Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: This town needs an enema

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: This town needs an enema Page: <<   < prev  75 76 [77] 78 79   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: This town needs an enema - 22/8/2012 2:27:56 AM   
Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatSpider

Saw it last night only on account of there being nothing else at the cinema. I dislike Nolan's entire output, but tried to keep an open mind. And still ended up thinking it sucks the big one. Nolan may be good at throwing layers of shit on top of shit to disguise how deeply ponderous his movies are, but he wouldn't know style if it bit him on the a$$. True passion needs a lighter touch, not the stale cheese Nolan's been shoving down our throats. Some of us can see through it. He and his gimp-voiced Batman can fuck off now, and stay fucked off.

Yup, you definitely approached it with an open mind.

I think if we combined your opinions of TDKR, took the mean result, then we'd have an accurate, objective opinion

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 2281
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/8/2012 9:22:28 AM   
MonsterCat

Maybe I'm being my usual over sensitive self, but I get the feeling that this...

quote:

True passion needs a lighter touch, not the stale cheese Nolan's been shoving down our throats. Some of us can see through it.

...means that those who like the film are the blind to the fact that it's actually crap, and only people like him are smart and perceptive enough to figure this out.

Classy as always.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 22/8/2012 9:24:32 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Prophet_of_Doom)
Post #: 2282
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/8/2012 10:12:21 AM   
princessa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prophet_of_Doom

Right, so you want to get rid of the antagonist and the love interest? And personally I thought JGL was the best thing in it - agree about Modine though. He's aged, but still has the same voice that he had in his teens which is a bit odd.

I have had time to think about my review and i feel that they should have made Marians part bigger and cut out Catwoman, who I did not feel was necessary. Marians plot twist was good but her role was too small for it to make much of an impact.

I liked GL but could have done without Matthew Modine's character.

I guess what i mean't was that there were so many characters and too many plot strands. Sometimes less is more.

I just want to add that although i enjoyed the movie i feel that the plot was weak in certain places; some of the plot twists just didn't work for me.

Post #: 2283
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/8/2012 11:27:24 AM   
Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

ORIGINAL: princessa

quote:

Right, so you want to get rid of the antagonist and the love interest? And personally I thought JGL was the best thing in it - agree about Modine though. He's aged, but still has the same voice that he had in his teens which is a bit odd.

I have had time to think about my review and i feel that they should have made Marians part bigger and cut out Catwoman, who I did not feel was necessary. Marians plot twist was good but her role was too small for it to make much of an impact.

I liked GL but could have done without Matthew Modine's character.

I guess what i mean't was that there were so many characters and too many plot strands. Sometimes less is more.

I just want to add that although i enjoyed the movie i feel that the plot was weak in certain places; some of the plot twists just didn't work for me.

I think all fair points. I think Catwoman was necessary just to bring some much needed levity to proceedings and of course to tie up with the cutesy ending.

Nolan seems to like his plethora of characters and their various threads but, dare I say it, I think it both disguises a multitude of sins, while also adding to the weaknesses.

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 2284
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/8/2012 1:44:37 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: princessa

i really enjoyed this. Loved the action sequences. Although i feel there were way too many supporting characters - Gordan Levitt, Catwoman, Matthew Modine, Mariam Cottiard...

It would have worked better with fewer supporting cast. I loved Anne Hathaway as Catwoman i am not sure she was necessary; neither was Mariam who was hardly in it.

Still it was a good movie even though i didn't enjoy some of the plot twists.

Yeah princessa don't you know that Prophet of Doom knows all about screenwriting 101 and has intimate knowledge of how Hollywood's "leading writers and directors" write their stories!!! Ergo his "objective opinion" (!!!) is right and yours is pure wrong!! We can but hear, obey and listen to this David Thomson-esque Dispenser of Wisdom in our midst

Post #: 2285
RE: This town needs an enema - 22/8/2012 1:47:05 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Saw it last night only on account of there being nothing else at the cinema. I dislike Nolan's entire output, but tried to keep an open mind. And still ended up thinking it sucks the big one. Nolan may be good at throwing layers of shit on top of shit to disguise how deeply ponderous his movies are, but he wouldn't know style if it bit him on the a$$. True passion needs a lighter touch, not the stale cheese Nolan's been shoving down our throats. Some of us can see through it. He and his gimp-voiced Batman can fuck off now, and stay fucked off.

I think if we combined your opinions of TDKR, took the mean result, then we'd have an accurate, objective opinion

It's a shame that Prophet, although he deigns to educate us proles with nuggests of Revealed Truth on the Three Act Structure and how "Hollywood's leading writers and directors" create their stories, doesn't share more details of the Big Book of Accurate Objective Opinions. Just think how much time we'd save on these review threads!

Post #: 2286
RE: This town needs an enema - 22/8/2012 1:48:23 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

Yo Chris where you been? I thought something terrible had happened, like you'd been in an accident or got a life or something

Post #: 2287
RE: This town needs an enema - 22/8/2012 1:52:41 PM   
Prophet_of_Doom

I'm assuming cerebusboy couldn't resist making some snide comment. Ah, if only all trolls could be blocked so easily.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2288
RE: This town needs an enema - 22/8/2012 1:54:43 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

I'm assuming cerebusboy couldn't resist making some snide comment. Ah, if only all trolls could be blocked so easily.

Ah, if only arrogant arseholes - who are also trolls - remember that ''public'' is exactly that. Although we're all eagerly awaiting your Hadith-style Big Book of Objective Opinions.

Post #: 2289
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/8/2012 1:57:46 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

I think all fair points. I think Catwoman was necessary just to bring some much needed levity to proceedings and of course to tie up with the cutesy ending.

Why, us regular folks will remember Nolan noting (in Empire) that Catwoman was included as they were trying to give a full account of the Batman mythos which she is an intrinsic, necessary part of. But presumably, as someone who has intimate knowledge of how "Hollywood's leading actors and directors" create their stories you know better? Why not phone up your good pal Chris Nolan and spill some more details on Catwoman's inclusion and her purpose in the story? Us proles are but lost, ignorant requiring a Prophet both by name and nature... Enlighten us, we beg you!!

Post #: 2290
RE: This town needs an enema - 22/8/2012 1:59:40 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

And 'snide'? If you check I've had loads of on-topic factual points on this thread. Compare and contrast with arrogant arsehole you (Prophet indeed!) expounding on supposed 'Rules' (!) whilst displaying the sort of presuppositions that would get one laughed out of first year undergraduate lit crit. But hey, I don't know "Hollywood's leading writers and directors"

Post #: 2291
RE: This town needs an enema - 22/8/2012 2:01:12 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

Tangentially, I'm assuming that if ''Troll'' ad hom is acceptable then so are other varieties of it. But my apologies in advance if I'm wrong. But of course it's obviously highly unlikely that this Prophet in our midst, pal of "Hollywood's leading writers and directors" would be wrong about something. One might as well take issue with Papal Infallibility.

Post #: 2292
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/8/2012 2:01:31 PM   
Prophet_of_Doom

Sorry Mods, as I'm sure you can see I'm not instigating this. Through the block wall of silence I can feel the impotent rage from here.

*PS If none of CB's messages are actually directed at me (which I very much doubt) then I will feel rightly stupid. But that's not the case, is it?

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2293
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/8/2012 2:03:36 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

Sorry Mods, as I'm sure you can see I'm not instigating this. Through the block wall of silence I can feel the impotent rage from here.

*PS If none of CB's messages are actually directed at me (which I very much doubt) then I will feel rightly stupid. But that's not the case, is it?

Hey mods, any chance you could guide as back into a discussion of Dark Knight Rises? After all, I'm sure you'll note that I've posted hundred of on-topic posts on this thread which contrasts markedly with Prophet's "contribution"?

Oh and if Prophet's behaviour is acceptable because "Troll"-baiting isn't trolling, then hopefully I warrant the same protection? Thanks!

< Message edited by cerebusboy -- 22/8/2012 2:05:41 PM >

Post #: 2294
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/8/2012 2:04:38 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

*PS If none of CB's messages are actually directed at me (which I very much doubt) then I will feel rightly stupid.

Hey, if you want to feel "rightly stupid" anyway, don't let me stop you. About time!

Post #: 2295
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/8/2012 2:14:10 PM   
AxlReznor

And I thought this thread was bad last week.

Unlike some people CB, I don't disagree with everything you say, but for the love of God, man! If you have more than one point to make about one post do it in the same post for the sanity of all. If you think of something else to say after you've already posted there's an edit function.

As for so-called "rules" of filmmaking, I would suggest it's no different the rules of music. First you learn them, and how to implement them properly... then you can break them spectacularly to create something different. If it were impossible to break these rules, we wouldn't have the likes of Memento or Pulp Fiction... or even Rashomon for that matter. Not looking through the pages and pages to find what you were actually arguing about, but I assume it was something to that effect, with presumably some link to The Dark Knight Rises somewhere.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2296
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/8/2012 2:15:52 PM   
cerebusboy

Point taken, my apologies. At least we're no longer discussing cops down the sewer (glad Fluke finally realised I was right!)

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 2297
RE: This town needs an enema - 22/8/2012 2:15:59 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: cerebusboy

quote:

And 'snide'? If you check I've had loads of on-topic factual points on this thread. Compare and contrast with arrogant arsehole you (Prophet indeed!) expounding on supposed 'Rules' (!) whilst displaying the sort of presuppositions that would get one laughed out of first year undergraduate lit crit. But hey, I don't know "Hollywood's leading writers and directors"

Talking of rules, you do realise personal attacks on other members are against forum rules right?

Also, as you've been blocked, PoD can't actually read your posts so you're just playing to the gallery here, and looking like a prize berk while you do so.

With any luck this will be strike 3 and you're bounced out of here. Your unpleasant demeanor and endless stream of drivel won't be missed by many I feel.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2298
RE: This town needs an enema - 22/8/2012 2:17:27 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

Talking of rules, you do realise personal attacks on other members are against forum rules right?

Also, as you've been blocked, PoD can't actually read your posts so you're just playing to the gallery here, and looking like a prize berk while you do so.

With any luck this will be strike 3 and you're bounced out of here. Your unpleasant demeanor and endless stream of drivel won't be missed by many I feel.

I was told that calling someone a "Troll" was ad hom and so a personal attack.

Reasonable adjustment clause of the Disability Discrimination Act.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 2299
RE: This town needs an enema - 22/8/2012 2:18:58 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

*draws bath, looks for razor, Frank Pentangeli style *

Post #: 2300
RE: This town needs an enema - 22/8/2012 2:37:28 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Actually, this is better. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_saUN4j7Gw

Goodbye and, I'm sure, good riddance. It's been "emotional"

Post #: 2301
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/8/2012 2:40:31 PM   
cerebusboy

Sorry dude, duly noted. Sockpuppets...................assemble!

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 2302
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/8/2012 2:49:31 PM   
Dirk Miggler

Stick it in one post FFS, fckin threads a bitch to read !

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2303
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/8/2012 5:17:06 PM   
Beetlejuice!

Back on track, I loved the film!

I wasn't as blown away as I was with the previous film but I think looking at the series as a whole now it's a very impressive 5 star trilogy. A brilliant achievement. The story took a little while to get started in this one but when it did it was fantastic. I thought JGL was very good as was Bale who has really carved the role well.

A fantastic film to see at the cinema!

P.S. I do think the film should have acknowledged the Joker in some way because every other previous character from the series seems to get mentioned.

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 2304
RE: This town needs an enema - 22/8/2012 10:36:25 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yo Chris where you been? I thought something terrible had happened, like you'd been in an accident or got a life or something

Sorry. I was busy inadvertently upsetting the unusual suspects with my belated (very belated) reviews of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. I had no idea that posting film reviews on the review threads of a dedicated film website (the website of "The World's BIGGEST Film Magazine," no less) was so controversial. Go figure. There's nowt as queer as fandom...

PS: Something terrible did happen. But... I... I... Don't want to talk about it. * sniff *

(Some nasty boys tried to gang up on me. You really have no idea how traumatic I found the whole experience. I haven't slept for days... )

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 22/8/2012 10:42:07 PM >

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 2305
RE: This town needs an enema - 22/8/2012 10:40:58 PM   
MonsterCat

That Batman Begins review was a fun read.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 2306
RE: This town needs an enema - 22/8/2012 11:14:17 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

That Batman Begins review was a long read.

Fixed that for you.

(Thanks, BTW. )

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 2307
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 22/8/2012 11:16:41 PM   
chris kilby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirk Miggler

Stick it in one post FFS, fckin threads a bitch to read !

Wait till you read my Dark Knight review. I recommend a sleeping bag, snacks and regular toilet breaks.

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 2308
RE: This town needs an enema - 22/8/2012 11:17:54 PM   
The Renegade

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sorry. I was busy inadvertently upsetting the unusual suspects with my belated (very belated) reviews of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. I had no idea that posting film reviews on the review threads of a dedicated film website (the website of "The World's BIGGEST Film Magazine," no less) was so controversial. Go figure. There's nowt as queer as fandom...

PS: Something terrible did happen. But... I... I... Don't want to talk about it. * sniff *

(Some nasty boys tried to gang up on me. You really have no idea how traumatic I found the whole experience. I haven't slept for days... )

Hi Sweetie. Do you want a hug ? Jeepers ! I thought Doctor Who forums were mental..

Post #: 2309
RE: This town needs an enema - 22/8/2012 11:25:14 PM   
elab49

It might help to know we have a Private Messaging system for private woes and dramas. Or even various threads in Off Topics - Mammoth Threads. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to The Renegade)
Post #: 2310
Page:   <<   < prev  75 76 [77] 78 79   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: This town needs an enema Page: <<   < prev  75 76 [77] 78 79   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI