Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

3-D Is WANK (Avatar aside)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> 3-D Is WANK (Avatar aside) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3-D Is WANK (Avatar aside) - 7/9/2012 1:14:32 PM   
Fozola

Fuckin fed up with 3-D shite...hurry up and get bored of this overpriced/sub quality horseshit pleeease! I missed Ghost Rider 2 and Pirahna 3DD (I know, I know) because there was no 2-D option so I hope this is available in 2-D. I refuse to watch dark, muddy movies dressed like Ronnie Fuckin Barker. If you like that shit fine but please give up the option or my Cineworld card will get fucked right off!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 61
Four Star - 7/9/2012 5:20:29 PM   
wesleyjordan

Just watched it and loved it. Glad it was an 18 cert, it really needed to be and benefited from it. The slo mo wasn't over done and when used it was superb, especially the first gun fight. Not a fan of 3D but it worked well here. Carl Urban was brilliant and Olivia Thirlby was great as Anderson. The wardrobe was fantastic. The whole film had an excellent vibe to it and I think its a great setup for more sequels. Four star I reckon.
Oh yeah, and I didnt think much of The Raid.

< Message edited by wesleyjordan -- 7/9/2012 5:23:31 PM >

(in reply to Fozola)
Post #: 62
RE: Four Star - 7/9/2012 5:39:04 PM   
DaveTheStampede

Managed to see this in 2D, and really enjoyed it. There were... maybe three or four moments that said to me 'yep, that was meant for 3D', and seeing them in 3D would have added sweet FA to the story, the acting, the setting, the pacing, or the action.

Urban was great as Dredd, and one thing I did like very much was how they handled Anderson's psi ability.

The only comparison I will make with 'The Raid' is that, on the whole, the action in 'The Raid' had more impact.

So... yeah, I'm glad I saw it, but frustrated beyond all reason that, if things had been just a little bit different, the forcing of that freaking 3D gimmick on the world would have prevented me from doing so.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four.
If that is granted, all else follows

(in reply to wesleyjordan)
Post #: 63
Holy DROKK!!!....finally Dredd get's the movie he deser... - 7/9/2012 6:39:19 PM   
Ramone87

Fans of the legendary 2000ad Character are in for treat with this one. Gone are the goofy Sly Stallone antics of the 95 version and in comes a brutal, uncompromising, stylish and vivid adaption of Judge Dredd and his seedy futuristic world for 2012.

It starts with an incendary action sequence introducing us to Dredd, his Bike and the damage he does with his brutal Lawgiver....soon after we are introduced to judge Anderson, brillaintly protrayed by Olivia Thirlby. A fresh rookie with psychic abilities on her first day on the streets. Too bad for her it's Judge Dredd who will be showing her the ropes,...

What proceeds is not only brutal action but some thrilling human drama, as Dredd and Anderson once trapped have to work thier way up Mega Block Peach Trees to apprahend Drug Crime lord Ma Ma,...played by a quietly chilling Lena Heady.

It's all there from the comic, Mega city and it's environments are seedy, downtrodden and given a sense of reality with sparsely used CGI to often stunning effect. Karl Urban's Dredd is an aboloute delight,...he IS DREDD. Right down to his grunts, Clint Eastwood style speech and uncompromising badd-ass attitude....which often works so well, when not only blowing bad guys away in spectacular violent action, but with cool and sometimes funny one liners.

Not only is Dredd, the costumes and environments nailed completely, you will literally lose yourself in the So-mo Drug sequences,...they are a work of visual beauty;) so in 3D your in for an eyeball treat....

it is unfair that this movie get's compared to the Raid and to be honest this is far more original and stylish take on the same plot in a far more fascinating world. Also the other supporting cast members do good in this too, take note of some astonishing scene's with Thirlby's Anderson mind reading criminals to stunning visual and audio effect,...oh and a cool soundtrack to boot!!

What's also great is it leaves you wanting more,...So whether your a 2000ad fan or not your in for an action TREAT!!!!

Go watch it;)....that's a Dredd order!!

< Message edited by Ramone87 -- 7/9/2012 6:42:08 PM >

Post #: 64
RE: Raid looked crap anyway - 7/9/2012 7:47:32 PM   
R W

As the most iconic figure of the British science fiction anthology 2000 AD, Judge Dredd made his debut on the big screen very poorly in 1995, by Danny Cannon (director of I Still Know What You Did Last Summer) and Sylvester Stallone who in the eponymous role, took the helmet off, which distraught many fans. Seventeen years later, the violent law enforcer gets a fine revival with New Zealand’s Karl Urban as Dredd 2.0, with added non-helmet removal.

In the violent futuristic Mega City One, Dredd is assigned to train and evaluate Cassandra Anderson (Olivia Thirlby), a rookie with powerful psychic abilities due to a genetic mutation. Investigating a triple homicide, the two judges get trapped within a 200-story vertical slum controlled by prostitute-turned-drug lord, Ma-Ma (Lena Headey) and her ruthless clan. The only way out, is up!

As the synopsis suggests, it is a classic story of a cop and his rookie partner being trapped in an action-packed situation. Despite that, the simplicity of the film’s narrative is one of its strengths as Alex Garland’s script, which understands its source material, pulls some dark and surreal sequences, with the inclusion of the drug “Slo-Mo” which alters the judgement of time, to a really twisted psychic interrogation within the mind.

With a large city block being the central set-piece with the two judges trying to get out, audiences will get a sense of deja-vu if they have seen Gareth Evans’ Indonesian action film The Raid. Not to say that Dredd’s filmmakers ripped off the story of The Raid, but it is unfortunate that both films were released in the same year. Whilst there is no action sequence here to rival the choreography of Evans’ actioner, director Pete Travis pushes the film’s 18-certificate, with its moments of mega-violence, such as cheeks being shot off and a head being completely melted.

On a design level, the depiction of Mega City One and its technology is very different from the chunk-nology of Danny Cannon’s version. Filmed in Cape Town, South Africa, the dystopian metropolis is given a recognisable look, in the same way that Christopher Nolan depicted Gotham City in his Dark Knight trilogy. Although I felt the 3D didn’t support the imagery, cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle do some beautiful but disorienting shots, particularly the use of “Slo-Mo”, which includes high and glowing colouring.

After Stallone’s performance as the eponymous judge, jury and executioner which made him too heroic and constantly saying, in a Stallone impression: “I knew you’d say that”, Karl Urban successfully captures the character’s menacing persona, achieving much more than his predecessor, even acting all the way through with his helmet on. As the eponymous protagonist who sees the world in black and white, the New Zealander presents that aspect of Dredd whose actions could be seen as fascistic, but also understanding his rightful position as the law.

Siding with Urban’s raspy voiced Dredd, Olivia Thirlby is very likable as the rookie Anderson, who is stepping into the boots of a judge, and the consequences that come out of it, as well as being quite the bad-ass with her psychic abilities. On the side of the villains, we have some fine edgy supporting performances from Lena Headey’s chief scar-faced antagonist, The Wire’s Wood Harris and Domhnall Gleeson as the strangely-eyed techie. I imagine many fans would want to see Judge Death as the next baddie in the sequels.

If you are a fan of the comics, you will praise its dark and surreal presentation and Karl Urban who has a better grasp of 2000 AD’s law enforcer; if not, you will enjoy its reminiscent of the classic violent 80s-styled action pics. Please let there be a sequel!

(in reply to leroythemasochist)
Post #: 65
RE: Dredd - 7/9/2012 11:39:27 PM   
TheMightyBlackout

Dredd's worst crime is how grindingly average it is. This really is just The Raid, but with no martial arts (…or excitement). Karl Urban was a terrible choice for the role as he has neither the build, voice or presence to pull it off. Wearing a decent rendition of the outfit and doing your best Eastwood impersonation isn't enough, I'm afraid.

If this had been a non-franchised future-noir action thriller, it'd be pretty good. Unfortunately, it sets its own bar too high with pre-release promises of greatness, and can't quite shake of the shadow of a former disappointment. Just being better than an awful thing does not make you a good thing.

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 66
RE: Dredd - 8/9/2012 12:17:50 AM   
Rgirvan44

This is an awesome film. I am somehow able to love both Dredd and the Raid without needing to put them into contest.

I loved the look of the world - very District 9. I loved the action- the actors. And the cool Carptener soundtrack.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to TheMightyBlackout)
Post #: 67
RE: Dredd - 8/9/2012 7:38:57 AM   
Dirk Miggler

Empire review reads like the film should warrant a 4 star rating. Hopefully I shall see this sometime next week although more than likely in 3D. I'm suprise by the response the film seems to be getting, %100 on RT with some very high praise indeed !

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 68
Top Notch Action - 8/9/2012 10:49:40 AM   
evilpickle4

After finding out that I can easily watch a 3D film using the glasses and get 2D, I relented and went to see Dredd, and I' so glad I did. This was lmost exactly everything I wanted from a JD movie. The best move was the writers knowlege of not only the characters, but their surroundings. Dredd is not good guy. He's the greatest anti-hero in fiction. And most of the humour is derived, not from a snivelling creep played by a poor-acting "comic", but from Dredd's attitude to his surroundings and situtations he finds himself in. Thirlby was great as Anderson, Urban fantastic as Dredd but for me Headley stole the show as Ma-Ma. Stallone should look at this film and have a long hard think about how an action movie should be made, especially after the humdrum Expendables 2. My only question now is, how can Empire give this film 3 stars while happily slapping 5 stars on The Dark Knight Rises?

Post #: 69
RE: Dredd - 8/9/2012 6:53:52 PM   
captainrentboy

Friggin loved it.
Urban was awesome as Dredd. His deadpan badass attitude got the required laughs when needed, but he got the action sequences nailed too.
Soundtrack was brilliant. Some of it reminded me of Drive's.
..*Cough* 3D wasn't too shabby either *Cough*
I appreciate having a film made for adults too, no pissing about trying to the content fit for a 12A/15, just all out gore and violence where necessary to the story.
Hope it does the required business at the box office to warrant a sequel, although I hope the increased budget wont result in it all being toned down next time around.

Give it a go, even if you despise 3D like I do, it needs to be seen on the big screen!!

Post #: 70
RE: Top Notch Action - 8/9/2012 7:16:18 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: evilpickle4

After finding out that I can easily watch a 3D film using the glasses and get 2D,

Can I check - do you mean you can watch the 3D version without the glasses OK (no subsequent headaches etc?). We're having problems finding a non3d viewing and this might be a solution.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to evilpickle4)
Post #: 71
RE: Top Notch Action - 8/9/2012 7:19:58 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

After finding out that I can easily watch a 3D film using the glasses and get 2D,

Can I check - do you mean you can watch the 3D version without the glasses OK (no subsequent headaches etc?). We're having problems finding a non3d viewing and this might be a solution.

I wouldn't recommend this myself. I sat through part of the film sans glasses and it was very much a blur.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 72
RE: Top Notch Action - 8/9/2012 7:23:59 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

quote:

I wouldn't recommend this myself. I sat through part of the film sans glasses and it was very much a blur.

I did wonder - I thought it'd been filmed in proper 'real' 3D which means a full-on screen blur. Sorry Evil Pickle - my hopes have probably led to a gross misreading of your post!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 73
- 8/9/2012 8:57:33 PM   
beardyphysics

This is exactly the movie Dredd should be. It was gritty, dark and Urban was excellent. Really hope this ends up getting a sequel. 3D was utter shite though. It added nothing but expense to the experience.

Post #: 74
RE: Top Notch Action - 8/9/2012 8:59:10 PM   
sauchieboy

elab; according to Kermode, by swapping over the lenses of the glasses, you can watch a 3D film in glorious 2D. Dredd was my first 3D film, and I thought it worked okay.

The most obviously stylised slo-mo scenes were best suited to the technology, and managed to avoid the flat look that appears to be a problem with the process. Those scenes really are the visual centrepiece of the film, and I think they're really quite beautiful. The technique was quite subtly applied in a couple of scenes where Dredd and Anderson were stalking through the corridors, giving a neat illusion of depth; but for the most part the 3D was an interesting curio, rather than an essential feature.

They showed a trailer for Resident Evil beforehand, and I think the use of 3D there made me appreciate how artfully Dredd used the technique. Milla Jovovich looked like a character in Jenny Agutter's cardboard theatre from The Railway Children, disconnected from the background scenery and oddly independent of perspective.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 75
Saw it today: Loved it. - 8/9/2012 10:50:16 PM   
Nicky C

Reminds me of the hardcore actioners I grew up with, particularly Verhoeven's movies like Robocop and Total Recall. This is a solid genre movie for adults. Something that's been missing for a while. What I took away was that this was clearly a labour of love and that I want to get the 3D Blu Ray when it comes out. Definitely worth another viewing.

Post #: 76
RE: DREDD (2012) - 8/9/2012 11:40:35 PM   
furrybastard

Posting my kinda-review here. In summary, I very much liked it. I hate 3D - hate it - but it worked pretty well here and didn't bother me as much as it has in any other 3D film I've seen. Also it's fantastic to get a true Judge Dredd film. Not a pastiche but an honest and brutal depiction of a pretty dark world and character.

SPOILERS BELOW!!

Just back from a packed screening in Toronto as part of the film festival here. Dredd was also shown on Thursday night but as I was working, I went to the Saturday midday screening instead. I think it may have actually been full, there was a very lengthy queue to get in but luckily I arrived early so snagged myself a decent seat (Thursday's screening was also reportedly very busy, if not completely sold-out). There was also a pretty wide range of people there, from all ages (at least one of whom, standing behind me in the queue, was definitely not 18!). Of course, this was a film festival screening so perhaps that needs to be taken into account in terms of demographics.

As to the film itself, I'm just going to list out a few things I liked and also things that I feel could have been done better. Overall I really enjoyed it but I'm also aware that it's almost impossible for me to take any kind of objective view of things as a massive fan of Dredd for the best part of two decades now. I don't expect my views on the film (the good and the bad) are necessarily going to align with those of the regular filmgoing punter who isn't bringing any baggage to the film. To be honest, I have no idea what normos will think of it :D

Anyways...

For me, the strongest aspects of the film were the beginning and end. Karl Urban as Dredd is fantastic and gave some wonderful Dredd grimaces throughout. He managed to deliver a lot of the sometimes cheesy dialogue really well. The first Lawmaster scene was fantastic. In one scene, I thought I was looking at a recreation of a Cam Kennedy Dredd strip! Olivia Thrilby as Anderson was also wonderful, though at times she was weighed down by having to be Exposition Character #1. I loved the scenes where she took control and started taking out perps and I was actually a bit taken aback when she offed that first character.

Lena Headey was fantastic. A viscious snarl to compete with Dredd's grimace. She was also quite scary at the start. Funnily enough, during her first and last scenes (when she was on slo-mo) I was reminded of that short prologue story that was released last week and I felt a bit of sympathy for her. It was only during those scenes where she seemed at peace and actually human and - as vicious as she was - MaMa was also a product of her society. In many ways, her and Dredd were two sides of the same coin; Dredd has the law to give him a moral code but MaMa didn't have that. In another world, she probably would have made a great Judge. I do feel the film could have hinted at more of that depth that we learned of in the comic.

I hate 3D. But... it was pretty good here. Frankly, I don't think it was really necessary for anything other than the initial world-building shots of MC-1 and the (brilliant) slo-mo scenes. Again, the repetition of dark, grungy corridors and pretty in-close shooting scenes didn't exactly scream out for the use of 3D.

The post-shootout scene where Dredd calmly walks MaMa's lieutenant out in front of her and launches him off the edge. Awesome.

Dredd's one-liners: Almost all brilliant. "You're the psychic." :P

The comic references. From the respect given to creators - I kind of wish they'd packed out Control with 2000AD alumni - to tags for Chopper and Kenny Who?, they were all great. I didn't spot the Tom Frame block, unfortunately. Oh, and in the scene where Dredd and Anderson first investigate MaMa's victims, there's a very odd looking guy in the crowd who I thought might be Otto Sump (!?)

There were a few things I think could have been done better. The middle segment of the film was a bit plodding. There were too many scenes of Dredd wandering around repetitive looking dark corridors. A lot of the shooting scenes/taking out perps were pretty dull with extras just running into bullets. I would have liked to see a bit more creativity in these scenes as at times it felt like I was just watching somebody else play a shoot-em-up computer game. I've seen plenty of dynamic action scenes in low-budget action flicks so I don't think there's really an excuse here; I think Travis could have choreographed and shot those action scenes much better, even under the inherent restrictions of a low budget. The middle segment unfortunately hobbles the pacing of the film quite a bit but it soon picks up steam again when the 'backup' arrives.

Why did Dredd give MaMa slo-mo before pushing her out the window? Seemed like an odd thing for the character to do. I mean, I know it looked amazing and was done for that reason but... it didn't make much sense for Dredd to do that.

"Judgment tiiiime" Really? Not "Judgment is coming"? It elicited a pretty big laugh from the audience though I think by then they have been won over and were willing to go along with the cheese. Also Anderson's "Let's finish this": a line that should never be allowed in an action film.

I liked the little references to aspects of Dredd's world like mutants, the effectiveness of the Judges (only able to handle 6% of crimes everyday) and even Fatties. However I do feel they could have alluded to more of the lifestyle of MC-1 as it provides the audience with a lot more imagination ammunition and makes them curious about exploring that world further in sequels. This is a very small, picky complaint, I know. I'm essentially saying I wanted more, so in that sense the film succeeded! :D

I absolutely LOVED that the first thing you see when the film ends is "Judge Dredd created by John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra" in massive, bold font. Has there been any other comic book film that has paid such respect to its original creators?

Overall: a very good, if flawed, film. Pretty much perfect in terms of character and it serves its small plot well. I think it's a good introduction to Dredd and the system of the Judges - though not so much his world - and hopefully if there are sequels we'll see a much more expansive take on things and slightly more impressive and dynamic action scenes. I have no idea how Joe Public will take to it, to be honest. Could go either way!

Oh and it was great to finally see justice done to Judge Dredd. When people say film adaptations don't matter - that they don't effect the comics - I think of Judge Dredd and how, post-Stallone, any mention of him to the general public was always - always - followed up with mention of that film. It's brilliant to finally see the character validated in the public consciousness as the tough, no-nonsense, grumpy fucker that he has always been and the one we've come to know and love. :P

(in reply to Nicky C)
Post #: 77
RE: DREDD (2012) - 9/9/2012 11:25:29 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Excellent review/overview furry!

Really looking forward to watching it. I'm holding out for Wednesday because my local cinema does a special discount, £3.00 a ticket every Wednesdays!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 78
- 9/9/2012 1:49:33 PM   
hellboyx

As a long time reader of Dredd i was indeed filled with dread once a new film was announced. But my fear helped in many ways, because Dredd 3D was as far away from the 1995 film as it could be, it was brutal, it was clever, and most of all it was awesome! forget the comparison to the raid (which i still think is overly praised) and enjoy Dredd for what it is, pure throwback popcorn fun! Urban IS Dredd.

Post #: 79
RE: Top Notch Action - 9/9/2012 2:23:15 PM   
evilpickle4

Hi elab49. No, I meant that I could watch the 3D film and get a 2D view by putting the glasses on. I am near-blind in my right eye. I watched a few seconds without the glasses. I wouldn't recommend that as I can see how it would give someone a headache. With the glasses on I got to see the film in 2D with only one of the lenses used. If this option suits your needs then I recommend it. Trust me, the movie is worth it.

quote:

quote:

The Pickle is coming.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 80
RE: Top Notch Action - 9/9/2012 4:09:18 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: sauchieboy

elab; according to Kermode, by swapping over the lenses of the glasses, you can watch a 3D film in glorious 2D. Dredd was my first 3D film, and I thought it worked okay.

That is a fascinating bit of info, thank you. 3D generally gives me dreadful headaches so it's exceptionally rare I'd go - but if that trick works that would be great

quote:

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 81
RE: Top Notch Action - 9/9/2012 4:52:58 PM   
Invader_Ace

It was awesome. So pleased to finally see Dredd nailed perfectly. Loved the way he was a horrible fascist right to the end

< Message edited by Invader_Ace -- 9/9/2012 4:53:39 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 82
Drokk Me, its perfect! - 9/9/2012 5:15:59 PM   
Con Broccolli

Amazing flick. I was looking forward to this more then the dark knight rises (which disappointed) and was blown away. Absolutely loved how pared down it was. It reminded me of John Carpenter's fab films of the 80s (even the score resembled Carpenter's)

Disagree with Empire on two points - One, the action was far from clunky, It was actually just very realistic. Instead of ridiculous acrobatics we're used to these days in every action film, DREDD pulls back and offers up "quick draw" battles - The slow man on the trigger loses.

Two - Expand the world yes, but keep the shadowy, claustrophobic atmosphere. It's excellent. When the sequel ups the budget, it would be a shame if it fell into the trap of "bigger is better".

What I loved about this film more then anything else was its simplicity. This is old school film making. Tough, violent, uncompromising.

Now that I'm convinced Alex Garland is right on the money, my only concern is this - Learn from Nolan's mistake when he played the Joker too soon - Keep Judge Death for part three. That would be a cracking finale.

Best blockbuster of the year!

Post #: 83
Drokk Me, its perfect! - 9/9/2012 5:33:21 PM   
Con Broccolli

Amazing flick. I was looking forward to this more then the dark knight rises (which disappointed) and was blown away. Absolutely loved how pared down it was. It reminded me of John Carpenter's fab films of the 80s (even the score resembled Carpenter's)

Disagree with Empire on two points - One, the action was far from clunky, It was actually just very realistic. Instead of ridiculous acrobatics we're used to these days in every action film, DREDD pulls back and offers up "quick draw" battles - The slow man on the trigger loses.

Two - Expand the world yes, but keep the shadowy, claustrophobic atmosphere. It's excellent. When the sequel ups the budget, it would be a shame if it fell into the trap of "bigger is better".

What I loved about this film more then anything else was its simplicity. This is old school film making. Tough, violent, uncompromising.

Now that I'm convinced Alex Garland is right on the money, my only concern is this - Learn from Nolan's mistake when he played the Joker too soon - Keep Judge Death for part three. That would be a cracking finale.

Best blockbuster of the year!

Post #: 84
THROW DOWN YOUR WEAPONS AND PREPARE TO BE JUDGED... [F@... - 9/9/2012 7:21:14 PM   
Duane Barry

Bah! - never seen The Raid - Dont Care
Whats more Important - A proper Dredd MOVIE or that it is similar to The Raid?
A PROPER DREDD OF COURSE AND THE RAID DOES'NT HAVE LAW GIVERS OR JUDGES...
I can tell without even seeing Dredd that empire has this rating wrong - most viewers are giving 4's & 5's & thats good enough for me. The trailer blew me away - The Slo-Mo visuals are lovely & the mega block is perfect looking as are those sci-fi tracer rounds. Only complaint i can envisage are that dredd's costume isnt closer to the comic (but that might look terrible) & the lawmaster looks kind of like Streethawk.

IM sure The Raid is interesting & the parallel is obvious & unfortunate but not a reason to give a glowing review but doc one star for circumstance.

A cautious 4 as i havnt seen it yet

Post #: 85
3D TO 2D METHOD - 9/9/2012 7:25:34 PM   
Duane Barry

FYI: People are talking about Mark Kermodes 3d to 2d trick wrongly. You dont simply reverse the lenses - you need two pairs of specs to match a left lens with a left & a right lens with a right. This is because in your glasses both lenses are different thus giving 3d. For 2d you need two lenses of the same type to cancel out the 3d effect. Take a left from one pair & turn it so it fits into the right hand side of another pair of specs & swap out the right hand lens with the rotated left giving you a pair with two lefts. Then take the right you removed & rotate it to fit into the left of your other pair of specs. You now have two pairs of 3D to 2D glasses. If Im wrong someone please correct me but I think that is the method.

Post #: 86
RE: 3D TO 2D METHOD - 9/9/2012 7:36:49 PM   
Cool Breeze

Saw it last night and thought it was drokking good fun! Well worth the wait and at last a proper Judge Dredd film.I had the same feeling on leaving the cinema that i did in 2005 when i saw Batman Begins that i had finally seen one of my favourite comic book characters given a definitive adaptation.

The film is small scale,simple in its plot and execution,harsh and brutal.Everything a Dredd film should be.Karl Urban is an excellent Dredd.Ruthless and merciless.For a comic book adaptation it is relatvely low budget so dont go in expecting large TDKR set pieces.The action in this is fast and brutal with close quarters gunfights.I was forced into seeing this in 3D and it was effective in several sequences but its a dark film and 3Ds natural murky colour scheme sometimes made things hard to make out in those corridors.I look forward to seeing this again in proper 2D when it hits Blu Ray.

Oh and its much better than The Raid.As someone else said that film may have chop socky fights but Dredd has Judges,Lawgivers,Lawmasters and a truly bad ass DREDD!

four stars.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Duane Barry)
Post #: 87
Soild - 9/9/2012 9:56:18 PM   
tysmuse

enjoy it a lot. glorious 80's esque hyper violent action. Urban is terrific.

Post #: 88
RE: THROW DOWN YOUR WEAPONS AND PREPARE TO BE JUDGED...... - 10/9/2012 12:36:50 AM   
furrybastard

On this week's Empire podcast, Chris said that given the chance he'd probably up the score to 4 stars. If such things are important to people!

(in reply to Duane Barry)
Post #: 89
WELL IMPRESSED! - 10/9/2012 10:58:33 AM   
Fozola

Went to watch this last night (2-D thank fuck!) and thought it was awesome. Only thing I would say is how cool it would have been with the Stallone version budget. Also, Urban was great but wonder what Stallone would have been like in this version...keepin his fuckin hat on of course! Down point for me...lawmasters looked shit, the rest...shit hot and yes, Anderson read my frickin mind too!!!

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> 3-D Is WANK (Avatar aside) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI