Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 17/7/2012 3:19:30 PM   
Olaf

The problem with the last few films coming one after the other (excluding Avengers) is not just the short timescale, but the fact that they're tonally quite similar to each other (similar in an aesthetic sense as well, though Thor could be an exception for its Asgard sections). As such, I think Marvel could keep it fresh if they start getting creative with how they approach each of these projects, and they're potentially moving in the right direction with these new titles - Ant-Man will be a little more offbeat than the previous films in the series with Edgar involved, Guardians of the Galaxy could be a great bit of psychedelic pulp fiction if the right creative team is in place (ROCKET RACCOON YES), and Shane Black will bring something different to Iron Man 3. As has already been mentioned, it only takes one or two of these films not working to derail the whole project a bit, but I'd like to think that they're in a better financial position after The Avengers to make some more interesting creative choices. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

To be honest, I'm mainly excited because the Ant-Man movie is happening. my favourite character (after Spider-Man) since I was about twelve and with a director who's yet to put a foot wrong for me = excitement.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 61
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 19/7/2012 12:55:40 PM   
Dannybohy

With the announcment of AntMan!! Id say they have lost the plot completely!. Seriously!! Antman??!!. I did like the new Spidey! Everything else since Ironman 1 has left me cold!.

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 28/1/2013 4:14:01 PM >

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 62
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 19/7/2012 7:49:28 PM   
Lazarus munkey

I think Marvel will need to expand into other genres to survive as a stand-alone studio. Their properties alone will not remain popular to the movie-going public indefinitely and maybe the whole superhero genre is one major tank from collapse or, at least, significant downsizing.

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 63
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 19/7/2012 7:54:17 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lazarus munkey
I think Marvel will need to expand into other genres to survive as a stand-alone studio. Their properties alone will not remain popular to the movie-going public indefinitely and maybe the whole superhero genre is one major tank from collapse or, at least, significant downsizing.

I don't know, I might have agreed with this notion 12 months ago, but off of the back of The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises I don't think the genre has ever been in a better shape. There've been tons of flops over the last few years - Green Lantern, Jonah Hex, Ghost Rider 2 etc, but it doesn't seem to have effected the successful ones.

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 64
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 19/7/2012 8:03:19 PM   
Lazarus munkey

I was just highlighting the possibility and none of those flops so far were major Avengers-scale releases (let's face it, everyone kinda knew that that The Green Lantern would tank ). I just think that the public will tire eventually and it will take a major-release bomb to signal it. Maybe in 2 years, maybe 10, maybe never.

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 65
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 13/8/2012 7:20:18 PM   
Rgirvan44

I found it interesting that when Avengers 2 was announced with Whedon coming back everyone seemed to be more interested in how the seperate films would tie into it, than the individual plotlines.

A natural thing I suppose, but is there a risk the other movies become seen as being feature length trailers? Not in actual content, but in perception?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 66
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 13/8/2012 7:41:53 PM   
vad3r

In short, yes.

Not because there's too many of them. It's a matter of quality. The only Marvel films I've been impressed with are Avengers and Thor.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 67
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 13/8/2012 7:56:45 PM   
Dirk Miggler

If the separate films are nothing short of filler (like Captain America's first outing) until the next Avengers then yes, definately. Hopefully if the success of The Avengers does anything for the stand alone films it will be that they (Marvel) raise their game.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 68
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 28/1/2013 4:03:44 PM   
Timon

Bit late to the game, but here goes.

I don't think Marvel are risking burnout, but I've read a few articles about how a certain level of arrogance is pissing off certain actors.

Everyone knows that with these films, the characters are the stars, not the actors, thus Marvel can get away with replacing actors should they not work out (Ed Norton, Terrance Howard).

However despite the mass amounts of money the films have made, I've read a lot about how cheap Marvel have been with their talent (except for Whedon and Downey Jr who got massive pay days). It's led to the likes of Evans, Hemsworth, Johnasson and co getting relatively little for their roles. Mickey Rourke was famously angry about this.

And then there is the whole Patty Jenkins firing due to 'creative differences' which saw Portman almost walk, until Marvel played the contractual agreement card.

I hope Whedon coming it as overall creative consultant will see such things minimised, but I (and I know actors are paid a lot in the scheme of things) hope Marvel don't take their actors (and crew) for granted.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 69
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 28/1/2013 4:06:30 PM   
Rgirvan44

I wonder if Marvel will consider moving out of their established comic books and look to create movie only franchises.

At some point kids are going to get bored with comic book superheros. It happened with Arnie and Sly in the 80s, it happened with post Star Wars space opera. There is always something cooler around the corner.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 70
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 28/1/2013 4:15:57 PM   
Dannybohy

Does anyone else not give a monkeys about separate Thor or capt America movies?. I like them, but since Ironman 2 was balls Id rather they just made Avengers movies!!. Then again i would like to see a separate Ruffalo HULK! origin movie :)

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 28/1/2013 4:16:31 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 71
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 28/1/2013 4:22:04 PM   
Timon

I can't wait to see more Thor films. Future Captain America ones will simply be 'Cap and SHIELD' which could be interesting. We don't need another Hulk origin film - everyone knows the story, they just want to see him smash things. While I'm not sure a standalone Hulk film would be the way to go, I think there's plenty of ways to include him in other films, such as future Iron Men movies.

In fact, it's because of this that I'm more fascinated my the SHIELD series as it lets Marvel introduce characters and ideas that wouldn't work in a feature film - be it Tim Blake Nelson's The Leader (from Incredible Hulk) or like Item 47 showed, people just picking up alien tech and breaking the law with it. The possibilities are more diverse and fun and there's a chance you could get Michael Jai White in as Black Panther.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 72
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 28/1/2013 4:29:40 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

Does anyone else not give a monkeys about separate Thor or capt America movies?. I like them, but since Ironman 2 was balls Id rather they just made Avengers movies!!. Then again i would like to see a separate Ruffalo HULK! origin movie :)

Personally I find the Cap to be the most endearing character out of the lot of them and would gladly welcome a sequel.

I could take or leave Thor though. Lets just hope there isn't a Hawkeye movie. Zzzzzzz

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 73
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 28/1/2013 4:37:57 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

I don't know, I might have agreed with this notion 12 months ago, but off of the back of The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises I don't think the genre has ever been in a better shape. There've been tons of flops over the last few years - Green Lantern, Jonah Hex, Ghost Rider 2 etc, but it doesn't seem to have effected the successful ones.

It's a good point, plus Marvel have so many different properties they can easily diversify into different genres, be it sci-fi, western, war or whatever. Just because it's a comic book doesn't mean it's all the same genre. However whether they'll want it to all work in the same universe is another matter...

For example, they could make Iron Fist into more of a martials art movie than a superhero movie. If they wanted to...

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 74
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 28/1/2013 4:47:26 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

quote:

It's a good point, plus Marvel have so many different properties they can easily diversify into different genres, be it sci-fi, western, war or whatever. Just because it's a comic book doesn't mean it's all the same genre. However whether they'll want it to all work in the same universe is another matter...

For example, they could make Iron Fist into more of a martials art movie than a superhero movie. If they wanted to...

But we are starting to see it creep in, ever so slightly.

Yes the Avengers made a lot of money but consider these points;

a) Dark Knight Rises likely made LESS money than The Dark Knight, (adjusted for inflation). You would expect such a huge sequel to get a boost. It still did amazing business, but no one expected it to run third in the years box office.

b) The Spiderman reboot. Yes it did good business, enough to gather a sequel. But it didn't hit the heights of the earlier films.

c) I know it is getting a sequel, but X Men: First Class made less than the first X-Men film in 2000.

Now these are still huge, huge franchises, but it feels like we are on the crest of the wave before it hits the ground again.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 75
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 28/1/2013 5:01:42 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

Personally I find the Cap to be the most endearing character out of the lot of them and would gladly welcome a sequel.

I could take or leave Thor though. Lets just hope there isn't a Hawkeye movie. Zzzzzzz

I agree reagrding CA character, and its a damn shame the movie didn't leave us some prequel movement! I would rather of seen more Captain America set in the 40s, as soon as CA the movie ends and hes in the present I lose all interest!. Really just felt a like a CA movie for the sake of it just so they could shoe horn him into The Avengers, same with Thor!. I dint mention Hawkeye or that woman from Lost in Translation as they are dull beyond measure in comparison to the other characters!.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 76
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 28/1/2013 5:04:59 PM   
AxlReznor

Reading through this thread, and it seems that my two favourite non-Avengers movies in the series so far (Iron Man 2 and Captain America), are the most hated ones by most everyone else.
I was expecting them to burn out with Captain America, and didn't bother going to see it in the cinema because I'd never been a fan of the character... then I saw it on Blu-Ray and thought it was the most fun movie of the lot. And I actually preferred Iron Man 2 because all of the origin stuff was out of the way.

My least favourite was Thor, because it was basically a fish-out-of-water comedy with a couple of fights in, instead of a comic book movie. And The Incredible Hulk was good fun, but not as good as the Iron Man or Captain America films.

At the moment, I feel they're on a roll, and I'm hoping Iron Man 3 continues the trend. Because as has been said before... one bad movie could derail the whole thing.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 77
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 28/1/2013 5:10:06 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

a) Dark Knight Rises likely made LESS money than The Dark Knight, (adjusted for inflation). You would expect such a huge sequel to get a boost. It still did amazing business, but no one expected it to run third in the years box office.

b) The Spiderman reboot. Yes it did good business, enough to gather a sequel. But it didn't hit the heights of the earlier films.

c) I know it is getting a sequel, but X Men: First Class made less than the first X-Men film in 2000.

Now these are still huge, huge franchises, but it feels like we are on the crest of the wave before it hits the ground again.

The Dark Knight Rises finished second in the years box office, not third. Which I think most people expected considering this was the year The Avengers happened.
Both Spider-Man reboot and X-Men: First Class had the added difficulty of following disappointing movies... pretty sure the sequels will do better (well, maybe not the X-Men one if The Wolverine is shit).

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 78
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 28/1/2013 5:10:18 PM   
Timon

For me, while Thor did have problems, it had heart which went a long way.

Captain America started well, but after he liberated the POW camp, it went downhill for me. It needed a scene where HYDRA's weapons actually posed a threat to the Allies, such as the 4th Army being wiped out or something. Instead we had a montage (which looked a lot of fun) before a green screen finale and an ending that had no punch or heart at all.

If JJ Abrams can do something similar in the first 10 mins of Star Trek, I have no idea how Joe Johnson dropped the ball so spectacularly for the film's ending. I should have had tears running down my face as Rogers crashed landed and he fought to get out of the wreckage before succumbing to the cold. But no. Nothing. Nada.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 79
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 28/1/2013 5:11:12 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Dark Knight Rises finished second in the years box office, not third. Which I think most people expected considering this was the year The Avengers happened.
Both Spider-Man reboot and X-Men: First Class had the added difficulty of following disappointing movies... pretty sure the sequels will do better (well, maybe not the X-Men one if The Wolverine is shit).

Skyfall overtook it to become the second biggest film of 2012.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 80
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 28/1/2013 5:12:26 PM   
AxlReznor

Are you talking UK or worldwide? Because worldwide Skyfall is at 3.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 81
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 28/1/2013 5:15:13 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Are you talking UK or worldwide? Because worldwide Skyfall is at 3.

Worldwide. Skyfall is five million off of Rises, and is currently making a crap load of money in China. It is going to overtake Rises (likely already has done) and become the second biggest film of the year.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 82
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 28/1/2013 5:19:43 PM   
AxlReznor

Okay. Well, if it has been overtaken by Skyfall, I'd say it's less to do with DKR failing to meet expectations, and more to do with Skyfall exceeding them.

I fail to see how any movie can make over $1 billion (something only a few movies have done so far) and be seen as not meeting expectations. Maybe a few years, when it's more commonplace, but not at the moment.

Also, I'm pretty sure all of the movies you mentioned have done far better on home release than they did at the box office. Home releases should always be taken into consideration, because I don't believe box office should be the be-all-end-all of a movie's success.

< Message edited by AxlReznor -- 28/1/2013 5:23:41 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 83
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 28/1/2013 5:22:27 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Okay. Well, if it has been overtaken by Skyfall, I'd say it's less to do with DKR failing to meet expectations, and more to do with Skyfall exceeding them.

I dunno - at the start of the year, I think we all had Rises pegged to win the year, and it made logical sense that if TDK made over a billion five years ago, it would make a lot more now. But it didn't work out that way. If we are being fair to the film, it might have had the same number of bums on seats.

I am sure Warner's aren't bothered too much. But it does suggest there is a ceiling for these films.

Going to be VERY interesting to see how Iron Man 3 fares.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 84
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 28/1/2013 5:26:32 PM   
Rgirvan44

I suppose what I am trying to say is

in 1992 Arnie made Terminator 2
in 1993 he made Last Action Hero

See how quickly it can all fall apart?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 85
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 28/1/2013 5:27:26 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

quote:

I dunno - at the start of the year, I think we all had Rises pegged to win the year, and it made logical sense that if TDK made over a billion five years ago, it would make a lot more now. But it didn't work out that way. If we are being fair to the film, it might have had the same number of bums on seats.

I am sure Warner's aren't bothered too much. But it does suggest there is a ceiling for these films.

I thought it was going to be between that and The Avengers, and knew that the fact that The Avengers was the culmination of not only years of preceding movies teasing it, but also a lot of fans wet dreams. Those elements combined with the fact that The Avengers is far more of a crowd-pleaser and more family friendly than Batman movies meant that it had the edge. DKR had the advantage of following up one of the biggest films ever, and featuring the world's most recognisable comic book character.

But anyway, yeah... I see your point.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 86
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 28/1/2013 5:40:03 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

I thought it was going to be between that and The Avengers, and knew that the fact that The Avengers was the culmination of not only years of preceding movies teasing it, but also a lot of fans wet dreams. Those elements combined with the fact that The Avengers is far more of a crowd-pleaser and more family friendly than Batman movies meant that it had the edge. DKR had the advantage of following up one of the biggest films ever, and featuring the world's most recognisable comic book character.

But anyway, yeah... I see your point.

I dunno - Avengers didn't seem like a sure thing - not least because both Thor and CA did a lot less business than the Iron Man films. In hindsight it seems obvious, but at the start of 2012 I don't think many pegged it for the heights it reached.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 87
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 29/1/2013 2:51:30 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

quote:

Isnt TDKR the highest grossing Batman film now? How is that supposed to be a disappointment?

And id say the tragic shootings during the weekend it opened did affect it box office take in america.Not in a major way obviously, but i think it would have made even more money had that sick cunt not gone on a shooting spree at that cinema.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 88
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 29/1/2013 4:38:49 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

If JJ Abrams can do something similar in the first 10 mins of Star Trek, I have no idea how Joe Johnson dropped the ball so spectacularly for the film's ending. I should have had tears running down my face as Rogers crashed landed and he fought to get out of the wreckage before succumbing to the cold. But no. Nothing. Nada.

Johnston's just not very good - I've always thought he was the weakest of the Lucas/Spielberg proteges.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 89
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 29/1/2013 7:55:10 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

I suppose what I am trying to say is

in 1992 Arnie made Terminator 2
in 1993 he made Last Action Hero

See how quickly it can all fall apart?

And in 1994 he made True Lies, the third highest grossest film of that year.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI