Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Jack Reacher

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> Jack Reacher Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Jack Reacher - 11/7/2012 12:28:32 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
cruise makes great movies - 11/7/2012 12:28:32 PM   
earnest

Dont care about toms brainwashed personal life,he hasnt killed anyone.
The guy makes great moves and dose alot his own stunts.Cant wait for this one.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: cruise makes great movies - 11/7/2012 12:45:57 PM   
rich

Looks amazingly mediocre. Fan rage over casting is fun though.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to earnest)
Post #: 3
Nothing wrong with Cruise movies - 18/7/2012 12:56:27 PM   
Lord Midas

Most of his film are ace. Why should anyone care about his personal life, or whether he's a Hubbardologist.

One thing though, I'd've liked him to have a deeper voice for this role. But as a shit kicking hardass I hink he suits the role nicely.

Post #: 4
RE: Nothing wrong with Cruise movies - 26/7/2012 6:38:48 PM   
filmfanatic123

I love the books and I think the casting is completely off kilter.

Why they've given Cruise the Reacher role is beyond me, it's made for Liam Neeson in my eyes.

Hell, even Tom Hardy would have been a good choice!

Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

(in reply to Lord Midas)
Post #: 5
Great books and will make a great movie but... - 1/8/2012 8:56:11 PM   
battler171

I love Tom Cruise but he is totally wrong for this role. Jack Reacher is described as Reacher is 6' 5" tall (1.96m) with a 50-inch chest, and weighing between 210 and 250 pounds (100–115 kg). He has ice-blue eyes and dirty blond hair.

Post #: 6
RE: Great books and will make a great movie but... - 31/8/2012 4:10:52 PM   
film man aidy

I didn't agree with Cruise's casting either, but will reserve judgement until viewing.
Am surprised that Hugh Jackman's name hasn't been thrown around more. He's got a much more appropriate physique, has good presence, and is a fine actor.. So Jackman for the reboot in three years or so....

(in reply to battler171)
Post #: 7
What on earth were you thinking - 1/9/2012 6:29:46 AM   
mtak1968

Who on earth thought Tom Cruise would make a good Jack Reacher? What a dolt. Have you not read the books. Let's face it for those who think Tom Cruise makes good movies totally your opinion. It DOES NOT mean he should be in the role of Jack Reacher. Strong, tall, rugged, well built, rough and ready - definitely not Tom Cruise. The Rock, Hugh Jackman even Steven Segal would have been better choices. Fan of the books. Won't be bothering with the movie purely based on who is playing Jack Reacher.

Post #: 8
- 16/9/2012 8:37:39 PM   
Flower

JUST finished reading my first Jack Reacher novel, 'Worth Dying For' couldn't put it down! Was quite excited to see there was a movie made, only surprised it didn't get picked up sooner. But gutted to see Cruise in the role - so so wrong. Physically, this is a joke surely? Yeah he's ok in most of his movies but I had exactly the same "What??" reaction when he was cast in 'Interview with a Vampire' (read all those books too) Hollywood is just a big fat cliche of itself, don't pay attention to a novel's details, just get the big names to fill the roles. I'll probably wait for it to hit Sky.

Post #: 9
Who on earth thought Tom Cruise would make a good Jack ... - 21/9/2012 1:28:52 PM   
danielthompson99

He did apparantly. And so did Lee Child, after considerable ammounts of dollars changed hands, and Tom bought the rights.
It's his baby now, to mess up as he sees fit.
Hey, X-Men had a 6ft Wolverine, "Jack" Reacher has a 5ft midget. All he needs is a bunch of 4ft bad guys, or some Hobbiton style cinema trickery and we are laughing.
Otherwise I believe we are going to be sold short.

Post #: 10
- 24/9/2012 7:43:34 PM   
BRBDG

The last person I would have thought to be cast as Jack Reacher would be Tom Cruise What a disappointment and a sellout! Hard core Reacher devoteees will not be among the viewers of this movie. Not only is Tom Cruise not physically intimidating, but he does not look like he can process a simple thought. Shame on you Lee Child!!

Post #: 11
Cruise as Reacher - AWFUL - 30/9/2012 5:07:47 PM   
suz32

I have read every one of Lee Child's books and this is one movie I will NOT see - Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher - are you kidding me? He's short, small, sissy looking and high voice and not at all like the Reacher in the book - how totally disappointing. Bruce Willis, Liam Neeson and a few others - Cruise is the LAST person I would have picked.

Post #: 12
HOW COULD YOU????? - 30/9/2012 5:28:19 PM   
samanthastevens

What in the world was Lee Child thinking when he casted Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher? It has to be $$$$ not character integrity. The ideal actor is Jim Caviezel! That's who I picture as Jack Reacher as I read Mr Childs fantastic books. I will continue to read his series but as far as the movie is concerned, I will just stay home and read.

Post #: 13
RE: HOW COULD YOU????? - 1/10/2012 2:27:14 PM   
Bad Ash

The film looks shit anyway - regardless of whether Cruise is the star or not! Seen it all before! If anything, Cruise might just make it watchable. Might........

I know where the bastard sleeps!

(in reply to samanthastevens)
Post #: 14
- 8/10/2012 1:36:47 AM   
HessischFJ

Reacher is 6 foot 5. Cruise is 5 fot 6. Cruise trying to pull off Reachers attitude and behaviour will come across as someone with little man syndrome. He doesnt have the stature to pull it off. I dont truly dislike Cruise as an actor but he is simply not the person to fill the shoes. I recently just saw a show with jim caviezel who is 6 foot 2 and who while is not quite as large as reacher I think would look better than cruise as well as being able to bring off his personality. I think the name of the programme was person of interest. I think putting graham norton in as reacher
would have worked out better than cruise. Now I guess there will be 2 hobbit movies coming out now. I have read every book and while I would have loved to have seen a reacher movie I will not be seeing this because in the end it is not in spirit a reacher film.

Post #: 15
- 8/10/2012 2:00:57 AM   
HessischFJ

Reacher is 6 foot 5. Cruise is 5 fot 6. Cruise trying to pull off Reachers attitude and behaviour will come across as someone with little man syndrome. He doesnt have the stature to pull it off. I dont truly dislike Cruise as an actor but he is simply not the person to fill the shoes. I recently just saw a show with jim caviezel who is 6 foot 2 and who while is not quite as large as reacher I think would look better than cruise as well as being able to bring off his personality. I think the name of the programme was person of interest. I think putting graham norton in as reacher
would have worked out better than cruise. Now I guess there will be 2 hobbit movies coming out now. I have read every book and while I would have loved to have seen a reacher movie I will not be seeing this because in the end it is not in spirit a reacher film.

Post #: 16
RE: - 18/10/2012 9:55:43 AM   
Timon

Come on people. In an ideal world Ray Stevenson would have been cast as Jack Reacher! However there is a reason we're not movie executives as that film would have made no money.

Lee Child has stated that he thinks the Cruiser has done a great job and who am I to argue with the man? Cry and beat your chests about how he's sold out, but at the end of the day, there's no actor that looks like how JAck Reacher is described AND has enough box office clout to make it a hit.

Personally, as someone who's read about 2/3 of the books, I think it looks great fun.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to HessischFJ)
Post #: 17
RE: RE: - 18/10/2012 12:57:14 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Come on people. In an ideal world Ray Stevenson would have been cast as Jack Reacher! However there is a reason we're not movie executives as that film would have made no money.

Lee Child has stated that he thinks the Cruiser has done a great job and who am I to argue with the man? Cry and beat your chests about how he's sold out, but at the end of the day, there's no actor that looks like how JAck Reacher is described AND has enough box office clout to make it a hit.

Personally, as someone who's read about 2/3 of the books, I think it looks great fun.

Well said!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxAKFlpdcfc

I haven't read the books at all but it always amuses me how angry people can get about these little things. Craig is blonde, Cruise is short, etc

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 18
RE: RE: - 18/10/2012 1:54:10 PM   
jobloffski

Stevenson was cast as The Punisher, but the film is fucking gash, plus a studiously slavish theft of the cinematography and Lighting of TDK. Good casting, bad film. He's given much more space to exude an air of 'dangerous' in the new series of Dexter than in the rather Reacher-like Punisher, so bottom line is, actor almost becomes irrelevant if the material isn't up to it. What remains to be seen is how the content of Jack Reacher plays out onscreen. Whatever people think of Cruise, it;s not as if he doesn't really go for it to act against his basic type sometimes.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 19
RE: RE: - 18/10/2012 2:57:08 PM   
Timon

Punisher: War Zone is the 21st century's Commando.

I stand by that.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 20
RE: RE: - 18/10/2012 4:01:53 PM   
jobloffski

Yes. It has no underpants. It is commando. That's why I can see it's balls

Opinion v opinion, the war that would wage itself forever, if we let it

Considers starting a line in adding online post snippets to posters as 'review quotes'...

Punisher: War Zone: "...fucking gash..."
"...21st Century Commando..."
"...made we want to hold a funeral service for the art of cinema that has just died before my very eyes..."
"...now I know there truly is a God...of Kickass Films!!!"

Note: second two quotes made up for effect...Caveat, I love plenty of stuff that would make other people say things like, if I want to see insipid dogshit, I'll feed my dog curry and follow him around

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 18/10/2012 4:10:33 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 21
RE: RE: - 19/10/2012 8:24:53 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Cruise is such a hulking badass. Oh wait

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 22
RE: RE: - 19/10/2012 1:07:25 PM   
The Hooded Man

The not remotely physically imposing and not that tall Michael Keaton was cast as the physically imposing and v tall Batman and that didn't work out too badly did it? I've read the Reacher books and I am glad they've hired a quality actor for the role than a wooden muscleman a la Vin Diesel. Would he be my first choice, not at all, but I'll reserve judgement until seeing the film.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 23
RE: Jack Reacher - 19/10/2012 1:13:29 PM   
Timon

I'm trying to gauge where Tom Cruise/Jack Reacher goes on the Outraged Casting Scale...

Daniel Craig is James Bond

Michael Keaton is Batman

Tom Cruise is Jack Reacher

Hugh "an Australian stage singer!?" Jackman is Wolverine.

Bottom

Post #: 24
RE: Jack Reacher - 19/10/2012 4:31:16 PM   
musht

quote:

I'm trying to gauge where Tom Cruise/Jack Reacher goes on the Outraged Casting Scale...

Michael Keaton is Batman

Bottom

I was too young at the time, was there an outrage when a woman was cast as M?

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 25
RE: Jack Reacher - 19/10/2012 6:35:08 PM   
Timon

Not really, because at the time a woman was actually head of the security services - Stella Rimington.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 26
RE: Jack Reacher - 19/10/2012 11:51:41 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

quote:

Michael Keaton is Batman

Bottom

I was too young at the time, was there an outrage when a woman was cast as M?

It wasn't the fact that she was a woman but rather the sour, bitter, fun-sucking vampire Judi Dench that caused peopel to groan.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 27
RE: Jack Reacher - 20/10/2012 10:24:45 AM   
Vadersville

Heath Ledger is The Joker. I remember that getting stupid amounts of outrage.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 28
Hemsworth for Reacher, Cruise for Parker - 9/11/2012 1:03:31 PM   
paradigm69

Meh - they did get it wrong. Chris Hemsworth is flavour of the month and the right height and build for Reacher. Tom Cruise could have brought Charlie Parker (form the excellent novels by John Connolly) to the big screen, he fits better for that character.

Post #: 29
RE: Hemsworth for Reacher, Cruise for Parker - 27/11/2012 10:32:07 PM   
film man aidy

Empire's review is in the latest issue and it all sounds pretty good. A definate step up from MI4. Will be seeking this out over Xmas.

(in reply to paradigm69)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> Jack Reacher Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI