Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 15/7/2012 8:10:28 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

I am really interested to see what they do when RDJ's, Chris Evans' etc. deals are all done if those actors decide to move on
(as I suspect they will). Part of me hopes they leave it at that (will never happen if the films are still making a boatload of cash), move on to other characters in the Marvel stable (there's certainly plenty of those) or just reboot the whole thing again (which I would greet with a huge amount of eye-rolling). I guess it's something they're already working on, but since they're working on a fairly truncated timescale I would have thought they would have to have a reasonably clear plan in place.

My suspicion is that eventually they'll abandon the singular franchises and just do Avengers films with a revolving cast if necessary.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 31
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 15/7/2012 8:12:13 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
Perhaps their core problem is they seem to be a profit generating org rather than a creative one?

Anyone familiar with Marvel's business record will be aware of how they aint particularly good with money! I don't understand tho, are you suggesting the two are mutually exclusive? From a creative standing I thought The Avengers was a great success. As I've said in a previous comment, what Marvel are doing with the blockbuster form is genuinely innovative, I don't see how we can throw accusations of anti-creativity at them.

See I have heard this - but how is Marvelverse all that different than Harry Potter. Harry Potter carried the same cast through 8 films for 10 years. Both are big achievements though.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 32
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 15/7/2012 8:16:08 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

Perhaps their core problem is they seem to be a profit generating org rather than a creative one?

Anyone familiar with Marvel's business record will be aware of how they aint particularly good with money! I don't understand tho, are you suggesting the two are mutually exclusive? From a creative standing I thought The Avengers was a great success. As I've said in a previous comment, what Marvel are doing with the blockbuster form is genuinely innovative, I don't see how we can throw accusations of anti-creativity at them.

See I have heard this - but how is Marvelverse all that different than Harry Potter. Harry Potter carried the same cast through 8 films for 10 years. Both are big achievements though.

It isn't just maintaining a cast through a series of movies though is it? Marvel have created franchises that can stand alone as well as being part of a bigger, overarching story that occasionally brings those characters together. It's an impressively bold ambition.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 33
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 15/7/2012 8:17:09 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

But the big picture only works if each cog within it functions well.

You seem to be suggesting that one (or more) cogs aren't functioning well, which we don't know to be the case yet. All signs point to all being well at the moment, although I'll be the first to admit that basing an opinion on Comic-Con hype isn't the best way to judge things, but irregardless of that going in to Phase 2 Marvel are healthier than they've ever been as a film-producing force.

quote:

Like I say, I just found it interesting that people didn't seem to want to write about Iron Man 3, but rather news about title cards and so on. There does seem to have been a shift in how people are looking at the films post-Avengers, along the lines you describe above.

I don't know, I've seen plenty of articles that lead with Iron Man 3 above the others. Empire's lead news piece at the moment for example, is called IRON MAN 3 Rocks Comic-Con", the rest of the stories are in the sidelines. Bleeding Cool etc all have headline, standalone pieces on IM3 too.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 34
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 15/7/2012 8:18:49 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It isn't just maintaining a cast through a series of movies though is it? Marvel have created franchises that can stand alone as well as being part of a bigger, overarching story that occasionally brings those characters together. It's an impressively bold ambition.

Yeah, thats what I was referring to. I actually think that most of the cast are expendable. In fact, I'd probably go as far as to say that Downey is the only person they need to keep happy right now. It's the interlocking nature of the whole thing that's the innovative part.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 35
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 15/7/2012 8:19:21 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sure, and I recognise that. But the idea of these mega franchises started with Potter.

I also have to say that they haven't always been successful with balancing the individual film with the wider picture. Always remember watching Iron Man 2 and wondering how many people actually stayed for the post credits scene from the first one, and knew who Samuel L Jackson was supposed to be playing.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 36
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 15/7/2012 8:20:49 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

I think they've negotiated a fair few pitfalls surprisingly well, better than I anticipated anyway. The could easily have come unstuck with Thor or Captain America as well as the two you mention.

I'm not sure about the specifics, but I thought they'd committed to The Avengers prior to Cap and Thor? Irregardless of those two films performing well it was going to happen, but I suspect this wouldn't have been the case had IM2 nosedived.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 37
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 15/7/2012 8:22:20 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

I also have to say that they haven't always been successful with balancing the individual film with the wider picture. Always remember watching Iron Man 2 and wondering how many people actually stayed for the post credits scene from the first one, and knew who Samuel L Jackson was supposed to be playing.

I thought this too actually, although I don't recall hearing any complaints about it. Nor did it appear to do the franchise any harm.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 38
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 15/7/2012 8:22:52 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

I think they've negotiated a fair few pitfalls surprisingly well, better than I anticipated anyway. The could easily have come unstuck with Thor or Captain America as well as the two you mention.

I'm not sure about the specifics, but I thought they'd committed to The Avengers prior to Cap and Thor? Irregardless of those two films performing well it was going to happen, but I suspect this wouldn't have been the case had IM2 nosedived.

They were committed to The Avengers before Iron Man 2 - trying to remember if we knew about it before TiH got released?

If Iron Man 2 had bombed however it would all be pie in the sky.

Post #: 39
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 15/7/2012 8:23:21 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia
Guardian's of the Galaxy with Rocket Racoon.

Now, this I want to see. I like to think as the Avengers films also being experiments to see how much the audiences are willing to accept. If they released a Rocket Raccon film or one starring Ant Man six years ago, I don't think audiences would care. Now, if you slap' Marvel' on it, there's a fair chance folk will go and watch.

And I really want to see an Ant Man film directed by Edgar Wright. I really really do! I just hope they cast someone I like in the lead.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 40
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 15/7/2012 8:24:31 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

Sure, and I recognise that. But the idea of these mega franchises started with Potter.

Potter is one series of films tho, it doesn't interweave with anything other than it's own sequels and prequels. It's no different to the Lord Of The Rings series, or any other series of films that relies upon the same cast. The only difference with Potter is that there were more films.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 41
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 15/7/2012 8:24:58 PM   
elab49

It's fair enough if it's decently written but if it's just an interchangeable hero running out the same story again? Which I'd hope at least Wright won't do - and presumably using a lesser known character means there are fewer people to complain of any liberties.

And yup - that's the raccoon!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 42
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 15/7/2012 8:25:22 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

I thought this too actually, although I don't recall hearing any complaints about it. Nor did it appear to do the franchise any harm.

A lot of people were critical about the SHIELD/Avengers stuff being put into IM2. I would have thought Fury was a part of that. I think people let it slide because of the actor, but it is the sort of thing I am talking about moving forward. Going to be interesting to see.

Post #: 43
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 15/7/2012 8:26:53 PM   
superdan

quote:

Agreed, the Potter series was (and is) pretty much unique, and I imagine helped Marvel believe that what they wanted to do could be done.

quote:

IM2 vies with CA as the weakest of the bunch for me, and not just in the way it was used to 'promote' the budding Avengers theme. As for the post credits, nearly all the people I knew who watched it saw them, few knew who SLJ was playing, and fewer still cared. Most of them were like "Holy shit, was that Samuel L . Jackson?" It can be exciting wondering who or what someone represents though, as I found after watching the Avengers and didn't have a clue who that bad guy was at the end.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 44
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 15/7/2012 8:27:27 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

quote:

A lot of people were critical about the SHIELD/Avengers stuff being put into IM2. I would have thought Fury was a part of that. I think people let it slide because of the actor, but it is the sort of thing I am talking about moving forward. Going to be interesting to see.

Sorry I meant complaints directly about Sam Jackson by regular folk. I know there was some complaints that the whole thing was little more than an advert/dry run for The Avengers (much of which I'd agree with).

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 45
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 15/7/2012 8:29:03 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

Agreed, the Potter series was (and is) pretty much unique, and I imagine helped Marvel believe that what they wanted to do could be done.

quote:

IM2 vies with CA as the weakest of the bunch for me, and not just in the way it was used to 'promote' the budding Avengers theme. As for the post credits, nearly all the people I knew who watched it saw them, few knew who SLJ was playing, and fewer still cared. Most of them were like "Holy shit, was that Samuel L . Jackson?" It can be exciting wondering who or what someone represents though, as I found after watching the Avengers and didn't have a clue who that bad guy was at the end.

Actually that is a great one. I was like "Hellboy!?!" and then Adam corrected me.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 46
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 15/7/2012 8:29:04 PM   
superdan

quote:

quote:

quote:

They were committed to The Avengers before Iron Man 2 - trying to remember if we knew about it before TiH got released?

Do you think Avengers would have been as successful if Thor and CA had been complete turkeys?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 47
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 15/7/2012 8:32:05 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Do you think Avengers would have been as successful if Thor and CA had been complete turkeys?

Well thats the thing - both of them did well but in comparison to even the first Iron Man, CA was down 200M and Thor 100M. And that was with 3D included.

I think the idea was cool enough to get people through the door to be honest, and as elab says, Whedon doing this thing for mass entertainment gets results.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 48
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 15/7/2012 8:50:03 PM   
superdan

quote:

Well thats the thing - both of them did well but in comparison to even the first Iron Man, CA was down 200M and Thor 100M. And that was with 3D included.

I think the idea was cool enough to get people through the door to be honest, and as elab says, Whedon doing this thing for mass entertainment gets results.

To be fair, out of the Marvel stable only Raimi's Spiderman has done better than Iron Man (Avengers excepted) so it's perhaps not entirely fair to judge them against it. IM even destroyed the X-Men films, and it remains to be seen if the new Spiderman film can beat it (with 3D as well). CA and Thor were harder sells I think. CA suffers from Superman goody-two-shoes syndrome and was always going to struggle a bit more than the others outside of the US, and Thor was lead by a relative unknown in a world of Viking Gods, frost giants and rainbow bridges They both did better box office than I thought they might though.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 49
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 15/7/2012 8:59:45 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

EDIT: Kenneth Branagh is hardly a poor director, neither is Shane Black.

quote:

but when they've chosen better behind the camera the films have been better.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 50
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 15/7/2012 9:26:39 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

quote:

quote:

EDIT: Kenneth Branagh is hardly a poor director, neither is Shane Black.

quote:

but when they've chosen better behind the camera the films have been better.

Don't get catty just because you didn't bother reading a post properly, yo.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 51
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 15/7/2012 9:33:24 PM   
elab49

Is that what it's meant to mean? Don't like Anchorman, so I'm pleased I at least recognise the film 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 52
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 16/7/2012 12:34:32 PM   
TheSonicScrew

quote:

It's fair enough if it's decently written but if it's just an interchangeable hero running out the same story again? Which I'd hope at least Wright won't do - and presumably using a lesser known character means there are fewer people to complain of any liberties.

And yup - that's the raccoon!

From what I've heard this Ant-Man script features both iterations of the character - Hank Pym AND Scott Lang. Originally in the comics Lang steals the suit from Pym after he has given up being Ant-Man and goes on a wee bit of a crime spree, before eventually turning (kind of ) good.

Wright has said his Ant-Man could be be a bit of a spy thriller and would definitely have both versions of the character. If this is true, then it's a good sign in my opinion. We get to avoid the overly-familiar suphero origin story and get something different!

I mean...it's Edgar Wright. It's going to be good!

Personally I'd love to see Nathan Fillion as Hank Pym...there's a lot of fans online who want the same. He's said he's too old, but as the older Pym instead of the younger Lang, I think he'd be great!

And yeah, I really have to read more about Rocket Raccoon...he just seems awesome.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 53
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 16/7/2012 12:46:02 PM   
porntrooper

I never really thought the idea of having this Marvel Movie Universe would work. There were (and still are) elements that I dont really like mixing together, for example, the original Iron Man movie doesn't feel like a world that is also inhabited by Aliens and 'Gods' etc it feels pretty realistic and grounded before opening up and becoming more comic book in the sequel. However, I have to tip my hat to them for really managing to bring it together well for Avengers. The fact that 'Phase 2' is now moving along feels kinda wierd, I mean, Marvel are erally commited to keeping this thing going and keeping continuity through it all. My worry isn't burn out or over familiarity with certain characters though, it kinda comes back to my worries around 'Phase 1', and is really more directed at the Guardians movie. I cannot see any way in which a movie with a gun toting Racoon can sit comfortably alongisde the more realistic elements of the other movies. That aspect, along with the wider elements of this movie universe (Thanos, more Aliens, Guardians etc) seem soooo out there, I just cant see them alongside what we have already. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but honestly, I think trying to weave in too many fan favourites to one overall movie universe may be the undoing of it all. Some of these lesser known properties would be better off as stand alone franchises with no ties to the others.

"I've got an idea for a special infiltration technique. It involves draining a man of his blood and replacing it with Tizer."

(in reply to TheSonicScrew)
Post #: 54
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 16/7/2012 1:11:39 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: porntrooper
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but honestly, I think trying to weave in too many fan favourites to one overall movie universe may be the undoing of it all. Some of these lesser known properties would be better off as stand alone franchises with no ties to the others.

Just you wait, in 10 years time there'll be a movie where we see the Avengers, Ant-Man, the Fantastic Four and Blade taking on Spider-Man, Dr Strange, the X-Men and a space raccoon

(in reply to porntrooper)
Post #: 55
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 16/7/2012 1:14:25 PM   
porntrooper

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: porntrooper
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but honestly, I think trying to weave in too many fan favourites to one overall movie universe may be the undoing of it all. Some of these lesser known properties would be better off as stand alone franchises with no ties to the others.

Just you wait, in 10 years time there'll be a movie where we see the Avengers, Ant-Man, the Fantastic Four and Blade taking on Spider-Man, Dr Strange, the X-Men and a space raccoon

True....and these words will haunt me as I watch it and puke up my own bollocks at the sheer awesome.

"I've got an idea for a special infiltration technique. It involves draining a man of his blood and replacing it with Tizer."

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 56
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 16/7/2012 1:16:20 PM   
Timbzy

A couple of the animated films that DC have been putting out each year since 07 have been better than any of the live action films that Marvel or DC have put out. Particularly Batman: Under the Red Hood, Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, Batman: Year One and Justice League: The New Frontier.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 57
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 16/7/2012 1:18:19 PM   
Timbzy

quote:

quote:

You sound like someone who would get super excited when two shows you watch do a crossover episode.

quote:

Irregardless

lol

< Message edited by Timbzy -- 16/7/2012 1:25:21 PM >

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 58
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 16/7/2012 4:52:16 PM   
jobloffski

I'm pretty much pig sick of origin movies. They all begin to feel exactly the same after a while. That would be the burnout risk, as well as producing a number per year of solo hero films to fit established and continuing continuity to facilitate team up movies. IIt really does start to end up being like a great big TV series after a while. Individual heroes lose their uniqueness after a while, and team up movies with a solo hero facing a threat beg the question why don't his/her mates help and this would be over in no time.

Unless of course the team up movies are built around alternative earth/time/dimensional scenarios so the continuity for solo heroes is both parallel and distinct from the team up stuff.

Ultimately, will the non comic geek keep showing up for a slightly expanded version of the same ride each time?

All genres have a tipping point, and all genres fall from favour Marvel are risking being the ones to cause it to all crash down which would leave them screwed, unlike WB/DC, because Marvel only make comic book movies. Maybe they should diversify and make other kinds if film, but that's a big risk too.

Maybe they'd be better off introducing new characters in viral/promotional campaigns and sticking to team up movies for all but the big guns.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Timbzy)
Post #: 59
RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? - 16/7/2012 5:33:04 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timbzy

quote:

quote:

You sound like someone who would get super excited when two shows you watch do a crossover episode.

Incredible... it's like you've known me my whole life.

(in reply to Timbzy)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Are Marvel Risking Burnout? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI