Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: MONUMENTAL STUFF!!!!!!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: MONUMENTAL STUFF!!!!!!!! Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MONUMENTAL STUFF!!!!!!!! - 21/7/2012 11:06:30 AM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Fraud would have been a whole lot harder to prove if they hadn't bothered to raid the Exchange to give another set-piece and had just put through the trades. Just saying - not the brightest plan. 

But they were planning to nuke the city anyway! Sneaky stock-exchange manipulation would not have had the intimidating, storm-coming effect Bane was going for.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 361
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 21/7/2012 11:06:57 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: burtbondy

quote:

Yeah I am not sure how it couldn't be taken literally.

How it happened is left up in the air. But he did survive.

Did you write the movie? You don't know for sure. But one thing is for sure , you dont swim away from an atomic blast.

No I didn't write the movie but I certainly watched it and all the scenes post bomb and pre Alfred showed that Batman was still around.

Your problem should be with the script, not me.

I think hoping Alfred is imagining things is a hope that Nolan didn't do something you didn't want him to do that didn't make sense.

After all - this was still a Hollywood blockbuster. The good guy very rarely dies.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 362
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 21/7/2012 11:08:56 AM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

Did you write the movie? You don't know for sure. But one thing is for sure , you dont swim away from an atomic blast.

Maybe Batman had a fridge on The Bat

(in reply to burtbondy)
Post #: 363
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 21/7/2012 11:14:43 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

BEST POST IN THE THREAD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 364
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 21/7/2012 11:20:19 AM   
burtbondy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No I didn't write the movie but I certainly watched it and all the scenes post bomb and pre Alfred showed that Batman was still around.

Your problem should be with the script, not me.

I think hoping Alfred is imagining things is a hope that Nolan didn't do something you didn't want him to do that didn't make sense.

After all - this was still a Hollywood blockbuster. The good guy very rarely dies.

He is obviously going to leave something postive there for the fans to hold on to. Its debatable, which he probably intended.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 365
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 21/7/2012 11:22:13 AM   
burtbondy

quote:

quote:

quote:

A surf board would be be likely.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 366
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 21/7/2012 11:37:52 AM   
SWOTBM

Did anyone else think Ras was actually going to make an corporeal appearance in the prison? I thought from the way the story had been told up to then, it would have made sense for Bane to have seized control of the LoS and imprisoned Ras in there. Then Ras helps Bruce escape. He [Ras] could then either do a runner or insist that he stays behind until he can get out of the prison himself.

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to burtbondy)
Post #: 367
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 21/7/2012 11:39:13 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

Did anyone else think Ras was actually going to make an corporeal appearance in the prison? I thought from the way the story had been told up to then, it would have made sense for Bane to have seized control of the LoS and imprisoned Ras in there. Then Ras helps Bruce escape. He [Ras] could then either do a runner or insist that he stays behind until he can get out of the prison himself.

Apart from the whole crused to death in Begins thing though.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 368
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 21/7/2012 11:45:20 AM   
SWOTBM

Well he did say he was immortal.....

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 369
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 21/7/2012 11:47:04 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

I don't think that was meant to be taken literally.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 370
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 21/7/2012 11:48:34 AM   
Ballschin

Regarding the ending - (I don't know how to reply to other people's posts)

I think there is no other way to interpret other than Bruce is alive. Multiple people all experiencing his continued presence can't be put down to their collective imaginations. Also I'm pretty sure WB / DC would have refused to let Nolan kill him.

There is a rather confusing scene though where Lucius Fox is examining the Bat, and told that Bruce had fixed the autopilot. When did this scene occur?? I imagine not much of the Bat was salvageable after it got blown up by a nuclear bomb...unless it was made of the same stuff fridges are made of (sorry couldn't resist).

Were there two Bats did anyone notice? I wouldn't be surprised if this was just a plot hole though, they were numerous.

< Message edited by Ballschin -- 21/7/2012 11:49:37 AM >

(in reply to burtbondy)
Post #: 371
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 21/7/2012 11:51:37 AM   
SWOTBM

quote:

quote:

I thought it would have worked quite well, especially given Ras' connection to the Lazarus pits (although admittedly in the comics)

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 372
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 21/7/2012 11:51:46 AM   
parsonage84

quote:

quote:

I always looked at it as more of him living on as a symbol, bit like Batman would

The Jerk store called, they're running out of you

the King forever rembered 1958 - 2009

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 373
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 21/7/2012 11:52:28 AM   
elab49

It was a production item developed for the military - there wouldn't just be one. Also - they also come in black - we'd already been told there was more than one.

I'd guess the suggestion is the software patch was universally applied as an upload type thing in the development work that he'd worked through - so 'patched' to all. I assumed that was why they'd chosen the word, as a tenuous plot hole closer.

quote:

(in reply to Ballschin)
Post #: 374
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 21/7/2012 11:53:00 AM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

Yeah, didn't Ra's sort of fade away like a ghost? We were obviously meant to know he wasn't walking about with a corporeal body (which would surely raise more questions than it would solve - i..e why is Bane in charge of LoS if Ra's is still around)

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 375
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 21/7/2012 11:55:18 AM   
elab49

It was in Wayne's head, referencing back to the appearance in the cell in Begins and the pep talk there.

I think someone above may not have gotten the fridge ref

quote:

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 376
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 21/7/2012 12:08:46 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

It was in Wayne's head, referencing back to the appearance in the cell in Begins and the pep talk there.

I think someone above may not have gotten the fridge ref

This probably doesn't do much for my credibility, but I actually liked Crystal Skull (and Superman Returns, and even Attack of the Clones!)

Maybe Ra's has achieved immortality by becoming a Force Spirit

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 377
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 21/7/2012 12:18:11 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

I thought it would have worked quite well, especially given Ras' connection to the Lazarus pits (although admittedly in the comics)

But how could you have Bane running the LoS if Ra's is still around? Plus, Talia wouldn't have the same motive for revenge if her dad was alive and kicking.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 378
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 21/7/2012 12:22:23 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

But how could you have Bane running the LoS if Ra's is still around? Plus, Talia wouldn't have the same motive for revenge if her dad was alive and kicking.

Well this is me kinda re-writing the whole movie, but I thought Talia added little to the whole story; her little screen time made the ''reveal'' not that significant. I would have been better if Bane was the child, he physically overpowered Ras (especially in the wake of Ras' failure to destroy Gotham), imprisoned him and then took over the LoS.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 379
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 21/7/2012 12:23:55 PM   
elab49

But it wouldn't have given the twist which, to someone who's never heard of Talia as Ghul, was never a twist and always pretty obvious no matter how mechanical some of the cover-ups were - like the guard her, he'll come for her. Too little too late for misdirection. 

quote:

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 380
RE: The Dark Knight Rises - 21/7/2012 1:33:28 PM   
mattdavies86

Saw it yesterday at the 14:35 showing at the BFI Imax. It was the first time I had seen a film in Imax, and it didn't disappoint!

There will be a lot of debate about the ending. I loved it and fall on the side of the super-dooper happy ending (as I did with Inception) and can accept the holes in doing so. Michael Caine was just incredible in the scene leading up to this, and I'm not ashamed to say I shed a couple of tears.

I had a few issues understanding Bane (mainly during the fight in the sewers) - having watched a dodgy copy of the prologue a few months back I was surprised at the degree of change. Overall, I thought Hardy did a good job in the role (the look in his eyes during the climactic fight was bloody menacing).

Hathaway was great as Selina Kyle - duplicitous, sexy, etc. Shame they couldn't develop Bruce and Miranda's relationship a bit more - I was hardly surprised by the twist. Likewise, it was a bit of a waste of Matthew Modine.

I've spent a good amount of time in the past 4 years wondering what they would do to finish it, and now that I've seen the end to Nolan's trilogy I kind of feel a bit empty that it's all over!

(in reply to burtbondy)
Post #: 381
RE: Stop over analysing it, for the love of god! SPOILE... - 21/7/2012 1:39:32 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclane1

He survived, Alfred diddnt imagine him at the table. He clearly was flying the bat from the autopilot cockpit inside the weapons room or set it first then jumped out so wasn't even in it when the bomb, goes off.

This I feel is probably what happened, but for me, one of the successes of Rises is that there is enough in there for anyone to justify what actually happened in the end, as both scenarios are legitimate. Some folk seem to have found this problematic or an example of stating the bleeding obvious, but it works for me & it articulates one of Nolan's best features - something he has virtually done in all his films, Following onwards.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph
Post #: 382
RE: Stop over analysing it, for the love of god! SPOILE... - 21/7/2012 1:58:12 PM   
jrewing1000

!!!!!!!!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For f**k's sake people. You can't say Batman survived the ending. You literally saw him flying the Bat over the coastline with seconds to spare. As someone else pointed out, even if he jumped at the last minute, after we cut away from him, he still would have died. (I can't even see how he flew 6 miles so quickly).

It HAS to be that Alfred imagined him, because that was referenced earlier. Ok so he fixed the autopilot. So what? Doesn't mean he used it.

Again - we SAW it. We saw him fly out. I'm fed up with Directors / writers putting in cheap twists, showing us one thing then changing it later. It's so phoney.

Why don't we just re-write Wayne's parents back into the film. they MAY have survived! Ok so we see them get shot, but they could have been taken away and revived. What about Rachel? Maybe she survived too. What about Dent? Is he ALSO alive? Hey - maybe Bane is still around too. And Neeson's character.

I'm amazed that people are ok with this. If it turns out that Batman is still alive, I'll probably lose all respect for Nolan as a writer.

< Message edited by jrewing1000 -- 21/7/2012 2:00:05 PM >

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 383
RE: Stop over analysing it, for the love of god! SPOILE... - 21/7/2012 2:01:15 PM   
elab49

I'm not sure - given each part was clearly told he was still around, I was genuinely surprised it was even questioned and assumed it was mainly people who'd missed the other bits at the end of the film.

I'd say again - Kyle was there. It was a place Alfred said he went to every year, so easy to set up.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 21/7/2012 2:02:10 PM >

quote:

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 384
RE: Stop over analysing it, for the love of god! SPOILE... - 21/7/2012 2:03:06 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jrewing1000

For f**k's sake people. You can't say Batman survived the ending. You literally saw him flying the Bat over the coastline with seconds to spare. As someone else pointed out, even if he jumped at the last minute, after we cut away from him, he still would have died. (I can't even see how he flew 6 miles so quickly).

It HAS to be that Alfred imagined him, because that was referenced earlier. Ok so he fixed the autopilot. So what? Doesn't mean he used it.

Again - we SAW it. We saw him fly out. I'm fed up with Directors / writers putting in cheap twists, showing us one thing then changing it later. It's so phoney.

Why don't we just re-write Wayne's parents back into the film. they MAY have survived! Ok so we see them get shot, but they could have been taken away and revived. What about Rachel? Maybe she survived too. What about Dent? Is he ALSO alive? Hey - maybe Bane is still around too. And Neeson's character.

I'm amazed that people are ok with this. If it turns out that Batman is still alive, I'll probably lose all respect for Nolan as a writer.

The reference earlier has Alfred saying he THINKS he sees Bruce at the cafe and then, when the guy turns round, immediately realises its someone else. Are we to believe that the ending is Alfred , in contrast, hallucinating and seeing someone who isn't actually there? That's like one of those Garfield without Garfield strips.This isn't Inception, and Alfred having a mental breakdown doesn't sound like much of a happy ending to me

(in reply to jrewing1000)
Post #: 385
RE: Stop over analysing it, for the love of god! SPOILE... - 21/7/2012 2:04:56 PM   
jrewing1000

quote:

I'm not sure - given each part was clearly told he was still around, I was genuinely surprised it was even questioned and assumed it was mainly people who'd missed the other bits at the end of the film.

I'd say again - Kyle was there. It was a place Alfred said he went to every year, so easy to set up.

Nobody told anyone he was clearly around. It's all suggested. That's why I think there is no way he could have survived. He may have wanted people to think he was still around. But i'll say it again. we SAW him fly out with the bomb. Seriously, what else is there to say? He was in the cockpit with seconds left. We DIDN"T see him jump out. He was flying the damn thing out to sea. Then boom. That's what we saw. That's what happened.

Again - if it turns out that Batman survives, Nolan has played a ridiculous cheap trick on the audience.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 386
RE: Stop over analysing it, for the love of god! SPOILE... - 21/7/2012 2:05:56 PM   
jrewing1000

quote:

quote:

The reference earlier has Alfred saying he THINKS he sees Bruce at the cafe and then, when the guy turns round, immediately realises its someone else. Are we to believe that the ending is Alfred , in contrast, hallucinating and seeing someone who isn't actually there? That's like one of those Garfield without Garfield strips.This isn't Inception, and Alfred having a mental breakdown doesn't sound like much of a happy ending to me

But that's exactly my point. What is more likely? Batman survives a nuclear bomb, or Alfred is imagining things again, JUST like he did earlier? (or maybe there's a third option - that Nolan screwed up the ending). There's nothing wrong with showing Alfred imagining things. It's kinda poetic.

< Message edited by jrewing1000 -- 21/7/2012 2:06:50 PM >

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 387
RE: Stop over analysing it, for the love of god! SPOILE... - 21/7/2012 2:07:57 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

Nobody told anyone he was clearly around. It's all suggested. That's why I think there is no way he could have survived. He may have wanted people to think he was still around. But i'll say it again. we SAW him fly out with the bomb. Seriously, what else is there to say? He was in the cockpit with seconds left.

Does anyone remember how many seconds are left in the last shot of Batman definitely in the cockpit?

Post #: 388
RE: Stop over analysing it, for the love of god! SPOILE... - 21/7/2012 2:10:38 PM   
jrewing1000

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nobody told anyone he was clearly around. It's all suggested. That's why I think there is no way he could have survived. He may have wanted people to think he was still around. But i'll say it again. we SAW him fly out with the bomb. Seriously, what else is there to say? He was in the cockpit with seconds left.

Does anyone remember how many seconds are left in the last shot of Batman definitely in the cockpit?

Does it really matter? My issue is that we don't see Batman jump out. If he really did jump out, and Nolan decides not to show us. It's a CHEAP narrative trick.

(in reply to cerebusboy)
Post #: 389
RE: Stop over analysing it, for the love of god! SPOILE... - 21/7/2012 2:11:07 PM   
cerebusboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

But that's exactly my point. What is more likely? Batman survives a nuclear bomb, or Alfred is imagining things again, JUST like he did earlier? (or maybe there's a third option - that Nolan screwed up the ending). There's nothing wrong with showing Alfred imagining things. It's kinda poetic.

It depends what you mean by ''survives a nuclear bomb" The implication is that Batman deliberately timed it so he'd be outwith the blast radius, not that he had some kind of Bat-Nuclear Proofing Spray on or something. Was it just me, or did the actual explosion itself not seem a bit less than one would expect from a 'traditional' nuclear bomb?

I'd say ending on an overt fantasy sequence is indeed problematic. This isn't Dallas

Post #: 390
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: MONUMENTAL STUFF!!!!!!!! Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI