Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Dredd

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Dredd Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Dredd - 2/10/2012 11:37:28 AM   
SwozTheRevenge

- Bloody TRIPLE post... -

< Message edited by SwozTheRevenge -- 2/10/2012 11:38:14 AM >

@ChairmanBLAOW

(in reply to Mtsb)
Post #: 151
RE: Dredd - 2/10/2012 11:37:29 AM   
SwozTheRevenge

- Bloody TRIPLE post... -

< Message edited by SwozTheRevenge -- 2/10/2012 11:38:05 AM >

@ChairmanBLAOW

(in reply to Mtsb)
Post #: 152
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 2/10/2012 4:47:08 PM   
manwihtheplan

My overall feelings of Dredd 3D...

1) Uninspired title. Sticking 3D on the end of a title make it sound a bit naff although I think it's fair to say Jaws 3D is the second greatest motion picture ever made.

2) Plot? Well, kinda wafer thin. Put it this way if Dredd 3D were a woman she wouldn't need to lose any weight. Want some more donuts, darling? No, I didn't think so.

3) Box office? Wow - sure tanked stateside. Deserved to do better.

Dredd 3D is enjoyable enough once you get past the video game type plot which does little to showcase the world and culture of Mega-City 1. The forthcoming Judge Minty fan film should be the closest 'film' adapation of 2000AD's Judge Dredd. The fan film is scheduled to be out later this year (fingers crossed).

However, if you want the proper Judge Dredd, go read it in 2000AD (the stories by John Wagner and Alan Grant). When it comes to Judge Dredd, the comic book version will always reign supreme. Compared to the best Wagner/Grant Judge Dredd stories, Dredd 3D is a poor relative.

< Message edited by manwihtheplan -- 2/10/2012 4:48:18 PM >

(in reply to leroythemasochist)
Post #: 153
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 2/10/2012 9:03:16 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: manwihtheplan

1) Uninspired title. Sticking 3D on the end of a title make it sound a bit naff although I think it's fair to say Jaws 3D is the second greatest motion picture ever made.

2) Plot? Well, kinda wafer thin. Put it this way if Dredd 3D were a woman she wouldn't need to lose any weight. Want some more donuts, darling? No, I didn't think so.

Dredd 3D is enjoyable enough once you get past the video game type plot which does little to showcase the world and culture of Mega-City 1. The forthcoming Judge Minty fan film should be the closest 'film' adapation of 2000AD's Judge Dredd. The fan film is scheduled to be out later this year (fingers crossed).

However, if you want the proper Judge Dredd, go read it in 2000AD (the stories by John Wagner and Alan Grant). When it comes to Judge Dredd, the comic book version will always reign supreme. Compared to the best Wagner/Grant Judge Dredd stories, Dredd 3D is a poor relative.

dreddhead! Nice to see you back again!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to manwihtheplan)
Post #: 154
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 2/10/2012 9:44:19 PM   
manwihtheplan

quote:

dreddhead! Nice to see you back again!

No comment.

< Message edited by manwihtheplan -- 2/10/2012 9:47:54 PM >

Post #: 155
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 2/10/2012 10:12:28 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

Agree.

Post #: 156
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 3/10/2012 11:32:17 AM   
SwozTheRevenge

quote:

Yeah, did that, and have been doing that for a very long time, yet DREDD THREEEEDEEEEE is my favourite film of the year so far. So bully for me.

@ChairmanBLAOW

Post #: 157
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 3/10/2012 4:02:11 PM   
manwihtheplan

5 Reasons Dredd 3D Is The Best Comic Book Movie Of 2012

http://whatculture.com/film/5-reasons-dredd-3d-is-the-best-comic-book-movie-of-2012.php#comment-148345

5 Reasons Why Dredd Sucked

http://whatculture.com/film/5-reasons-why-dredd-sucked.php

Can't please everyone, eh?

This is why Dredd 3D failed at the American box office?

quote:

1. No Relatable Characters

It must be one of the first things that is taught in Screenwriting 101; create characters your audience can relate to. They don’t have to be someone who the audience literally feel exactly the same as, like Luke Skywalker, Frodo Baggins or other heroes from the same batch. But there needs to be something that the audience can latch on to. In fact I can’t think of any great film that doesn’t have at least one relatable character. By the end of Psycho, we’ve been at points directly following four different characters (Marion, Norman, Arbogast and Lila). One is stealing a vast sum of money from her boss and another is hiding the dead body of the woman who up until three minutes ago was the audience’s viewpoints. And yet we still feel for the characters, understanding their motives and allowing them to bring us into their world.

Judge Dredd is by his very nature an unlikable and unrelatable character. He is a literally faceless lawgiver working for a oppressive government with has no human characteristics who just kills people on the spot. He may work as the driving force of a short comic strip, but for 95 minutes (and a long 95 minutes at that) it doesn’t work.

You can imagine that was why Anderson was written into the script. A rookie training with Dredd, she’s an orphan struggling to make the pass grade to become a Judge; typical empathy character. But Olivia Thirlby plays her so closed and the character’s psychic ability only further distances her from the audience. To make things worse, as the film develops she looses all semblance of an emphatic role; after a brief moment of worrying over killing she is happy to gun down as many thugs as it takes.

The lack of empathy with the characters is by far the worst thing in the film. We as an audience have no way in to the story and thus it all washes over us, highlighting just how poor the film actually is.

Yep, I agree with that. The fundamental problem with Judge Dredd is he has no conventional 'movie hero' morality. I think Americans movie goers will never accept a hero that's so unlikeable. The great paradox of Judge Dredd is the very thing that makes the character such an iconic comic book hero - his lack of humanity - is the very thing that destroys the character's international box office chances. The character is ideal for comics - because the readers buy into the concept - but when it's adapted to movies the audience go "I'm supposed to like this guy? He's a fascist! Gimme Batman over this guy."

< Message edited by manwihtheplan -- 3/10/2012 4:28:26 PM >

Post #: 158
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 5/10/2012 12:00:45 PM   
manwihtheplan

I don't think Dredd 3D is going to be a hit at next year's American Christian Convention!

http://www.movieguide.org/reviews/movie/dredd.html

quote:

DREDD is not only a frontrunner for the worst movie of the year, but easily stands as one of the most repellent films of all time.

It's possible Alex Garland missed a trick and that was to add a bit more humour or absurdity to the story to offset the grim world of MC-1. In this respect I think Garland and DNA Films were a bit short-sighted or naive. If you make the tone of a Judge Dredd film relentlessly grim don't expect millions of people to want to pay to see it. And er.. clearly that's what's happened! Whoops.

< Message edited by manwihtheplan -- 5/10/2012 12:08:52 PM >

Post #: 159
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 6/10/2012 4:04:18 PM   
sauchieboy

Red Letter Media's Half in the Bag review of Dredd is smart and perceptive in a way that even the dozens of great reviews the film received seldom managed to be:

http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-looper-and-dredd/

Post #: 160
BladeRunner has a brother - 6/10/2012 7:10:13 PM   
BatSpider

quote:

I don't think Dredd 3D is going to be a hit at next year's American Christian Convention!

quote:

DREDD is not only a frontrunner for the worst movie of the year, but easily stands as one of the most repellent films of all time.

It's possible Alex Garland missed a trick and that was to add a bit more humour or absurdity to the story to offset the grim world of MC-1. In this respect I think Garland and DNA Films were a bit short-sighted or naive. If you make the tone of a Judge Dredd film relentlessly grim don't expect millions of people to want to pay to see it. And er.. clearly that's what's happened! Whoops.

I'd have thought the American Christian Convention would be well up for a spot of violence, mass gun ownership and extreme punishment.

Maybe the problem is that Garland had the balls, integrity, and talent to stick to his guns, without worrying about audiences containing sheeple who like milk with their water? I saw a great movie so I personally benefitted. Didn't you? Seriously, there are THAT many fucktards who'd pay to watch something like Transformers, Die Hard 4, Nolan's Batshit, etc, but not Dredd?

BTW, there was plenty of dark humour and the slo-mo was stunningly beautiful rather than grim. Very clever tight plot, and I picked up a couple of subtle things the second time of watching it that I'd missed first time around. I came out the cinema each time feeling buzzed. Even the "critics" praised it, but Empire should put their only-3-stars next to their Attack of the Clones infamy in their Hall of Shame. And read the thread here. Seen it = loved it.

Dredd 3D is one of the best movies I've seen, and it's mistreatment at the box office is in the original BladeRunner category. I'm not even a Dredd fan. Well, I'm glad I managed to catch a movie that was too intense for most others.

"Baby, you make me wish I had THREE hands!"

Post #: 161
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 6/10/2012 8:30:41 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

DREDD exists only to exploit and demean all who are involved in it. Everyone associated with this movie, both behind and in front of the cameras, should be deeply ashamed. DREDD is an abhorrent movie on every artistic and moral level.

Post #: 162
RE: BladeRunner has a brother - 6/10/2012 8:59:02 PM   
giggity

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatSpider

quote:

quote:

I'd have thought the American Christian Convention would be well up for a spot of violence, mass gun ownership and extreme punishment.

Maybe the problem is that Garland had the balls, integrity, and talent to stick to his guns, without worrying about audiences containing sheeple who like milk with their water? I saw a great movie so I personally benefitted. Didn't you? Seriously, there are THAT many fucktards who'd pay to watch something like Transformers, Die Hard 4, Nolan's Batshit, etc, but not Dredd?

BTW, there was plenty of dark humour and the slo-mo was stunningly beautiful rather than grim. Very clever tight plot, and I picked up a couple of subtle things the second time of watching it that I'd missed first time around. I came out the cinema each time feeling buzzed. Even the "critics" praised it, but Empire should put their only-3-stars next to their Attack of the Clones infamy in their Hall of Shame. And read the thread here. Seen it = loved it.

Dredd 3D is one of the best movies I've seen, and it's mistreatment at the box office is in the original BladeRunner category. I'm not even a Dredd fan. Well, I'm glad I managed to catch a movie that was too intense for most others.

Using Nolan's bafilms as an example of cookie cutter films which were made by people without balls, integrity and who don't care about the property really damages your argument.

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 163
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 8/10/2012 1:12:53 AM   
manwihtheplan

It's easy to prove how poor this film is.

The villain in Dredd 3D is a hooker.

Sheesh, 35 years of colourful, weird, Judge Dredd villains and the best they come up with for the film is a prossy? Talk about short-changing Judge Dredd fans. Batman fans get the Joker, Bane, Cat Woman etc in those films, Spider-man gets Doctor Octopus and the Lizard and us Dredd fans wait for this so-called 'faithful Judge Dredd film' and we get Dredd vs a..............

hooker.

It's just laughable. Pathetic. That's the best Garland could come up with? A hooker?! It's just lame.

People with true knowledge of Judge Dredd will know this film is a watered down version of the source material. The film even has Dredd saying "shit!" You can't get more 20th century movie speak than that. The film is so generic and Hollywood-ized. This film has the supreme irony of being made outside the Hollywood studio system but it's as unoriginal, by the book, join-the-dots as any Hollywood 'written by a team of writers' film. Surely an independent British sci-fi film (financed by Indian money) could be a bit different? Perhaps a bit more left field or unusual? Have a bit of British eccentricity? But nope, this is just a video game plot - shoot perps, go up level, shoot more perps, meet end boss, game over! - and also clearly ripped from Die Hard - and set in some watered down slummy Dredd world.

No imagination, nothing. Garland killed off Dredd 3D with his unoriginal storyline. If you're gonna do an unoriginal storyline try and throw in a few surprises. Nope, none in Dredd 3D. Go look at the scene with Judge Lex vs Judge Dredd. It was so cliché. "I'm gonna kill you Dredd but first I'll talk to you so Anderson can appear and shoot me." Come on, it's just unoriginal. Sweet Grud, that was so 'done before in other films' and yet Garland had to do it again, stick it in his film. Proof of his zero talent for originality or even twisting an unoriginal idea and coming up with a new spin on it. He couldn't even do that.

For all the people praising this film I'd love to know one bit of the plot that actually felt fresh or remotely original? I found nothing and surely that is the film's greatest failing. With three decades of source material to plunder/be inspired by - and the film doesn't feel remotely fresh. In this respect, Dredd 3D is an epic failure (but sure, people can enjoy it but that doesn't remove how desperately unoriginal it feels). People should actually read the original Judge Dredd strips - they were full of imagination, humour, eccentricity. What does Dredd 3D have - two heroes going up stairs and lifts to kill a hooker.

That says it all, that says it all.

If you hire a talentless 'no imagination' writer to do a Judge Dredd screenplay, that's exactly what you get: a screenplay with no imagination. And hasn't it dawned on every person alive - had Garland come up with a more Dredd world specific storyline - no-one would be comparing Dredd 3D to The Raid? No-one actually mentions this obvious line of logic but it's painfully obvious! Had he adapted The Hunters Club/The Mega-Rackets/The Stupid Gun etc (classic 2000AD Judge Dredd stories) no-one would be comparing Dredd 3D to The Raid. He created a problem that never needed to exist in the first place. Proof of his lack of talent.

I accept people didn't embrace the character, that's unfortunate, it now seems clear Judge Dredd is one tough character to make appealing to a worldwide audience, but Alex Garland sabotaged this film's chances by writing such an unimaginative storyline. This review brilliantly sums up Dredd 3D's problem:

quote:

So up they go, through one nondescript corridor after another, and the film grows grimmer and less distinctive with each floor. Alex Garland’s script lays out the Judge Dredd world early, then more or less forgets about it, turning Urban and Thirlby into just another pair of cops, albeit cops in possession of some futuristic guns. Locked in a scowl and doing his best Clint Eastwood, Urban is a fine Dredd, though a flavorless one. And Thirlby invests her character with enough vulnerability and determination to avoid getting lost in the noise. Headey’s eerily soft-spoken villain gets some good moments, but the film is mostly a bunch of flatly staged bits of action shot against anonymous backgrounds. (In 3-D. Because it’s 2012.) It’s 98 minutes of no fun and much gunfire, and though it’s true in some respects to the Dredd of the comics, the spirit of the original remains stubbornly on the page.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/dredd,85173/

< Message edited by manwihtheplan -- 8/10/2012 2:05:36 AM >

Post #: 164
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 8/10/2012 1:41:34 PM   
manwihtheplan

Great news for all Judge Dredd fans. The Judge Minty fan film is being shown in November.

quote:

Judge Minty Showings for November

Judge William Minty has spent his entire adult life policing the violent streets of Mega-City One - and now he's slowing down. When a lapse of judgement almost ends his life, he knows that it's time to quit. He can choose to teach in the Academy, or he can leave the city and walk alone out into the anarchy of the Cursed Earth, taking law to the lawless.

Judge Minty is a NOT FOR PROFIT fan film, shown with the kind permission of 2000 AD and Rebellion.

We are hoping to submit to a number of international film festivals. For some of these a requirement is that the film has not been released on the internet. This will delay making Judge Minty available to view on the internet for a little while.

http://judgeminty.blogspot.co.uk/

< Message edited by manwihtheplan -- 8/10/2012 1:43:18 PM >

Post #: 165
5 stars! - 8/10/2012 8:59:42 PM   
Alcy

Okay, so the plot was similar to The Raid, but guess what, that film was crap - crap action, crap cardboard cut-out characters and so boring I didn't particularly care to see it through to the ending.
Dredd on the other hand had me on the edge of my seat the whole film. Fellow Kiwi Karl Urban was spot on as Dredd. Thirlby was excellent as Anderson and I'm going back to the cinema to see it for a second time. Headey was unrecognisably hideous as Ma-Ma - a great turn from her. This film will definitely find its audience on DVD.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 166
RE: Dredd - 9/10/2012 11:01:18 AM   
manwihtheplan

My last post about why (or one of the main reasons why) Dredd 3D flopped at the international box office.

A review of Dredd 3D:

"Don’t get me wrong, I like a movie with high body count as much as the next person – Perhaps a better way to put it is I don’t mind the body count if it serves a purpose like the fast paced Bourne movies (at least the ones with Matt Damon ). What I do not find entertaining is when the high body count is the entire point of the movie; the result of a script that was no doubt written on the back of a paper napkin in a Hollywood fast food restaurant. The script is no doubt direct and to the point and runs something like this:

Judge Dredd enters building.
Judge Dredd shoots bad guys

Unfortunately, that really is all that happens in the movie, albeit in slow motion."

http://noprisonersnomercy.com/2012/09/dredd-3d-you-have-been-judged-meh/

If the plot is so simple, so derivative, you're asking for negative comments and more to the point: NEGATIVE BOX OFFICE. I know people have complained about the Nolan Batman films being too complicated, full of too many subplots, being too self-indulgent but no-one is watching those films and saying "rip-off of blah blah blah." Nolan's Batman films have their own identity. Does Dredd 3D? I don't believe it does. The plot is too derivative for it to have its own identity. Even slo-mo is just slow-motion. That sort of visual effect was done in the late 1970s with video recorders that could slow down the speed of the tape. It's nothing new or specific to Judge Dredd's world.

Put it like this.... if you were making a Judge Dredd film what would be the film's UNIQUE SELLING POINT? What would make it stand out from other action films, from other comic book films? A Die Hard type plot? Of course not. That would just reinforce people's view the film is unoriginal. You see how Garland totally screwed it up by having zero imagination.

It doesn't matter if the characterization of Dredd is good - and pretty much everyone has praised Dredd 3D for the characterization of Judge Dredd - if the plot is a rehash of other stuff most people will realize that. "I'm not paying 3D ticket prices to see a rehash of other films, I'll wait till it's on Netflix or DVD." And that's what's happened. The film's USP wasn't there, it felt like a rehash of other plots, the film didn't grab enough people's attention. It was imperative Judge Dredd 2 (the new film) had something fresh, something about the plot that was wholly specific to the Dredd world universe. It didn't. This was a catastrophic mistake.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 167
RE: Dredd - 9/10/2012 12:30:10 PM   
evilpickle4

quote:

manwihtheplan

I think there is a flaw in your argument and it is "Taken 2". This piece of cinematic garbage has taken a shedload of cash at the US Box Office. Why? Because the US like what they like and are unwilling to try something that isn't homegrown or US-owned. It's why a great foreign film has to be remade for the US market. They don't own Dredd and they don't understand the character because it's not Batman. As much as I enjoyed the Dark Knight series, I did think that Dredd was a much more entertaining film than DKR.

It also didn't help the Dredd Box Office that they only released the film in 3D, with cinemas charging the full 3D price. Only a dozen UK cinemas showed it in 2D. I think that pissed off a lot of people who then refused to make the effort of seeing it.

The Pickle is coming.

Post #: 168
RE: Dredd - 9/10/2012 12:42:36 PM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: evilpickle4

quote:

manwihtheplan

I think there is a flaw in your argument and it is "Taken 2". This piece of cinematic garbage has taken a shedload of cash at the US Box Office. Why? Because the US like what they like and are unwilling to try something that isn't homegrown or US-owned. It's why a great foreign film has to be remade for the US market.

Er.. would that be Taken 2, written produced and directed by Frenchmen?

(in reply to evilpickle4)
Post #: 169
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 9/10/2012 2:32:27 PM   
SwozTheRevenge

Bloody triple post AGAIN...

< Message edited by SwozTheRevenge -- 9/10/2012 2:33:10 PM >

@ChairmanBLAOW

Post #: 170
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 9/10/2012 2:32:28 PM   
SwozTheRevenge

Bloody triple post AGAIN...

< Message edited by SwozTheRevenge -- 9/10/2012 2:33:24 PM >

@ChairmanBLAOW

Post #: 171
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 9/10/2012 2:32:28 PM   
SwozTheRevenge

quote:

It's easy to prove how poor this film is.

The villain in Dredd 3D is a hooker.

Sheesh, 35 years of colourful, weird, Judge Dredd villains and the best they come up with for the film is a prossy? Talk about short-changing Judge Dredd fans. Batman fans get the Joker, Bane, Cat Woman etc in those films, Spider-man gets Doctor Octopus and the Lizard and us Dredd fans wait for this so-called 'faithful Judge Dredd film' and we get Dredd vs a..............

hooker.

It's just laughable. Pathetic. That's the best Garland could come up with? A hooker?! It's just lame.

Ex-Hooker.
An ex-hooker who bit off her Pimp's dick,is a Drug Baron who will have people skinned and dumped off buildings and is powerful enough to have all the gangs throughout Peach Trees obey her orders and hunt down Dredd and Anderson.
She's hardly Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman.

< Message edited by SwozTheRevenge -- 9/10/2012 2:34:09 PM >

@ChairmanBLAOW

Post #: 172
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 9/10/2012 2:41:40 PM   
Happy Shrapnel

Isn't Ma Ma and actual villan from the original comics ?

In John Le Mesurier's last words........

' Its All Been Rather Lovely '

Happy Trails

(in reply to SwozTheRevenge)
Post #: 173
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 9/10/2012 3:16:07 PM   
SwozTheRevenge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Happy Shrapnel

Isn't Ma Ma and actual villan from the original comics ?

Not as far as I'm aware, but here's her origin - http://www.scribd.com/doc/104439907/DREDD-MA-MA

@ChairmanBLAOW

(in reply to Happy Shrapnel)
Post #: 174
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 10/10/2012 1:10:08 AM   
BatSpider

quote:

Great news for all Judge Dredd fans. The Judge Minty fan film is being shown in November.

quote:

Judge Minty Showings for November

Judge William Minty has spent his entire adult life policing the violent streets of Mega-City One - and now he's slowing down. When a lapse of judgement almost ends his life, he knows that it's time to quit. He can choose to teach in the Academy, or he can leave the city and walk alone out into the anarchy of the Cursed Earth, taking law to the lawless.

Judge Minty is a NOT FOR PROFIT fan film, shown with the kind permission of 2000 AD and Rebellion.

We are hoping to submit to a number of international film festivals. For some of these a requirement is that the film has not been released on the internet. This will delay making Judge Minty available to view on the internet for a little while.

http://judgeminty.blogspot.co.uk/

Hey. Based on your comments here, absolutely not interested, so gonna give your student short a miss, OK? Do another one and call it Judge Opal Fruits or something and I might come back.

Post #: 175
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 10/10/2012 7:39:26 AM   
SwozTheRevenge

hahaha!

< Message edited by SwozTheRevenge -- 10/10/2012 7:40:44 AM >

@ChairmanBLAOW

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 176
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 10/10/2012 12:16:57 PM   
manwihtheplan

quote:

I think there is a flaw in your argument and it is "Taken 2". This piece of cinematic garbage has taken a shedload of cash at the US Box Office. Why? Because the US like what they like and are unwilling to try something that isn't homegrown or US-owned. It's why a great foreign film has to be remade for the US market.

The success of Taken 2 isn't hard to understand. The first Taken was a big hit so there's a strong fanbase for a sequel.

The first Judge Dredd film underperformed at the US box office although it took 113 million dollars worldwide .Any Judge Dredd sequel had a problem to overcome - getting people to forget about the first film and accept a reboot. On the other hand, 17 years is a long gap between the two films so I'm sure lots of (younger) people haven't seen the first Judge Dredd film or know much or anything about the character. For whatever reason Judge Dredd 2 - the new film - didn't appeal to enough people and it's not just in America, the foreign gross for Dredd 3D is less than the American gross. Something has gone wrong with this film - be it the storyline being too unoriginal, the character being too unlikable, too much hard violence, bad marketing, forcing most people to see it in 3D? Perhaps a combination of all those suggestions or it could be one specific reason?

Just my humble opinion, when I read the leaked screenplay my overriding impression was the storyline was a bit too bleak and nasty. I think the screenplay would have benefited from some humour and humanity. If people read the classic Judge Dredd strips it's not overwhelmingly grim and nasty. The humour, the eccentricity, the imagination give the strips some humanity. Sure, MC-1 is a nightmarish future world and the Judges are ruthless fascist law enforcers but Wagner/Grant made an effort to make MC-1 a colourful place to live. Garland's screenplay has none of that colour - it's 95 mins of grim squalor and my guess is this doesn't appeal to most film goers. Perhaps Dredd 3D lacks the 'soul' of 2000AD's Judge Dredd strip? I believe so.

< Message edited by manwihtheplan -- 10/10/2012 12:35:42 PM >

(in reply to SwozTheRevenge)
Post #: 177
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 11/10/2012 10:24:26 AM   
manwihtheplan

Dredd 3D's box office take looks worse than we thought (and it was pretty grim to start with!).

The UK distributor of Dredd 3D, Entertainment, paid $7 million for the UK distribution rights:

"The sales included a $7 million deal with British distributor Entertainment Film Distributors." - Wikipedia (assuming this is accurate)

$7 million is £4.3 million. According to the box office stats, Dredd 3D has taken £4.3 million at the UK box office which is the exact amount Entertainment paid to secure the distribution rights. Quite a striking coincidence. This means the film hasn't made any profit from UK screenings. The cinema chains take a percentage of the gross which means Entertainment won't get the full £4.3 million gross (and, I assume, the producers - Reliance/IM Global/DNA/Rebellion - get a tiny percentage too) so it's extremely unlikely Entertainment will ever recoup their original amount. This information was first mentioned on the 2000AD Judge Dredd film board.

< Message edited by manwihtheplan -- 11/10/2012 10:28:52 AM >

Post #: 178
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 11/10/2012 11:46:46 AM   
BatSpider

quote:

Dredd 3D's box office take looks worse than we thought (and it was pretty grim to start with!).

The UK distributor of Dredd 3D, Entertainment, paid $7 million for the UK distribution rights:

"The sales included a $7 million deal with British distributor Entertainment Film Distributors." - Wikipedia (assuming this is accurate)

$7 million is £4.3 million. According to the box office stats, Dredd 3D has taken £4.3 million at the UK box office which is the exact amount Entertainment paid to secure the distribution rights. Quite a striking coincidence. This means the film hasn't made any profit from UK screenings. The cinema chains take a percentage of the gross which means Entertainment won't get the full £4.3 million gross (and, I assume, the producers - Reliance/IM Global/DNA/Rebellion - get a tiny percentage too) so it's extremely unlikely Entertainment will ever recoup their original amount. This information was first mentioned on the 2000AD Judge Dredd film board.

I think £4+ million in the UK for an 18 rated movie this good is great biz, and it hit the number 1 spot in its first week. A lot of this probably came from word of mouth and positive reviews across the board. It's that famously cultured market called the US where it tanked, for reasons other to do with the quality or intensity of the movie.

Don't forget box office in other countries where it will scrape a bit more, and I think a lot of people avoided it because of the 3D angle, so I'd expect it to do extremely well on DVD.

And here you are putting Dredd 3D down on a thread that appears to absolutely LOVE the movie, while asking people to support something you put together. Act of genius

Post #: 179
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 11/10/2012 11:50:39 AM   
Happy Shrapnel

I don't give a monkey's about box office receipts, this was a great movie, loved it.

In John Le Mesurier's last words........

' Its All Been Rather Lovely '

Happy Trails

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Dredd Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI