA is that they take people to places where torture is allowed, or at least easier to get away with. Batman, instead, hands Lau back to the police where he's allowed to stand trial under the rule of law.

Post #: 2487
RE: Batman vs very anal thread - 25/8/2012 12:04:18 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

quote:

quote:

What's clap acting?

(I said joke!)

quote:

Highly recommended. John Landis caper movie with a shockingly young Jeff Goldblum and a never-lovelier Michelle Pfeiffer.

Come on, what about Batman Returns? Never been a slash-fiction fan (don't the pages get stuck together ?) but the prospect of Michelle Pfeiffer Catwoman and Ann Hathaway Catwoman hooking up is an exciting one!

She doesn't get her kit off in Batman Returns.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2488
RE: Batman vs very anal thread - 25/8/2012 12:05:34 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What's clap acting?

(I said joke!)

quote:

She doesn't get her kit off in Batman Returns.

Ah, fair point ! Although it still cracks me up that Burton managed to get the line "just the pussy I've been looking for" into what is ostensibly a kids' film!

Post #: 2489
RE: Batman vs very anal thread - 25/8/2012 12:06:54 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

Are you a fan of (famous Glasweigan!) Grant Morrison's take on Batman? I'd maintain that he's written the greatest Batman stories of my lifetime, the "Batman R.I.P" arc especially. He entitled one of his Joker-featuring chapters "The Thin White Duke of Death", which is superb.

The only Morrison Batman I've read is Arkham Asylum - very pretty to look at, not very good/pretentious, truth be told. I've still got a mint first edition in hardback if anyone wants to make me any outrageous offers...

PS: I'm not "a fan," BTW. I'm an enthusiast...

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 25/8/2012 12:32:48 PM >

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2490
Page:   <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! Page: <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI