Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Army steps in to protect the Olympic games

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Army steps in to protect the Olympic games Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Army steps in to protect the Olympic games - 11/7/2012 8:39:54 PM   
Ghidorah

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18804547

This whole Olympic 2012 turning out to be a joke.
Post #: 1
RE: Army steps in to protect the Olympic games - 11/7/2012 9:00:52 PM   
Chief Wiggum

Yep apparantly 1 Rifles have just had their block leave cancelled. TA is on Full Alert to be called up, RAF Reserves have been called in.

G4S have fucked this up, can't help but think the Bridge incident at the jubilee celebrations had a part to play too.

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 2
RE: Army steps in to protect the Olympic games - 11/7/2012 9:07:20 PM   
sanchia

Once again G4 mess up as they have done a good few times in the past (although not on this scale). Another example that just because it is the cheapest bid does not make it the best.

Once question, are the army trained for such civilian security activities on this scale and are they up to it considering the massive ongoing cuts and the other various theatres they are active in at this time ?

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 3
RE: Army steps in to protect the Olympic games - 11/7/2012 9:10:50 PM   
elab49

One of the claims is that the numbers the contract required were only about 3000 before Xmas and now it's about 20K including reserves. I wonder if part of this is the govt - where did they think they were getting the balance before now? Could it, possibly, be they thought it would be the police - but cuts have made this impossible? So it could also be another Home Office screw-up. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 4
RE: Army steps in to protect the Olympic games - 11/7/2012 9:18:31 PM   
sanchia

In much the same way the estimate for the Olympics was initially 2.4 bn and now is somewhere above 24 bn?

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5
RE: Army steps in to protect the Olympic games - 11/7/2012 9:56:12 PM   
Ghidorah

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

One of the claims is that the numbers the contract required were only about 3000 before Xmas and now it's about 20K including reserves. I wonder if part of this is the govt - where did they think they were getting the balance before now? Could it, possibly, be they thought it would be the police - but cuts have made this impossible? So it could also be another Home Office screw-up.

The Met officers also being screwed over. All their leave is cancelled, there is no OVERTIME and they are doing shorter shift patterns. Normally officers do around five days a week but now they are doing six for the price of five.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6
RE: Army steps in to protect the Olympic games - 12/7/2012 8:07:30 PM   
Funkyrae

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

In much the same way the estimate for the Olympics was initially 2.4 bn and now is somewhere above 24 bn?

No, you misunderstand. The decimal point was a mistake. As soon as it was rubbed out everything was all ok. Nothing to see here folks, move along.

G4S. The same Group 4 that allegedly like to use potentially lethal force on detainees and asylum seekers. Oh and the same Group 4 that managed to allow nearly 40 prisoners to escape as well as having prisoners arriving late in court. Trustworthy lot, absolutely they should be given one of the biggest security contracts in the UK. No way they could screw it up, no way.

That's me that is!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 7
RE: Army steps in to protect the Olympic games - 12/7/2012 8:38:52 PM   
sanchia

they are dirt cheap so they keep getting contracts.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 8
RE: Army steps in to protect the Olympic games - 13/7/2012 12:31:06 AM   
Spaldron

I came very close to applying for a position at G4S, the application process is painfully long and VERY intrusive for an online application. A shitload of background detail, personal info and even bank account details are required before they even consider you. After an hour or so I started Googling the company and immediately started reading up on their less than savoury practices around the globe. So I gave up and deleted the application before I had a chance to send it on and I'm very glad I did.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 9
RE: Army steps in to protect the Olympic games - 13/7/2012 3:14:20 AM   
boaby

Tories. Ha.

Boris bumbling. That May female looking permanently as though she's recoiling from a dog fart. Seb Coe wishing he could still run fast. Trish and Gideon wondering what the fuss is about these common games: "You mean there's no wall? Good heavens! These plebs really are a strange bunch." Damian Green in a state of frantic calm reassuring Auntie that yes, yes, those pesky - I mean lovely - foreigners will all get in. Eventually. If they promise to leave again.

Still there's always Danny "Trainspotting" Boyle's green and pleasant land (sans fox hunt) to look forward to.

Just give the 20k soldiers being made redundant jobs for these Rocky Steady wannabes and the job's a good 'un.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 10
RE: Army steps in to protect the Olympic games - 16/7/2012 10:15:04 AM   
elab49

Calls for the CEO of G4S's head.

While I can understand that I'm not so sure about the calls for calm because they don't want such a major staff change going into the Olympics, Surely the point is that he is claiming he hasn't got a clue what's going on in his company, so what kind of loss is he? Why not temporarily put in charge whoever's been misleading people into thinking everything's OK - they seem pretty competent.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 11
RE: Army steps in to protect the Olympic games - 16/7/2012 5:16:57 PM   
sanchia

I understand now they are having to draft in police after more than half the expected G4 guards fail to turn up at a hotel where Olympians are staying.

quote:

Earlier on Monday, Greater Manchester Police Authority revealed the force had to deploy front-line officers to provide security at an Olympic team hotel in Salford - after only 17 of an expected 56 G4S staff turned up for work.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 12
RE: Army steps in to protect the Olympic games - 16/7/2012 5:25:07 PM   
clownfoot

It's just clicked that the security staff for the building I work in are employed by G4S. They're all retired Gurkha's and always seem to turn up for work, so I feel pretty safe for when the Olympics start...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 13
RE: Army steps in to protect the Olympic games - 16/7/2012 5:36:45 PM   
Ghidorah

At the moment G4S employed four thousand security guards for the Olympics. It's now coming to light at each venue only 40% to 85% of the employees are turning up to work. Security is fucked. Not only the army are stepping in but the police forces outside London are on standby to do aswell.

There is a possible scenerio of greater amount of G4S employees not turning up to work once the games begins. There is no doubt the handling of the security is shit and these employees know it. They are going to be hacked off by the pressure of all these visitors arriving, they will be hacked off with their colleagues not turning up and eventually it will cause more soldiers to fill in. They will feel alienated and not bother turning up the next day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sgDdPDLOTQ

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 14
RE: Army steps in to protect the Olympic games - 16/7/2012 6:06:09 PM   
matty_b

And, of course, any nutter fancying a go now has greater incentive to do so.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 15
RE: Army steps in to protect the Olympic games - 16/7/2012 6:56:51 PM   
Ghidorah

Ex policeman experience with G4S

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/12/g4s-olympic-security-recruitment-chaotic?INTCMP=SRCH

And about G4S not turning up for work.

http://www.itv.com/news/2012-07-13/six-in-ten-g4s-staff-not-turning-up-in-weymouth/

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 16
RE: Army steps in to protect the Olympic games - 16/7/2012 7:01:00 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Aren't G4S one of those security companies that are bidding to take over privatised police services? Another sacrifice on the altar of insane privatisations by the fucking Tories

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 17
RE: Army steps in to protect the Olympic games - 16/7/2012 10:49:39 PM   
boaby

Ace, they're putting thon eejit Hunt out to take the flak. Pity it's only Wark on Newsnight and not Paxman. That could've been a "Thcik Of It" moment.

Tory ineptitude. Love it.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 18
RE: Army steps in to protect the Olympic games - 16/7/2012 11:32:53 PM   
themightyhutch

The Daughter of the CEO of G4S was the year below me at school. True Story.

This whole thing is shambolic and I don't really get how they've messed this up so badly, but the military presence isn't that bad. Having been on the Olympic Park a few times, the military are much better and more efficient than those useless people working for G4S.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 19
RE: Army steps in to protect the Olympic games - 17/7/2012 3:02:22 PM   
elab49

quote:

And the BBC's Matt Prodger tells Wato he has seen an e-mail to the National Association of Retired Police Officers from someone described as a G4S business development manager saying "we don't need to recruit any additional staff for the Olympics: with the deployment of the military and extra police forces it's been deemed that any further recruitment is surplus to requirements". That - says Matt - suggests G4S has stopped recruiting its own staff.

Given the boss seemed to be making random uncosted financial commitments before the select committee they'll need to save every penny they can get!

quote:

(in reply to themightyhutch)
Post #: 20
RE: Army steps in to protect the Olympic games - 17/7/2012 8:19:49 PM   
Skiba

If the military were providing security for sporting events in other countries, I'm sure we'd be quite critical. But it's probably for the best. Maybe it was the plan all along...

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 21
RE: Army steps in to protect the Olympic games - 17/7/2012 8:33:03 PM   
elab49

Given the comments about military tours being extended with, amongst others, bomb disposal units seeing leave cancelled because troops are being diverted to handbag duty? Want to bet any deaths in Afghanistan will be laid at G4S's door? 

quote:

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 22
RE: Army steps in to protect the Olympic games - 17/7/2012 11:36:31 PM   
Ghidorah

I had been thinking about this and someone on Newsnight been backing some of my opinions.

G4S were given 284 million to hire ten thousands people and train them for the Olympics. However these employees put their applications in around Christmas and will only be employed 8 months later for around six weeks. Can anyone see a problem like many could get a full time job in that time or given up?

I honestly believe the Home Office and the Ministry of Defence are to blame. They had slashed police numbers to the point they on the verge of no longer carrying out their duties. It like seven thousands officers been lost in the past year and more to come. We have boarder agency staff being made redundent before the Olympics.......... We also have servicemen being made redundent. In the past Olympic security were dominated by their police force and their military. At the present numbers we haven't got the man power to secure the games and to keep the overall UK safe. There haven't been a private security firm dominating the Olympic games before and now we G4s employing many Jar heads when it comes to security.

Like I said G4S are being paid 284 million to supply 10,000 to act as secuirty for around six weeks. A member of the police federation did his cacluations and said on newsnight that money could pay for 15,000 police officers for a year. 15,000 yet G4S could barely secure five thousand and not all of them turning up.

No wonder Cameron putting Hunt in front of the news and not May.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 23
RE: Army steps in to protect the Olympic games - 20/7/2012 10:20:55 AM   
elab49

Did you know G4S's workforce is 625k - about 3 times as many as total active British armed forces personnel apparently.

And guess who much of our taxes have helped them grow as they coin it in from public sector contracts?

quote:

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 24
RE: Army steps in to protect the Olympic games - 20/7/2012 11:38:07 AM   
elab49

Do you think the Met Commissionner in the control room knew his staff were watching TV on the screens behind him? (Why else a non-news channel with what looked like a cop show on WITH THE SUBS UP. 

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Army steps in to protect the Olympic games Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI