Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> AKIRA Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AKIRA - 12/7/2012 10:26:05 AM   
Nexus Wookie

AKIRA(1988)

Akira; what a film! This animated masterpiece from Katsuhiro Otomo based on his excellent Manga, changed the whole Anime landscape. It changed the way people viewed Anime in the west and kick-started the whole Anime/Manga craze.

Manga

I remember being hooked on the monthly release of Manga Mania magazine. They had Akira as one of their long running comic series and I was glued to the pages every month. It was like nothing i'd seen before. The art by Otomo was beautiful to behold, with aweinspiring detail of Neo Tokyo.

The film version is much different than the comic on which it is based. Of course it's hard to edit 2,000 plus pages of a comic into a 2 hour film - but Otomo managed it with great effect. From the opening scene the viewer is immediatly grabbed and flung into Neo Tokyo. We are introduced to the biker gang's causing rampage through the streets of Neo Tokyo as they hunt out one another. The detail of the opening scenes, the animation and the quality of it is simply beautiful to behold. Nothing is left out, even the light's from the bike light's take a second extra to fade away from the screen.

Story

The story is set in the year 2019 in Neo Tokyo. The film opens with an explosion which destroys the old Tokyo (the ghosts of Hiroshima still weigh heavy on the Japanese psyche - and Otomo's opening scenes are no doubt a reminder of that devestating event). In it's wake Neo Tokyo is built with towering sky scraper's reminiscent of Fritz Lang's Metropolis and Ridley Scott's Blade Runner. The plot revolves around warring -biker gang's, shadowy goverment people, terrorists, psychic manipulation, body-horror. But the main story revolves around friendship. Friendship between two character's, orpan's Kaneda and Tetsuo. Tetsuo is forvever the weakling of the pack, he resents the fact that he is always being rescued by Kaneda and he feels he has a point to prove. At the same time the goverment is doing test's on three withered children with huge psychic abilities. Soon Tetsuo's path is crossed with one of these psychic children, and he his life takes a turn for the worst. He is taken by the military and a number of tests are done on him. The scientist's are astounded by the psychic energy which Tetsuo shows signs of. Little do they know what they will awaken and the devestating consequences this will entail.

Animation

The plot is very intricate, but never confusing. No one second of the 120 minutes is wasted on screen. I found it one of the most engaging, spectacular animated films I had seen. The level of detail in this film is astounding, from the rubbish that litters the alleyways, to the movement of a character's eyes. As I stated earlier, the opening scenes which show cases the sprawling city scape, and the bike chases is simply breath-taking.

Score

One of the reason's Akira is a such a unique viewing experience is the majestic music! Its performed by Geinoh Yamashirogumi - a popular group in Japan. One of my favourite track's by them is the opening score called 'Kaneda' it is absolutely brilliant, using sound's which are unique and very 'ethnic' sounding to the ears, as well as using their voices to create a musical masterpiece. The music of Akira moves me like no other animated film does. It is rich, unique and absolutely mesmerising to behold.

Favourite scenes

Tetsuo's nightmare

One of my favourite scenes (out of many) from the film is the hospital scene where Tetsuo has the hallucination's. The music is immensly chilling and every time I view this scene I have to have the light's on! Tetsuo lies in the bed, thirsty for a glass of water. Watch how the glass falls to the ground leaving a trail of water as it does so. Again its these small details which make this film visually impressive. Coming back to the scene, Tetsuo has a hallucination where three minature toys climb onto his bed, listen out for the music it is very playful. But it soon changes as the wall's break down and a giant teddybear emerges through it! One of its hand is shaped like a snake snapping out to frighten it's victim. Tetsuo is being attacked by the three psychic children who fear him. They know what powers he conceal's and are all too aware of the danger's it represent's. But it only enrages him further. It is an astonishing scene and one which amazes me with every viewing.

Flashback's

I also love the poetic flashback's in the film where we see a young Kaneda and Tetsuo meeting for the first time. They're both bullied at school by the older kids and Kaneda takes Tetsuo. Under his wings. In another scene we see both friend's drawing chalk pictures on the playground together. It show's both their relationship and how close they were as kids. Another scene show's the three psychic children in school. Their head's are bandaged and they perform psychic test's for the scientist's who watch in astonishment as if these innocent children are mere guinea pig's. We also get a glimpse of Akira, the child whose psychic power is responsible for the destruction of old Tokyo. Coupled with the majestic score these are moment's from the film which really seer themselves onto the memory.

'The light of Tetsuo'

It's hard not to be moved by this scene, as we see Kaneda kneeling on the ground, clasping the fading 'light of Tetsuo' in his hand's. His friend is no more, and although they had their differences, they were still friends. And Kaneda understood Tetsuo like no other. It is a poignant ending to a fascinating film. And one which I find hard to shake from my feeling's no matter how many times I view it.

Conclusion

Akira still hold's the power to move, and engage over 20 years after its release. And it is as vital as ever. It still remain's one of my favourite film's and one I love coming back to from time to time.

Please feel free to discuss this awesome, science-fiction masterpiece!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/
Post #: 1
RE: AKIRA - 12/7/2012 11:43:19 AM   
st3veebee

I waited ten years to see this after failing to find it on DVD locally, it never seemed to be on TV and I , well, ultimately forgot about it. Last year it finally showed up on Film4 and my excitement was reignited. I should also sate that action anime had rarely done it for me before with the odd exception (Castle of Cagliostro) and excluding other Miyazaki works, I wasn't a particularly big fan of the genre.

I bloody loved it.

Not sure what else to say about it really: it's a bizarre film set in a future I hope to never see with bikes, floating children and a rapidly mutating psychic kid at the end. It also features lot of name shouting.

Really should get this on Blu Ray at some point. Great review by the way!. 

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 2
RE: AKIRA - 12/7/2012 12:29:53 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

I waited ten years to see this after failing to find it on DVD locally, it never seemed to be on TV and I , well, ultimately forgot about it. Last year it finally showed up on Film4 and my excitement was reignited. I should also sate that action anime had rarely done it for me before with the odd exception (Castle of Cagliostro) and excluding other Miyazaki works, I wasn't a particularly big fan of the genre.

I bloody loved it.

Not sure what else to say about it really: it's a bizarre film set in a future I hope to never see with bikes, floating children and a rapidly mutating psychic kid at the end. It also features lot of name shouting.

Thank's St3veebee! Glad you liked it! It's a film which grows on you with each viewing. I remember reading a thread on here, on the top 50 sci-fi film's of all time. Number 1 was Akira, I remember writing a post writing as to how wrong it was, and that Blade Runner or 2001 deserved the top stop. Well I take it all back - this film deserves to be number 1 without doubt. It never ceases to thrill me, engage me with each new viewing!

A question St3veebee, did you watch the original Japanese language version with subtitles or the dubbed version? The reason why I say this, is because I love the (more recent) dubbed English version. Don't get me wrong - I love subtitles - but I thought the remastered widescreen version had an excellent dub - much better than the previous (old) one!

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 3
RE: AKIRA - 12/7/2012 1:31:30 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Arguably the finest Anime created and its also the best Manga I've ever read.
Katsuhiro Otomo is a genius.

Post #: 4
RE: AKIRA - 12/7/2012 1:43:44 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

This film is a stunning achievement for thought provoking adult science fiction and undoubtedly one of the finest animated films of all time. Suprised there's not been a thread for it before - good job Nexus

Post #: 5
RE: AKIRA - 12/7/2012 1:53:24 PM   
Nexus Wookie

No problem Fluke Skywalker! I too was quite surprised to find 'no match' when I tried looking for it on the search engine - a film of this calibre which was game changing in a way deserves more recognition. Awesome pics by the way!

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 6
RE: AKIRA - 12/7/2012 2:24:48 PM   
jonson

There used to be a thread on Akira, 100% sure, many moons ago.
I think this was the first Manga/Anime/whatever you pedants want to call it I ever saw. Astonishing really. I remember thinking what the fuck when I first saw it, however it does need repeated viewings IMO.
I'll admit to having it on DVD now for about 5 years but the wrapper is still on it.
Considering this is almost 25 years old, and the influence it has had on so many other films (and filmmakers) since is astonishing, it must be one of the most groundbreaking and influential films of the last 30 years. I spent a lot of time after watching some really bad anime, but I don't think any of them quite got up to Akira's standards.

I'd love to see a live action remake though, admittedly, if the budget could ever be found.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 7
RE: AKIRA - 12/7/2012 2:53:36 PM   
Rhubarb

TETSUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

KANEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAA

KANEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAA

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 8
RE: AKIRA - 12/7/2012 3:01:26 PM   
Nexus Wookie

HASENAAAAAA HASENAAAA HASE HASE HASENAAAAAAA
HASENAAAAAA HASENAAAAA HASE HASE HASENAAAAAA!

(Freakin' awesome!)

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 12/7/2012 3:06:39 PM >

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 9
RE: AKIRA - 12/7/2012 3:11:55 PM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

quote:

I bloody loved it.

Thank's St3veebee! Glad you liked it! It's a film which grows on you with each viewing. I remember reading a thread on here, on the top 50 sci-fi film's of all time. Number 1 was Akira, I remember writing a post writing as to how wrong it was, and that Blade Runner or 2001 deserved the top stop. Well I take it all back - this film deserves to be number 1 without doubt. It never ceases to thrill me, engage me with each new viewing!

A question St3veebee, did you watch the original Japanese language version with subtitles or the dubbed version? The reason why I say this, is because I love the (more recent) dubbed English version. Don't get me wrong - I love subtitles - but I thought the remastered widescreen version had an excellent dub - much better than the previous (old) one!

I saw dubbed version, and loved it. I saw a few Miyazakis in both dubbed and original subtitled and always preferred the dubbed. I have no issues with subtitles, it's just that when it is animated and synced well I would prefer to focus on the images all the time!

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

Post #: 10
RE: AKIRA - 12/7/2012 3:16:47 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

There used to be a thread on Akira, 100% sure, many moons ago.
I think this was the first Manga/Anime/whatever you pedants want to call it I ever saw. Astonishing really. I remember thinking what the fuck when I first saw it, however it does need repeated viewings IMO.
I'll admit to having it on DVD now for about 5 years but the wrapper is still on it.
Considering this is almost 25 years old, and the influence it has had on so many other films (and filmmakers) since is astonishing, it must be one of the most groundbreaking and influential films of the last 30 years. I spent a lot of time after watching some really bad anime, but I don't think any of them quite got up to Akira's standards.

I'd love to see a live action remake though, admittedly, if the budget could ever be found.

Well it did come close.
If it was to become a live action film it possibly needs to be stretched over atleast two films.
There is so many characters that got the chop in the Anime,and arguably big,important ones at that.
Characters like Chiyoko,Tetsou's creep/suit aide,Lady Miyako,Joker,Nezu,the secret agent and the creepy eyed witch got little to no showing.But its understandable.

If a live action film was to come about again then the budget must meet its asperations.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 12/7/2012 3:56:32 PM >

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 11
RE: AKIRA - 12/7/2012 3:37:53 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

quote:

I bloody loved it.

I saw dubbed version, and loved it. I saw a few Miyazakis in both dubbed and original subtitled and always preferred the dubbed. I have no issues with subtitles, it's just that when it is animated and synced well I would prefer to focus on the images all the time!

I couldn't agree with you more mate! I too prefer the dubbed version especially to animated film's solely for the reason's you have outlined. Talking about Studio Ghibli film's, I think they do a sterling job on dubbed version's. Watching film's like Howl''s Moving Castle and Ponyo, you'd think that the English version was the original version!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 12/7/2012 4:36:53 PM >

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 12
RE: AKIRA - 12/7/2012 10:13:35 PM   
Saltire

Seen this film dozens of times and it never gets old, an astonishing work that is perfect in everything from the storytelling, through the animation, to the soundtrack. Its one of the few films I easily give a 10/10 to and is probably in my top five favourite films of them all.

Post #: 13
RE: AKIRA - 12/7/2012 10:43:18 PM   
rich

Fantastic film, and a personal high for anime quality from the frame rate alone. I do like the soundtrack too. The manga is pretty good too.

Weekend write-ups

Post #: 14
RE: AKIRA - 2/9/2012 12:04:25 AM   
max314

An epic scope matched by an equally epic thematic ambition cocoons a complex and intimate story of brotherly love.

★★★★★

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> AKIRA Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI