Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Dark Knight Effect - 13/7/2012 10:45:59 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
The bitter Tim Burton - 13/7/2012 10:45:59 AM   
stevec32

Great feature, interesting to hear that Man of Steel won't likely be going entirely down that dark and gritty path based on his words. Tim Burton, however, really comes across as rather bitter, though. He seems to make it all about himself, rather than Nolan: "I got so much shit for being too dark". I'm a big fan of his, but he hasn't made anything of great quality in a while now, seems a little strange to hear he might be bitter. "I wish I hadn't had to go through quite so much torture". He hardly talks about Nolan's film at all, just brings it back to himself. Maybe it's just me...

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
The Bitter Burton - 13/7/2012 11:08:55 AM   
Spacecowboy

I completely agree - all the other filmmakers talk about Nolan's and TDK's achievements but Burton just talks about himself! I actually loved his Batman films, but when was the last time he made a decent movie? If theres one criticism I will level at Nolans Batman films is that maybe they're grounded a bit too much in reality - at the end of the day it is a man dressed up like a rubber bat. I really liked Burton's injection of fantasy into his films - particularly Batman Returns, which remains my favourite Batman Film, although maybe not for much longer....
My favourite Batman Movies:
1. Batman Returns
2. The Dark Knight
3. Batman Begins
4. Batman

The Dark Knight Rises may top the list going by everything ive seena nd hard so far, bring July 20th! :-D
I refuse to acknowledge Schumachers abominations.

Post #: 3
- 13/7/2012 2:23:11 PM   
Warm_Ice

It's not hard to imagine Tim having an angry rant at Helena about TDK's success just before bed. Probably every night.

Post #: 4
Iron Man...? - 13/7/2012 2:46:45 PM   
Warm_Ice

Also, I think Kevin Feige's assertion that Iron Man made as bold a statement as the Dark Knight doesn't quite ring true.

Post #: 5
Kevin Feige - 13/7/2012 3:19:12 PM   
glloyd24

"...because people don't always make the distinction between DC and Marvel." - could he be talking about Green Lantern? Or is he referring to Hulk, Electra, Daredevil, Blade Trinity, The Incredible Hulk or The Punisher?

Post #: 6
Kevin Feige - 13/7/2012 3:26:06 PM   
glloyd24

"...because people don't always make the distinction between DC and Marvel." - could he be talking about Green Lantern? Or is he referring to Hulk, Electra, Daredevil, Blade Trinity, The Incredible Hulk or The Punisher?

Post #: 7
Burton's Batman - 13/7/2012 3:30:19 PM   
glloyd24

I used to watch Batman Returns to death, the VHS was on it's last legs. It's a great movie but really the Nolan movies are far superior in terms of film making. Burton is talking only about style and not the substance which is why the Nolan movies are better. There isn't much going on under the Batman Returns cowl when you revisit it.

But then, that's where Burton is at the moment, style over substance (and he's been there a long time I'm sorry to say)

Post #: 8
- 13/7/2012 5:36:45 PM   
Halle

I love how Tim Burton starts talking about himself...

Post #: 9
RE: RE: - 14/7/2012 4:24:00 AM   
Lazarus munkey

Tim Burton. You wish.

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5
Post #: 10
Is it that great? - 14/7/2012 6:55:49 AM   
leonidasnz

I may be on my own here, but I think Batman Begins is a much better film. I enjoyed the Dark Knight, but nowhere near as much as the first film.

Post #: 11
- 14/7/2012 1:24:46 PM   
Agent69

God. The movie was a mess, it's time we all admit that.

Post #: 12
RE: - 14/7/2012 11:49:10 PM   
Lazarus munkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Agent69

God. The movie was a mess, it's time we all admit that.

If we happen to agree with it.

Which, personally, I don't. With bells on.

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to Agent69)
Post #: 13
Tim Burton - WTF?? - 15/7/2012 9:07:53 PM   
knoxy04

Tim Burton's comments sum up what a douche he is! He hasn't made a relevant film in over a decade.

Post #: 14
- 16/7/2012 10:45:03 AM   
ronniem

And it's Burton for douche of the day...jealous much?

Post #: 15
Gareth Edwards talking nonsense... - 17/7/2012 12:23:34 PM   
fiercehairdo

Gareth Edwards says: "I'm really pleased the movie was such a success because never again can a studio underestimate the audience."
Y'know, unfortunately, I think the days of studios underestimating audiences are far from over...

Post #: 16
Dry your eyes Tim B - 17/7/2012 12:41:30 PM   
tca

I used to be Burton fan - but these comments are just embarrassing!
You think Nolan is "lucky" cause he get's to make darker Batman movies than you could at the time!? If you think that it's just the darkness of his trilogy that makes them as huge a success as they deservedly are, then your mind must be as hollow as your recent film. .
Anyways, now's your chance - go ahead - try making a great, dark film for us - instead of dressing up Johnny in yet another slightly dark, slightly funny movie.

< Message edited by tca -- 17/7/2012 12:42:26 PM >

Post #: 17
stop bashing Burton - 18/7/2012 3:15:52 PM   
Dr Science

The knee-jerk adoration for Nolan is way over the top - give Burton some respect FFS. if he hadn't made Batman the successful phenomenon that it was back in 1989, then it's unlikely that we'd have had the studios investing in comic-book movies at all. You can argue that the biggest variable in making superhero movies a viable proposition was the development of CGI, but Burton's Batman was the first of its type to be deemed credible and to deliver box office success.

Yes he was a pioneer. Yes he took risks. Yes he took a lot of crap. And yes most of you people complaining about him failing to adore Nolan as much as you do, are probably too young to remember how fucking important that movie was. So get some context and some perspective and give the man some respect - he's earned the right to his opinion and if his opinion is bitter(sweet) then who are you to judge?

Post #: 18
Burtons ok but... - 19/7/2012 11:39:41 AM   
Mr.Beak

"stop bashing Burton"

er it's not a case of adoring Nolan. The article has obviously asked for the thoughts of these guys on Nolan but all Burton does is talk about himself. I like Burton I really do but he does come across as an ass here. sorry
Although I will agree that Burton took huge steps in bringing superheros' back onto the big screen ( they had been made before) but while I love a lot of Burtons work his Batman films are not even close to the quality of Nolans.

Can I also point out that (IMO) there is a very real difference between dark and gothic, nearly all Burtons fims are gothic in nature but not necessarily dark. just my opinion.

Post #: 19
Iron Man...? - 19/7/2012 1:40:34 PM   
Lewisaunders

Really? Iron Man was exactly what I expected it to be. Good guy vs bad guy. Good guy wins. The Dark Knight was so much more than that.
I mean let's be honest, if Marvel didn't have their big budgets, the movies would be aweful. Whereas if Nolan had a smaller budget with the Batman franchise, like he did with Memento, he still would've made something incredible.

Post #: 20
RE: stop bashing Burton - 21/7/2012 7:33:27 PM   
AmityBodega1977

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Science

The knee-jerk adoration for Nolan is way over the top - give Burton some respect FFS. if he hadn't made Batman the successful phenomenon that it was back in 1989, then it's unlikely that we'd have had the studios investing in comic-book movies at all. You can argue that the biggest variable in making superhero movies a viable proposition was the development of CGI, but Burton's Batman was the first of its type to be deemed credible and to deliver box office success.

Yes he was a pioneer. Yes he took risks. Yes he took a lot of crap. And yes most of you people complaining about him failing to adore Nolan as much as you do, are probably too young to remember how fucking important that movie was. So get some context and some perspective and give the man some respect - he's earned the right to his opinion and if his opinion is bitter(sweet) then who are you to judge?

Very well said my good man.

(in reply to Dr Science)
Post #: 21
RE: stop bashing Burton - 21/7/2012 10:48:51 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Science

A-hem.

Richard Donner's Superman.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Dr Science)
Post #: 22
RE: stop bashing Burton - 23/7/2012 6:36:44 PM   
Dr Science

ahem indeed - that's a fair point - but I would argue that by the time Batman came around Superman IV had pretty much single-handedly destroyed the credibility of the comic-book movie. Supergirl didn't help much either.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> The Dark Knight Effect Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI