Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

At the very least a 4 star review

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> At the very least a 4 star review Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
At the very least a 4 star review - 5/1/2014 7:28:29 PM   
Count Karnstein

Chris even admitted on the podcast that this should be a 4 star review... this film was amazing. Much better and fully formed than the Raid (the issue of which film was responsible for plagarising the other). The Raid also lets itself down with the 2 on 1 fight scene. Dredd is badass all the way through this film.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 211
Loved it! - 7/2/2014 3:27:57 PM   
aidofar

I loved this take on Dredd, Urban was superb. The film was visually perfect. The special effects made the violence look beautiful on screen. This film is a must for any action movie fans and appeals to fans of the original 2000AD Dredd character. I just wish they would make a sequel!

Post #: 212
- 10/2/2014 10:06:57 PM   
snooch69

I just lost a huge slice of respect for Empire! I'm the harshest critic of movies that I know of, but this movie is without doubt one of the coolest movies ever!!!comparing it with The Raid is like comparing a Jackie Chan film with John Woo movie. The plot might be similar in any given movie, but the approach is completely different. One is a essentially a exhibition of martial art, & the other a balls to the wall action film. Personally I enjoyed Dredd far, far more. The sense of 'Dredd' when the building goes into lockdown was awesome (siege movies are ALWAYS cool) & the dynamic between the two lead characters (both excellent) so engaging - I genuinely cared about them both & really hoped they both made it out alive.I know this is usually a given in these kind of films, but it takes Dredd about 90 seconds to teach you this is an 18 and all bets are off!
The banging soundtrack & instantly quoatable dialogue round off the greatest guy movie since Arnold stopped making gems like Predator, The Running Man & Commando. Its 5 stars all day long & should definitely get a an extra star for being that rarest of things..........both an 18 & a comic book adaptation. So Empire - stop sending love to foreign films just because you think reading subtitles is all hipster, & reward films that genuinely expand an entire genre.

Post #: 213
Someone give us a sequel. Someone... anyone... - 15/3/2014 4:00:02 AM   
doctorfishcake

Okay; not anyone, but this movie was a perfect launching pad for an incredible character. It was grim, but purposefully so - the source material is dystopian and violent, and this iteration of Dredd dared to put that on screen as faithfully as possible. In some ways its artistic strength was its commercial downfall - comic book characters are largely enjoyed by kids, and this was not kid-friendly material. I grew up with 2000AD and loved it; it was one of the better uses of 3D in recent cinema, used its relatively minuscule budget miraculously and, in Karl Urban, found an actor to carry off Dredd's utter lack of empathy with style. There are so many possibilities for Dredd - new or sourced from the comics. If anyone reading this has any influence at any film studio... come on. You know it makes sense.

Post #: 214
An Instant Cult Classic - 1/7/2014 12:23:08 PM   
Hillsman

I fail to understand why The Raid was awarded 5 stars and this only got 3. I watched The Raid last night and, while I enjoyed it, I was distinctly underwhelmed. Lots of shooting and fighting, but much of it a little hard to swallow and my heart-rate rarely gotta above mild interest.

By contrast, Dredd was outstanding from start to finish. It was grim and violent, yes. But here was a movie with style AND substance that portrayed an accurate on-screen version of a much-loved character. The film is quite lean, well edited and never boring - it even manages to be humourous (Dredd-style). Crucially, this is a film that I have already watched a few times and will certainly get watched again, putting it alongside the action beats of T-2, The Matrix, Die-Hard, Robocop (original), Blade and Aliens. Heady company indeed.

Post #: 215
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> At the very least a 4 star review Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI