Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Critics who you never agree with or dislike

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Critics who you never agree with or dislike Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Critics who you never agree with or dislike - 11/7/2012 7:08:50 PM   
giggity

Are there any critics who you never agree with or dislike because of a way they write or approach films?

Devin Faraci over at badassdigest,com I find to be a very good writer, one of the best i've read in fact, but I find that his personality overshadows his writing. He's a very cynical person, and 8 out of 10 of his articles usually contains some sort of negative outlook on the topic or a hateful remark, additionally he seems to have a lasting hate for certain for films before they come out, slating them every chance he gets when a new piece of marketing or news is released about that film.
I also find him to be slightly hypocritical at times with stating he only posts stuff on his site which he is interested in but then admitting he only published a story to get hits on the site. Or talking about how he doesn't like people to abuse each other on his site or troll but then he does the same. He seems to have a very short temper or childish approach to things and will never see another side to an argument besides his, I followed him on twitter for a while and some of the things he wrote like he wanted to curb stomp Steve Jobs because an apple product of a friend of his broke and lost some photos of his, or telling a 14 year old that drugs were fantastic, she should try them and that he hopes his kids take them I found to be pretty immature.

Also, the sites Collider.com and slashfilm.com I use a lot for film news but the writers there seem to have a touch of fanboy approach to them. Being easily impressed by some things in films.

Maybe I just have a problem with internet bloggers?

< Message edited by giggity -- 11/7/2012 7:17:14 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Critics who you never agree with or dislike - 11/7/2012 7:13:44 PM   
elab49

I skip the Observer film pages when they waste them on Jason Solomons, so not just online.

That said, there are very few critics I'd put a name to that I enjoy reading - I really noticed this because French is one of them. I wouldn't say I always agree with him though.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 11/7/2012 7:26:00 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 2
RE: Critics who you never agree with or dislike - 11/7/2012 7:22:50 PM   
TragicRomantic

Criticism is in the eye of the beholder,so it doesn't really bother me what they say.
It can range from critics who say every film is great to those who slag films off for the controversy.

Life,love and film-enjoy all like fine wine
Silence the doubters
Embrace the lovers
Ignore the haters

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3
RE: Critics who you never agree with or dislike - 11/7/2012 9:36:24 PM   
Cool Breeze

I agree with Mark Kermode 50/50 of the time.But even when i disagree with him i enjoy listening to his reviews.

Transformers 4 is coming so that means we have a huge rant about how Michael Bay is killing cinema to look forward to!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to TragicRomantic)
Post #: 4
RE: Critics who you never agree with or dislike - 11/7/2012 9:49:09 PM   
jcthefirst

I really used to dislike Kermode, but over the years he's grown on me.

I can't stand the guy in the Daily Mirror. Awful critic.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 5
RE: Critics who you never agree with or dislike - 11/7/2012 9:53:58 PM   
matty_b

Jonathan Ross I can't take seriously since he slagged off Shrek, but then took the money to be in Shrek 2.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 6
RE: Critics who you never agree with or dislike - 11/7/2012 10:22:19 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Jonathan Ross I can't take seriously since he slagged off Shrek, but then took the money to be in Shrek 2.

Some of his reviews towards the end of his tenure on Film 2000 and Something were just off the wall, although I can't recall any specific ones off-hand. That weirdly personal Clerks 2 review he did really put me off him as a film guy - as well as that time he accused Empire of being bought off by Marvel because they gave his wife's X-Men film 3 stars...

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 7
RE: Critics who you never agree with or dislike - 11/7/2012 10:22:37 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

I really used to dislike Kermode, but over the years he's grown on me.

Me too, though I have to admit the constant comparison of everything to Inception and the war on 3D became a bit much and I gave up listening to the shows/podcasts.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 8
RE: Critics who you never agree with or dislike - 11/7/2012 10:43:20 PM   
MonsterCat

I don't think there's a critic I dislike because of what he/she said about a particular film.

It's all too subjective for me to get annoyed about. Although I'm sure Drooch would disagree with me.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 9
RE: Critics who you never agree with or dislike - 11/7/2012 10:46:03 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: giggity
Also, the sites Collider.com and slashfilm.com I use a lot for film news but the writers there seem to have a touch of fanboy approach to them. Being easily impressed by some things in films.

I don't visit Collider, but Slash Film drive me insane sometimes. To be fair tho, they're not really film critics, and are essentially PR stooges for the big studios. There's just no consistency in this type of journalism, and I find it to ultimately be very cynical. Most sites in that vein tend to have a policy of throwing up as much stuff as possible (film posters, featurettes etc) and copy + pasting press releases in an attempt to chase hits.

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 10
RE: Critics who you never agree with or dislike - 11/7/2012 10:59:46 PM   
giggity

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

I don't visit Collider, but Slash Film drive me insane sometimes. To be fair tho, they're not really film critics, and are essentially PR stooges for the big studios. There's just no consistency in this type of journalism, and I find it to ultimately be very cynical. Most sites in that vein tend to have a policy of throwing up as much stuff as possible (film posters, featurettes etc) and copy + pasting press releases in an attempt to chase hits.

True. I realised a few weeks ago that the people on badass digest, slashfilm, collider, aintitcool etc.. are just essentially us posting on here, nerds behind a keyboard. The only difference is they get invited to set visits, do interviews etc.. and have a huge platform to air their views.
I remember a blog Mark Kermode did a few months ago about how there was a huge uproar on the internet over The Hobbit being shot in 48fps and the negative reaction towards it, re-enforcing the argument that they hadn't actually seen all of the film, only 10 minutes which wasn't finished. And I realised that's what film bloggers are all about, judging a film on the little bits of promotional material or leaked information that's released constantly, up until the film comes out.

< Message edited by giggity -- 11/7/2012 11:01:12 PM >

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 11
RE: Critics who you never agree with or dislike - 11/7/2012 11:20:40 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

I remember a blog Mark Kermode did a few months ago about how there was a huge uproar on the internet over The Hobbit being shot in 48fps and the negative reaction towards it, re-enforcing the argument that they hadn't actually seen all of the film, only 10 minutes which wasn't finished. And I realised that's what film bloggers are all about, judging a film on the little bits of promotional material or leaked information that's released constantly, up until the film comes out.

I actually think we're on the verge of a bit of a breakthrough with online film criticism. Eventually social media will replace the need for movie news/gossip sites, with more focussed criticism reigning. The whole thing has been leaning that way for some time, with more and more sites running less, or dropping altogether news and gossip style commentary on promotional material (the bread and butter of most gossip sites). More and more site editors are realising that you can put all of your attention to one or two articles a day and receive just as much of an audience as you would were you to run ten throwaway pieces promoting films that may very well turn out to be a load of rubbish. Plus, your ad-revenue actually goes up because you have a more attuned audience. Everyone wins.

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 12
RE: Critics who you never agree with or dislike - 11/7/2012 11:27:16 PM   
giggity

quote:

quote:

I actually think we're on the verge of a bit of a breakthrough with online film criticism. Eventually social media will replace the need for movie news/gossip sites, with more focussed criticism reigning. The whole thing has been leaning that way for some time, with more and more sites running less, or dropping altogether news and gossip style commentary on promotional material (the bread and butter of most gossip sites). More and more site editors are realising that you can put all of your attention to one or two articles a day and receive just as much of an audience as you would were you to run ten throwaway pieces promoting films that may very well turn out to be a load of rubbish. Plus, your ad-revenue actually goes up because you have a more attuned audience. Everyone wins.

Which sites do you read? You said you had read slashfilm but not Collider, have you ever read Badass Digest?

Post #: 13
RE: Critics who you never agree with or dislike - 12/7/2012 12:23:37 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

quote:

Which sites do you read? You said you had read slashfilm but not Collider, have you ever read Badass Digest?

I do occasionally head over to Badass Digest, but only if a tweet takes me there. I'm more familiar with Devin from his days at CHUD. I'm not a great fan of the guy, but at the same time I kind of respect the fact that he's doing what he does with a defined voice. In that respect he's a little like Harry Knowles I guess. I'd much rather that than some word-for-word PR-written rubbish.

A couple of my favourite blog-type sites include The Incredible Suit ( http://theincrediblesuit.blogspot.co.uk/ ) and Permanent Plastic Helmet ( http://permanentplastichelmet.com/ ), but I have a regular circle of sites that I bounce around every few days. Peter Bogdanovich's ingeniously titled BLOGDANOVICH is a current fave, and I check out David Bordwell's site blog at least once a week too, as a matter of education! (I also run my own site, a link to which can be found below).

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 12/7/2012 12:24:50 AM >

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 14
RE: Critics who you never agree with or dislike - 12/7/2012 1:27:52 AM   
Coyleone

From looking on Rotten Tomatoes a lot I've noticed that Robbie Collins or whatever his name is has mostly terrible opinions.

Kermode is probably mt favourite critic to be honest even though I find myself disagreeing with him a lot of times, I love the radio show, never miss it.

< Message edited by Coyleone -- 12/7/2012 1:28:41 AM >

Post #: 15
RE: Critics who you never agree with or dislike - 12/7/2012 2:03:19 AM   
Spaldron

Paul Ross, not just because he knows fuck all about film but also because he's a massive gimp.
Same with Danny Baker, how the fuck did he get that job?
Andrew Collins, once claimed Sex and the City would be the film of the year (2008, same year as The Dark Knight). Twat.
Half the Star Wars fanboys who write for AICN, keyboard twonks.
Claudia Winkleman, seriously how in fucks name did she get that gig?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 16
RE: Critics who you never agree with or dislike - 12/7/2012 2:13:21 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Paul Ross, not just because he knows fuck all about film but also because he's a massive gimp.
Andrew Collins, once claimed Sex and the City would be the film of the year (2008, same year as The Dark Knight). Twat.

I agree with pretty much all of this to be honest.

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 17
RE: Critics who you never agree with or dislike - 12/7/2012 2:20:44 AM   
Lazarus munkey

I don't disagree with her necessarily but Winkleman is far and away the worst reviewer I've seen on tv. Just an appalling journalist.

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 18
RE: Critics who you never agree with or dislike - 12/7/2012 9:59:07 AM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lazarus munkey

I don't disagree with her necessarily but Winkleman is far and away the worst reviewer I've seen on tv. Just an appalling journalist.

Seconded.

Kermode is just pure entertainment. As most have said before I completely disagree with him from time to ime but neverless love listening to him anyway.

Anyone else from Ireland will know of the curmudgeonly wonder that is Donald Clarke. Not a fan at all.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 19
RE: Critics who you never agree with or dislike - 12/7/2012 10:21:33 AM   
Rgirvan44

I suppose it depends on whether you think a critic who agrees with you is always a good thing. Devin for instance I think is pretty great example of what a critic should be - entertaining, thoughtful and even if you disagree with him, you are forced to you to look at a film through a different angle.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 20
RE: Critics who you never agree with or dislike - 12/7/2012 11:27:08 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

Is everyone who disagrees about The Dark Knight not being the best film of 2008 a "twat", or just people who placed films you really didn't like above it?

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 12/7/2012 11:28:14 AM >

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 21
RE: Critics who you never agree with or dislike - 12/7/2012 11:28:41 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44
I suppose it depends on whether you think a critic who agrees with you is always a good thing. Devin for instance I think is pretty great example of what a critic should be - entertaining, thoughtful and even if you disagree with him, you are forced to you to look at a film through a different angle.

Yeah, I agree with this. I actually don't really look for a straight opinion in a review, I'd much rather see the film discussed in an interesting manner, regardless of the ultimate thoughts on the quality.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 22
RE: Critics who you never agree with or dislike - 12/7/2012 11:34:10 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Jesus Christ.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 12/7/2012 11:35:49 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 23
RE: Critics who you never agree with or dislike - 12/7/2012 11:37:54 AM   
Bloke from Oz

Has to be Roger Ebert for me. The man is a big and pompous windbag; almost every "review" he has written concerning a film he doesn't like has been 90% of a complaint, and hardly fuck-all about the actual film itself. He would have been better off getting a different job a long time ago.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1342/jamesbondsia6.jpg

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 24
RE: Critics who you never agree with or dislike - 12/7/2012 11:41:49 AM   
Rgirvan44

Ebert is a great writer - and yes, his approach to criticism is varied, and sometimes you sit there wodnering if you watched the same film. But he is always entertaining and has been in the game so long that I don't hold it against him if he doesn't stick to a strict review struture.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Bloke from Oz)
Post #: 25
RE: Critics who you never agree with or dislike - 12/7/2012 11:45:35 AM   
gunstar

I often go to dvdtalk.com and find myself agreeing with the reviews a fair amount of the time. There is a team who review film / tv and they're often bang on the money, even with genre and seldom-seen stuff.

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 26
RE: Critics who you never agree with or dislike - 12/7/2012 1:16:47 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I've learned not to read reviews, the only persons opinion i'm interested in is my own. I've found that i disagree with most critics anyway, and can't put too much stock in what a complete stranger thinks of a movie. For example i havent actually read an Empire reviews in many years.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to gunstar)
Post #: 27
RE: Critics who you never agree with or dislike - 12/7/2012 1:31:03 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Jesus Christ.

I've not read any of his reviews.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 28
RE: Critics who you never agree with or dislike - 12/7/2012 5:53:57 PM   
Coyleone

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Jesus Christ.

I've not read any of his reviews.

Wasn't a fan of Last Temptation Of Christ iirc.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 29
RE: Critics who you never agree with or dislike - 12/7/2012 10:31:45 PM   
MonsterCat

He gave Transformers 3 two stars on the cinema release and gave it three for the DVD, the fucker.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Critics who you never agree with or dislike Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI