Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: RE:

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE: - 21/7/2012 5:31:01 PM   
st3veebee

Saw it last night in the new Odeon "IMAX" cinema in Dublin. Huge expectations having adored the previous 2 (I personally believe Begins is the best while the DK is all about Ledger), here's what I thought:

THE GOOD + :

+The cast is fantastic and everyone rises to the challenge, Bale is back to his best and the voice is better, Hatheway is much better than I thought but does that seductive voice a little too much, Hardy is immense, Oldman, Caine and Freeman all do what they do best but I have to say that the standout is probably Gordon-Levitt who simply delivers in every scene.

+The score is as ever, incredible. Probably my favourite part of the film, and hearing it in all it's IMAX glory I was blown away with every note. Well done Mr. Zimmer.

+It looks beautiful, probably the prettiest of all the films.

+ One or two very good fight/action sequences in the first third of the film. I particularly liked Batman vs Bane no. 1 and the Wall Street Raid.

+ The Bat's entrance is kinda awesome.

+ Some very funny moments.

THE DISAPPOINTING - :

- A severe lack of "wow" compared with the previous two films. It's all good but there is no pencil trick moment, or truck flipping, or new bat-mobile chase, or scarecrow fright..it just lacks a great set piece or moment of Nolan genius that sends a shiver of pleasure down your spine.

-The ending, while not as awful as others would have you believe, could have been far better. Especially if (highlight, spoiler alert) Alfred had simply waved and the camera hadn't shown us Bruce. And no mention of Robin...you lied Nolan!!. It is also kinda baffling....

-More spoilers: Highlight please: After absolutely destroying Batman with ease Bane is suddenly pathetic in the second fight, whereas Bats is a hundred times better...after breaking his back? I wanted a far better showdown. And how the hell does Selina sneak up on Bane on a Bat bike???

- There are a good few plot-holes.

-Was it just me or did Banes voice go all southern American at times?

-The rain romantic sequence felt very forced.

SO?:

= Honestly, I'm a little disappointed. It's a great film that looks and sounds phenomenal (as you would expect with Pfister and Zimmer), has a great cast with everyone performing (JGL standing out and I was very impressed with Bane and Hatheway was very solid) and the big explosive sequences are solid. They just aren't the final showdown to one of the best trilogies ever that I wanted. No stand out "wow" moments like in the previous films and that for me was a huge let-down.

Perhaps it couldn't live up to expectation, but I just wanted a little more. A very solid film but nothing more...and that's not what I expect from Nolan.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 421
RE: Stop over analysing it, for the love of god! SPOILE... - 21/7/2012 5:40:13 PM   
jrewing1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barry Bethal

quote:

I watched the ending again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i01_JOZIzHI

There is no doubt Bruce Wayne survives and it just Nolan silly attempts throughout the movie giving us the impression he would die. Why?

After watching the youtube clip there is definitely no doubt - he is alive and well. Strangely, watching it again, I am happy that he lived despite my initial misgivings (hence why I need a 2nd viewing) .... Bruce also has a sick sense of humour as he has effectively condemned Blake to receiving an ass kicking, good bum raping and death (in any order) on his first outing as a vigilante by neglecting to leave him an instruction manual specifying rule 1 - enlist in the League of Shadows for a year.

Just watched the clip. Nooooooolllaaaaaannnn!!!!! I cannot believe this. So after showing us Batman flying out and letting the bomb explode in the sea, we have been misdirected all along?! You just CANNOT end a movie like this. It's just not good enough. I don't mind misdirection but not right at the end! It's just too convenient and extremely lazy.

I'm sure someone will say something like 'yes but he could have jumped out some time before the Bat went out to sea' but that's just not good enough. We didn't SEE it. So we are left with a misdirection. Plain and simple. A cheap trick on the audience.

For me, this is kinda unforgivable in a writer / director, because you are basically saying - 'don't trust anything you see that I show you, because in the next scene I might decide to turn it all around.'

(in reply to Barry Bethal)
Post #: 422
RE: Stop over analysing it, for the love of god! SPOILE... - 21/7/2012 5:46:42 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jrewing1000

quote:

quote:

There is no doubt Bruce Wayne survives and it just Nolan silly attempts throughout the movie giving us the impression he would die. Why?

After watching the youtube clip there is definitely no doubt - he is alive and well. Strangely, watching it again, I am happy that he lived despite my initial misgivings (hence why I need a 2nd viewing) .... Bruce also has a sick sense of humour as he has effectively condemned Blake to receiving an ass kicking, good bum raping and death (in any order) on his first outing as a vigilante by neglecting to leave him an instruction manual specifying rule 1 - enlist in the League of Shadows for a year.

Just watched the clip. Nooooooolllaaaaaannnn!!!!! I cannot believe this. So after showing us Batman flying out and letting the bomb explode in the sea, we have been misdirected all along?! You just CANNOT end a movie like this. It's just not good enough. I don't mind misdirection but not right at the end! It's just too convenient and extremely lazy.

I'm sure someone will say something like 'yes but he could have jumped out some time before the Bat went out to sea' but that's just not good enough. We didn't SEE it. So we are left with a misdirection. Plain and simple. A cheap trick on the audience.

For me, this is kinda unforgivable in a writer / director, because you are basically saying - 'don't trust anything you see that I show you, because in the next scene I might decide to turn it all around.'

A cheap trick would be two scenes that CONTRADICTED each other. In contrast: the audience were NEVER shown Bruce Wayne dying.

As for tricking the audience, what about all the stuff about the autopilot (in the scene with Bruce and Lucius)? Isn't that Nolan playing fair and foreshadowing? Why would it even be in there if we're not supposed to pay attention to the possible significance of the autopilot?

(in reply to jrewing1000)
Post #: 423
RE: Stop over analysing it, for the love of god! SPOILE... - 21/7/2012 5:55:44 PM   
elab49

Equally it's not like he had a lot of time to fix it, and it came up again later when Fox said he was the autopilot.

And then he went off to a pit for 5 months.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 424
RE: Stop over analysing it, for the love of god! SPOILE... - 21/7/2012 5:58:12 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Equally it's not like he had a lot of time to fix it, and it came up again later when Fox said he was the autopilot.

Batman's a genius! He wouldn't lose his mechanical,intellectual abilities in five months, and a working autopilot is the sort of thing that would, to say the least, come in handy in attempting to retake Gotham.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 425
RE: RE: - 21/7/2012 6:03:57 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

After absolutely destroying Batman with ease Bane is suddenly pathetic in the second fight, whereas Bats is a hundred times better...after breaking his back? I wanted a far better showdown. And how the hell does Selina sneak up on Bane on a Bat bike???

Come on, we see Bane knocking lumps out of pillars, and Batman only wins because the prison dude told him that Bane's mask is actually an anaesthetic-delivery system! If Batman hadn't had that information he'd have easily lost again.

Most of the bat vehicles have well-documented (on screen) stealth options, but it wasn't really a question of sneaking up. Doesn't matter how fast someone's reflexes are, a gun and motorbike are going to surely be quicker. Plus wasn't Bane preoccupied with Batman? Even Batman wasn't sure if Selina would come to save him so you could hardly expect Bane to have an eye out for her. And remember that Bane's just had his pain killing gas ripped off. Talia might have plugged him back up, but it's fair to assume that Bane wasn't exactly at 100% when Selina killed him.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 426
RE: Stop over analysing it, for the love of god! SPOILE... - 21/7/2012 6:11:16 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: cerebusboy

quote:

Batman's a genius! He wouldn't lose his mechanical,intellectual abilities in five months, and a working autopilot is the sort of thing that would, to say the least, come in handy in attempting to retake Gotham.

I don't mean he did. Just that there wasn't exactly a big window of opportunity to actually do it. Or to think that it would become a priority.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 427
RE: Stop over analysing it, for the love of god! SPOILE... - 21/7/2012 6:14:11 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't mean he did. Just that there wasn't exactly a big window of opportunity to actually do it. Or to think that it would become a priority.

Well, it's established that Bane has mutliple tumblers. It's reasonable to assume that Batman would need to make the most of the vehicles he still has at his exposure to take him down. Maybe Bruce did it the same time he was getting the programme for Selina?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 428
RE: Stop over analysing it, for the love of god! SPOILE... - 21/7/2012 6:25:41 PM   
justfontaine

I saw it on the Manchester IMAX last night. Good lord, It was some experience. I felt mentally exhausted after it. Here is my issue; and it's not with the film itself. *SPOILERS* Maybe not in this thread, but a common thought that seems to be building momentum on forums and so on is that people seem disappointed Batman didn't die? Are you kidding me?

This is like the Tony Soprano syndrome *SPOILERS FOR SOPRANOS* where at the end of the show people were almost angry there was no on screen death or death at all for Tony. I recall David Chase saying something along the lines of how sick he felt it that people could root for a character for seven years and then want him to die in the final five minutes.

I feel the same in regards to The Dark Knight himself. Why did people want Bruce to die so badly? He has been their hero for three fantastic films and then people wanted his blood for some sort of warped satisfaction? I felt we had perfect closure with the ending. Whether people see it as an ambiguous Inception nod is a different debate all together (He is alive though ) Bruce deserves to live his life away from the chaos of what once was. Nolan knows and appreciates the character in this way as I'm sure many of us do.

I loved the film to be honest. I've seen a fair few criticisms. What did people actually expect? The greatest film of all time? BB and TDK have their flaws. I was aware of this and I went into TDKR fully expecting a few minor things here and there but nothing as major to take away my enjoyment from the film itself and what has been a truly exceptional handling of a difficult character and universe. The first fight between Batman and Bane by the way is arguably the scene of the trilogy.

Yeah Bane's voice was at times difficult to comprehend... so what? We all knew what he was doing and what his objectives were, a line here and there is hardly detrimental and you know, If it was in reality someone was talking through that mask, I bet you wouldn't fully understand them all the time anyway, It's just the complexities and short comings that come with wearing a metal mask/respirator over your face. I admired the scale of it greatly, some of the shots of Gotham randomly exploding in paces was stunning. I feel it's flaws are in it's ambition. It attempts a lot and maybe, yeah it's not all perfect and some parts don't gel together as well as everyone wanted them too... but neither was TDK perfect and now people look on it as a masterpiece. Give Rises a second and third viewing. We will all come to appreciate it's colossal achievement in due time.

Also, these are still comic book films.

Do we really have to pick up on every little thing? Have we become so pedantic that we pick at every minute detail? Wow, Nolan really did shoot himself in the foot grounding these movies in reality didn't he?... now he can't seemingly make a comic book move in a comic book movie for fear of him being 'past it' or whatever other pathetic criticism is leveled at him. I couldn't agree more with the current thread title.

< Message edited by justfontaine -- 21/7/2012 6:32:19 PM >

'I always felt it was supposed to be a revival meeting, a circus, a dance hall and a political rally and all those things are rolled into what you present... and that was rock 'n' roll for me'

The Boss

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 429
RE: Stop over analysing it, for the love of god! SPOILE... - 21/7/2012 6:31:56 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: justfontaine

I saw it on the Manchester IMAX last night. Good lord, It was some experience. I felt mentally exhausted after it. Here is my issue; and it's not with the film itself. *SPOILERS* Maybe not in this thread, but a common thought that seems to be building momentum on forums and so on is that people seem disappointed Batman didn't die? Are you kidding me?

This is like the Tony Soprano syndrome *SPOILERS FOR SOPRANOS* where at the end of the show people were almost angry there was no on screen death or death at all for Tony. I recall David Chase saying something along the lines of how sick he felt it that people could root for a character for seven years and then want him to die in the final five minutes.

That's a great analogy - I remember Chase also getting (rightly!) annoyed with people who thought the ending was a cheat or the writers screwing with the audience. All the clues were there for the Sopranos ending, just as they are with The Dark Knight Rises.

(in reply to justfontaine)
Post #: 430
RE: RE: - 21/7/2012 7:42:26 PM   
steveyoung695

5 out of 5

Steve Young
www.top10hollywood.net

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 431
RE: Stop over analysing it, for the love of god! SPOILE... - 21/7/2012 8:15:37 PM   
jrewing1000

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jrewing1000

quote:

quote:

A cheap trick would be two scenes that CONTRADICTED each other. In contrast: the audience were NEVER shown Bruce Wayne dying.

As for tricking the audience, what about all the stuff about the autopilot (in the scene with Bruce and Lucius)? Isn't that Nolan playing fair and foreshadowing? Why would it even be in there if we're not supposed to pay attention to the possible significance of the autopilot?

I agree about the contradiciton point, but I disagree about what we are shown. I think we DO see Wayne dying, were are shown him in the cockpit, then see the Bat flying out to sea where it explodes. Of course he COULD have jumped, but we didn't see that. Going on what we saw, he flew out to sea and was blown up.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 432
RE: - 21/7/2012 9:10:18 PM   
mattdavies86

Have we got a preacher on the message board? What's all this Old Testament bullshit?
Post #: 433
RE: - 21/7/2012 9:14:14 PM   
dolfinack

Stay classy DrJerkOff, You're one stone cold idiot.

Back on topic.... I thought the film was pretty depressing.Couldn't understand Bane and it was full of navel gazing. Not the spectacle I want when watching a superhero movie.

"I'm as human as the next man"

"Dad! I WAS the next man!"
Post #: 434
RE: - 21/7/2012 10:10:59 PM   
mattdavies86

Mods, please disable Dr FlexiJerkOff's account. He or she is turning this thread into a joke.
Post #: 435
RE: RE: - 21/7/2012 10:15:41 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: mattdavies86

Mods, please disable Dr FlexiJerkOff's account. He or she is turning this thread into a joke.

He is no more......

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to mattdavies86)
Post #: 436
RE: RE: - 21/7/2012 10:40:18 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: mattdavies86

He is no more......

He is... an idea!

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 437
RE: RE: - 21/7/2012 10:48:20 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: steveyoung695

5 out of 5

^^ very much this.

Epic, epic stuff.

(in reply to steveyoung695)
Post #: 438
RE: RE: - 21/7/2012 10:52:07 PM   
boostergold

Saw this yesterday 5am Sheffield IMAX; absolutely awesome but the sound was not the best. Just got back from a 2nd viewing in a normal screen and the dialogue etc was crystal clear in case anyone else had issues with the soundtrack. Anyway back to what I posted earlier, I definitely believe Bruce is alive and not in Alfreds head. There is too much at the end to support this especially as a lot of you seem to forget that the fusion device was built in a chamber that could be flooded to protect Gotham from danger. Likewise Batman is over AN OCEAN and so he would in theory be safe from the bomb if he dropped into it at the last second. Also there is the matter of the cleanslate software that Selina was after for the first half of the movie. Bruce offered her this in returnfor helping him when he arrived back in Gotham after escaping Banes prison. Therefore it is logical that he would keep his promise and erase her identity and also his own if they were together, which we know they are at the end. Also Bruce has left a new Bat signal on MCU for Gordon and a bag of who knows what for Blake to carry on as Batman and Fox knows he fixed the auto-pilot problem on the Bat.
Bruce lives and Batman will as Blake in this universe. Now Warner can re-boot.
One last thought; it gets better on second viewing and it really does fly by. Loved it!

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 439
RE: More Right Wing Bat Politics - 21/7/2012 10:54:21 PM   
bennyboy1971

Great film, thoroughly enjoyed it. A perfect conclusion to the trilogy, and totally avoids the curse of the second sequel.

The only bits that made me laugh unintentionally were two death scenes - Matthew Modine's (gayest looking corpse ever) and that foreign bird who was the baddy.

Oh, and the ending ties things up nicely while leaving a neat dot dot dot of hope after all the carnage. Bruce Wayne gets to be happy at last, while leaving Batman in capable hands.

I think they call it closure.

(in reply to fiercehairdo)
Post #: 440
RE: More Right Wing Bat Politics - 21/7/2012 11:02:12 PM   
boostergold

best post i've read all week bennyboy. I agree it is called closure. A lot on here seem to take offence at that though.

(in reply to bennyboy1971)
Post #: 441
RE: RE: - 21/7/2012 11:14:24 PM   
jediwarrior

Bloody amazing. Loved it and was on the edge of my seat near the end. Glad Bruce survived at the end, I really did think he'd get killed off at the end. I had no trouble with Bane voice during the film. I could understand what he was saying.  A easy 5/5 stars.

Also Hathaway looked mighty fine in that Catwoman outfit

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 442
RE: RE: - 21/7/2012 11:24:49 PM   
bennyboy1971

quote:

ORIGINAL: jediwarrior

Aint that the truth? I bet the Dark Knight will be 'rising' a few more times since she turned up....

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 443
RE: Duality and Rising - 21/7/2012 11:50:31 PM   
DWAMES90

These movies focus very much on the heart. Its been said that Alfred is the mirror image of the audience as to how he relates to events. Its good to know that we as an audience who share a concern for this character along with Alfred are finally reassured and can leave happy that he has risen
Post #: 444
RE: Been a while since the Brit audience applauds... - 22/7/2012 12:57:00 AM   
Qwerty Norris

Well, I saw it again for the second time tonight & I must say, the issues I had with it in the first viewing have been largely reduced to nit-picking.

It's testament to its success that on a second viewing, so soon after the first, that I was literally on the edge of my seat throughout.

It's certainly not perfect (although not many films are) & if you're largely indifferent to Nolan's Batman or general universe, you're unlikely to be swayed into a different opinion.

But for those of us who love the world of Batman, the films of Nolan & seeing massive big-budgeted films being motivated by ideas as opposed to special effects, this is pure cinematic nirvana.

The ending too, whilst impressive first time round, is pitch perfect the second.

So yeah, overall, I fucking loved it.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph
Post #: 445
RE: RE: - 22/7/2012 1:05:02 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

Perhaps it couldn't live up to expectation, but I just wanted a little more. A very solid film but nothing more...and that's not what I expect from Nolan.

I have to say I felt a lot like you the first time round.

Watch it a second time. Once you've made peace with your expectation levels & know exactly where it's heading, proceedings (for me anyway) are far more satisfying.

I agree it probably lacks the killer set piece that TDK had, but on its own merits, it's still pretty phenomenal.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 446
RE: Stop over analysing it, for the love of god! SPOILE... - 22/7/2012 1:08:27 AM   
Qwerty Norris

Also, the fact that there are a number of people on this thread debating the end, proves that it totally works.

Whilst I personally feel he survives, there is enough suggestion in there to argue that he doesn't - and for a film of this magnitude to provide both closure & ambiguity in one go is a hell of an achievement.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Barry Bethal)
Post #: 447
RE: RE: - 22/7/2012 2:00:20 AM   
elfzooey

SPOILERS

Mentally exhausted after watching this. Found it enjoyable but disappointing in parts. Definitely didn't have the same emotional impact that TDK had.

Didn't think Bane's voice would have been a problem but I genuinely found it difficult hearing some of his dialogue throughout the film.

I've never read the comic-books but the Miranda Tate twist was quite predictable and disappointing, for me there simply wasn't enough time for her to develop for people to invest their emotions into her to care about her true allegiance.

Middle part of the film dragged and there were too many occasions/scenes that had people evacuating/moving from one place to the other.

Would have liked to see how Bruce Wayne actually made it back to Gotham considering the city was in lockdown and he had fuck all on him.

There were other problems with this but they were minor. I think with the last two films being that great it's easy for people to be so highly critical and judgmental of TDKR as the expectation levels have been raised to incredible levels.

I'm still digesting the film as there's a lot to take in and a second viewing is definitely required. I really enjoyed it but at the same time disappointed and sad. I just wanted that little bit more and perhaps reading some of the reviews and watching the numerous trailers, the hype just took over me.

< Message edited by elfzooey -- 22/7/2012 2:04:26 AM >

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always give what you've always had"

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 448
RE: Stop over analysing it, for the love of god! SPOILE... - 22/7/2012 10:00:38 AM   
jrewing1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

Also, the fact that there are a number of people on this thread debating the end, proves that it totally works.

Whilst I personally feel he survives, there is enough suggestion in there to argue that he doesn't - and for a film of this magnitude to provide both closure & ambiguity in one go is a hell of an achievement.

It is great that there is such debate about the end. But my issue is that if it turns out that Batman survived, I would feel cheated by the writer, not impressed.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 449
RE: RE: - 22/7/2012 10:29:35 AM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jediwarrior

Almost as hot as your avatar. Zoinks!

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI