Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: This Thread Needs An Enema!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! Page: <<   < prev  80 81 [82] 83 84   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 12:33:51 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

The question about the bikes is a good one - wondered that myself. I suppose the magic of cinema is how they managed to get them through the building. I suppose they could be smuggled through the backdoor.

Again not that big an issue. It was a fun sequence in of itself.

Is it really that big a deal? We see that the LoS have infiltrated everywhere (Project Mayhem style!) so having a few bikes in the basement (or whatever) is pretty small beer by their standards.

Be a lot easier to smuggle a few dirt bikes into the basement of the Gotham Stock Exchange than it would be to "sneak" hundreds of oil drums onto those ferries (and presumably a hospital) in The Dark Knight. Just sayin', like. Like I did in my glowing-yet-curiously-not-uncritical reviews.

Fact is, movies like this seldom ever make any sense. If you're unwilling to suspend your disbelief, that is. Cos if you're prepared to swallow a guy dressed up as a bat (and precious few people ever noticing he's one of The Richest, Most Powerful and, therefore, one of The Most Famous Men In The World!) everything else really is just pointless nitpicking.

So there.

Hmm, in a panic emergency evacuations situation, would "searching below decks for oil drums" really be a priority ?
And remember, in Batman Begins we see a more "realistic" Bruce in a ski mask and Kevlar. It's pish. Dressing up as a Bat is a reasonable and not excessively implausible implementation of "weaponized fear" The fact that even the most hardened criminal, used to dealing with cops, rival gangs will have a terrified WTF? response to a dude in a Batsuit is kinda the point. Look also how Batman took down the SWAT team in Dark Knight. They ain't trained to deal wit' no Batman!

Hey Chris, it struck me that me and you are like Batman and Catwoman, heroically fighting against the baddies and haterz!

< Message edited by cerebusboy -- 24/8/2012 12:34:54 PM >

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 2431
This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 12:36:33 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

Batman has no limitations

Like this thread. But unlike some posters' patience...?

Sir, you try my patience.

Don't mind if I do. You must try mine sometime.

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 24/8/2012 1:29:39 PM >

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2432
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/8/2012 12:40:55 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Personally I think Insomnia is his best.

Seems like a total hipster choice, but while I have a genuine fondness for his Batman flicks (especially The Dark Knight), Insomnia is the one Nolan joint I always go back to time and time again.

It contains Pacino's arguably last great performance and Robin Williams is creepy as sin.

Pacino's last great non-shouty performance, that's for sure. And Robin Williams is always creepy. Only here he was supposed to be for once!

(Insomnia's great. And the reason Hollywood was queuing up to star in Batman Begins, I think.)

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 2433
RE: This town needs an enema - 24/8/2012 12:41:56 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

How about you just read the rules and then thats that?

I've done so, but I was talking about the rules in the context of Renegade. He's just in the door, only a couple of posts, and he's already getting hassle from some Private Members Club types. I was doing him a favour by pointing out that it would be a good idea for a mod to recommend the rules. I wish someone had done that to me earlier.

I'd certainly welcome lots more on topic DKR discussion, but I got the impression you feel that the conversation's gone on on this thread long enough?

You are very good at this, I will grant you that.

Batman has no limitations

Like this thread. But unlike some posters' patience...?

Sir, you try my patience.

Don't mind if I do. You must try mine sometime.

I see they're still running TV adverts or DKR, and it's not exactly dropped out of the box office. No offence to anyone, but it seems very strange that the fact this thread is still going is considered odd.

Post #: 2434
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/8/2012 12:43:43 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

Seems like a total hipster choice, but while I have a genuine fondness for his Batman flicks (especially The Dark Knight), Insomnia is the one Nolan joint I always go back to time and time again.

It contains Pacino's arguably last great performance and Robin Williams is creepy as sin.

Pacino's last great non-shouty performance, that's for sure. And Robin Williams is always creepy. Only here he was supposed to be for once!

(Insomnia's great. And the reason Hollywood was queuing up to star in Batman Begins, I think.)

Shouty Pacino isn't all-bad though! Personally I thought his turn in the peerless Angels in America was superb.

Post #: 2435
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/8/2012 12:47:08 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

And Robin Williams is always creepy. Only here he was supposed to be for once!

Actually, he might have been creepier in Patch Adams.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 2436
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/8/2012 12:48:12 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

And Robin Williams is always creepy. Only here he was supposed to be for once!

Actually, he might have been creepier in Patch Adams.

What about Jack? *shudders at memory*

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 2437
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 12:49:02 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

The question about the bikes is a good one - wondered that myself. I suppose the magic of cinema is how they managed to get them through the building. I suppose they could be smuggled through the backdoor.

Is it really that big a deal? We see that the LoS have infiltrated everywhere (Project Mayhem style!) so having a few bikes in the basement (or whatever) is pretty small beer by their standards.

Be a lot easier to smuggle a few dirt bikes into the basement of the Gotham Stock Exchange than it would be to "sneak" hundreds of oil drums onto those ferries (and presumably a hospital) in The Dark Knight. Just sayin', like. Like I did in my glowing-yet-curiously-not-uncritical reviews.

Fact is, movies like this seldom ever make any sense. If you're unwilling to suspend your disbelief, that is. Cos if you're prepared to swallow a guy dressed up as a bat (and precious few people ever noticing he's one of The Richest, Most Powerful and, therefore, one of The Most Famous Men In The World!) everything else really is just pointless nitpicking.

So there.

Can I direct you both yet again to the bit where I said that it isn't a big deal for the very reasons highlighted above.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 2438
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 12:50:09 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So there.

Can I direct you both yet again to the bit where I said that it isn't a big deal for the very reasons highlighted above.

He wasn't necessarily disagreeing with you - the dude with the Spider-Man avatar in the DK thread raised the motorbike issue too!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 2439
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 12:50:59 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So there.

Hey RGirvan is the thing of yours I quoted recently the review you were referring to, from early on in this thread, or is there another one I could look for elsewhere on the site?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 2440
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 12:51:31 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So there.

Hmm, in a panic emergency evacuations situation, would "searching below decks for oil drums" really be a priority ?

And remember, in Batman Begins we see a more "realistic" Bruce in a ski mask and Kevlar. It's pish. Dressing up as a Bat is a reasonable and not excessively implausible implementation of "weaponized fear" The fact that even the most hardened criminal, used to dealing with cops, rival gangs will have a terrified WTF? response to a dude in a Batsuit is kinda the point. Look also how Batman took down the SWAT team in Dark Knight. They ain't trained to deal wit' no Batman!

Tell you what. Pop down to Ardrossan and try to smuggle one oil drum onto a ferry and see how far you get. Alternately, you could try doing the same at The Royal Infirmary, if that's handier for you. You could even kill two birds with the one stone by attempting these feats while dressed up as a bat and I'll watch out for you on the news tonight!

quote:

Hey Chris, it struck me that me and you are like Batman and Catwoman, heroically fighting against the baddies and haterz!

And like The Batman, I often get blown out of the sky for my trouble. Or do I...?

(Hang on a sec! Just who's supposed to be who in this little scenario, exactly...?)

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2441
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 12:52:46 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So there.

He wasn't necessarily disagreeing with you - the dude with the Spider-Man avatar in the DK thread raised the motorbike issue too!

That is my point - we are all in agreement. Huzzah!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2442
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 12:53:11 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So there.

Tell you what. Pop down to Ardrossan and try to smuggle one oil drum onto a ferry and see how far you get. Alternately, you could try doing the same at The Royal Infirmary, if that's handier for you. You could even kill two birds with the one stone by attempting these feats while dressed up as a bat and I'll watch out for you on the news tonight!

quote:

And like The Batman, I often get blown out of the sky for my trouble. Or do I...?

(Hang on a sec! Just who's supposed to be who in this little scenario, exactly...?)

Is Adrossan in the midst of an urgent emergency evacuation? (maybe it should be, but that's not the question ) Even if below decks would usually be searched as a matter of course, surely you can understand them not having time to do so in DK?

Post #: 2443
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 12:53:28 PM   
Rgirvan44

Wait - you are from Ayrshire?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 2444
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 12:53:54 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So there.

That is my point - we are all in agreement. Huzzah!

Told you Dark Knight Rises didn't have any plot holes. If you'd realised this earlier this thread would have been much shorter!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 2445
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 12:56:08 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So there.

quote:

I'm Batman, you're Catwoman! don't worry, I have no intention of giving you a pearl necklace

In fairness, when we see Batman in daytime in the Nolan movies, it's only at the point where he has to fight during the day, and when he's a folk hero (thereby making up for the supposedly ludicrousness of the batoutfit)

Post #: 2446
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 12:56:54 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

I thought Chris was a fellow Weegie! Hope he's not a closet teucthar (no wonder he needs a secret identity)

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 2447
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/8/2012 12:58:22 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

quote:

quote:

Shouty Pacino isn't all-bad though! Personally I thought his turn in the peerless Angels in America was superb.

Indeed. I'm quite partial to a bit of quiet, brooding Pacino which suddenly gets all SHOUTY. Heat is a classic in this respect:

Cos's she's got a GREAT ASS! And you've got your head ALL THE WAY UP IT!

Hank Azaria's genuinely stunned response ("Jesus") is priceless - he had absolutely no idea Pacino was going to do this.

Glengarry Glen Ross is another one -

You stoopid focking cont... FOCK YOU, DAVE! FOCK YOU!

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2448
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/8/2012 1:00:06 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Indeed. I'm quite partial to a bit of quiet, brooding Pacino which suddenly gets all SHOUTY. Heat is a classic in this respect:

Cos's she's got a GREAT ASS! And you've got your head ALL THE WAY UP IT!

Hank Azaria's genuinely stunned response ("Jesus") is priceless - he had absolutely no idea Pacino was going to do this.

Glengarry Glen Ross is another one -

You stoopid focking cont... FOCK YOU, DAVE! FOCK YOU!

I do hope you're not confusing Pacino with Shatner The latter should really be credited with inventing grunge style quiet-LOUD-quiet-RANDOM LOUD via his acting style

Post #: 2449
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/8/2012 1:01:20 PM   
Rgirvan44

OOOHHHHWHATABIGMANYOU ARREEEE, here's-a-pack-of-gum showyouhowtochewit! - Best Pacino Glengarry line reading

Post #: 2450
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 1:02:25 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So there.

quote:

Is Adrossan in the midst of an urgent emergency evacuation?

It will be when you get there - I've already grassed you up!

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2451
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 1:03:46 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So there.

quote:

Is Adrossan in the midst of an urgent emergency evacuation?

It will be when you get there - I've already grassed you up!

Who's side are you on!? You're worse than Miranda Tate

Post #: 2452
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 1:04:54 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

I've been to Ayrshire. I have connections/friends in low places. But then, I have eyes and ears everywhere...

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 2453
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 1:05:52 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

I've been to Ayrshire. I have connections/friends in low places. But then, I have eyes and ears everywhere...

I hope you're not using cellphones as Sonar

Post #: 2454
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 1:10:07 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

quote:

I thought Chris was a fellow Weegie!

Now that would be telling. Scotland's about as specific as I'm prepared to get, location-wise. Once you've acquired an online stalker like wot I have (no, not him!) you learn to be a bit more discreet about what you divulge about yourself online.

quote:

Hope he's not a closet teucthar (no wonder he needs a secret identity)

What's wrong with teuchters? Some of my best friends are teuchters. Actually... None of them are.

(Why are so many people in Edinburgh called "Ken..."?)

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2455
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 1:11:35 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

Who's side are you on!? You're worse than Miranda Tate

As Al Pacino would say: Keep your friends close. Keep your enemies CLOSER!

(I'm worse than Catherine Tate. Am I bovvered, etc...?)

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 24/8/2012 1:12:52 PM >

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2456
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 1:14:58 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

I thought Chris was a fellow Weegie!

Now that would be telling. Scotland's about as specific as I'm prepared to get, location-wise. Once you've acquired an online stalker like wot I have (no, not him!) you learn to be a bit more discreet about what you divulge about yourself online.

quote:

Hope he's not a closet teucthar (no wonder he needs a secret identity)

What's wrong with teuchters? Some of my best friends are teuchters. Actually... None of them are.

(Why are so many people in Edinburgh called "Ken..."?)

Come on Glasgow's big like Gotham! Lots of crime though. Hope nobody ever sends all our polis down the sewer!

Post #: 2457
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/8/2012 1:17:10 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

I do hope you're not confusing Pacino with Shatner The latter should really be credited with inventing grunge style quiet-LOUD-quiet-RANDOM LOUD via his acting style

Have you heard The Shat's latest album? His, er, unique line reading of Bohemian Rhapsody has to be heard to be disbelieved:

Beelzebub. Has a devil? Put aside? For MEEEE...?

(I've been lobbying on every website I visit to make this the Christmas Number #1! )

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 24/8/2012 1:18:01 PM >

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2458
RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 1:19:06 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

Come on Glasgow's big like Gotham! Lots of crime though. Hope nobody ever sends all our polis down the sewer!

I think Rangers beat them to it - BA-DOOM-Tschhhhhhhh...!

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2459
RE: This town needs an enema - 24/8/2012 1:21:02 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

Jeez; I leave for a week or something and it all goes tits up!! What the duce has gone on?!

Anyway; back on topic...is that ok?!

Now that I've watched the film an unhealthy amount of time at the cinema (including an evening visit by myself, which is only the second time in my life I've done that) I am getting curious as to how this film will translate onto DVD.
Personally I think Batman Begins works better in the comfort of my living room; it just feels more personal a film. As the scale of this film is so epic I wonder if it won't translate as well...just my thought of the day.

You're gonna need a bigger TV

This was no post accident.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 2460
Page:   <<   < prev  80 81 [82] 83 84   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: This Thread Needs An Enema! Page: <<   < prev  80 81 [82] 83 84   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI