Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Dredd

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Dredd Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dredd - 12/7/2012 9:12:35 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 12/7/2012 9:12:35 PM   
warren7355

Great to see so many positive vibes for this across the net, but lets be honest, of all the people that go on and on about The Raid, how many have actually seen it?! I guess less than 10%, but people love a bandwagon.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 12/7/2012 9:45:17 PM   
mofs

Is this the earliest review for a film ever? It isn't even out until September! If it's ready for release now do it dammit.

Post #: 3
shouldnt it be.... - 12/7/2012 9:45:25 PM   
jackcarter

"Just as it was virtually impossible to watch Prometheus without unbidden thoughts of AvP, so it goes with Dredd and The Raid..."

if it wasnt for The Raid would it have got an extra star? - if so maybe that could be in the review - 'add an extra star if you havent seen The Raid'

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 12/7/2012 9:58:40 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: shouldnt it be.... - 12/7/2012 9:55:45 PM   
UTB

Glad I haven't seen The Raid yet.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 5
RE: shouldnt it be.... - 12/7/2012 10:01:33 PM   
indysgill

I am happy with the Empire review, this io9 review also is positive.

http://io9.com/5925364/dredd-is-a-brutal-action-flick-with-both-a-high-body-count-and-a-brain

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 6
The Raid? Really? - 12/7/2012 10:38:46 PM   
sauchieboy

While I agree that no-one judges films in isolation, it would have been worth pointing out that Dredd had been in post-production for months by the time cameras even started turning on The Raid- especially in a review that makes such a great deal of comparing the two films.

Different genres, different stories, different time-settings and VERY different characters seem equally worthy of mention, and mean there's a greater degree of difference between this Dredd and The Raid than there was between the two versions of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

More people watched and enjoyed the English language version of that story (with the bigger budget and stars)- I'd expect the same to be true of Dredd.

Post #: 7
RE: - 12/7/2012 11:39:10 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: warren7355

Great to see so many positive vibes for this across the net, but lets be honest, of all the people that go on and on about The Raid, how many have actually seen it?! I guess less than 10%, but people love a bandwagon.

I'd question your basis for the guesstimate on figures - but even taking that on board I'd assume that Empire reviewers were among that 10% so know whereof they speak. As has been discussed elsewhere, it's not like The Raid is the only one with that base set-up anyway

If it's finished enough for the Comic-Con showing and reviews, it does seem something of a wait till release. Surely it would lose some of its review led head of steam?

< Message edited by elab49 -- 12/7/2012 11:40:45 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to warren7355)
Post #: 8
RE: Stop comparing it to The Raid! - 13/7/2012 12:18:27 AM   
Spaldron

Its a bit early for the review isn't it? The film isn't out till September.

And of all the sites to move away from using The Raid comparisons I figured Empire would be the one but alas no, which is not only a shame but as Hewitt suggests he would look on the film more favourably had this been released first which I find very unprofessional. So the judgements on this film are based on preference of another with an identical plot which was just lucky enough to get finished and released before Dredd? Yes that makes sense.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 9
RE: Stop comparing it to The Raid! - 13/7/2012 12:25:32 AM   
Rgirvan44

I don't see the problem - if the Raid hadn't been released before Dredd then Dredd would have looked fresher. But it wasn't and he isn't a robot a you do take that baggage in with you.

To put it another way, were people easier on Snow White and the Huntsman because they didn't like Mirror Mirror? And is that unprofessional?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 10
RE: Stop comparing it to The Raid! - 13/7/2012 12:36:25 AM   
dreddhead

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that although The Raid was a good film and an amazing achievement for such a low budget enterprise, the film was far from exceptional and I'm afraid that by the end I had real chop socky fatigue, coupled with that the film had very few engaging characters.
Dredd already looks better on paper because, well it's got Judge Dredd in it and the addition of having the female rookie Anderson creates someone the audience can identify with.
I suspect you can add a star to this rather stuffy review.

And I intend to see Dredd multiplel times, while The Raid was a one watch film for me.

< Message edited by dreddhead -- 13/7/2012 12:37:13 AM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 11
RE: Stop comparing it to The Raid! - 13/7/2012 12:38:40 AM   
Rgirvan44

Man named dreddhead believes Dredd will be a better film than The Raid.

All the news that is fit to print!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to dreddhead)
Post #: 12
RE: Stop comparing it to The Raid! - 13/7/2012 1:36:28 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Man named dreddhead believes Dredd will be a better film than The Raid.

All the news that is fit to print!

No waaaaaaaaay it cant be him can it?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 13
RE: Stop comparing it to The Raid! - 13/7/2012 2:40:11 AM   
directorscut

That bad, eh? Two whole stars worse than Attack of the Clones? Is that even possible?

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 14
Fair enough Empire? - 13/7/2012 4:09:40 AM   
willy2fly

From what ive seen of the trailer and read via the online pipeline, this is an honest review. I get the feeling the writer is a fan like us die hard 2000AD Dredd headz. The comparisons to THE RAID are unavoidable. However, i urge EMPIRE to bump the review up to 4 stars instead of 3. Consider this, DREDD was in development long before THE RAID and if Urban's performance is as strong and there is as much to admire as you say then an additional star will help the non believers and unfamiliar support this film with their cinema £ when it's released. We all want to see Dredd and it's new imagineers play in a wider, bigger budget sandbox and an additional star will go some way to convince those who look to EMPIRE for their weekly cinema choice. I want, Dredd headz want it and it seems EMPIRE wants it too. Whats a star between fans EMPIRE? Go on, do it for the good points and lets get DREDD the bigger, better sequel it will only get if more show it the credit and return it deserves. If the elements to get right are right as u say, support with 4 stars and make a difference. DREDD 4EVA. I AM THE LAW!!!!!!

Post #: 15
Fair enough Empire? - 13/7/2012 4:09:44 AM   
willy2fly

From what ive seen of the trailer and read via the online pipeline, this is an honest review. I get the feeling the writer is a fan like us die hard 2000AD Dredd headz. The comparisons to THE RAID are unavoidable. However, i urge EMPIRE to bump the review up to 4 stars instead of 3. Consider this, DREDD was in development long before THE RAID and if Urban's performance is as strong and there is as much to admire as you say then an additional star will help the non believers and unfamiliar support this film with their cinema £ when it's released. We all want to see Dredd and it's new imagineers play in a wider, bigger budget sandbox and an additional star will go some way to convince those who look to EMPIRE for their weekly cinema choice. I want, Dredd headz want it and it seems EMPIRE wants it too. Whats a star between fans EMPIRE? Go on, do it for the good points and lets get DREDD the bigger, better sequel it will only get if more show it the credit and return it deserves. If the elements to get right are right as u say, support with 4 stars and make a difference. DREDD 4EVA. I AM THE LAW!!!!!!

Post #: 16
Chris Hewitt or Ian Nathan? - 13/7/2012 8:22:07 AM   
dragon_irl

Whose your mentor Chris?

Post #: 17
Chris Hewitt or Ian Nathan? - 13/7/2012 8:22:08 AM   
dragon_irl

Whose your mentor Chris?

Post #: 18
RE: Chris Hewitt or Ian Nathan? - 13/7/2012 11:06:54 AM   
Happy Shrapnel

Can't wait to see this !

In John Le Mesurier's last words........

' Its All Been Rather Lovely '

Happy Trails

(in reply to dragon_irl)
Post #: 19
RE: Stop comparing it to The Raid! - 13/7/2012 11:19:19 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I don't see the problem - if the Raid hadn't been released before Dredd then Dredd would have looked fresher. But it wasn't and he isn't a robot a you do take that baggage in with you.

To put it another way, were people easier on Snow White and the Huntsman because they didn't like Mirror Mirror? And is that unprofessional?

And if it hadn't been Raid there are, as has been noted, other films to compare it too. It just happens to be The Raid is the most recent and the easiest to point to. The point, however, reads to me that the set-up isn't all that fresh but they still seem to have really enjoyed the film, so the film is more than just the basic furniture - and the stars are based on this. The specific film compared to seems to be a bit of a red herring - but I'm guessing one that many posters in this thread may hang on to as the reason for the lack of the 4th star.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 20
Looking forward to this - 13/7/2012 11:37:42 AM   
danielthompson99

Couple of things the first film did do well ; The Angel Gang, The CGI city and Hershey (hubba hubba!)

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 21
BORING! - 13/7/2012 12:08:52 PM   
PearceyHUFC

Here we go again, another 3 star review for one of the biggest films of the year. U was spot on with Prometheus but wrong about Spider-Man! Deserved 4 stars! You could be right about 3 stars but it's just a recurring theme. Make it stop.

Post #: 22
RE: BORING! - 13/7/2012 12:15:14 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: PearceyHUFC

Here we go again, another 3 star review for one of the biggest films of the year. U was spot on with Prometheus but wrong about Spider-Man! Deserved 4 stars! You could be right about 3 stars but it's just a recurring theme. Make it stop.

Isn't this slightly absurd? How can Empire make it stop - talk to the studios.

I'm intrigued this is considered one of the biggest films of the year, though. Is Dredd really that major an anticipation outside a small, very vocal and very passionate group?

quote:

(in reply to PearceyHUFC)
Post #: 23
RE: BORING! - 13/7/2012 12:32:00 PM   
horribleives

quote:

It's posts like this that kept me well away from the Spiderman thread and have ensured I won't be going anywhere near the Dark Knight Rises one.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 24
RE: BORING! - 13/7/2012 12:39:44 PM   
Whistler

quote:

This makes no sense. You're saying Empire should've rated this differently just so it wasn't the same as a few of their last reviews? What would be the point in the star system if it was just based on variation?

Post #: 25
RE: BORING! - 13/7/2012 1:11:14 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Let's break this comment down

- Empire have given Dredd a three star review. You do not agree with this based on something.
- However you acknowledge that they were right to give Prometheus a three star review.
- However you feel that Spider-Man should have had 4 stars instead of 3.
- You then say it is a recurring theme.
- You ask for it to stop.

So are you saying that Empire should have given Prometheus 4 stars despite the reviewer feeling it was a 3 star...because you don't like 3 star reviews?

Do you see how this doesn't make sense?

Post #: 26
I haven't seen The Raid, I watched a 3 min clip before ... - 13/7/2012 1:22:19 PM   
Cameron1975Williams

...it bored me. It was 3 mins! Anyway, I am looking forward to this. Kar Urban was excellent in Star Trek.

Post #: 27
RE: I haven't seen The Raid, I watched a 3 min clip bef... - 13/7/2012 1:44:15 PM   
Cool Breeze

Didn't think much of The Raid so im confidant Dredd will be much better.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Cameron1975Williams)
Post #: 28
Draidd - 13/7/2012 1:46:28 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Didn't think much of The Raid so im confidant Dredd will be much better.

Or you could come out not liking both?

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 29
Raid looked crap anyway - 13/7/2012 2:09:42 PM   
leroythemasochist

boring high kicks and machetes. whatever.
been a dredd fan since the 70s so loving the gritty take.
i actually like a big slam bam gut busting old fashioned shoot out.
not a fan of dizzying camera angles either.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Dredd Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI