Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Raid looked crap anyway

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Raid looked crap anyway Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 11/10/2012 11:52:52 PM   
manwihtheplan

quote:

I don't give a monkey's about box office receipts, this was a great movie, loved it.

Fair enough!

I'm trying to keep this thread going for some perverse reason. If no-one posts here the thread will disappear down the board and be lonely. I don't think I'll be able to keep posting until the DVD and Blu-ray release. Sauchieboy used to post a lot. He's a bit of a Dredd expert. He should post his detailed review.

(in reply to Happy Shrapnel)
Post #: 181
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 12/10/2012 12:46:03 AM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: manwihtheplan

quote:

I don't give a monkey's about box office receipts, this was a great movie, loved it.

Fair enough!

I'm trying to keep this thread going for some perverse reason. If no-one posts here the thread will disappear down the board and be lonely. I don't think I'll be able to keep posting until the DVD and Blu-ray release. Sauchieboy used to post a lot. He's a bit of a Dredd expert. He should post his detailed review.

This is just the review thread though, Dredd has a discussion already in Fave Films

Meanwhile...

(in reply to manwihtheplan)
Post #: 182
RE: Dredd - 31/10/2012 4:50:36 PM   
chris kilby

Judge Dredd was born of the same political and economic turmoil in the 1970s which produced The Sex Pistols and Margaret Thatcher. And Dredd’s always had an anarchic, punk sensibility (black leather and chains) which has always marked him out as a uniquely British creation.

Which is why the thrill-sucker infested Stallone film was such a miserable failure. It just didn’t get Dredd’s irony and satire. Strip him of that and he’s just a fascist. Like Batman. Which is why Judge Dredd’s American producers felt the need to set him against judges who were even bigger fascists than he was. Big mistake. As Dredd creator, John Wagner, himself said at the time, Judge Dredd belongs on the streets not the corridors of power. Which is why those flying bikes were such a dumb idea as well.

It didn’t help that the film was based on the most hackneyed (and atypical) Dredd story – the long-lost evil twin brother. The much more interesting Angel Gang should have been the main villains, not relegated to an easily disposable afterthought.

So after Stallone’s “pinball version of Blade Runner” (which, if anything, tried too hard and crammed too much in - block wars, The Long Walk, The Cursed Earth) I was hoping for something which got back to basics and Judge Dredd’s roots as a futuristic Dirty Harry. And I got it. This Dredd is as lean and mean as its budget and has an unmistakable Clint Eastwood snarl. Go ahead creeps – make my day!

Like Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight, Dredd really captures the essence of the character – a tricky proposition as Stallone discovered. And, to be fair, old Sly did his best but he was hopelessly miscast. You don’t put a big star in a film then keep his face covered. Audiences would just go “Huh!?!” And rightly so. Which is why Dredd should have been played by a relative unknown like Mark “Drake from Aliens” Rolston. Or a vanity-free character actor like Ron Perlman who’s used to his features being hidden by prosthetics. Not some narcissistic megastar – “Ooh, look at my pecs!” No.

While Perlman was born to play Dredd, Karl Urban’s an inspired choice. Relatively unknown and devoid of ego (unlike some Dredds I could mention!), he’s an incredibly versatile actor and never the same twice. A Viking pin-up in LOTR, he stole the show as Dr McCoy in Star Trek and was a suitably taciturn, monosyllabic presence as a Russian assassin in The Bourne Supremacy – the role which probably got him the Dredd gig in the first place.

Not many actors could pull Dredd off – not if they don’t want to spend the next 20 years in the cubes! – but Urban does it. It’s a great physical performance and he gives good chin. Moving slowly and deliberately Urban suggests the power which lies behind the “anger and control,” only putting a spurt on when he has to. Like when he runs a gauntlet of flying bodies as he dodges the sort of minigun fire which would give Blane from Predator a hard on.

Tellingly, where Stallone bellowed “I AM DUH LUH!” Urban virtually whispers Dredd’s catchphrase. Speak softly and carry a big nightstick. Which just goes to show people are more likely to listen to you if you don’t scream and shout all the time. There’s a lesson for us all there, I think…

Resisting Hollywood temptation to do yet another clichéd comic book origin story, Dredd is mercifully free of all the hackneyed backstory, cack-handed comic relief, woefully misjudged (not to mention illegal) love interest and other crude attempts to “humanise” a character who is supposed to be a cold, unsympathetic machine. Dredd isn’t a man – he IS The Law!

He’s also a complete bastard. That’s as it should be. He might be a fascist but he’s our fascist. Part of Dredd’s ambiguous appeal has always been there are times when even us wishy-washy liberals would be glad to see him coming round the corner. So it’s ironic that The Guardian loved Dredd while The Maul HATED it! (The Daily Maul accusing anyone of fascism is beyond satire.) And if The Maul hates it then it’s gotta be good, right?

Mind you, I don’t remember Dredd ever “stunning” anyone before, juve or not. So even this Dredd isn’t quite as big a bastard as he is in the comics.

Unlike the Stallone version, Dredd doesn’t get bogged down in needless exposition. A terse, noir-ish voiceover at the start tells the uninitiated everything they need to know (“800 million people living in the ashes of the old world… The Cursed Earth and The Cursed City…”) before immediately establishing Dredd as judge, jury and executioner with a neat sideline in drier-than-cordite gallows humour (Dredd encourages one perp to plead guilty just to save him the paperwork!) and deadpan one-liners (“Choke on this!”) with brutal efficiency (“I heard you, hotshot.”)

Dredd’s pitch black humour translates remarkably well from the comics. What laughs there are derive almost entirely from his sheer unbending rigidity and Dreddpan response to everything – a grunt here, a “Yeah” there. Judge Dredd’s so deadpan he makes Dirty Harry look like a screaming hysteric.

Mega City One maybe isn’t quite as futuristic as you’d wish but it’s futuristic enough. Downtown Johannesburg with some CG cityblock enhancements. It’s cheap, but it works. Although it coulda done with a hint of New York in there - the Statue of Judgement symbolically towering over the Statue of Liberty, say. But the Not-So-Big Meg has room to expand should sequels ever be an option. More claustrophobic than epic, Dredd makes the most of its obvious budgetary limitations. In some ways, they actually work to the film’s advantage. There are no droids, aliens or muties which would just have been distracting at this stage anyway. That stuff can always come later. A fanboy can dream, can’t he…?

Mega City One has always been a “logical” extension of Dirty Harry and Travis Bickle’s 70s urban hell - “It’s all deep end” Dredd snarls early on, coming about as close to a moment of introspection or weakness as he ever gets. But it’s also Wagner’s grotesque satire of America itself. Scottish by birth but raised in America, Wagner is both insider and outsider. The League of Fatties with their belly wheels being a perfect example of his sardonic, sideways view of the USA. Wagner, one of the great unsung heroes of comics, is nothing less than a modern day Swift.

But as Kim Newman has observed, Mega City One is also inherently Dickensian. And as presented onscreen, it is Thomas Hobbes’ “state of nature” where everyone is at each other’s throats and life is “nasty, brutish and short.”

Dredd’s nasty, brutish and short alright – always leave ‘em wanting more? And it makes few if any concessions to the audience or franchise-generating respectability. The violence and profanity (genuinely shocking in these sanitised times when even Paul Verhoeven’s back catalogue gets put through the 12A grist mill) is pleasingly old-school - the only “Drokk” here is on the back of a perp’s jacket! That too is very British. Like it or lump it, creeps. Up yours! I’m alright Dredd. And you can’t get more British than that. I’m sure the judge would approve. Even if American audiences didn’t. Buncha wimps.

Which is ironic since violence lies at the heart of Judge Dredd just as it lies at the heart of America. Even as a kid, I always knew that a faithful Judge Dredd movie would be an automatic 18 certificate. At least! And this is hardcore. Like Dredd should be. None of yer sanitised, 12A Hollywood bollocks here. There’s lashings of the old ultra-violence. And it’s unflinching stuff. Eyes are gouged, flesh is torn and heads explode. Bullets tear through faces (taking teeth and fragments of jawbone with them), victims are skinned alive and, in one agonisingly protracted money shot, a face pizzas into a sidewalk, filling the screen with blood – a red-out! – all in lingering “Slo-Mo.” Nice. Dredd won't win any BAFTAs but Fangos are assured. Gore hounds, bloodthirsty fanboys and yer granny’ll love it! But wot, no ricochet bullets? They missed a trick there, I think – fleeing perps in a lift…

Against my better judgement I shelled out to see this in 3D since Dredd was actually shot in 3D by the great Anthony Dodd-Mantle. (Not that I had much drokking choice - mutter, mumble, moan…) And… It was alright, I suppose. But while it augmented the heightened Slo-Mo sequences and the credits looked nice, I doubt it added much to the experience overall.

At least there were valid storytelling reason for this increasingly annoying gimmick for a change. The drug Slo-Mo (which appears to affect the part of the brain known as “Shatner’s Bassoon”) being the perfect excuse for Vantage Point Director, Pete Travis, to indulge his Sam Peckinpah tendencies; Dredd’s dystopian de-saturated pallet giving way to vivid, trippy colour whenever Slo-Mo is toked or Anderson struts her Psi-stuff.

Olivia Thirlby acquits herself well as Rookie Judge Anderson, vulnerable yet tough and she knows how to deliver a roundhouse kick. With the whole point of Dredd being he never changes, it’s up to the sidekick to carry all that character arc stuff, setting a template for future Dredd movies which could have the likes of Chopper in a similar role. Anderson’s presence was a shrewd move which hints at mutants, Dark Judges and a lot of the weirdness Dredd routinely encounters; subconsciously priming audiences for things to come. I hope.

More serious than she is in the comics, Anderson can still be amusingly flippant: “Welcome to the inside of your head. Kinda empty in here.” Though nowhere near as flippant as Dredd’s last big screen sidekick who didn’t go down too well if I remember right.

Judge Dredd may be set in America but it’s very British in tone and, er, execution. Dredd is almost a parody of the American hero - the machismo and fascism of a Dirty Harry exaggerated to ludicrous extremes. Almost? There’s no “almost” about it.

While the sort of perp Dredd would deal with in six pages of the comics, Lena Heady’s generic drugs queenpin, Ma-Ma (Barker?) was actually a good call as introductory antagonist. Created specially for the film and not as scene-stealingly OTT as Dredd’s more iconic foes, the focus rightly falls on him a la Batman Begins. But she’s still an interesting character in her own right and provides a fascinating dynamic with the judge – judge and perp, right and wrong, yin and yang, but above all, male and female. Dredd and Ma-Ma have a lot in common. Both talk low, move slow and neither ever raises their voice cos they don’t have to – two sides of the same coin?

This is interesting cos one thing Judge Dredd never touches on is sexual politics. Ma-Ma isn’t just another perp. A former prostitute who only turned Godmother after taking eye-watering revenge on her pimp for mutilating her face, she is your classic “wronged woman,” as much victim as villain. Not that Dredd is remotely bothered by such nuances. Whether you’re a jaywalker or Judge Death, his response is always the same: “Stop or I shoot!”

You don’t tend to get “castration anxiety” in 2000AD either; a slyly satirical comment on this most macho yet celibate of comic book heroes? Dredd is conspicuously a virgin – who said “Like his fans”? Maybe there’s a lot of pent-up sexual frustration behind his “anger and control.” Sometimes a gun is just a gun. A great big not-at-all-Freudian gun. I’m telling you, lurking behind the helmet, blood and guts, Dredd is the unlikeliest feminist tract since The Krays. No, seriously…

Now that’s what I call a lock-down. Trapped inside a run-down cityblock (incongruously called “Peach Trees”), Dredd and Anderson have to fight their way through 200 storeys of gun-toting perps, punks and creeps just to stay alive. And no, I haven’t seen The Raid yet. Although from what I’ve heard, both owe a lot to Die Hard. Indeed, the pitch for this could easily be Dirty Harry meets Die Hard. In the future! I’d buy that for a dollar!

Dredd is now officially the second-best Judge Dredd movie ever. After Robocop of course which cleverly inverted Dredd’s premise. Dredd is a man who is basically a machine, whereas Robo was a machine who was basically a man, thus making him something Dredd cannot (and should not) ever be – sympathetic. Not that Dredd has much sympathy for light-fingered perps. Robocop shooting that rapist in the balls was pure Judge Dredd. As was his liberal use of the word “creep.” So when Dredd 209 warns “You have 20 seconds to comply…” Alex Garland was just returning the favour. Better that than five years in the cubes for grand larceny.

There are lots of fanpleasing throwaway references (perps, cubes, Resyk) which add texture and suggest a wider world beyond the necessarily claustrophobic confines of the limited budget as well as possible hints at sequels. Especially the graffiti – Chopper, Krysler, Kenny Who? (Sylvester Who? more like!) There’s even a dead Fattie complete with belly wheel! But thankfully no exposition about the judges at all. That can come later. Grud, it took the comics more than thirty years to get round to that!

Then there are all the cityblocks named after 2000AD art and script droids – Mills, O’Neill and Dredd creators Wagner and Ezquerra who also, rightly, get prominent first billing in the end credits as well. Now that’s respect!

And while some fans will inevitably gripe about shoulder pads and Lawmaster tyres (you know, the really important stuff!) the bikes looked good and the Judges’ uniforms were well thought out. Leather riot gear basically. No spandex and not a gold Versace codpiece to be seen! And that old exploding Lawgiver gag never gets tired.

Paul Leonard-Morgan’s pounding industrial score isn’t all that different from Geoff Barrow’s rejected soundtrack (since released as DROKK – Music Inspired By Mega City One and highly recommended, like Blade Runner re-scored by John Carpenter). This is more futuristic Lalo Schifrin, which couldn’t be more apt.

Dredd’s as brutal and uncompromising as Dredd himself. I just wish it was longer. But better 90 half-decent minutes than nothing, I suppose. And it’s much better than the first one. So a good, solid movie if nothing spectacular or particularly ambitious. But what it does it does well, adapting a very tricky property without completely drokking it up which is something of a minor miracle. A franchise-generating hit or not (and it’s looking increasingly unlikely) future cult success is assured and that could still mean sequels some day. So one for the fanboys, then. And this fanboy is eternally grateful. I know - what’s the world coming to?

Admirably self-contained, Dredd certainly deserves franchise-generating success if only because it’s one of the few comic book adaptations which doesn’t arrogantly presume sequels are inevitable. Cos they ain’t. And it’s a better film as a result. Dredd is very deliberately and economically set up as just another day in the life of its grim antihero; a routine drugs bust as far as he’s concerned. And, job done, bigger-budgeted sequels can expand on this into broader, weirder canvases such as The Cursed Earth and The Dark Judges.* The Grud Lord willing and Old Smelly don’t rise…

In a word – zarjaz!

* (Those guys weren’t Dark Judges were they? Or will be? And was it just me or did one of them sound suspiciously like Stallone…?)

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 31/10/2012 7:15:06 PM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 183
RE: Dredd - 31/10/2012 5:00:19 PM   
Happy Shrapnel

Wow Chris, superb write up...agree with everything you say.

In John Le Mesurier's last words........

' Its All Been Rather Lovely '

Happy Trails

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 184
RE: Dredd - 31/10/2012 5:03:28 PM   
chris kilby

Doesn't everyone?

(Thanks, BTW. )

< Message edited by chris kilby -- 31/10/2012 5:16:11 PM >

(in reply to Happy Shrapnel)
Post #: 185
RE: Dredd - 31/10/2012 5:08:53 PM   
Rgirvan44

Good review Chris - but I really don't think the Dark Judges work in that world developed within the film. They feel like a step too far.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 186
RE: Dredd - 31/10/2012 5:25:23 PM   
chris kilby

Depends how they're done, I suppose. Which is why I think there's a distinct possibility there was a sly bit of setting up/wishful thinking going on with those other judges...

Garland has made no secret of the fact he would like to do Judge Death at some point. He has also mentioned The Cursed Earth. So how would you feel about dinosaurs...?

PS: Whether it's Cal or The Cursed Earth next (assuming there is a next), I'd bet my right nut that Chopper'll be Dredd's sidekick in a sequel - probably in the Spikes Harvey Rotten role.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 187
RE: Dredd - 31/10/2012 11:04:15 PM   
jobloffski

Whether the Dark judges would work or not depends very much on the whether there is a sequel to the film anyway, but, hell, if you can have psi-cops, already a supernatural element, you can introduce Dark Judges in the third film, after a more sprawling Mega city one set sequel opening up the world. It's all about the next challenge presented to the protagonist. Make him the law in the city, then go beyond the situation his role gives him the power to be in judgement on. Easy

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 188
RE: Dredd - 1/11/2012 8:18:34 AM   
Happy Shrapnel

I grew up with the comics as well, but I don't boast the background knowledge of Chris and I'm not a fanboy !
However, as I said earlier in this thread, this movie needs to be judged on its own merit.
This was a great movie, unashamedly fun, and the writers, makers need to be applauded for stripping the film back, not filling it with Dredd gimmickry.
They made a basic character movie with the budget they had and they pulled it off. It was entertaining and in some places breathtaking in its shots.
I loved it.

< Message edited by Happy Shrapnel -- 1/11/2012 8:19:11 AM >

In John Le Mesurier's last words........

' Its All Been Rather Lovely '

Happy Trails

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 189
RE: Dredd - 4/11/2012 1:17:58 AM   
manwihtheplan

Best ever review of Dredd:

quote:

This movie ripped off The Raid. It's not a bad film but it's lacking the creativeness and soul the Raid had and The Raid wasn't even a very good movie to begin with to be stealing plot points.

Yeah, he's right. If you're gonna copy from other films and least copy from Carry On Camping or Digby, the Biggest Dog in the World.

< Message edited by manwihtheplan -- 4/11/2012 1:21:06 AM >

Post #: 190
RE: Dredd - 4/11/2012 5:53:58 PM   
sauchieboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: manwihtheplan

Best ever review of Dredd:

quote:

This movie ripped off The Raid. It's not a bad film but it's lacking the creativeness and soul the Raid had and The Raid wasn't even a very good movie to begin with to be stealing plot points.

Yeah, he's right.

That's some ill-informed pish a dimwit posted on IMDB, Scott (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1343727/board/flat/206522722). How fucking desperate are you to find anyone with anything negative to say about this film that you're re-posting irrelevant crap that other folk have spewed out on other forums? This is a thread for members of this forum to post their own reviews of the film; if that guy wants to post here, he can sign up and post for himself.

You know Dredd was scripted and filmed long before The Raid (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1343727/faq#.2.1.6)

(in reply to manwihtheplan)
Post #: 191
RE: Dredd - 4/11/2012 6:55:39 PM   
rich

So is he going to get banned again or what?

Meanwhile...

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 192
RE: Dredd - 18/11/2012 1:47:38 AM   
Lord_Summerisle_

In the now unlikely event that Dredd will get a sequel,isn't a much more logical,realistic (given the lo-fi depiction of the Mega City One presented on screen) and also budget-friendly choice going to be a variation on the "America" storyline? this has always been hailed as one of the best stories anyway and it would be a perfect way to expand Dredd's world while staying true to the vision of the first film.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 193
Awesomeness - 1/1/2013 11:03:48 AM   
danielthompson99

I grew up with the 2000AD comics, and it is so great to see Dredd treated properly for the big screen. There are budget restraints noticeable from the lack of CGI sequences outside of Peach Trees, and you know what, that's a good thing !
This is a gritty, knarly movie that isn't shy about showing the odd exploded head. The action is tight and tense. There is an excellent screenplay from (The Beach) Alex Garland which is stripped down and raw. There are also some nice nods to the comic included, (the Chopper graffiti and a Fattie).
Comparisons to The Raid are inevitable, but they really are different animals. The Raid is a focussed martial arts movie (after the stairway massacre anyway), where-as Dredd is a sci-fi action movie. The inclusion of the mutant psychic Judge Anderson creates some wonderful scenes. ("He's thinking about going for your gun. He's just changed his mind.") The slo-mo sequences are breathtaking.
If you like your action movies gritty and gore filled, this is a winner.

< Message edited by danielthompson99 -- 1/1/2013 11:06:42 AM >

Post #: 194
RE: Awesomeness - 9/1/2013 10:26:11 PM   
Phubbs

Dredd

Take two for this adaptation of the classic British dystopian sci-fi comic book character. Not that I disliked the first Stallone attempt, I think that has been given a harsh time personally. Sure it wasn't adult enough and had Rob Schneider in it but they captured the look and feel I thought.

I liked the plot idea for this film, the two Judges trapped within this enormous tower block and having to take down all the perps. Not exactly original but a good recipe for action, a slight nudge towards 'Die Hard' perhaps, mixed with 'The Raid'. Its also neat that 'Mega City One' has loads of these massive towers, so theoretically each tower may have the same criminal problem as this one. This gives you an idea of how big/vast the cities criminal problems are and the genesis for lots of stories within this universe, it gives a nice depth to this universe too.

First thoughts for this new film and I was slightly disappointed to be honest. As the movie opens up and we get narration about the worlds current climate I felt myself thinking this world doesn't actually look very futuristic. Now I didn't expect robots, laser guns and other typical sci-fi cheese but I guess I did expect a kind of...without trying to sound too cliched, 'Blade Runner' type world/environment. 'Mega City One' didn't really look very eye blisteringly cool, just looked like a massive urban sprawl, realistic yes, exciting no, perhaps a bit too realistic?.

I liked that they tried to keep things more grounded and in a possible near future which isn't too far fetched (I'm guessing), but it didn't really feel overly futuristic. This also goes for all the druggies and bad guys holed up in the massive tower block that Dredd takes on. Most of them dressed and looked like your average hoodie youths I see on the street today, bright coloured t-shirts, polo shirts, tracksuits, gold chains etc...Again I realize its a real take and we don't want them dressed in luminous spandex, but I just expected a bit more I suppose.

As for Dredd and his partner its all good, I loved the way they brought Dredd's suit down to earth, made it look functional and yet kept it recogniseable for the fans. Urban was also top notch as Dredd with his gravely voice (not as stupid as Bale's 'Batman', about on par with Eastwood) and trademark sneer, my only criticism would be he didn't look very big. I was impressed with Thirlby as 'Anderson' and the way her psychic abilities were handled, could so easily of been corny. Thirlby did a really good job as the wet behind the ears rookie, she conveyed that nicely whilst also being really cute at the same time. As her confidence grows surrounded by violence so does her appeal to you the viewer.

The main head villain is played by a woman here which is a nice turn but ultimately ends being rather mundane. Lena Headey plays the role well and she does comes across as a real bitch that you just wanna see get blown away, but she never really does much apart from one scene. Her comeuppance is also pretty weak and slightly anti climatic.

The film is as violent as I expected, it goes from being a bit too ridiculous with skinning people (bit odd and sick that), to gut splitting, face piercing, head shattering shoot outs. Gotta love that gun Dredd uses eh, its right up there with 'Robocop's' hand cannon. I also liked that the film looms towards a Verhoeven style for gunning people down but I gotta say I didn't like all the slow motion. Yes I know that's the whole point with this drug but I just hate that kind of crap, I just wanna see the action, the slow motion just stops it dead, very frustrating.

Most definitely a success with this reboot mainly because it was done for the adult audience, I wonder if Hollywood has clicked on that yet?. Its no 'Die Hard' beater and its not the best action film I've seen recently but its a solid gritty film. Would like to see more futuristic shine in any sequel though, just a touch.

(in reply to danielthompson99)
Post #: 195
RE: Awesomeness - 10/1/2013 9:55:13 AM   
CORLEONE

I hope Dredd is a smash on DVD cos it deserves a sequel. I applaud the makers for targeting an adult audience. Unfortunately the box office numbers will tell the moneymen that was a bad move.

I re-watched it the other day and thoroughly enjoyed it again.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 196
Empire gets Judged - 13/1/2013 12:05:15 AM   
Normal Control

Your low star rating for Dredd will go down with your 5 stars for AOTC in the anals of your review history.

Post #: 197
Not Jozi, Cape Town - 16/1/2013 8:39:36 AM   
Enzino

Most of those exterior shots and the courtyard of Peach Trees was in fact filmed in Cape Town.

Post #: 198
DREDDFUL... - 17/1/2013 4:53:10 PM   
logan 5

Not a chance this is definitely the way Dredd should be portrayed on screen as close a portrayal of the original character as you will probably be able to get and what is great for me about this version is that it is not an origin story but just a day in the life of a street judge and that is important because that is what separates it from most if not all of the anti-hero movies available and the fact that the anti climatic ending is a reflection of how a street judge would deal with a homicidal law breaker ie; dispense justice on the spot in this case ( spoiler alert) by throwing her out the window jacked up on her own vile product (because he can) gives the film in my opinion a better ending that a glorified shoot out because it keeps it real in line with what would happen if you we're faced with a one on one situation with an unarmed yet redicuously guilty sociopath . So all in all very violent but very necessary to get the whole point of a lawless society and the men and women who have to try and police it across - Great !

Post #: 199
I agree with the review wholeheartedly - 24/1/2013 7:33:07 AM   
MusicLovesYou

But I'm pushing my rating up to four stars for one reason - Karl Urban. He's amazing in this, truly he was born to play Dredd. The fact that Dredd is so unfunny, fascistic and stern makes him, at times, hilarious but it never spills over into parody or irony. Thought it was really well put together on a clearly tiny budget (by comparison with other 'comic book' movies') and making it gory, nasty and violent as hell is exactly what was needed. Really, REALLY hope they make another, if only to see the Urban's frankly ridiculous manly chin in the helmet again.

Post #: 200
RE: I agree with the review wholeheartedly - 28/1/2013 1:21:31 PM   
blackduck

Odd one this, it's hard to watch it without compring it to The Raid which is a bit unfair. Although they both have the same basic set up they are both trying to do different things.
Dredd is an action movie, the Raid is a stripped bare adrenalin hit.

Overall though it was a good movie that could do with a bigger budget sequel.

Urban was great as Dredd and they got the realism/cartoon balance right with the uniform (bikes were a bit rubbish though).

The only real dissapointment was megacity it's amazing in the long shots, bit too dull up close, but nothing a bigger budget couldn't fix.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to MusicLovesYou)
Post #: 201
- 2/2/2013 8:23:35 PM   
theoriginalcynic

I loved it! Much better than the Raid. Pleasantly surprised as my expectations were low. Bring on the sequel.

Post #: 202
RE: - 2/2/2013 8:25:31 PM   
theoriginalcynic

I loved it! Much better than the Raid. Pleasantly surprised as my expectations were low. Bring on the sequel.

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 203
RE: RE: - 2/2/2013 8:42:32 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

Umm.. about the sequel..

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 204
RE: RE: - 2/2/2013 9:37:10 PM   
theoriginalcynic

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

Umm.. about the sequel..

They're confident it will still happen. Fingers crossed for strong Blu-ray / DVD sales.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 205
RE: RE: - 3/2/2013 6:12:18 PM   
Rgirvan44

There is not going to be another cinema sequel...maybe a direct to DVD movie but that will be it.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 206
What a Dredd movie should be - 5/2/2013 8:07:15 PM   
gfish1

Frankly it was brilliant (it's a shame the cinema Gods gave The Raid the head start), and its great to see a Dredd movie where he keeps his helmet on, as he should. 5 stars for action, one of the greats in comic book adapations and well worth the wait to watch it on DVD (btw, being an 18 not a 15 another reason for it not doing aswell as it deserved to). It's just a shame Stallone's Dredd movie cursed this franchise slightly.

Post #: 207
What a Dredd movie should be - 5/2/2013 8:07:21 PM   
gfish1

Frankly it was brilliant (it's a shame the cinema Gods gave The Raid the head start), and its great to see a Dredd movie where he keeps his helmet on, as he should. 5 stars for action, one of the greats in comic book adapations and well worth the wait to watch it on DVD (btw, being an 18 not a 15 another reason for it not doing aswell as it deserved to). It's just a shame Stallone's Dredd movie cursed this franchise slightly.

Post #: 208
RE: What a Dredd movie should be - 8/3/2013 6:16:08 PM   
Willy Wood

Found it somewhat claustrophobic and a little disappointing, dredd falls way short of Robocop.

(in reply to gfish1)
Post #: 209
"How the fuck we gonna stop this guy?" - 30/9/2013 12:20:39 PM   
movienut707

Dredd struts his tough guy act, a young rookie fights to maintain her humanity, crooks get high, violence abounds, and judgment is served. In essence, if Training Day and Escape From New York shacked up and made a baby... well, you get the idea.

< Message edited by movienut707 -- 3/10/2013 4:38:52 PM >

Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Raid looked crap anyway Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI