Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: This town needs an enema

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: This town needs an enema Page: <<   < prev  79 80 [81] 82 83   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 11:42:03 AM   
elab49

Again, nonsense. We don't buy innocent acts from cheerleading sections and we recognise deliberate trolling when it takes place.

And again - if you wish to take this pointless self-justification forward take it to PM as you have been asked before.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2401
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 12:50:20 PM   
waltham1979

Jeez; I leave for a week or something and it all goes tits up!! What the duce has gone on?!

Anyway; back on topic...is that ok?!

Now that I've watched the film an unhealthy amount of time at the cinema (including an evening visit by myself, which is only the second time in my life I've done that) I am getting curious as to how this film will translate onto DVD.

Personally I think Batman Begins works better in the comfort of my living room; it just feels more personal a film. As the scale of this film is so epic I wonder if it won't translate as well...just my thought of the day.

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2402
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 12:53:55 PM   
waltham1979

Oh my cat 'Bruce' has run away...if anyone see's a little tiny Bat Wing flying through the sky hauling a small nuclear device or the feline equivilant can you email me?! Thanks

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 2403
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 1:04:25 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

Now that I've watched the film an unhealthy amount of time at the cinema (including an evening visit by myself, which is only the second time in my life I've done that)

Call yourself a fanboy!?

Post #: 2404
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 1:05:32 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

Jeez; I leave for a week or something and it all goes tits up!! What the duce has gone on?!

Now that I've watched the film an unhealthy amount of time at the cinema (including an evening visit by myself, which is only the second time in my life I've done that) I am getting curious as to how this film will translate onto DVD.

Personally I think Batman Begins works better in the comfort of my living room; it just feels more personal a film. As the scale of this film is so epic I wonder if it won't translate as well...just my thought of the day.

Interesting point. Personally I think that it will work fine; after all Dark Knight, as Rgirvan has pointed out, arguably has more of an epic sense of a real big city, and that works fine on DVD.

Post #: 2405
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 1:06:30 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

Oh my cat 'Bruce' has run away...if anyone see's a little tiny Bat Wing flying through the sky hauling a small nuclear device or the feline equivilant can you email me?! Thanks

Don't want to make light of your pain dude (and hope he comes back soon!), but is there not an irony in your cat called Bruce running off because you're out seeing Dark Knight Rises too much?

Post #: 2406
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 1:07:12 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

Maybe he's trapped down a hole in the middle east..... he should make it back home in a couple of weeks!

Post #: 2407
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 1:11:41 PM   
Discodez

quote:

You're gonna need a bigger TV

Post #: 2408
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 1:22:23 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: cerebusboy

quote:

Maybe he's trapped down a hole in the middle east..... he should make it back home in a couple of weeks!

Haha as long as he doesn't come back like this:

http://hall.hdfillms.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/406279_471968279499842_1547498263_n.jpeg

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2409
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 1:31:21 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

quote:

Interesting point. Personally I think that it will work fine; after all Dark Knight, as Rgirvan has pointed out, arguably has more of an epic sense of a real big city, and that works fine on DVD.

You see I think this TDR is far more epic in scale than TDK. I think TDK, the way it was directed, is again far more personable than TDKR. Yes geographically Dark Knight is larger than Begins, but I don't hink it relies on those large giant scenes - the big flowing, panoramic shots of the city are more incidental - where as I think in the TDKR they become intrical to the story line.

For exmaple, my TV is a healthy size (big enough that I can pick up every detail nicely - not nice when I'm watching Clarkson on Top Gear - but not big enough to make my eyes bleed everytime I watch Doctor Who) but for example the scene where the bridges are being blown up worked in the cinema as the screen was so frickin big but you don't actually see them that clearly.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2410
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 1:38:00 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Haha as long as he doesn't come back like this:

http://hall.hdfillms.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/406279_471968279499842_1547498263_n.jpeg

Lol! Maybe he could get a lift back
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/when-your-car-has-been-washed.jpeg

Post #: 2411
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 1:55:13 PM   
Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

quote:

quote:

You see I think this TDR is far more epic in scale than TDK. I think TDK, the way it was directed, is again far more personable than TDKR. Yes geographically Dark Knight is larger than Begins, but I don't hink it relies on those large giant scenes - the big flowing, panoramic shots of the city are more incidental - where as I think in the TDKR they become intrical to the story line.

For exmaple, my TV is a healthy size (big enough that I can pick up every detail nicely - not nice when I'm watching Clarkson on Top Gear - but not big enough to make my eyes bleed everytime I watch Doctor Who) but for example the scene where the bridges are being blown up worked in the cinema as the screen was so frickin big but you don't actually see them that clearly.

You'll be fine as long as you've got a decent sound system! The best part of that moment (for me) was the low, distant rumble that went through the cinema as those bridges collapsed.

Post #: 2412
RE: Rises and Falls - 23/8/2012 5:30:39 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lycan

Have just seen TDKR at the IMAX (the only place to watch a Batman movie). Great film with some excellent scenes, but not as well constructed or constantly gripping as The Dark Knight. Too much muffled/lost/swallowed dialogue and I don't expect to have to try so hard to hear what a central character like Bane is saying. The appearance of Scarecrow AGAIN was a poor choice - this character's significance has been reduced to an in-joke across the trilogy and that was a major disappointment.

It's not just an in-joke. It fits in with the themes across all the movies. Old Crime is in the ascendent, but then the Joker comes along and blows it to bits. Who else would you have be the judge? Plus villains in Batman movies usually die or get locked up for life, so the fact that the Scarecrow is still out dealing in DK is actually pretty badass when you think about it!
Post #: 2413
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 5:32:38 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

How about you just read the rules and then thats that?

I've done so, but I was talking about the rules in the context of Renegade. He's just in the door, only a couple of posts, and he's already getting hassle from some Private Members Club types. I was doing him a favour by pointing out that it would be a good idea for a mod to recommend the rules. I wish someone had done that to me earlier.

I'd certainly welcome lots more on topic DKR discussion, but I got the impression you feel that the conversation's gone on on this thread long enough?

You are very good at this, I will grant you that.

Batman has no limitations

Actually, I just remembered that you said once that you'd posted a big review somewhere on the forum? If you have to hand, then you should repost it and I'll respond to its points. I'd be interested to read it in any case.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 2414
RE: More Right Wing Bat Politics - 23/8/2012 5:52:57 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: fiercehairdo

OK, I'm sure this post is gonna get the Nolan fanboy's foaming at the mouth but it has to be said...

Read this short article which sums up Nolan's Bat Franchise strong tendency to endorse very iffy Right-Wing politics: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2012/jul/17/dark-knight-rises-capitalist-superhero

I completely agree with this piece.

The truth is, The Dark Knight endorsed torture, Extraordinary Rendition, phone-tapping and mass invasion of privacy by the film's 'hero'. It endorsed suspending peoples rights in the cause of fighting terrorism. In other words it endorsed the fascistic neo-con right wing politics of Bush, Cheney et al.

The Dark Knight Rises portrays the Billionaire as the good guy, imposing his will on the anarchic masses (read Occupy movement) who are in fact in thrall to criminal thugs like Bane. Anyone watching the news lately cannot have failed to have notice that in reality the billionaires (Murdoch, Diamond etc) of the world rarely are operating for the wider good and the protesting masses (Occupy movement) very often have justice and moral good on their side. TDKR inverts this view to billionaires good, protesting masses bad.

In other words it just continues and emphasises the deeply retrograde, conservative, right wing politics of the previous film.

Yes they are very slick, quite exciting and stylish films. BUT if we are going to take them seriously as great movies please lets not ignore the wider message of the films: that human rights and laws can be suspended by the wealthy if they believe what they do is right; that vigilante action is justifiable; that torturers are heroes when operating with the right intentions; that capitalist wealth domination is a force for good and movements like Occupy need to be suppressed. A pretty depressing agenda in my view.

I know many are going to reply "it's just a fantasy; it's just a film about a man dressed as a bat - don't take it too seriously". But frankly those same people are often the ones comparing these films to The Godfather and Citizen Kane - are we taking them seriously or not??? Indeed Nolan and his collaborators seem to be taking it VERY seriously hence the portentous tone of the franchise. If it is a masterpiece as people claim it should be seriously examined, and if it is ultimately pushing a very conservative agenda on audiences under the disguise of stunning action and various bat-gadgets well that needs exposing. Especially since the mass love-in of Nolan has now got completely out of hand.

Bring on the attacks...

It doesn't endorse all of them.

Batman beats the Joker up and it amounts to nothing.
Batman uses the sonic technology but Fox stands up to him.

The movie isn't about endorsement  - it is about what are the limits people are willing to go to protect their society. Nolan tests the various ideas that underpinned the War on Terror. In some instances it works,  in most it doesn't. It is hardly an endorsement of the Bush culture but rather a mirror to it. Big difference.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in the 1989 Batman didn't he bomb an entire factory and do much similar stuff to these current films, only difference being the latest films tend to be set against more realistic contemporary backgrounds.
I wonder does fiercehairdo get worked up as much with Michael Moores films and their agenda?

Yes, plus 89 Batman kills, whereas Nolan's Batman DOES stick to his rule in Dark Knight. And there's a danger of making too much of political etc subtext. You hardly have to be a pacifist to appreciate a good "war is hell" film.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 2415
RE: More Right Wing Bat Politics - 23/8/2012 5:57:39 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

quote:

quote:

OK, I'm sure this post is gonna get the Nolan fanboy's foaming at the mouth but it has to be said...

Read this short article which sums up Nolan's Bat Franchise strong tendency to endorse very iffy Right-Wing politics: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2012/jul/17/dark-knight-rises-capitalist-superhero

I completely agree with this piece.

The truth is, The Dark Knight endorsed torture, Extraordinary Rendition, phone-tapping and mass invasion of privacy by the film's 'hero'. It endorsed suspending peoples rights in the cause of fighting terrorism. In other words it endorsed the fascistic neo-con right wing politics of Bush, Cheney et al.

The Dark Knight Rises portrays the Billionaire as the good guy, imposing his will on the anarchic masses (read Occupy movement) who are in fact in thrall to criminal thugs like Bane. Anyone watching the news lately cannot have failed to have notice that in reality the billionaires (Murdoch, Diamond etc) of the world rarely are operating for the wider good and the protesting masses (Occupy movement) very often have justice and moral good on their side. TDKR inverts this view to billionaires good, protesting masses bad.

In other words it just continues and emphasises the deeply retrograde, conservative, right wing politics of the previous film.

Yes they are very slick, quite exciting and stylish films. BUT if we are going to take them seriously as great movies please lets not ignore the wider message of the films: that human rights and laws can be suspended by the wealthy if they believe what they do is right; that vigilante action is justifiable; that torturers are heroes when operating with the right intentions; that capitalist wealth domination is a force for good and movements like Occupy need to be suppressed. A pretty depressing agenda in my view.

I know many are going to reply "it's just a fantasy; it's just a film about a man dressed as a bat - don't take it too seriously". But frankly those same people are often the ones comparing these films to The Godfather and Citizen Kane - are we taking them seriously or not??? Indeed Nolan and his collaborators seem to be taking it VERY seriously hence the portentous tone of the franchise. If it is a masterpiece as people claim it should be seriously examined, and if it is ultimately pushing a very conservative agenda on audiences under the disguise of stunning action and various bat-gadgets well that needs exposing. Especially since the mass love-in of Nolan has now got completely out of hand.

Bring on the attacks...

It doesn't endorse all of them.

Batman beats the Joker up and it amounts to nothing.
Batman uses the sonic technology but Fox stands up to him.

The movie isn't about endorsement  - it is about what are the limits people are willing to go to protect their society. Nolan tests the various ideas that underpinned the War on Terror. In some instances it works,  in most it doesn't. It is hardly an endorsement of the Bush culture but rather a mirror to it. Big difference.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in the 1989 Batman didn't he bomb an entire factory and do much similar stuff to these current films, only difference being the latest films tend to be set against more realistic contemporary backgrounds.
I wonder does fiercehairdo get worked up as much with Michael Moores films and their agenda?

Fox stands up to the phone-tapping thing but it's a pretty empty gesture since he actively collaborated in the rendition of the guy from Hong Kong and most of Batman's other dodgy tactics. The film just wanted to have its cake and eat it - condemn it then indulge in it.

And the Rendition, torture of Maroney and phone-tapping/survellance is shown to work and the presentation of Batman as a hero for using these methods amounts to endorsement. Even his one moral code about not killing is undermined in the end by Batman killing Harvey Dent. Morally, the best that can be said about these films is they are very confused, and the worst that they amount to right-wing propaganda.

And yes of course lots of Hollywood produce is rightwing violent dumbness. But then that stuff isn't usually held up as a masterpiece of art that we should take seriously. I'm just applying the judgement criteria I'd apply to any great work of cinema - look at the deeper meanings and give them due consideration. The more one thinks about these films rather than just revelling in the stylish action, the more they become very questionable.

The film time and again questions the motivations of Batman - "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain" does't just apply to Dent.

The challenges you to consider the War on Terror - and just because it suggests that some of the immoral actions can lead to results doesn't make it an endorsement. Look what happens to our hereos - Batman loses the woman he loves; Dent also loses her and becomes disformed and Gordon has his family kidanpped and threatened. Hardly a great victory for them.

Time and again there actions prove to be ineffective against the Joker. It is through the people of Gotham showing their goodness, does the Jokers plan unravel.

As for Batman killing Dent. Is is really murder to stop someone from killing another? Batman threw him over-  but I doubt he anticpated the fall and so on. I think there is a code...but it has limits. The life of an innocent kid, or the life of Dent - that was the dice he was dealt with.

You are also wanting to have your cake and eat it. You want to explore the themes, but only with the angle of it being a right wing fantasy, when it is far more complex than that. Unless you are suggesting blockbusters shouldn't look at these issues, and balance them up, and challenge audiences?

And by the by - when did films with a right wing slant become bad full stop? Are left leaning films somehow better? It is about how the issues are explored and what measures are used. In the Dark Knight the Bush stuff is in there, but to focus soley on that is to ignore the other side of the coin.

I take your point on a lot of this. But ultimately I do think the film does come down on the Bush/Cheney side of things - something I personally find hard to swallow. Furthermore, right-wing biased films aren't necessarily bad full stop, but I would say films endorsing torture are promoting a very bad idea. Full stop. No question, that is a very dodgy message in any film, but in a comic book based film aimed at young people and children - very, very iffy in my opinion. But feel free to defend torture endorsing movies 'cause they're exciting - thousands do unfortunately.

I seriously doubt DKR will lead to children voting Republican, not least because they can't vote But, come on, it's not like we see Batman waterboarding innocents and are encouraged to cheer.

(in reply to fiercehairdo)
Post #: 2416
RE: More Right Wing Bat Politics - 23/8/2012 6:00:35 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ok you clearly didn't read the bit where I said the torture was shown not to work. Please point to the bit where I said torture was exciting.

Please.

I'm not saying you said that. I am saying that many defend the films purely 'cause they are exciting and ignore the wider implications of what they are watching, that is all. I didn't mean you personally.

"But feel free to defend torture endorsing movies 'cause they're exciting - thousands do unfortunately." certainly sounds like you meant to direct it at me. But lets put it down to miscommunication.

Lets look at the torture - Batman hits the Joker numerous times, out of blind rage. It doesn't do a thing. The Joker wants him to that mad. The Joker wants to scare the city into evacuating. He is a Terror in human form. Batman doesn't do a thing to stop any of these events. Torture did nothing. In the harsh light, with the laughter, no one would be excited by what Batman does.

And hey at the end, Batman basically is fighting a guy trying to set off a bomb and....saves him? How does that line up with the right wing fantasy claim?

I was thinking more of Batman deliberately breaking Maroney's legs. That got the desired result. And Batman didn't even ask a question first. He asked after. That seemed to endorse torture as a tactic. It's OK to break legs to get info if you know that guy is a wrong'n... In real life torture doesn't work and is morally wrong in every way. My personal view, but I think one shared by Amnesty, Liberty etc...
But I don't want to get off onto a TDK discussion here - It is a TDKR thread after all. My initial post was simply to express disappointment that TDKR seems to be more of the same. The Guardian article articulates it quite well I think.

Breaking legs didn't work. It just emphasised to Maroni that Batman won't kill, i.e. that the torture/terror tactics don't work.

(in reply to fiercehairdo)
Post #: 2417
RE: sound even on IMAX tricky at times, just a heads up - 23/8/2012 6:12:36 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

I know that this is a common complaint, but the eight year gap where we are told Bruce stopped being Batman after he got home driving down that road on the Pod is hugely disappointing. It means that Wayne only operated on the streets for a year and some change.

Yes, but look at what he actually did in that space of time. Batman saving Gotham from destruction by the Joker surely warrants legendary status, and certainly compares to (say) five years of Bruce just beating up muggers and stuff

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 2418
RE: sound even on IMAX tricky at times, just a heads up - 23/8/2012 6:16:15 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

So of course Wayne becomes the second person to climb out of the pit and he heads back to Gotham with JUST ONE DAY BEFORE THE BOMB GOES OFF. What an amazing piece of luck.

How is it luck? Bruce escapes due to his own mental and physical resources. I remember someone pointing out that the back injury Bruce has can be fatal if untreated, so it would make sense that Bane, who wants to keep Bruce alive, would leave him with someone with medical training.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 2419
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 7:19:27 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

I
quote:

would
quote:

say
quote:

it
quote:

is
quote:

just
quote:

polite.

See what I did here? 7 posts in one! It's like Inception or something!

Speaking of which, I saw Following yesterday. I take it everyone else who's seen it in the last 2 years, also got the feeling that Nolan has been meaning to make Inception for a long time? Sure there's no Dreams Within Dreams stuff, but they really felt similar

That's nothing

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, I definitely think Inception is Nolan's dream project, although I tend to agree with those who say that, with the Batman movies, he's constructed a proper trilogy. I'd hope that even people who didn't like DKR conceded that it is still a proper conclusion to a story, resolution of its themes etc, rather than just another Batman blockbuster sequel.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 2420
RE: A satisfying end to a wonderful trilogy. - 23/8/2012 10:08:42 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: reaper996

Did this film succumb to the third film curse? No. With Nolan, the cast and crew all returning it was pretty much inevitable that this was going to be another fantastic movie. While it did have it's share of flaws the amount of good points largely outweigh the bad ones, this is a super way to end what is the best superhero trilogy of all time. A 5* trilogy.

Well said, newbie. I agree.
Post #: 2421
RE: Best Trilogy in Film History - 23/8/2012 10:48:09 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alpha1Media

@Alpha1Media Review of #TheDarkKnightRises completes the best #trilogy in #film history based on a #hero #TheGodfather is based on #villain

Aside from which, Godfather is 2 great movies and one mediocre epilogue, not a proper peerless trilogy like The Dark Knight

< Message edited by Hobbitonlass -- 24/8/2012 6:58:05 AM >
Post #: 2422
RE: sound even on IMAX tricky at times, just a heads up - 23/8/2012 11:39:42 PM   
giggity

quote:

quote:

So of course Wayne becomes the second person to climb out of the pit and he heads back to Gotham with JUST ONE DAY BEFORE THE BOMB GOES OFF. What an amazing piece of luck.

How is it luck? Bruce escapes due to his own mental and physical resources. I remember someone pointing out that the back injury Bruce has can be fatal if untreated, so it would make sense that Bane, who wants to keep Bruce alive, would leave him with someone with medical training.

I don't think Bruce came back to Gotham with one day before the bomb goes off, he had a huge plan to put into place and stuff like creating the beacon and changing the autopilot. I think he came back to Gotham before that, prepared everything but showed himself to Selina (and the audience) the day beforehand.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2423
RE: Batman vs very anal thread - 24/8/2012 10:17:00 AM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatSpider

Who will win? Seems some Nolanchiefs like to stretch things out past the point of anything useful, kind of like his empty overlong flicks. Seriously man, go easy on the anal rentative (sp?)

Actually, I haven't seen Insomnia, or the Momentum or The Prestige. Don't tell the Nolancult leaders dude, or they might take away my membership card Are all the real (as compared to fanboy) critics and other people who like DKR brainwashed poisoned Kool-Aid swallowers?

Anal's great, but retentive: not so much
Post #: 2424
RE: Batman vs very anal thread - 24/8/2012 11:25:16 AM   
elab49

Do you mean Memento? IMO still, by far, Nolan's best film.

Proving, Batspider, fairly conclusively that one can like one Nolan film and not like another. So let's be a little less rude to the fans, yes?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2425
RE: Batman vs very anal thread - 24/8/2012 11:31:18 AM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Do you mean Memento? IMO still, by far, Nolan's best film.

Proving, Batspider, fairly conclusively that one can like one Nolan film and not like another. So let's be a little less rude to the fans, yes?

Yes, Memento, sorry. The Momentum sounds like a DTV Speed rip-off

The Prestige looks interesting, but I fear no movie can live up to its "Batman v Wolverine, refereed by David Bowie" hype

< Message edited by cerebusboy -- 24/8/2012 11:32:10 AM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2426
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/8/2012 11:35:28 AM   
MonsterCat

I have to say that I was never a fan of Memento. And I count myself as a fan of the dude. Maybe being a fan of him means I can't see through the bullshit he's selling, but hey ho.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 24/8/2012 11:39:24 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2427
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/8/2012 12:05:26 PM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

I have to say that I was never a fan of Memento. And I count myself as a fan of the dude. Maybe being a fan of him means I can't see through the bullshit he's selling, but hey ho.

This post makes me sad. My friend is the exact same way, hasn't seen it in ages though, I'm sure a rewatch will change his mind.

Fantastic film, but not his best.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 2428
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 24/8/2012 12:08:41 PM   
MonsterCat

Personally I think Insomnia is his best.

Seems like a total hipster choice, but while I have a genuine fondness for his Batman flicks (especially The Dark Knight), Insomnia is the one Nolan joint I always go back to time and time again.

It contains Pacino's arguably last great performance and Robin Williams is creepy as sin.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 2429
This Thread Needs An Enema! - 24/8/2012 12:25:40 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

quote:

The question about the bikes is a good one - wondered that myself. I suppose the magic of cinema is how they managed to get them through the building. I suppose they could be smuggled through the backdoor.

Again not that big an issue. It was a fun sequence in of itself.

Is it really that big a deal? We see that the LoS have infiltrated everywhere (Project Mayhem style!) so having a few bikes in the basement (or whatever) is pretty small beer by their standards.

Be a lot easier to smuggle a few dirt bikes into the basement of the Gotham Stock Exchange than it would be to "sneak" hundreds of oil drums onto those ferries (and presumably a hospital) in The Dark Knight. Just sayin', like. Like I did in my glowing-yet-curiously-not-uncritical reviews.

Fact is, movies like this seldom ever make any sense. If you're unwilling to suspend your disbelief, that is. Cos if you're prepared to swallow a guy dressed up as a bat (and precious few people ever noticing he's one of The Richest, Most Powerful and, therefore, one of The Most Famous Men In The World!) everything else really is just pointless nitpicking.

So there.

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 24/8/2012 12:26:26 PM >

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2430
Page:   <<   < prev  79 80 [81] 82 83   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: This town needs an enema Page: <<   < prev  79 80 [81] 82 83   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI