Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: This town needs an enema

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: This town needs an enema Page: <<   < prev  78 79 [80] 81 82   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 12:36:27 AM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Renegade

quote:

Site rules are in Empire Online sub-forum. Sexist and offensive language like that isn't welcomed, no.

And as I mentioned already - could you please take the love-in somewhere else. I'm sure I've seen someone repeatedly post complaining the thread wasn't on-topic discussion of TDKR

Sorry . If you could point me in the direction of a thread for general chit chat . I'm new here ..

Click Empire Online - forum.

You get a nice helpful front page.

Go down to Off-Topic.

Find a sub-forum called Mammoth Threads (unless you can think of a topic for the main part to start a thread on - I'll get back to that).

Mammoth threads has the threads that are normally used for more general chat - What Am I thinking, etc. (That said, given it's on off-board relationship I'd suggest PMs or e-mail or twitter or facebook or whereever you normally chat to each other. Unless this chat is a form of public performance? In which case - PMs or e-mail).

To PM on here you can use the handy link on the bottom left hand side of the post of the person you want to PM. The same for e-mail.

To post a thread - you'll find a handy post thread button at the top left hand side of each sub-forum.

If you need any other tips on how basic site-working then have a look round by clicking links and reading. I'm sure you'll do fine  - you found the Dr Who thread without help, after all.

It might be worth telling Renegade to check out that rules list too - seriously, I don't think there's anyone someone could know about all of them without clicking it. For example, one of the rules is about spoilers, but from the Expendables thread I thought that wasn't like a big deal now? Obviously better to err on the safe side, I wish I'd know about the rules earlier.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2371
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 12:37:18 AM   
Hood_Man

I've never read the site rules

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2372
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 12:38:27 AM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

Site rules are in Empire Online sub-forum. Sexist and offensive language like that isn't welcomed, no.

And as I mentioned already - could you please take the love-in somewhere else. I'm sure I've seen someone repeatedly post complaining the thread wasn't on-topic discussion of TDKR

Sorry . If you could point me in the direction of a thread for general chit chat . I'm new here ..

I don't use those threads myself - don't really have the time - but I heard there's posts on things like Scotland that have got up to 1,000 pages!

If you've got a favourite film or something it might be worth googling it in Empire and then checking out the review thread for it. Some of the regulars get grumpy when you comment on old threads, but Elab the mod himself confirmed that there's no rule against it.

Never fails, does it elab?

I'm sorry is Elab a woman - my apologies Elab, I genuinely didn't know, I thought Elab was a dude name similar to Eli Manning or Elijah Wood.

I can see why you might have been especially offended by hoe too - again, my apologies, won't happen again.

Thereby demonstrating the problem with the word. It isn't just offensive to women, but if you think there's a problem saying it in front of a woman? Then there's a problem with the word.

Bastard is uni-sex anyway - women can be as well.

No, because isn't a degree of offensiveness in the eye (or ear) of the beholder? If I say something that I don't think is offensive then can I not be at fault if someone says that it is? Again, I do not think "hoe" is intrinsically sexist.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2373
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 12:39:44 AM   
The Renegade

quote:

quote:

quote:

Go down to Off-Topic.

Find a sub-forum called Mammoth Threads (unless you can think of a topic for the main part to start a thread on - I'll get back to that).

Mammoth threads has the threads that are normally used for more general chat - What Am I thinking, etc. (That said, given it's on off-board relationship I'd suggest PMs or e-mail or twitter or facebook or whereever you normally chat to each other. Unless this chat is a form of public performance? In which case - PMs or e-mail).

To PM on here you can use the handy link on the bottom left hand side of the post of the person you want to PM. The same for e-mail.

To post a thread - you'll find a handy post thread button at the top left hand side of each sub-forum.

If you need any other tips on how basic site-working then have a look round by clicking links and reading. I'm sure you'll do fine  - you found the Dr Who thread without help, after all.

quote:

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=1440381&mpage=792

Thanks. It's never easy being the new kid on the block.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2374
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 12:40:07 AM   
cerebusboy

quote:

I also used the example of "Dick". You'd agree that there are some words, comparable to b---- or h-- that are generally used in reference to men (do women get called d--------?) and that could be argued to be reductive generalisations about the whole group?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2375
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 12:43:17 AM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't use those threads myself - don't really have the time - but I heard there's posts on things like Scotland that have got up to 1,000 pages!

If you've got a favourite film or something it might be worth googling it in Empire and then checking out the review thread for it. Some of the regulars get grumpy when you comment on old threads, but Elab the mod himself confirmed that there's no rule against it.

I'm sorry is Elab a woman - my apologies Elab, I genuinely didn't know, I thought Elab was a dude name similar to Eli Manning or Elijah Wood.

I can see why you might have been especially offended by hoe too - again, my apologies, won't happen again.

Thereby demonstrating the problem with the word. It isn't just offensive to women, but if you think there's a problem saying it in front of a woman? Then there's a problem with the word.

And isn't context all? I have female friends who I can call ''hoe'' as they would interpret it as being rich with irony, the joke being on geeky me pretending to be a rapstar with "hoes" when I'm really closer to being "one of the girls". If some women, overhearing the conversation, got offended then would it be hypocrtical to apologise? I don't think saying 'Fuck' is wrong, but I don't want to be one of those evils scumbag student types who think swearing in front of kids is cool because if a word is not necessarily wrong it's "therefore" acceptable for each and every context.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2376
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 12:44:17 AM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Go down to Off-Topic.

It might be worth telling Renegade to check out that rules list too - seriously, I don't think there's anyone someone could know about all of them without clicking it. For example, one of the rules is about spoilers, but from the Expendables thread I thought that wasn't like a big deal now? Obviously better to err on the safe side, I wish I'd know about the rules earlier.

Review threads aren't bound by quite the same spoiler rules. If you're in the review thread for the film being discussed then there is an expectation you should know what you're getting into - it exists to review and discuss the film.

BUT referring to another film within a review requires a spoiler warning. Referring to any film or TV show outwith the relevant thread requires a spoiler warning.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2377
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 12:45:36 AM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, because isn't a degree of offensiveness in the eye (or ear) of the beholder? If I say something that I don't think is offensive then can I not be at fault if someone says that it is? Again, I do not think "hoe" is intrinsically sexist.

No, the degree of offensiveness is on the rule of the site. What Nuts might allow, Empire does not.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2378
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 12:46:43 AM   
chris kilby

quote:

Fair enough. Although after the night of the long knives I had yesterday, I've been enjoying a bit of luuuuurve...

(Fair do's an' all, though. Ah've bin bustin' ma hump tryin' tae steer this thread back onto the subject of The Dark Knight Rises since ah goat here - pg. 39! Why do you think I absconded to the Batman Begins and Dark Knight review threads instead? And look where that got me. Imagine having the temerity to post film reviews on film review threads! How jumped-up can you get...? )

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 23/8/2012 12:47:51 AM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2379
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 12:47:16 AM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

I also used the example of "Dick". You'd agree that there are some words, comparable to b---- or h-- that are generally used in reference to men (do women get called d--------?) and that could be argued to be reductive generalisations about the whole group?

No, I don't. And 'dick' is not prohibited absolutely. I could call you a dick - but whether I was breaking the rules would be context. If I was being rude and offensive, I'd be breaking the rules. If it was part of a fun general chat and I knew you better, it wouldn't.

quote:

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2380
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 12:48:42 AM   
elab49

And this will be the last rule update in this thread no matter how ridiculous the attempts to get it to continue. If you have any queries on the rules take them to PM and we'll keep the posts out of here to try and tidy up the thread a bit. The last few pages will have made it all but useless for most users.

Edit - as I said - this post marks an end to this in this thread.  

< Message edited by elab49 -- 23/8/2012 12:52:16 AM >

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2381
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 12:56:30 AM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

quote:

Fair enough. Although after the night of the long knives I had yesterday, I've been enjoying a bit of luuuuurve...

(Fair do's an' all, though. Ah've bin bustin' ma hump tryin' tae steer this thread back onto the subject of The Dark Knight Rises since ah goat here - pg. 39! Why do you think I absconded to the Batman Begins and Dark Knight review threads instead? And look where that got me. Imagine having the temerity to post film reviews on film review threads! How jumped-up can you get...? )

Hey, if you're that desperate we can go back to discussing the cops down the sewers!

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 2382
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 12:58:51 AM   
cerebusboy

quote:

And as I mentioned already - could you please take the love-in somewhere else.

Brokeback Mountain thread?
j/k I'd love some more DKR discussion, but as Chris says it's hard to find the people who'll contribute to good on-topic discussion.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2383
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 6:51:07 AM   
elab49

I'm sorry but that's just the way it rolls on a website. And if there aren't enough people that bothered about talkng about TDKR here, I'm sure there are elsewhere.

This thread still exists for people yet to see the film, to watch or re-watch on DVD etc. It doesn't give an excuse for thread derailment.

quote:

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2384
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 10:26:47 AM   
cerebusboy

quote:

I'm sorry but that's just the way it rolls on a website. And if there aren't enough people that bothered about talkng about TDKR here, I'm sure there are elsewhere.

This thread still exists for people yet to see the film, to watch or re-watch on DVD etc. It doesn't give an excuse for thread derailment.

I'm not saying it does! But, I'm pretty sure that if you added up all the DKR-relevant, 100% on topic posts on this thread me and Chris would have it more than anyone else, which makes it unfair to accuse us of derailment (and I'm sure some wag could alternatively posit that something needs to be "railed" before it can be derailed!)

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2385
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 11:01:16 AM   
elab49

We don't give out brownie points to allow down the road rule breaches

quote:

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2386
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 11:05:52 AM   
Rgirvan44

The irony that this discussion has now gone on for several pages and derailed the thread is not going unnoticed I am sure....

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2387
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 11:06:40 AM   
cerebusboy

quote:

We don't give out brownie points to allow down the road rule breaches

I'm not claiming you should. Check out The Dark Knight thread. Chris posts a big, on-topic review that gets a TLDR from a mod (!), some personal attacks and condescension etc from Prophet of Doom, some in-jokes and so on. My point is that if you're reasserting the objective rules that apply to everyone it's a bit curious that myself and Chris seem to be the one posited as running afoul of them, when, if you're understanding On topic/off topic as something like a signal to noise ratio, we're both doing ok.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2388
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 11:08:51 AM   
cerebusboy

quote:

The irony that this discussion has now gone on for several pages and derailed the thread is not going unnoticed I am sure....

I do not consider mod intervention to be just derailed discussion. And the thread had died before springing back to life, which is hardly characteristic of an on topic thread being derailed. Hood himself said he's never read the rules! I don't see how a mod reasserting rules and so on can be considered pejoratively derailing. For example,if Elab had said that big quoting isn't allowed then I would have of course complied completely ASAP.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 2389
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 11:11:51 AM   
Rgirvan44

How about you just read the rules and then thats that?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2390
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 11:12:16 AM   
cerebusboy

quote:

No offence Rgirvan, but is that not a bit "boy who cried wolf"? People made the same claim when Chris showed up at page 39 (i.e. ages ago) , when Fluke and me starting discussing the cops down the sewer, and so on. More than a few people objected to the thread still existing in any form once it got to the length of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. These hardly support the contention that it is a solid thread being suddenly derailed in the past few pages.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 2391
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 11:17:40 AM   
Rgirvan44

The question about the bikes is a good one - wondered that myself. I suppose the magic of cinema is how they managed to get them through the building. I suppose they could be smuggled through the backdoor.

Again not that big an issue. It was a fun sequence in of itself.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2392
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 11:18:36 AM   
cerebusboy

quote:

I've done so, but I was talking about the rules in the context of Renegade. He's just in the door, only a couple of posts, and he's already getting hassle from some Private Members Club types. I was doing him a favour by pointing out that it would be a good idea for a mod to recommend the rules. I wish someone had done that to me earlier.

I'd certainly welcome lots more on topic DKR discussion, but I got the impression you feel that the conversation's gone on on this thread long enough?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 2393
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 11:19:45 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

I've done so, but I was talking about the rules in the context of Renegade. He's just in the door, only a couple of posts, and he's already getting hassle from some Private Members Club types. I was doing him a favour by pointing out that it would be a good idea for a mod to recommend the rules. I wish someone had done that to me earlier.

I'd certainly welcome lots more on topic DKR discussion, but I got the impression you feel that the conversation's gone on on this thread long enough?

You are very good at this, I will grant you that.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2394
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 11:20:04 AM   
cerebusboy

quote:

The question about the bikes is a good one - wondered that myself. I suppose the magic of cinema is how they managed to get them through the building. I suppose they could be smuggled through the backdoor.

Is it really that big a deal? We see that the LoS have infiltrated everywhere (Project Mayhem style!) so having a few bikes in the basement (or whatever) is pretty small beer by their standards.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 2395
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 11:20:46 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

Is it really that big a deal? We see that the LoS have infiltrated everywhere (Project Mayhem style!) so having a few bikes in the basement (or whatever) is pretty small beer by their standards.

Did you see the bit where I said it isn't that big a deal? I agree with you.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2396
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 11:22:24 AM   
superdan

quote:

quote:

I've done so, but I was talking about the rules in the context of Renegade. He's just in the door, only a couple of posts, and he's already getting hassle from some Private Members Club types.

To be fair, his first few posts were deliberately antagonistic.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2397
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 11:30:54 AM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

quote:

I've done so, but I was talking about the rules in the context of Renegade. He's just in the door, only a couple of posts, and he's already getting hassle from some Private Members Club types.

To be fair, his first few posts were deliberately antagonistic.

They were perceived to be, but I think it's a bit rum to assume that newbies are necessarily trying to wind people up when they just might be testing and seeing what kind of tone, level of humour and so on is welcome here.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 2398
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 11:34:17 AM   
elab49

That's simply complete nonsense. You do not test a forum by quoting post after post by someone and make a snide comment. You read the damn forum.

quote:

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2399
RE: This town needs an enema - 23/8/2012 11:38:51 AM   
cerebusboy

quote:

That's simply complete nonsense. You do not test a forum by quoting post after post by someone and make a snide comment. You read the damn forum.

The Dark Knight thread would lead a newbie to believe that comments that could be perceived as snide, in and of themselves, are not exactly banned on this forum. Hood has been here for years and hasn't read the rules.

In any case, I'm saying that if they WERE needlessly antagonistic then perhaps it could be an innocent mistake, NOT that needlessly antagonistic messages are perfectly acceptable.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2400
Page:   <<   < prev  78 79 [80] 81 82   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: This town needs an enema Page: <<   < prev  78 79 [80] 81 82   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI