Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 29/1/2013 11:22:38 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I suppose what I am trying to say is

in 1992 Arnie made Terminator 2
in 1993 he made Last Action Hero

See how quickly it can all fall apart?

And in 1994 he made True Lies, the third highest grossest film of that year.

Yeah, ok - then the rest of his career happened.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 91
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 30/1/2013 1:33:52 PM   
spark1

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

I suppose what I am trying to say is

in 1992 Arnie made Terminator 2
in 1993 he made Last Action Hero

See how quickly it can all fall apart?

And in 1994 he made True Lies, the third highest grossest film of that year.

Yeah, ok - then the rest of his career happened.

and 'eraser' in '97 did decent business too.

< Message edited by spark1 -- 31/1/2013 10:24:44 AM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 92
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 30/1/2013 2:32:56 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

For me, while Thor did have problems, it had heart which went a long way.

Captain America started well, but after he liberated the POW camp, it went downhill for me. It needed a scene where HYDRA's weapons actually posed a threat to the Allies, such as the 4th Army being wiped out or something. Instead we had a montage (which looked a lot of fun) before a green screen finale and an ending that had no punch or heart at all.

If JJ Abrams can do something similar in the first 10 mins of Star Trek, I have no idea how Joe Johnson dropped the ball so spectacularly for the film's ending. I should have had tears running down my face as Rogers crashed landed and he fought to get out of the wreckage before succumbing to the cold. But no. Nothing. Nada.

Kind of pointless to compare those two scenes from two completely different movies.In Star Trek, George Kirk was flying to his death without ever having seen his newborn child, wheras with Cap, we all knew he was not going to die.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 93
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 30/1/2013 3:46:53 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

For me, while Thor did have problems, it had heart which went a long way.

Captain America started well, but after he liberated the POW camp, it went downhill for me. It needed a scene where HYDRA's weapons actually posed a threat to the Allies, such as the 4th Army being wiped out or something. Instead we had a montage (which looked a lot of fun) before a green screen finale and an ending that had no punch or heart at all.

If JJ Abrams can do something similar in the first 10 mins of Star Trek, I have no idea how Joe Johnson dropped the ball so spectacularly for the film's ending. I should have had tears running down my face as Rogers crashed landed and he fought to get out of the wreckage before succumbing to the cold. But no. Nothing. Nada.

Kind of pointless to compare those two scenes from two completely different movies.In Star Trek, George Kirk was flying to his death without ever having seen his newborn child, wheras with Cap, we all knew he was not going to die.

Not really - unless you were familiar with the canon you could easily think that Cap was going to his death. More importantly Cap and Peggy both thought that he was but that never really came across. That scene should have been heart-wrenching but it fell flat. A real shame as it made for an anti-climax to an otherwise fun and enjoybale film. 

< Message edited by Scruffybobby -- 30/1/2013 3:48:02 PM >

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 94
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 30/1/2013 4:00:07 PM   
UTB

I personally thought Captain America ended rather tenderly. As opposed to balling their eyes out at each other they just got cut off but we all know the outcome and they didn't.

I'd also go as far as to say that it was the only film out of all of the Marvel movies so far that I've found to have any heart at all. Thor was a bit too pantomime, Hulk was rushed and Iron Man 1&2 end in Transformersville.

I definitely found Cap the most endearing character in The Avengers.

Each to their own, of course. I think the difference with Captain America is that he is a 'superhero' before the main twist of his story (i.e. being from the past) is presented.The others have the tradgedy before the heroism (apart from Thor, I guess, who can come and go as he pleases). All the others are dealing with their new--found powers whilst he deals with what he doesn't have: the girl, his friends etc

< Message edited by UTB -- 30/1/2013 4:02:03 PM >

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 95
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 30/1/2013 4:47:22 PM   
Chief

Instead of a complete team movie like The Avengers, could they not look at face-off/team-up movies featuring 2 or 3 characters?

I forget who owns the rights to who Hulk/Iron Man is an obvious one and I think Wolverine and Hulk have history as well. Spiderman/Dare Devil, Spiderman/Blade... there are too many options to list.

Or, go bigger. Make a trilogy (or more) that covers all aspects of an event like Secret Wars or Civil War. Each movie following a different group and then a culmination at the end. Some of the X-Men/Shi'ar stuff could make epic movie.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 96
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 30/1/2013 5:40:26 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

I definitely found Cap the most endearing character in The Avengers.

I'd agree... in The Avengers. Unfortunately, the ending of Captain America just didn't have the emotional punch that, ironically, even The Avenger's deleted scenes had of a man completely out of time.

To lazily repeat what I said in the Captain America review thread at the time:

"Roger's farewell should have been heart-wrenching as should have his awakening in the 21st century, with everyone he knows and loves now dead. Instead it is was over in a matter of minutes and handled in quite the ham fisted manner.

I can see what he was trying to do in a A Matter Of Life and Death kind of way, but all impact was gone. It would also have been more heartbreaking to see Rogers fight to get out of the wreckage, but succumb to the cold and essentially 'die'. The whole finale was just a missed opportunity for some real heart in a film that was actually doing well in that department for the first half."

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 97
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 30/1/2013 5:41:56 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

Instead of a complete team movie like The Avengers, could they not look at face-off/team-up movies featuring 2 or 3 characters?

I forget who owns the rights to who Hulk/Iron Man is an obvious one and I think Wolverine and Hulk have history as well.

Wolverine first appeared in Hulk #180, fact fans. And then got this beast of a cover in the next issue.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 98
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 30/1/2013 8:28:23 PM   
vad3r

Depends who makes them.

I'd sit through as many Marvel films people like Whedon, Nolan, Branagh, Singer etc. want to make.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 99
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI