Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Dredd

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Dredd Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Dredd - 10/9/2012 1:24:19 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

This is an awesome film. I am somehow able to love both Dredd and the Raid without needing to put them into contest.

Whaddya want? A medal.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 91
RE: Dredd - 10/9/2012 1:57:10 PM   
danbo1138

I bloody love this film,can't wait to abuse it on Bluray.

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 92
RE: THROW DOWN YOUR WEAPONS AND PREPARE TO BE JUDGED...... - 10/9/2012 2:18:59 PM   
danbo1138

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

On this week's Empire podcast, Chris said that given the chance he'd probably up the score to 4 stars. If such things are important to people!

Can't 'they' just add another star?

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 93
RE: Dredd - 10/9/2012 6:07:22 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

This is an awesome film. I am somehow able to love both Dredd and the Raid without needing to put them into contest.

I loved the look of the world - very District 9. I loved the action- the actors. And the cool Carptener soundtrack.

THIS

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 94
Judgement has arrived - 11/9/2012 1:07:24 AM   
nortonglr

Super adaptation of Dredd (at last), faithful to the comic character and unremorsely violent, yet does not gloat on the fact. Urban's take of Dredd is nigh on perfect, he grimaces and grunts, prowls and growls-and is a neo-fascist hardliner of the law. Thirlby's Anderson adds heart, soul and reflection on the troubled future times-as well as some real stand out scenes of her own-telekinetic interrogation anyone!
Added to this is a relatable setting, a Mega City 1 that resembles enough of our own, a graffiti-ridden ghetto of social housing, litter blowing through the streets and not a typically polished sheen that we see in so many future cityscapes. This is rather like a sci-fi actioner made with 80's sensibility, no OTT fight scenes, wire work or overblown set pieces with an indestructible hero. If enough see this, them we can look forward to seeing more adventures of Dredd. "Are you ready for Dredd? You look ready!"

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 95
RE: Judgement has arrived - 11/9/2012 9:55:04 AM   
TwistedAnimator

That's one thing I'm loving about sci fi movies right now - they're bringing back the dark, grimy future where everything is not well, not well at all.
Suddenly I have an overwhelming urge to watch Blade Runner again

(in reply to nortonglr)
Post #: 96
RE: Dredd - 11/9/2012 10:56:14 AM   
JGod

Saw the film, didn't like it. I don't get why it's getting heaps of praise. Don't get me wrong, it's not that it's awful, it's just the same as any other action film out there. I don't get what makes this film so much more special than any other in the genre. And I'm not trolling here, I seriously would like someone to explain - there's definitely something here I'm missing!

Oh, and hey first post, I made it an optimistic one!

(in reply to TwistedAnimator)
Post #: 97
RE: Dredd - 11/9/2012 11:47:02 AM   
Dr Lenera

They've certainly stayed true to the character for this version, and the action never slows, though considering the wealth of amazing plots in the comics they could have given it a decent story, and except for about three scenes the 3D is pointless. Fun though, with some cool visuals,and it doesn't hold back on the gore either. 7/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to JGod)
Post #: 98
RE: Dredd - 11/9/2012 3:04:20 PM   
manwihtheplan

Been reading 2000AD for years. My review of Dredd 3D.

I thought the characterization was superb but the rest fell a bit flat.

The characterization of Judge Dredd and Cassandra Anderson is excellent. Both seem similar to their 2000AD counterparts although the vast majority of Anderson strips depict a mature Anderson, a woman fully confident in her abilities as a Judge and as a person with rare psionic ability. Olivia Thirlby's Anderson is at the start of her Judge career.

Karl Urban gives a great performance as Judge Dredd. He brings the character to life displaying a near-permanent surly frown and hints of repressed anger behind his cool helmeted facade.

Olivia Thirlby makes a convincing young Anderson. Her character goes through a 'rights of passage' and Thirbly handles the transition with sensitivity and, when required, requisite toughness.

The procedural nature of being a Judge is very well executed. Garland shows how the Judges operate, how they investigate crimes, how they prioritize their actions.

The look of the film is heavily compromised. We all know the film was made on a modest budget (estimates vary between 30 to 45 million dollars) but they didn't make any bold effort to give it a sci-fi look. Dredd 3D's Mega-City 1 looks dusky and grimy. A modern day city environment. Judge Dredd chasing a van down a South African city street is hardly MC-1 of the comic strip. The skyline was rather impressive with huge blocks jutting out across the vista of the city, but at street level it was just Cape Town.

Peach Trees Block is a slum. Most blocks in MC-1 do not look like slums. But more to the point, slum blocks in MC-1 1 look sci-fi slummy, not 20th century slummy. Peach Trees block has ZERO sci-fi elements other than a few data information screens – the one Dredd uses and the one the techie guy uses. The apartments look nothing like the comic strip apartments. No futuristic tvs or audio equipment or futuristic furniture, they're just basic dwellings in a slum block. A world away from the sci-fi look of 2000AD's Judge Dredd comic strip.

Had the Judge Minty fan film not existed I think people might have got away with saying "it's a low budget film, this is why it looks fairly contemporary, you have to accept that" but the Judge Minty fan film trailer does show what you can do with a very low budget:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2JhQXCjTLY

A much closer depiction of 2000AD's Judge Dredd strip. Yes, it's CGI green screen compositing rather than 'real' roads but it has the look of 2000AD's Mega City 1.

Moving on from the visuals, what about the plot? Well, I think this is where Dredd 3D is found wanting.

The plot is hardly specific to the Dredd universe. The Raid has the same plot and that's not set in Judge Dredd's world. Irrespective of which film was 'made' first, The Raid uses the same plot but it's not set in Judge Dredd's world. There's the proof the plot in Dredd 3D is just your standard action film 'trapped in a place you can't get out of' plot. And it's not just comparisons with The Raid. Die Hard did the same plot in 1988. John Carpenter did the same in 1976 with Assault on Precinct 13.

There's nothing remotely original – and when I say 'original' – I mean specific to Judge Dredd's world – in Dredd 3D. Nothing, apart from the basics – Judges, the city, the blocks (although too slummy). The rest has no link with 2000AD's Judge Dredd strip. It's 'Dredd world' content free. Watch Dredd 3D and name any future type crimes or perps from 2000AD's Judge Dredd. There's none.

The plot has a major problem - it's too repetitive. The film repeats the same scenes over and over again. Dredd and Anderson go up a level via stairs, encounter some perps, shoot them or run away, hide in a quiet room then go up a level via a lift, encounter some perps, shoot them or run away, hide in a quiet room and so on...

Hardly an imaginative film interpretation of Judge Dredd's world!

Despite there being over three decades of Judge Dredd back story material Garland reduces Judge Dredd's world to: hero walking around dingy corridors and small rooms. Did Alex Garland actually read old 2000AD progs, the old Judge Dredd stories? I doubt it because there is NOTHING from those stories in Dredd 3D. Imagine if Warner Bros rebooted Batman and Garland was hired and did the same thing to Batman as he did with Judge Dredd. Batman would spend all his time in one sky rise building. Batman fans would be complaining "is that the plot? Can't we see a bit of Gotham City? Can't we have a richer storyline?" Sadly, Judge Dredd fans, being somewhat of a minority in the comic world, are not as fortunate as Batman comic fans, Spider-man comic fans, Avengers comic fans, so we have to make do with a plot that makes some video game first person shooters look the height of story complexity by comparison.

Slo-mo, the drug that slows down time, is narratively pointless. It has no bearing on any aspect of the plot. Alex Garland doesn't explain why it's a narcotic, doesn't explain if it has any harmful properties, he doesn't show Ma-Ma or any of her gang arranging to meet a rival gang or company to spread the drug outside the block. We don't see any of her gang having stockpiles of the stuff, we don't see any of her gang putting the drug into vehicles for distribution.

The drug is a macguffin: a plot device in the form of some goal or desired object with little or no narrative explanation as to why it is considered so desirable. Slo-mo is just there to to fill up the blank spaces in the storyline.

Most of the action scenes are brief and not memorably staged. The scene with the big gun was great but the other actions scenes felt short and not that thrilling. They're not bad but not great. One extra long shoot-out scene would have made Dredd 3D a stronger action film. As I say, they're not bad action scenes but a little light in content and average in execution.

The constant swearing didn't add much to the comic book feel, not that Dredd 3D had much comic book 'feel' in the first place. This was just grim dystopia, not the absurd dystopia of 2000AD's Judge Dredd.

The lack of any absurdity or strong humour made Dredd feel a bit bland next to bland perps. In many respects Dredd is defined by the villains he faces. If he faces bland grungy perps he too becomes a tad bland. Dredd's 'I am the law' rigid personality is made all the more absurd or powerful when he faces bizarre villains (Judge Death, PJ Maybe, Angel Gang, Father Earth etc).

The grounded reality of Garland's screenplay reduces Judge Dredd to just another tough cop (okay, very tough cop!). Without the absurd madness of Mega-City 1 life around him, Dredd seems less interesting. This doesn't spoil Urban's superb performance as Judge Dredd but it does make him a tad more ordinary or less striking than he might have otherwise been.

If I were not a fan of 2000AD and unaware of the Judge Dredd character I'd probably give Dredd 3D:

6 out of 10.

As I am a long term reader of 2000AD my score is:

5 out of 10.

< Message edited by manwihtheplan -- 11/9/2012 3:09:39 PM >

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 99
RE: Dredd - 11/9/2012 3:54:47 PM   
danbo1138

I'm a 'fan' of 2000ad,been reading Dredd since I was 9 and I'm 38 now

8.9/10

It would have got a higher score if
A. it had a slightly larger budget,but it's no deal breaker.
B. it was a bit longer,so good I just wanted MOAR.

(in reply to manwihtheplan)
Post #: 100
Fucking fantastic! - 11/9/2012 5:30:58 PM   
Maca007

Just been to see it and loved it! This reminded me of the halcyon days of the late 80's/ early 90's when action films were proper 18/R rated! The script never became cheesy or dated at any point and I think the plot, as simple as it was, was a perfect vehicle for reintroducing Dredd to the cinema. The casting was top class and Urban was a perfect fit. A BD essential, roll on the sequel!

Post #: 101
RE: Fucking fantastic! - 11/9/2012 7:41:02 PM   
evil bill

To be honest part of me was Dredding this,but i'm a huge fan of 2000AD,and of all the different story's,Judge Dredd was my favorite,so this was a must see.Now the bad news first,it's low budget shows at times and so makes the Stallone version look less of a turkey.The script could have been so much better,as there are plenty of great storylines that could have been used from the comic.And the 3D was good but noting you haven't seen before,so that's it in a nutshell,for i for one loved it,as i'll now tell you why,for i left the cinema on a high.

This is the dark version we fan's have been waiting for,a violent,super gory bloodbath,with a faithful execution of the character.It also looks far more like the Mega City of the comic,with great use made of  the industrial backdrops of Cape Town South Africa,which acts as the hell city of the comic.think of a better way to re-introduce this character to cinema audiences.Think District 9 but with the graphic violence put up to max,with the druggies more like a bunch of zombies from 28 Days Later or the remake of Dawn Of The Dead.Dredd himself aka actor  Karl Urban is awesome just what i wanted,less talk more action,and the helmet stays firmly on,with a good splash of dark humor.

Director Pete Travis tackled the problem of filming on a small budget,by going down the Dark Knight route,by making something that looks nothing like a comic book and more like a film shot on location,a documentary on the life of a crime fighter.Plus by going for the 18 rating,he was not restricted in giving us a full on adult/comic violent action sci/fi fantasy,which could have ended up like Stallone's overweight take on Dredd.This never tries to be a kid's movie,it brings back memories of MAD MAX,ROAD WARRIOR and (Mad Max II)which where made on low budgets,but delivered pure entertainment.Another bonus is the wonderful supporting actors,they look like they just came off the street,scarred, nasty, sweaty and mean. Lena Headey nearly steals the show as the ruthless gang lord Ma Ma, calmly enjoying the gory deaths of her enemies,on her narcotic thrill ride of addiction.

But in the end it's Dredd,he is the Law with no sense of humor,this stony face Law Enforcer who cannot be bribed,or corrupted played in a cult ironic way by Karl Urban,who must be a huge fan himself.His performance is what makes this movie so wonderful,and for it's 95 minutes of great bloody action,he stands out as not the actor but as Dredd.Yes it's not prefect,and could do with a bigger budget,but for balls out Judge Dredd back on the big screen,well you leave wanting more.You feel the rush that only films like Mad Max and Dirty Harry where able to deliver,both aimed at us older Cinema fans,so get out there and enjoy the feast of 18 Cert comic fun,so Hollywood takes notice.8/10

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Maca007)
Post #: 102
RE: Dredd 3D - 12/9/2012 9:18:02 AM   
manwihtheplan

I'm surprised by some of the high scores being posted because Dredd 3D does lack a lot of specific Judge Dredd world content. Read a batch of old 2000AD Judge Dredd stories and you'll see there's none of that content in this film.

In terms of actual content the plot is not unique to Dredd's world. In this respect screenwriter Alex Garland has little or no imagination. Had Judge Dredd been fighting crazy simps (people that pride themselves on acting stupid) - simps that have decided Mega-City 1 needs a new form of democracy: 'simpocracy' - where it's unlawful to be clever - then the plot would have stood out, been different. It could be uglies instead, or mutants or face changers, or boingers, or umpty dealers or stookie glanders etc. But a video game type plot with bland gang members, grimy corridors, does not stand out.

You can still enjoy Dredd 3D for what it is but at its heart it doesn't embrace the content of Judge Dredd's world. I would say it's a huge disappointment because the entire gallery of colourful villains and strange crimes has been ignored. There's nothing original about Judge Dredd fighting gang members in dirty corridors, nothing original about the hero going up levels in a block, but Judge Dredd fighting anarchist simps or Dredd trying to stop an illegal killethon would be something original, specific to Judge Dredd's world. The killethon plot would be about an illegal tv show - the warped Mega-City 1 version of a tv telethon - where people are encouraged to kill other people, they film it, and then the tv viewers donate money to the killer! The best killer or best murders shown get the most money. That would show Judge Dredd's world in a crazy light but could be very violent and gritty too.

Why would anyone want to write a Judge Dredd screenplay like Dredd 3D that's lacking so much Dredd world content? What an unimaginative approach to the source material. As mentioned, you can still enjoy Dredd 3D for what it offers, the characterization of the two main leads is excellent, but it's so lacking imagination, cleverness and much wit. Perhaps fans deserved a better, more imaginative plot? I believe so. If you think a Judge Dredd film is meant to be like Die Hard or The Raid you might like Dredd 3D but you, like Mr Garland, have totally misunderstood the point of Judge Dredd's world. A Judge Dredd isn't meant to copy other film plots, the comic strip has got enough original material to use or be inspired by.

< Message edited by manwihtheplan -- 12/9/2012 9:26:49 AM >

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 103
RE: Dredd 3D - 12/9/2012 11:34:35 AM   
paulyboy

Erm......it was all right, I guess.

I should probably clarify that my knowledge of Judge Dredd extends as far as having seen the Stallone debacle from the 90's. Basically, I can't comment as to how it succeeds as an adaption, only how it works as a film in my eyes.

Like I said before, it was okay, average at best I'd say. Nothing particularly bad about the film, but then nothing great about it either, it's a run of the mill sci-fi actioner, nothing more, nothing less.

Urban's chin is ok, the art direction, set design & sfx are okay, the score is okay, the action sequences are okay, it's all very, very okay. Olivia Thirlby was the only real stand-out element for me, mainly because she does at least inject the film with something resembling a heart, everything else is pretty one note if I'm honest.

That's it really, very average.

2.5/5

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

Post #: 104
RE: Dredd - 12/9/2012 11:55:27 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: manwihtheplan
Imagine if Warner Bros rebooted Batman and Garland was hired and did the same thing to Batman as he did with Judge Dredd. Batman would spend all his time in one sky rise building. Batman fans would be complaining "is that the plot? Can't we see a bit of Gotham City? Can't we have a richer storyline?"

It may be a videogame instead of a movie, but most Batman fans seem to think the "Batman trapped in Arkham Asylum" plot from Arkham Asylum is one of the best Batman stories ever told. I know I certainly wouldn't object to a movie adaptation of that (or the comic of the same name for that matter).

Haven't seen Dredd, but it seems like your only gripes are that it's not enough like the comics. From what I've seen, that's true, granted... but most of the people reviewing the movie are not reviewing its adherance to the comics, but to a movie. It seems that as a movie, it's rather good, even if not exactly what some comics fans who were hoping for a perfect replication were looking for.

This is just a personal opinion, but I don't think it would be possible to make a decent Judge Dredd (or in fact any 2000AD comic) movie if it has to stick to the comics, because they're frankly all over the place.

Post #: 105
RE: Dredd - 12/9/2012 12:04:23 PM   
Filmfan 2

I really fancy seeing this but I'm not sure about dropping the coin on it as I hated The Raid. It does seem a bit of a different beast, however, and it looks visually interesting. Plus it's an 18 certificate; that in no way makes it a good film, but it's such a rarity to get films in the cinema at that rating now.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

Post #: 106
RE: Dredd 3D - 12/9/2012 12:48:59 PM   
jackcarter

quote:

I'm surprised by some of the high scores being posted because Dredd 3D does lack a lot of specific Judge Dredd world content. Read a batch of old 2000AD Judge Dredd stories and you'll see there's none of that content in this film.

In terms of actual content the plot is not unique to Dredd's world. In this respect screenwriter Alex Garland has little or no imagination. Had Judge Dredd been fighting crazy simps (people that pride themselves on acting stupid) - simps that have decided Mega-City 1 needs a new form of democracy: 'simpocracy' - where it's unlawful to be clever - then the plot would have stood out, been different. It could be uglies instead, or mutants or face changers, or boingers, or umpty dealers or stookie glanders etc. But a video game type plot with bland gang members, grimy corridors, does not stand out.

You can still enjoy Dredd 3D for what it is but at its heart it doesn't embrace the content of Judge Dredd's world. I would say it's a huge disappointment because the entire gallery of colourful villains and strange crimes has been ignored. There's nothing original about Judge Dredd fighting gang members in dirty corridors, nothing original about the hero going up levels in a block, but Judge Dredd fighting anarchist simps or Dredd trying to stop an illegal killethon would be something original, specific to Judge Dredd's world. The killethon plot would be about an illegal tv show - the warped Mega-City 1 version of a tv telethon - where people are encouraged to kill other people, they film it, and then the tv viewers donate money to the killer! The best killer or best murders shown get the most money. That would show Judge Dredd's world in a crazy light but could be very violent and gritty too.

Why would anyone want to write a Judge Dredd screenplay like Dredd 3D that's lacking so much Dredd world content? What an unimaginative approach to the source material. As mentioned, you can still enjoy Dredd 3D for what it offers, the characterization of the two main leads is excellent, but it's so lacking imagination, cleverness and much wit. Perhaps fans deserved a better, more imaginative plot? I believe so. If you think a Judge Dredd film is meant to be like Die Hard or The Raid you might like Dredd 3D but you, like Mr Garland, have totally misunderstood the point of Judge Dredd's world. A Judge Dredd isn't meant to copy other film plots, the comic strip has got enough original material to use or be inspired by.

I guess the budget wasn’t big enough to effectively show Dredds world (like Dredd 95 did - ironic that it has more the look of the comic but messes everything else up - opposite to Dredd3D), anyway its focusing on one building only (oppertunities to explore everything further in potential higher budget sequels). plus its taking Dredd and doing it as if it were real world, not so much the comic book world, focusing on what works best for the screen to make a good film and discarding other stuff (some of which can be used in the sequels) - sim to Batman Begins, Superman The Movie, XMen1 etc, in order to appeal to people who have never read a comic, not so much the hard core fans

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 12/9/2012 1:51:19 PM >

Post #: 107
RE: Dredd 3D - 12/9/2012 1:39:01 PM   
manwihtheplan

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

I guess the budget wasn’t big enough to effectively show Dredds world (like Dredd 95), plus its taking Dredd and doing it as if it were real world (not the comic book world) focusing on what works best for the screen to make a good film and discarding other stuff (which can be used in the sequels) - sim to Batman Begins, Superman The Movie, XMen1 etc. (to appeal to people who have never read a comic, not so much the hard core fans)

Yes, the budget (or lack of!) restricted the scale and story of this film. A poster on IMDB claimed the budget was 30 million dollars although I've no idea if this is correct.

quote:

(to appeal to people who have never read a comic, not so much the hard core fans)

I agree. I think this film is aimed at the general film audience. Karl Urban did come out with the public relations quote "this is the film fans have been waiting to see for 35 years" but I think that was a lofty exaggeration. I doubt most or any hardcore Judge Dredd readers wanted this plot or a film done on this sort of budget, but on the other hand it's a new start, if the film is a success a sequel might have a bigger budget and better plot. Deep in my heart I can't believe DNA Films (the production company that acquired the rights to the character) were huge Judge Dredd fans or desperate to make it that specific to Dredd's world.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 108
RE: Dredd 3D - 12/9/2012 2:23:41 PM   
jobloffski

Time and time this sort of thing has been said.

Time and time again this has been countered with comments such as the reality of Dredd not being the box office draw to make funding a 'proper' Dredd film first time out even remotely viable in this thing called reality (meaning a principle must be applied: make the film you can afford to make, and make it profitable enough to attract the funding to make the film you want to make).

Under the circumstances, building the thing entirely on the characterisation of Dredd, played by someone who is a name in the ascendant star (trek) wise, and leaving the world outside the block to another day when the money is there is not something anyone should be misjudged on.

The hardcore are the reason such films get made, but the non hardcore audience is he source of income that decides if a film becomes a series. Not even the comic had all the things people might hope to see in a Dredd movie in the first issue dudes.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

Post #: 109
RE: Dredd - 13/9/2012 1:43:33 AM   
demoncleaner

I'd rather have cut my own legs off than go see this, but I went along as part of a jolly boys' outing from work. We went bowling, we had a meal, came third in a pub quiz, and somewhere in between caught a really, really good film.

The revelation is how like-able Dredd is, something I could just simply never have conceived beforehand and it's thanks mostly to Karl Urban and some lingering shots from Pete Travis. The script does neither any real favours and dialogue-wise Urban still has to do a hardline in hardened cheese but sells Dredd not as a fascist prick who has lost his soul, nor as a cynic who remains on the "right" side of the law out of a misplaced sense of empowerment, not even as an intolerant who holds justice as another dry and inveterate habit, but as a last boy scout. The Dredd characterisation is essentially one predicated on modesty. Ooooh he doesn't take his helmet off in this one, yes, he shouldn't, but somehow they manage to twin the impassive government tool with a figure of reluctant watchfulness and it was great to see, in a summer of reputation-led actioners (The Dark Knight Rises and Bourne...both of which I loved btw) to have an egregious action movie head-liner with little or no known reputation in his own movie.

Olivia Thirlby is massively good as Anderson and Travis, on the basis of this is a thoroughly disciplined and on-brief director. He gorges on gorge but has loads of time for knock-off vintage Carpenter-slash-Cameron atmosphere and just as much consideration for the downtime of nice character moments (nice character moments in this can only come from the Anderson scenes). So in many ways he's second generation astute and we can put him in the contemporary bracket of above-par journeymen like Zak Snyder.

I'll be going to see this again in 3-D as it's just the right shade of fetishistic violence that I can find palatable.

An uncannily original rendering of what should be (and is on paper) tired sci-fi gloss.

4/5

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 13/9/2012 1:49:42 AM >

Post #: 110
Very Good - 13/9/2012 10:23:52 AM   
AreThoseMyFeet

The empire review seems to word Dredd as worthy of more than 3 stars.

Post #: 111
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 13/9/2012 11:09:00 AM   
manwihtheplan

I'm surprised the Empire review isn't a bit lower. The plot isn't original - Demoncleaner wrote:

"The script does neither any real favours"

Most of the action scenes are brief, one action scene consists of Dredd climbing up about four steps(!) and the locations are minimal and repeated (mostly, I guess, due to the low budget and the small vision of the screenwriter). I thought Dredd 3D was like its title - mediocre. If people are rating a Die Hard type Judge Dredd film then just imagine what the score would be if someone wrote a Judge Dredd screenplay that was full of actual 'Dredd world' content.

I'm not sure most people reviewing Dredd 3D have ever read the 2000AD Judge Dredd strip because this film covers about 1 percent of its content and that is a legitimate reason to downscale the overall score irrespective of whether or not you enjoyed the film.

< Message edited by manwihtheplan -- 13/9/2012 11:13:07 AM >

(in reply to leroythemasochist)
Post #: 112
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 13/9/2012 11:13:26 AM   
Filmfan 2

Not really fair to compare the two films as, aside from setting, they are quite different beasts. However Dredd >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The Raid.

Decided to chance it and so and see this film and, to my immense surprise, I thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed this. The slow motion photography was used to pretty brilliant effect, and I was drawn into the story pretty much from the get-go. I've never seen anything quite like the fate of a major character right at the end on the screen before.

Probably my second favourite movie of the summer after The Dark Knght Rises (though it may be dethroned by Looper, if that film lives up to the positive word of mouth).

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to leroythemasochist)
Post #: 113
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 13/9/2012 11:16:38 AM   
DaveTheStampede

quote:

I'm not sure most people reviewing Dredd 3D have ever read the 2000AD Judge Dredd strip because this film covers about 1 percent of its content and that is a legitimate reason to downscale the overall score irrespective of whether or not you enjoyed the film.

You're right. The lack of Walter the Wobot, Fweind of Dwedd and Maria, his itallian land lady really hurt the film...

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four.
If that is granted, all else follows

Post #: 114
The best comic book movie yet - 13/9/2012 11:19:47 AM   
chrisr

Went to see dredd and it was the film I imagined when I first started reading 2000ad.It's not perfect but I loved it the stills and trailers really don't do it justice. It really reminded me of a 70's Jon carpenter movie. I think it may be my film of the year.

Post #: 115
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 13/9/2012 11:32:32 AM   
manwihtheplan

quote:

Haven't seen Dredd, but it seems like your only gripes are that it's not enough like the comics.

2000AD is a comic, that's the source material, so if you're making a Judge Dredd film and wish to ignore the fact it's a comic and do Die Hard/The Raid plot with Judge Dredd as the hero then I don't think Dredd 3D deserves to be higher than 3 out of 5. The Empire review would seem a fair score.

I accept the vast majority of reviews will be written by people with little knowledge of the comic strip. They might have read a few stories back in 1980s, they might have some memory of the 1995 Judge Dredd film but they're not going to care that much how faithful Dredd 3D is to the source material. I like to think Empire's 3 out of 5 score is because the storyline is not faithful to the source material.

Internet chatter about which film came first - Dredd 3D or The Raid? - does not legitimize Dredd 3D's plot because The Raid is hardly a Judge Dredd type storyline. Trapped in a place you can't get out of has been done before The Raid - most notably in Die Hard. Dredd 3D's plot is clearly influenced by Die Hard. The tech guy with the weird eyes in Dredd 3D is clearly a variation on the black tech guy from Die Hard. The basic structure of Dredd 3D - hero going through corridors to hunt down gang members and the main villain - is no different to Die Hard's structure. A 2000AD fan could make a list of his top 10 Judge Dredd stories and none of them would have the plot structure of Die Hard.

< Message edited by manwihtheplan -- 13/9/2012 11:37:55 AM >

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 116
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 13/9/2012 11:44:34 AM   
AxlReznor

Well if this type of story hasn't been done in the comics before, I'm not sure why. Seems like a perfectly reasonable idea to me, no matter how many times it's been done elsewhere. But in any case, my point still stands... adherance to the source material does not necessarily make a good film. And by the same token, not adhering to the source material does not necessarily make a bad one.

Also, The Raid looks awesome. Haven't seen it yet, but it looks like pure escapist fun (the exact kind of thing The Expendables is supposed to be, but fails at), with a rising martial arts superstar. It's also taking the exact same approach as Dredd is... make a profitable film to make it possible for them to be able to make the film they wanted to in the first place. Not relevant to this topic, but seeing as you headed your post with "Raid looked crap anyway".

< Message edited by AxlReznor -- 13/9/2012 11:46:17 AM >

Post #: 117
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 13/9/2012 11:59:14 AM   
jobloffski

Judge Dredd has used practically every story structure/set up there is at one time or another. Has Dredd never, ever, ever been in a siege situation that he had to shoot his out of?

To simplify my earlier point: The comic began very simply, as a cop who shoots perps set up. OVER THE YEARS Dredd became what people think of when they think of Dredd. But the comic strip started very simply and it is obviously the only way to go, to start the films the same way. You establish character and basic set up, then you explore the world he is set in, and then expand that world.

You cannot, simply cannot go straight into a Judge Death or other major antagonist situation, or get into the nooks and crannies of a fictional world created over many stories, over several decades in an INTRODUCTORY film based around a character with unproven box office appeal because nobody is going to fund such a film to the degree getting it right would cost. You HAVE to introduce the main guy. Then having introduced him, you put him in various situations. FFS the creator of the character is pleased enough with the results, which are a starting point that may lead to more.

The scenario is a microcosm of the situation: lawless place, perps getting taken down, innocents helpless and likely to get caught in the crossfire, but without the presence of 'The Law' the perps would run free, and it all takes place in a location from which there is no prospect for most of fleeing, whether being ruled by fear or the perps, or fear of the system, the ordinary citizens stand a chance of getting it in the neck and just try to keep their heads down. That's what mega city one is, more or less. You write it small, then maybe, just maybe you get to write it writ large.

Judgement: all objectives within available budget achieved by the film, avoiding the big mistakes of the previous screen incarnation of just shoving various aspects of Dredd Lore onto the screen without proper context and having the lead involved in a 'hunted by the system he represents' story before the system he has so much loyal adherence to has even been properly established.

Punishment: Having to endure 'you didn't make the film of my dreams' reactions forever, or until a more ambitious sequel is projected onto a screen somewhere, whichever comes first.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

Post #: 118
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 13/9/2012 12:42:36 PM   
demoncleaner

quote:

I'm surprised the Empire review isn't a bit lower. The plot isn't original - Demoncleaner wrote:

"The script does neither any real favours"

Most of the action scenes are brief, one action scene consists of Dredd climbing up about four steps(!) and the locations are minimal and repeated (mostly, I guess, due to the low budget and the small vision of the screenwriter). I thought Dredd 3D was like its title - mediocre. If people are rating a Die Hard type Judge Dredd film then just imagine what the score would be if someone wrote a Judge Dredd screenplay that was full of actual 'Dredd world' content.

If there’s one thing that disgruntles my goat more than anything else it’s taking something I said and reducing it to the most obtuse and dunder-headed simplicity.  I found the signature atmosphere of this movie original in a film which is literally wall to wall action.  Calling me out on it because I’m presumably ignorant of a film called Die Hard is a bit much.  It seems to me the set-up of this film is just the modest context to introduce the character and see what he’s like.  I think the Mega city world of 2000 3D (see, anyone can sneer) teems with superficial diversity.  Every gang has a gimmick (usually informed by a satiric-joke-of-the-week requirement) but it’s a bit of reach to presume 2000 AD really ever applied the lofty notion of culture to these freakishly different lifestyles.  So for me the tenement, the vertical village, crammed full of people leaving cheek-by-jowl but segregated by floors and boxes, the whole anonymity that hundreds and thousands of people share despite close confinement…all this is a perfect context to show a panoply of Mega city life but without having to delve into it…because 2000 AD doesn’t delve beyond the character of Dredd.    Not in any real, committed sense. 

You can say that a better plot should have been culled from the comic’s history but I think it’s more important, in this the germ of a new franchise, to have minimum distraction away from establishing the character.  Dredd has no arc as such, he isn’t meant to, he is a constant and shit just happens to him every week.  There’ll be long running serials but when they finish he’ll be the same and will wait until some new shit just happens to him.  So, on that front I think it was cool that we got to see him on the “day job”, just an average day at the office for him, because then you get to see him how he really is. 

And also, about the Die Hard, Raid thing, the megablocks as a concept were there long before either of those two. The population problem is the whole thing that defines the megacity and the tower blocks are irretrievably Judge Dredd.  All Die Hard needs is a safe and it could be set in a bungalow.     What’s wrong with Garland et al stealing the tower blocks back off Die Hard? 

Post #: 119
RE: Very Good - 13/9/2012 1:14:57 PM   
jackcarter

quote:

ORIGINAL: AreThoseMyFeet

The empire review seems to word Dredd as worthy of more than 3 stars.

yes it seems to want to give it 4/5 but feels it cant due to the Raid

in Empire X Files movie review they gave it 3/5 but said at the end add a star if you are already a fan so maybe for Dredd they couldve said something like add a star if you havent already seen The Raid?

(in reply to AreThoseMyFeet)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Dredd Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI