Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand - 12/7/2012 3:35:45 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: thedrin

Is Steven Lawrence's mother so recognisable that the jury is likely to know who she is?

I should imagine so. Any half-educated person who's watched a Panorama or Crimewatch programme in the last 10-15 years knows what all the Lawrence family look like. Personally I just think it sounds like a complete media stunt which is what I would expect from a family like the Ferdinand's, but not the Lawrence's who have always acted with dignity and selflessness given the horrific and tragic circumstances that have befallen their family.

I'm with Fluke, they're both dickheads and they both try and wind each other up and other players. They're both what's wrong with the modern footballer and I don't buy Ferdinand being "hurt" by any of it for one second, frankly it seems to me he's just seen the celebrity, and the extra pound signs, this opportunity brings. But if Terry has been racist, he deserves to face the punishment and to be made an example of. Mind you a 5-day trial with all the taxpayer's money used for a 2,500 fine as the maximum sentence feels a bit of a joke to be honest and I'm already sick to death of it.

Because of them winding each other up or their extracurricullar activities? 'Cause if it's the former they're not the only players who do it and it's been going on since football began.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 31
RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand - 12/7/2012 3:45:54 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Seems an unnecessay use of the tar brush there - you've got no idea what the woman is like.

No I don't know her personally but this action, and the actions I've seen of her sons in the past, does not exactly present the image of especially decent people to be honest. Nor with Terry, but that goes without saying given his past.

quote:

Because of them winding each other up or their extracurricullar activities? 'Cause if it's the former they're not the only players who do it and it's been going on since football began.

Both. It's gotten considerably worse though and and with the way footballers are seen as role models today the foul language they use on the pitch and in front of the television cameras, the behaviour they display and in the case of Terry, their personal actions off the field, this is a concern.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 32
RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand - 12/7/2012 4:01:53 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

Seems an unnecessay use of the tar brush there - you've got no idea what the woman is like.

No I don't know her personally but this action, and the actions I've seen of her sons in the past, does not exactly present the image of especially decent people to be honest. Nor with Terry, but that goes without saying given his past.

quote:

Both. It's gotten considerably worse though and and with the way footballers are seen as role models today the foul language they use on the pitch and in front of the television cameras, the behaviour they display and in the case of Terry, their personal actions off the field, this is a concern.

It's pretty hard not to swear when you're playing football though and as for the television cameras - fuck them. It's the crew's job to decide where to stick the camera, players can't be expected to rein it in so as not to offend anyone. That's what annoyed me about the Rooney thing - it basically reinforced the idea that the television viewer is all important, above and beyond the supporters in the stadium, most of whom couldn't give two shits if players swear - I know I couldn't, I spend most of virtually every game swearing my head off.
And to be honest, I'd be surprised if anyone thought of footballers as role models these days anyway.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 12/7/2012 4:02:54 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 33
RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand - 12/7/2012 4:06:29 PM   
matty_b

quote:

quote:

No I don't know her personally but this action, and the actions I've seen of her sons in the past, does not exactly present the image of especially decent people to be honest.

Yes, horrible people always come from horrible parents.

That is almost definitely how it works.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 34
RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand - 12/7/2012 4:09:54 PM   
horribleives

I'm not sure what Anton's supposed to have done wrong in the past either (other than play for sunderland, obviously )

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 35
RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand - 12/7/2012 4:14:33 PM   
erasheha1985

To be fair to Addikted (sorry goodfella) Rio did that wind up's programme, clearly his awful parents watched too much Jeremy Beadle. You really don't help yourself do you goodfella? Still.

< Message edited by erasheha1985 -- 12/7/2012 4:15:25 PM >

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 36
RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand - 12/7/2012 4:15:56 PM   
matty_b

quote:

(in reply to erasheha1985)
Post #: 37
RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand - 12/7/2012 4:18:29 PM   
erasheha1985

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

long time member of the old orange forum, back in day as they say, sometime reader of this one.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 38
RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand - 12/7/2012 4:22:55 PM   
matty_b

Ah, OK. Making sense now...

quote:

Post #: 39
RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand - 12/7/2012 4:24:03 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I don't know how this got turned into a debate on momma Ferdinand - I don't really know a great deal about Anton but Rio's always come across a good bloke

Post #: 40
RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand - 12/7/2012 7:21:18 PM   
horribleives

He had an affair and once missed a drugs test therefore he must be evil. Don't you read the papers?

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 41
RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand - 12/7/2012 7:33:52 PM   
Lazarus munkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lazarus munkey

This is the 'bad' racism, right?

Not the acceptable sort, like when Andy Murray becomes a 'Scottish c***' for not being David Beckham or being as good as we want him to be and having the temerity to have tabloid stories invented about him. Or when England are playing the dirty Krauts or surrender monkeys who, we are reliably informed, "don't like it up 'em".

Please for the love of God stop this "look at the English blatantly being racist against our poor Scottish tennis player" crap.
Just look through the international football threads to see pretty much the same and worse coming from the other side of our northern boarder and across the Irish sea.
The hypocrisy on that tennis thread was running at ridiculous levels.

None of it is right, but this holier-than-thou is just really getting tired now.

How have I been 'holier-than-thou'? I really need this explaining.

< Message edited by Lazarus munkey -- 12/7/2012 8:56:05 PM >

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 42
RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand - 12/7/2012 8:24:52 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: thedrin

Is Steven Lawrence's mother so recognisable that the jury is likely to know who she is?

I should imagine so. Any half-educated person who's watched a Panorama or Crimewatch programme in the last 10-15 years knows what all the Lawrence family look like. Personally I just think it sounds like a complete media stunt which is what I would expect from a family like the Ferdinand's, but not the Lawrence's who have always acted with dignity and selflessness given the horrific and tragic circumstances that have befallen their family.

I'm with Fluke, they're both dickheads and they both try and wind each other up and other players. They're both what's wrong with the modern footballer and I don't buy Ferdinand being "hurt" by any of it for one second, frankly it seems to me he's just seen the celebrity, and the extra pound signs, this opportunity brings. But if Terry has been racist, he deserves to face the punishment and to be made an example of. Mind you a 5-day trial with all the taxpayer's money used for a 2,500 fine as the maximum sentence feels a bit of a joke to be honest and I'm already sick to death of it.

This, so far, wins "Stupidest post of the thread"

A couple of things I wouldn't mind you clarifying here....

1. Anton Ferdinand plays for a London based premier league club. Has had a decent career and is well paid. Can you explain how this case helps his "Celebrity"? Also you think he will make significant money out of this? Really? What if Terry walks?

2. A media stunt, orchestrated by who? Also who does it benefit?

3. Both what is wrong with the "modern footballer"? Which is what exactly seeing as on field abuse has been happening since forever? I mean, why is this an ill of "The modern footballer"?

4. "A family like Ferdinands"....I'm dying to hear your reasoned explanation for this one.

< Message edited by Keyser Sozzled -- 12/7/2012 8:25:43 PM >

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 43
RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand - 12/7/2012 8:40:06 PM   
sanchia

I recognise the Lawrence name but would not be able to pick his mother out of a crowd.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 44
RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand - 12/7/2012 8:59:42 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

I recognise the Lawrence name but would not be able to pick his mother out of a crowd.

Then apparently you're a thicko who's never seen Crimewatch.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 45
RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand - 12/7/2012 9:31:41 PM   
sanchia

Nope I just have poor memory for faces. Thanks for the insult though, nice manners.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 46
RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand - 12/7/2012 9:36:24 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

Nope I just have poor memory for faces. Thanks for the insult though, nice manners.

I think he's referring to this

quote:

I should imagine so. Any half-educated person who's watched a Panorama or Crimewatch programme in the last 10-15 years knows what all the Lawrence family look like.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 47
RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand - 12/7/2012 9:54:45 PM   
sanchia

I apologise.

I also spend more time reading news than watching it.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 48
RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand - 12/7/2012 10:07:12 PM   
adambatman82

I wouldn't recognise Mrs. Lawrence either. I watch Panorama too.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 49
RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand - 12/7/2012 10:24:55 PM   
elab49

Goodfella, I think you've maybe stretched that a bit? The original point is that people would know who she is - that's not quite the same as the ability to pick her out of a lineup. Although it's probably likely that the press at the court would be the type who would be able to, given the topic and the location., 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 50
RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand - 13/7/2012 12:56:45 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

quote:

quote:

No I don't know her personally but this action, and the actions I've seen of her sons in the past, does not exactly present the image of especially decent people to be honest.

Who said anything about her being a "horrible parent"? I said the action was distasteful but not greatly surprising given the Ferdinand players don't strike me as pleasant men either so putting the two together the family itself is not impressing me much at the moment.

quote:

To be fair to Addikted (sorry goodfella) Rio did that wind up's programme, clearly his awful parents watched too much Jeremy Beadle. You really don't help yourself do you goodfella? Still.

At least spell the older username correctly, it would be a good start. Also try posting under your previous username if your after a wind-up, it might have a bit more effect then, mind you I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say you were probably banned so I'm not likely to take it too seriously. I'm entitled to my opinion so you know what you can do don't you?

quote:

1. Anton Ferdinand plays for a London based premier league club. Has had a decent career and is well paid. Can you explain how this case helps his "Celebrity"? Also you think he will make significant money out of this? Really? What if Terry walks?

3. Both what is wrong with the "modern footballer"? Which is what exactly seeing as on field abuse has been happening since forever? I mean, why is this an ill of "The modern footballer"?

4. "A family like Ferdinands"....I'm dying to hear your reasoned explanation for this one.

Get in line. Your not the user above as well are you?

1) I never said the case helped his celebrity did I? I was talking about the actions of his mother by bringing Lawrence's mother along to the trial, as in a publicity stunt, I never once said anything about the case of accused racism helping Ferdinand's celebrity. You should re-read what I put.

2) It could potentially benefit the case, the involvement of the mother of one of the most high-profile racist crimes in recent British history is likely to evoke emotions, as it clearly has done given the media reaction to it. That's half the reason it's worked it's way into this thread!

3) Well they're not exactly great rolemodels are they? I'm not talking about all of them am I? I'm talking about the direction some modern footballers have gone in.

4) Neither of the Ferdinands strike me as especially pleasant people, nor, as I'll say again, does Terry, but then that's nothing new although I suppose I'm jumping the gun their too?

Is that a "reasonable enough explanation" for you? Make sure when you reply you actually bother to read what I posted before jumping to conclusions, which is ironically what your accusing me of.

quote:

Goodfella, I think you've maybe stretched that a bit? The original point is that people would know who she is - that's not quite the same as the ability to pick her out of a lineup. Although it's probably likely that the press at the court would be the type who would be able to, given the topic and the location

It's not the point of being able to pick her out of the public gallery though is it? The fact that was she was there is going to draw media attention (and it has hasn't it?) and that in itself is the distasteful act as I can't really understand why she's there. I wasn't the first person here to raise that point either but I notice everyone else has gone quiet.

The Lawrence family have been very high-profile for the last 10-15 years, especially recently given the re-opening of the case and the convictions that followed.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 13/7/2012 9:17:49 AM >

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 51
RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand - 13/7/2012 1:28:39 AM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Who said anything about her being a "horrible parent"? I said the action was distasteful but not greatly surprising given the Ferdinand players don't strike me as pleasant men either so putting the two together the family itself is not impressing me much at the moment.

quote:

At least spell the older username correctly, it would be a good start. Also try posting under your previous username if your after a wind-up, it might have a bit more effect then, mind you I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say you were probably banned so I'm not likely to take it too seriously. I'm entitled to my opinion so you know what you can do don't you?

quote:

Get in line. Your not the user above as well are you?

1) I never said the case helped his celebrity did I? I was talking about the actions of his mother by bringing Lawrence's mother along to the trial, as in a publicity stunt, I never once said anything about the case of accused racism helping Ferdinand's celebrity. You should re-read what I put.

2) It could potentially benefit the case, the involvement of the mother of one of the most high-profile racist crimes in recent British history is likely to evoke emotions, as it clearly has done given the media reaction to it. That's half the reason it's worked it's way into this thread!

3) Well they're not exactly great rolemodels are they? I'm not talking about all of them am I? I'm talking about the direction some modern footballers have gone in.

4) Neither of the Ferdinands strike me as especially pleasant people, nor, as I'll say again, does Terry, but then that's nothing new although I suppose I'm jumping the gun their too?

Is that a "reasonable enough explanation" for you? Make sure when you reply you actually bother to read what I posted before jumping to conclusions, which is ironically what your accusing me of.

quote:

Goodfella, I think you've maybe stretched that a bit? The original point is that people would know who she is - that's not quite the same as the ability to pick her out of a lineup. Although it's probably likely that the press at the court would be the type who would be able to, given the topic and the location

It's not the point of being able to pick her out of the public gallery though is it? The fact that was she was there is going to draw media attention (and it has hasn't it?) and that in itself is the distasteful act as I can't really understand why she's there. I wasn't the first person here to raise that point either but I notice everyone else has gone quiet.

The Lawrence family have been very high-profile for the last 10-15 years, especially recently given the re-opening of the case and the convictions that followed.

Shouldn't that be the other way round though? We still don't know why she was there so it might be distasteful. For all we know she could be a close friend of the family.
And I still don't know what you've got against Rio and Anton. Other than the former having an affair I don't think any of us know enough about either of them to judge them as unpleasant people.
Also, with regards to the role model thing - again, who expects them to be? And yes, plenty of modern footballers do appear to have a certain lack of moral fibre but this has more to do with greed than something as trivial as swearing at each other on the pitch, which is such a normal part of playing (and watching) the game that most fans don't even notice it

< Message edited by horribleives -- 13/7/2012 1:30:36 AM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 52
RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand - 13/7/2012 8:01:38 AM   
jonson

quote:

The fact that was she was there is going to draw media attention (and it has hasn't it?) and that in itself is the distasteful act as I can't really understand why she's there. I wasn't the first person here to raise that point either but I notice everyone else has gone quiet.

Well I pointed it out at the beginning, mainly becasue I was so annoyed that she was even there, and also for mistakenly thinking there was a jury involved and this would obviously influence them. I didn't expect the thread to be solely about Stephen Lawrence's Mum, or even a debate on whether the Ferdinands were a nice family or not.

Just reading the reports do far, it seems more like when a headteacher rounds up a gang of naughty schoolboys, and they all give different stories, and the only real punishment is treat them all the same, bang their head together, tell their parents and take their football off them. Which I'm pretty sure is all we'll see here. Months of media talk, thousands of wasted pounds, and John Terry is rightly or wrongly labelled a racist for the rest of his life and Anton Ferdinand looks like a mardy petulant child, all while the SKY cameras jostle for position to film the will-they-or-won't-they handshake the next time they play each other.
No idea why I even bothered starting a thread about it

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 53
RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand - 13/7/2012 9:16:33 AM   
elab49

quote:

:

Any half-educated person who's watched a Panorama or Crimewatch programme in the last 10-15 years knows what all the Lawrence family look like

Jonson's point wasn't quite what you said, so please don't wilfully misread. A general comment on the appearance became, in your post, a specific attack on someone's intelligence if they didn't specifically recognise Mrs Lawrence, her husband and presumably her second cousin twice removed. This is why mis-speaking puts peoples backs up and pulls threads off-track. That and randomly categorising people based on no information.

I think you're understating it quite a bit though Jonson. I do wonder about the court case and I'm still unsure why it's happened - is it specifically the 'caught on camera' but? (For some reason this keeps reminding me of Hillsborough and wondering if nothing has changed - if you didn't see it on a TV camera then nothing happened).

In terms of the FA I don't see how there couldn't be a case to answer - the Suarez case and judgement made that pretty clear. And if someone said it there should be - that's how the attitute to racism in football works, rightly, these days - there is too much influence for it not to (remember all the stories of stroppy kids in little leagues after Rooney's little tantrum?).

I think it would be fairer if it was also made clear that certainly English football seems so far ahead of the game in tackling this though - that's partly why an incident with a likely English captain would rightly get so much focus, it's too important. But it does seem that many if not most of our European neighbours aren't far out the starting gate. At least some of the media have been reminding people of that - there have been small pieces by people like David Preece comparing home and abroad experiences on the issue.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 54
RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand - 13/7/2012 9:18:58 AM   
elab49

Sorry if anyone noticed the gubbins above. Goodfella, your post wasn't edited - I thought I did something by mistake but the next two times I hit the post reply button the same thing happened. I think I've put everything back the way it should be thanks to Horribleives quoting your post, though. 

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 55
RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand - 13/7/2012 9:37:03 AM   
horribleives

quote:

I think you're understating it quite a bit though Jonson. I do wonder about the court case and I'm still unsure why it's happened - is it specifically the 'caught on camera' but? (For some reason this keeps reminding me of Hillsborough and wondering if nothing has changed - if you didn't see it on a TV camera then nothing happened).

The reason this went to trial (as opposed to the Suarez case which was dealt with by the FA) is because the incident was reported by an off-duty police officer, presumably watching on telly.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 56
RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand - 13/7/2012 9:46:29 AM   
elab49

Ta, Horribleives

I wonder if this is all bound up in how they're trying to define threats via the internet - where you are, who can make a complaint, etc. It's very odd stuff. 

quote:

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 57
RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand - 13/7/2012 10:31:16 AM   
clownfoot

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

quote:

This is the 'bad' racism, right?

Not the acceptable sort, like when Andy Murray becomes a 'Scottish c***' for not being David Beckham or being as good as we want him to be and having the temerity to have tabloid stories invented about him. Or when England are playing the dirty Krauts or surrender monkeys who, we are reliably informed, "don't like it up 'em".

Please for the love of God stop this "look at the English blatantly being racist against our poor Scottish tennis player" crap.
Just look through the international football threads to see pretty much the same and worse coming from the other side of our northern boarder and across the Irish sea.
The hypocrisy on that tennis thread was running at ridiculous levels.

None of it is right, but this holier-than-thou is just really getting tired now.

How have I been 'holier-than-thou'? I really need this explaining.

I read your post in the style of Chris Morris and got its sardonic bent....

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 58
RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand - 13/7/2012 10:36:24 AM   
erasheha1985

quote:

quote:

The orange forum was a long time ago, I don't remember spellings of usernames. I was never banned, just chose not to rejoin, chances are you wouldnt know me anyway, under my old username (whatever it was) point is, after all this time you still suffer from Tunbridge Wells syndrome. But, anyhow, this is more about the racist comments from one not very nice football player to another not very nice football player with a bad mother.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 59
RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand - 13/7/2012 10:41:22 AM   
elab49

Erasheha - it'll look better on your return to the forum if you'd stick to arguing the point in the post and avoiding personal comments on the poster please? 

quote:

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Terry Vs Ferdinand Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI