Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: More Right Wing Bat Politics

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: More Right Wing Bat Politics Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: More Right Wing Bat Politics - 17/7/2012 6:38:08 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: fiercehairdo

I was thinking more of Batman deliberately breaking Maroney's legs. That got the desired result. And Batman didn't even ask a question first. He asked after. That seemed to endorse torture as a tactic. It's OK to break legs to get info if you know that guy is a wrong'n... In real life torture doesn't work and is morally wrong in every way. My personal view, but I think one shared by Amnesty, Liberty etc...
But I don't want to get off onto a TDK discussion here - It is a TDKR thread after all. My initial post was simply to express disappointment that TDKR seems to be more of the same. The Guardian article articulates it quite well I think.

Yeah, but the whole thing about the Joker is that he's a master troll who delights in pushing people to their limits, making them do things they wouldn't normally do and generally bringing characters like Dent and Bats down to his level. The scene you just outlined illustrates just how far Joker is pushing Bats to do nasty things to guys like Maroney.

I never got the feeling that the flick was explicitly endorsing torture techniques.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to fiercehairdo)
Post #: 151
RE: More Right Wing Bat Politics - 17/7/2012 7:28:50 PM   
GreenLightLuke

The closer I get to the release date of this film, the more panicky I get about spoilers. I cannot wait for this film, don't care for political undertones however.

Waited four years for this film, guarantee I'll need to bring tissues. Over-whelmingly positive reviews are making me very happy and I do love the review that EMPIRE gave - no spoilers (hurrah!)

9am Vue Cinemas, Carlisle - first showing. Sadly no IMAX, will have to travel for that!

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 152
RE: dark night indeed - 17/7/2012 7:51:07 PM   
Hood_Man

Some of these guys must be Warner Bros plants, we're just taking part in an elaborate, interactive viral marketing scheme. Show me a better way of getting more excited for a film than this
Post #: 153
RE: dark night indeed - 17/7/2012 7:53:00 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Musicals

Alright people-really this has gone too far. A long.long time ago two producers came up with the idea of making a full-length featue film version of the super-hero known as "Superman" Now because that movie was a succss we have "serious" comic book heros all over the cinema. We even have the name of the comic in the title as in "Marvel Presents" ..
But look here is the thing; sorry but however well they may be filmed and at what expense these films remain -or should do- kid'stuff. Oh sure as with the so called "Video Games" you can make them dark,violent and nasty but well, you could do that with an Enid Blyton story too-still it would remain at base children's material gussied up for immature adults.
Because this is what Hollywood is selling and what millions of mentally retarded people are buying. Endless wishful thinking pieces of garbage in which all our problems are solved by super heroes with fantasy powers.
Please people grow up. Life is not like that; ask any President or Prime Minister. Where were these Super people during the Second World War? Or 9/11?
Right now we are on our third go-round with some of these guys and it is getting downright silly how many people are prepared to buy old stuff in n ew boxes. For the record the above movie is about "Batman" Remember him? How in heaven's name being American he became a "Knight" beats me! And soon we are getting "The Man Of Steel" hmm..wonder who he can be?
The really ridiculous thing though is that "Empire" terrified to scare off it's fan readership has treated the movie as if it were a classic of some sort. Well..maybe but somehow,mercifully, I cannot see this getting much of a mention during the "Awards Season"
Ah yes..those. Thank god this summer's usual cache of super rubbish will soon be over and those of us who like to actually have to think whilst watching a movie will get out turn again!

Difficult to see where this doesn't tip over to trolling rather than a constructive post - it certainly has no contribution to either review or discussion of this film. I'm sure there are other avenues for this kind of vent?

Also - awards season & hobbits. Go figure

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome
Post #: 154
RE: More Right Wing Bat Politics - 17/7/2012 7:56:02 PM   
Lazarus munkey

One of the main themes of TDK is questioning how far Batman will go, the Joker even taunts him with the, "break your one rule" jibe. This would be meaningless if Batman hadn't already stretched his moral code because of the severity of the situation.
Eight years in exile, losing the woman he loves and seeing 'the best of us' turn evil. I can't see this as an endorsement of some of the tactics used. Instead, I see this as it is in real life, incredibly complicated. And it's to Nolan's credit that it's tackled as such and not given the tidy, pat conclusions that Hollywood usually insists on spoonfeeding us.

If, to qualify as a 'Nolan fanboy', one needs to appreciate the work of a director who steadfastly refuses to patronise his audience and has yet to make even an average film (IMO, before anyone starts), then I'll happily join the ranks.
Besides, at my age, I don't get called 'boy' very often.

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to GreenLightLuke)
Post #: 155
RE: dark night indeed - 17/7/2012 7:58:05 PM   
Lazarus munkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Musicals

Alright people-really this has gone too far. A long.long time ago two producers came up with the idea of making a full-length featue film version of the super-hero known as "Superman" Now because that movie was a succss we have "serious" comic book heros all over the cinema. We even have the name of the comic in the title as in "Marvel Presents" ..
But look here is the thing; sorry but however well they may be filmed and at what expense these films remain -or should do- kid'stuff. Oh sure as with the so called "Video Games" you can make them dark,violent and nasty but well, you could do that with an Enid Blyton story too-still it would remain at base children's material gussied up for immature adults.
Because this is what Hollywood is selling and what millions of mentally retarded people are buying. Endless wishful thinking pieces of garbage in which all our problems are solved by super heroes with fantasy powers.
Please people grow up. Life is not like that; ask any President or Prime Minister. Where were these Super people during the Second World War? Or 9/11?
Right now we are on our third go-round with some of these guys and it is getting downright silly how many people are prepared to buy old stuff in n ew boxes. For the record the above movie is about "Batman" Remember him? How in heaven's name being American he became a "Knight" beats me! And soon we are getting "The Man Of Steel" hmm..wonder who he can be?
The really ridiculous thing though is that "Empire" terrified to scare off it's fan readership has treated the movie as if it were a classic of some sort. Well..maybe but somehow,mercifully, I cannot see this getting much of a mention during the "Awards Season"
Ah yes..those. Thank god this summer's usual cache of super rubbish will soon be over and those of us who like to actually have to think whilst watching a movie will get out turn again!

We're beneath you, methinks.

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5
Post #: 156
RE: dark night indeed - 17/7/2012 7:59:21 PM   
superdan

Musicals wins the award for daftest post yet.

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 157
RE: More Right Wing Bat Politics - 17/7/2012 8:00:04 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lazarus munkey

You get called pre-teen?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 158
The Dark Knight Rises - 17/7/2012 8:01:27 PM   
Lazarus munkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lazarus munkey

You get called pre-teen?

Depends on my login details.

< Message edited by Lazarus munkey -- 17/7/2012 8:03:23 PM >

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 159
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 17/7/2012 8:10:55 PM   
Deviation

Is this your way of introducing yourself to other pre-teens?

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

Post #: 160
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 17/7/2012 8:12:27 PM   
Lazarus munkey

quote:

Is this your way of introducing yourself to other pre-teens?

Yes. Are you cruising?

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 161
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 17/7/2012 8:13:38 PM   
Deviation

I'm actually investigating, you sound suspicious, very suspicious.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 162
RE: RE: - 17/7/2012 8:17:40 PM   
Alistair

quote:

Why can't a film from a comic book be 'high art'? If it appears to pretend to that type of thing it's only fair to judge it on that, surely? Not all comic books are for kids and some of these characters were born out of real world issues. Different runs of different comics do different things.

To suggest it should have a get-out clause from serious criticism if the attempt is to make a serious film is pretty condescending towards the writers and filmmakers.

Fair point. I suppose my point was more aimed towards critics who expect a little too much from films these days. To give this further explanation, I mean this: These Batman films are EXTRAORDINARY films. Better than many could ever have hoped (especially considering the films that came before), so I was just a making a point that critics, maybe, are a little too critical sometimes. I suppose that sounds stupid but you get the idea of what I'm trying to say.

< Message edited by Alistair -- 17/7/2012 8:18:19 PM >

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 163
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 17/7/2012 8:30:23 PM   
Lazarus munkey

quote:

I'm actually investigating, you sound suspicious, very suspicious.

You got nuttin' and the cops got nuttin'.

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 164
RE: More Right Wing Bat Politics - 17/7/2012 8:33:57 PM   
Alistair

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob
As for the Dark Knight though, and as Girv says, it's not an endorsement as much as it is a comment. It's also pretty balanced in my opinion. Fox states that the technology is wrong and is too powerful for one man and ultimately destroys it.

I believe that it's Bruce who destroys it, isn't it? He asks Fox to type in his name in order for the computer to self-destruct.

Bruce is well aware that what he's doing is completely wrong, but the end result did justify the means as he found the Joker and that's all he wanted it for. It's still very wrong, but at least Bruce recognised that fact,

< Message edited by Alistair -- 17/7/2012 8:34:29 PM >

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 165
RE: dark night indeed - 17/7/2012 10:02:37 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

Yes. Total stream of consciousness bobbins...

< Message edited by clownfoot -- 17/7/2012 10:08:16 PM >

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 166
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 18/7/2012 12:41:40 AM   
paul_ie86

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

OK, I'm sure this post is gonna get the Nolan fanboy's foaming at the mouth but it has to be said...

Read this short article which sums up Nolan's Bat Franchise strong tendency to endorse very iffy Right-Wing politics: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2012/jul/17/dark-knight-rises-capitalist-superhero

I completely agree with this piece.

The truth is, The Dark Knight endorsed torture, Extraordinary Rendition, phone-tapping and mass invasion of privacy by the film's 'hero'. It endorsed suspending peoples rights in the cause of fighting terrorism. In other words it endorsed the fascistic neo-con right wing politics of Bush, Cheney et al.

The Dark Knight Rises portrays the Billionaire as the good guy, imposing his will on the anarchic masses (read Occupy movement) who are in fact in thrall to criminal thugs like Bane. Anyone watching the news lately cannot have failed to have notice that in reality the billionaires (Murdoch, Diamond etc) of the world rarely are operating for the wider good and the protesting masses (Occupy movement) very often have justice and moral good on their side. TDKR inverts this view to billionaires good, protesting masses bad.

In other words it just continues and emphasises the deeply retrograde, conservative, right wing politics of the previous film.

Yes they are very slick, quite exciting and stylish films. BUT if we are going to take them seriously as great movies please lets not ignore the wider message of the films: that human rights and laws can be suspended by the wealthy if they believe what they do is right; that vigilante action is justifiable; that torturers are heroes when operating with the right intentions; that capitalist wealth domination is a force for good and movements like Occupy need to be suppressed. A pretty depressing agenda in my view.

I know many are going to reply "it's just a fantasy; it's just a film about a man dressed as a bat - don't take it too seriously". But frankly those same people are often the ones comparing these films to The Godfather and Citizen Kane - are we taking them seriously or not??? Indeed Nolan and his collaborators seem to be taking it VERY seriously hence the portentous tone of the franchise. If it is a masterpiece as people claim it should be seriously examined, and if it is ultimately pushing a very conservative agenda on audiences under the disguise of stunning action and various bat-gadgets well that needs exposing. Especially since the mass love-in of Nolan has now got completely out of hand.

Bring on the attacks...

It doesn't endorse all of them.

Batman beats the Joker up and it amounts to nothing.
Batman uses the sonic technology but Fox stands up to him.

The movie isn't about endorsement  - it is about what are the limits people are willing to go to protect their society. Nolan tests the various ideas that underpinned the War on Terror. In some instances it works,  in most it doesn't. It is hardly an endorsement of the Bush culture but rather a mirror to it. Big difference.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in the 1989 Batman didn't he bomb an entire factory and do much similar stuff to these current films, only difference being the latest films tend to be set against more realistic contemporary backgrounds.
I wonder does fiercehairdo get worked up as much with Michael Moores films and their agenda?

Fox stands up to the phone-tapping thing but it's a pretty empty gesture since he actively collaborated in the rendition of the guy from Hong Kong and most of Batman's other dodgy tactics. The film just wanted to have its cake and eat it - condemn it then indulge in it.

And the Rendition, torture of Maroney and phone-tapping/survellance is shown to work and the presentation of Batman as a hero for using these methods amounts to endorsement. Even his one moral code about not killing is undermined in the end by Batman killing Harvey Dent. Morally, the best that can be said about these films is they are very confused, and the worst that they amount to right-wing propaganda.

And yes of course lots of Hollywood produce is rightwing violent dumbness. But then that stuff isn't usually held up as a masterpiece of art that we should take seriously. I'm just applying the judgement criteria I'd apply to any great work of cinema - look at the deeper meanings and give them due consideration. The more one thinks about these films rather than just revelling in the stylish action, the more they become very questionable.

I have a question. If a film endorses a conservative or right-wing message does that mean that it is automatically a worse film?

< Message edited by paul_ie86 -- 18/7/2012 12:50:40 AM >

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to fiercehairdo)
Post #: 167
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 18/7/2012 1:26:19 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Yes. I hate the fucking Right!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 168
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 18/7/2012 6:58:22 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

OK, I'm sure this post is gonna get the Nolan fanboy's foaming at the mouth but it has to be said...

Read this short article which sums up Nolan's Bat Franchise strong tendency to endorse very iffy Right-Wing politics: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2012/jul/17/dark-knight-rises-capitalist-superhero

I completely agree with this piece.

The truth is, The Dark Knight endorsed torture, Extraordinary Rendition, phone-tapping and mass invasion of privacy by the film's 'hero'. It endorsed suspending peoples rights in the cause of fighting terrorism. In other words it endorsed the fascistic neo-con right wing politics of Bush, Cheney et al.

The Dark Knight Rises portrays the Billionaire as the good guy, imposing his will on the anarchic masses (read Occupy movement) who are in fact in thrall to criminal thugs like Bane. Anyone watching the news lately cannot have failed to have notice that in reality the billionaires (Murdoch, Diamond etc) of the world rarely are operating for the wider good and the protesting masses (Occupy movement) very often have justice and moral good on their side. TDKR inverts this view to billionaires good, protesting masses bad.

In other words it just continues and emphasises the deeply retrograde, conservative, right wing politics of the previous film.

Yes they are very slick, quite exciting and stylish films. BUT if we are going to take them seriously as great movies please lets not ignore the wider message of the films: that human rights and laws can be suspended by the wealthy if they believe what they do is right; that vigilante action is justifiable; that torturers are heroes when operating with the right intentions; that capitalist wealth domination is a force for good and movements like Occupy need to be suppressed. A pretty depressing agenda in my view.

I know many are going to reply "it's just a fantasy; it's just a film about a man dressed as a bat - don't take it too seriously". But frankly those same people are often the ones comparing these films to The Godfather and Citizen Kane - are we taking them seriously or not??? Indeed Nolan and his collaborators seem to be taking it VERY seriously hence the portentous tone of the franchise. If it is a masterpiece as people claim it should be seriously examined, and if it is ultimately pushing a very conservative agenda on audiences under the disguise of stunning action and various bat-gadgets well that needs exposing. Especially since the mass love-in of Nolan has now got completely out of hand.

Bring on the attacks...

It doesn't endorse all of them.

Batman beats the Joker up and it amounts to nothing.
Batman uses the sonic technology but Fox stands up to him.

The movie isn't about endorsement  - it is about what are the limits people are willing to go to protect their society. Nolan tests the various ideas that underpinned the War on Terror. In some instances it works,  in most it doesn't. It is hardly an endorsement of the Bush culture but rather a mirror to it. Big difference.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in the 1989 Batman didn't he bomb an entire factory and do much similar stuff to these current films, only difference being the latest films tend to be set against more realistic contemporary backgrounds.
I wonder does fiercehairdo get worked up as much with Michael Moores films and their agenda?

Fox stands up to the phone-tapping thing but it's a pretty empty gesture since he actively collaborated in the rendition of the guy from Hong Kong and most of Batman's other dodgy tactics. The film just wanted to have its cake and eat it - condemn it then indulge in it.

And the Rendition, torture of Maroney and phone-tapping/survellance is shown to work and the presentation of Batman as a hero for using these methods amounts to endorsement. Even his one moral code about not killing is undermined in the end by Batman killing Harvey Dent. Morally, the best that can be said about these films is they are very confused, and the worst that they amount to right-wing propaganda.

And yes of course lots of Hollywood produce is rightwing violent dumbness. But then that stuff isn't usually held up as a masterpiece of art that we should take seriously. I'm just applying the judgement criteria I'd apply to any great work of cinema - look at the deeper meanings and give them due consideration. The more one thinks about these films rather than just revelling in the stylish action, the more they become very questionable.

I have a question. If a film endorses a conservative or right-wing message does that mean that it is automatically a worse film?

Love for Triumph of the Will says not. I guess people might be concerned about underlying messages making an impression - it is part of the underpinning of the certification side?

Anyhoo - the right don't agree. Well not the entirely sensible Rush Limbaugh - apparently Bane was only chosen to reference Bain, aka an attack on Mitt Romney. In an election year!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 169
RE: dark night indeed - 18/7/2012 6:58:39 AM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

Yes. Total stream of consciousness bobbins...

Not sure you could call that "conciousness"

quote:

I don't think it does, but there are plenty who do. Then again there's plenty would would argue that any perceived left wing/"liberal" message automatically makes a film bad. It can be hard I think to separate your political views from your judgement on a film you're watching. Then again I'm not sure that some may even try.

< Message edited by Scruffybobby -- 18/7/2012 6:59:14 AM >

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 170
RE: RE: - 18/7/2012 8:34:29 AM   
bennyboy1971

But Batman is black.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 171
RE: RE: - 18/7/2012 9:53:49 AM   
porntrooper

I want Musicals to come back and post some more, review threads need crazy talk.

I'm seeing it tonight so will post some thoughts tomorrow. After seeing the Begins/Dark Knight double bill last night, I really hope this one is closer in tone and pace to Begins than to Dark Knight. Whilst Dark Knight is superb, I did feel it drag a little just after the truck chase whereas Begins really flew by and didnt feel like it had any fat on it. I'm not sure if my problems with Dark Knight (they're not really problems in fairness) were due to me having seen it so many times on it's initial cinema and blu ray release, or perhaps due to the fact I was in the cinema for 5.5 hours, but I did notice issues with pace and length. I know Rises is the longest of all three, so I hope Nolan has managed to keep it pacey.

Also, just a quick note on all this 'Right WIng Agenda' bollocks...... why are people suggesting that we need to critique the movies politics just because we dont treat it as a Transformers style brainless blockbuster. Personally, I approach these films as big Summer blockbuster entertainment, in much the same way I do with Avengers, Transformers, Spiderman etc. However, what stands these movies apart from other blockbusters of the Summer is the quality of te film making and the fact that these do treat the audience with a little respect. It does take itself seriously and treats its source material with respect. Artistic choices within the movie (the score, the cinematography, direction, editing, acting, cgi and practical effects work) are all of a really high standard and deserve to be judged and approached as such. And just because people can judge this piece of Summer entertainment as a higher quality than Amazing Spiderman or Transformers, doesnt mean we have to look for political agendas. Just because it's approaching it's comic book source with a degree of realism and art, doesnt mean we have to beleive there is a message of support of rendition or torture. Batman is doing the heroic things he does in the comics, he's taking on the bad guys, he's bringing justice via extraordinary methods, he is acting the hero to save Gotham by doing things ordinary men cant. He's a comic book hero through and through, doing comic book things. Nolan just approached it as a film maker better than anyone else in the industry has so far, thats why he gets the praise he does. I'd argue the only other person to do it successfully is Whedon with Avengers, but via a totally different route.

"I've got an idea for a special infiltration technique. It involves draining a man of his blood and replacing it with Tizer."

(in reply to bennyboy1971)
Post #: 172
RE: Chicken Wing - 18/7/2012 12:31:22 PM   
superdan

Pop freudianism? That's a new one. Look out for it when watching the film that burtbondy must have seen already, prople.
Post #: 173
RE: Chicken Wing - 18/7/2012 12:32:48 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: burtbondy

1% self consumed Nolan lovers.

Do fans often ingnore the inconsistencies , contradictions and laughable plotholes in Nolan's Batman's, this can olso be argued for Inception,(to a higher degree) or are the just to complicated for fanatics to comprehend. Since ive seen comparisons to the Godfather on this thread, im leaning more to the latter. Its gotten out of hand. Is the Avengers up there with 12 Angry Men now?

fiercehairdo hit made some great points and there are many people who feel the same and could level out the reviews from good to average but are beyond arguing with fanatics who shout, sctatch, spit at anybody who is not within the limits of Nolan worship.

The heavy-handed morality , holier than thou attitude and sense of pop freudianism lays waste to my gut. Dont get angry with me now, unless you're telling me i cant have my own views on this subject.

Enjoy the movie prople. I'm out.

Have you seen the film?

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting
Post #: 174
RE: Chicken Wing - 18/7/2012 12:42:26 PM   
burtbondy

Don't let my typo lure you into thinking you're witty. It happens. I didn't calim to see the movie.

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 175
RE: Chicken Wing - 18/7/2012 1:00:14 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

Do fans often ingnore the inconsistencies , contradictions and laughable plotholes in Nolan's Batman's, this can olso be argued for Inception,(to a higher degree) or are the just to complicated for fanatics to comprehend. Since ive seen comparisons to the Godfather on this thread, im leaning more to the latter. Its gotten out of hand. Is the Avengers up there with 12 Angry Men now?

fiercehairdo hit made some great points and there are many people who feel the same and could level out the reviews from good to average but are beyond arguing with fanatics who shout, sctatch, spit at anybody who is not within the limits of Nolan worship.

The heavy-handed morality , holier than thou attitude and sense of pop freudianism lays waste to my gut. Dont get angry with me now, unless you're telling me i cant have my own views on this subject.

As someone who would rather watch the Evil Dead Trilogy constantly to the end of time (evidence that I'm, therefore, not a Nolan fanboy) it's the heavy-handed morality and holier than thou attitude of the anti-Nolan brigade that I find equally annoying. Particularly when they've pre-judged a film before actually seeing it, indicating some spectacular narrow-mindedness. The guy makes interesting, entertaining films that frequently work on a range of levels. I kind of like that and the challenge Nolan asks his audience to participate in when watching his films, if so inclined. On a par with The Godfather and 12 Angry Men? Why not. None of these movies are Evil Dead 2 now, are they...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/
Post #: 176
RE: Chicken Wing - 18/7/2012 1:08:17 PM   
porntrooper

quote:

Why do you assume everyone that praises a Nolan film is some kind of Nolan fanboy unable to criticise his films? This kind of shit is far more annoying than any misguided, blind love for a film or film maker. Here you are suggesting people will tell you off for having your view and opinion on a particular film, film series or film director, yet at the same time anyone with a view opposing yours is a deluded fanboy who's opinion is biased and born of stupidity.

Review threads really are the home of staggering levels of forum fuckwittery.

"I've got an idea for a special infiltration technique. It involves draining a man of his blood and replacing it with Tizer."
Post #: 177
RE: Chicken Wing - 18/7/2012 1:15:35 PM   
superdan

quote:

Don't let my typo lure you into thinking you're witty. It happens. I didn't calim to see the movie.

So you just decided to launch an ad hominem attack on people who enjoyed the other two movies? While simultaneously shielding yourself by saying "Dont get angry with me now, unless you're telling me i cant have my own views on this subject"?

(in reply to burtbondy)
Post #: 178
RE: Chicken Wing - 18/7/2012 1:21:44 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

But you contributed so much to the forums!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 179
RE: Chicken Wing - 18/7/2012 1:24:12 PM   
MonsterCat

I don't get the chicken wing thing.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: More Right Wing Bat Politics Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI