Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades - 11/7/2012 12:05:19 PM   
jackcarter

the other night watched Running Man for first time in years and id always thought at the end Killians bodyguard says 'i got the scores from steroids' (meaning he was an ex boxer, athlete or something) but i had the subtitles on and he actually says 'ive got to score some steroids' (which i actually dont like so much as my previous interpretation)

anyway im sure theres been a few other lines in other movies over the years that ive misheard or misunderstood and then found out the correct line or correct meaning but cant remember off hand

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 11/7/2012 12:14:32 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for de... - 11/7/2012 12:06:37 PM   
elab49

Animal apparently doesn't say 'acting nonchalant'. This was devastating 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 2
RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for de... - 11/7/2012 12:21:50 PM   
st3veebee

I have a few like this, and the sad thing is that I usually prefer my own made up versions!

-I was sure Ellis says "Hans...Bubby..Baby?? I'm your white knight!" in Die Hard for years.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3
RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for de... - 11/7/2012 1:31:12 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4
RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for de... - 11/7/2012 1:34:58 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

the other night watched Running Man for first time in years and id always thought at the end Killians bodyguard says 'i got the scores from steroids' (meaning he was an ex boxer, athlete or something) but i had the subtitles on and he actually says 'ive got to score some steroids' (which i actually dont like so much as my previous interpretation)

That was a callback, though. The guard was basically saying 'fuck you' to Killian due to an insult Killian aimed at him earlier regarding steroids. He isn't actually leaving to get steroids

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 5
RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for de... - 11/7/2012 1:39:47 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

I'm still amazed at how many people misheard that. I've seen the film well over 30 times by now (no exaggeration, my daughter loves it) and I still can't see it.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 6
RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for de... - 11/7/2012 1:56:45 PM   
horribleives

When I was a bairn I always thought Quint said something about 'colanders' and 'bottles' in the Indianapolis speech. Which would make no sense whatsoever.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 11/7/2012 1:58:04 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 7
RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for de... - 11/7/2012 1:57:47 PM   
jackcarter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

That was a callback, though. The guard was basically saying 'fuck you' to Killian due to an insult Killian aimed at him earlier regarding steroids. He isn't actually leaving to get steroids

well yeah it works for both

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 8
RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for de... - 11/7/2012 2:00:10 PM   
Shifty Bench

Well, no, 'I got the scores from steroids' isn't really a proper sentence that relates to the situation presented in the film.......

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 9
RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for de... - 11/7/2012 2:36:30 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

Well, no, 'I got the scores from steroids' isn't really a proper sentence that relates to the situation presented in the film.......

Indeed. He's referring to the fact that Killian asked him if steroids had made him deaf earlier on in the film so it only really works one way.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Post #: 10
RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for de... - 11/7/2012 2:37:59 PM   
Shifty Bench

That's right, I had forgotten the specifics but I knew an insult regarding steroids was involved

Post #: 11
RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for de... - 11/7/2012 3:09:37 PM   
jackcarter

originally i thought it worked as a 'fuck you' to Killian in that Killian insulted him about steroids before so he was saying 'i got the scores from steroids'...(i.e. the scores you thought i got from being a top wrestler or whatever in my previous career before being a bodyguard were from steroid use so fuck you for insulting me earlier and im out of here)

basically i was reading too much into it from mishearing the line when it was a more simple throwaway thing

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 11/7/2012 3:13:16 PM >

Post #: 12
RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for de... - 11/7/2012 3:23:12 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

I'm still amazed at how many people misheard that. I've seen the film well over 30 times by now (no exaggeration, my daughter loves it) and I still can't see it.

'cos your head is telling you you're trying to hear something you think isn't there.

If we borrowed you for a short while - exposed you to standard memory wipe procedures - and then let you rewatch, it'd be an entirely different story. Bet you.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 13
RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for de... - 11/7/2012 3:26:40 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

'cos your head is telling you you're trying to hear something you think isn't there.

If we borrowed you for a short while - exposed you to standard memory wipe procedures - and then let you rewatch, it'd be an entirely different story. Bet you.

But I heard it properly the first time I watched it so I'm betting I'd hear it properly again the first time I watched it 

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 14
RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for de... - 11/7/2012 3:28:00 PM   
The Big Guy

In Watership Down does the bird actually say "piss off", or is that a mishearing? I would like to think it actually says "piss off".

Post #: 15
RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for de... - 11/7/2012 3:31:23 PM   
Shifty Bench

Yeah, he says 'Piss off'

(in reply to The Big Guy)
Post #: 16
RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for de... - 11/7/2012 3:33:48 PM   
Charles B. Potatoes

In Ghostbusters I always thought Egon told Janine "The printer's dead" when she's talking to him about books. As if the joke was that he wasn't listening to a word she was saying to him while he's checking the computer

I only found out a few months ago the line is "Print is dead"!!!

< Message edited by Charles B. Potatoes -- 11/7/2012 3:36:01 PM >

If you ask me Skywalker was bloody lucky to turn off his guidance system.

Post #: 17
RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for de... - 11/7/2012 3:35:10 PM   
The Big Guy

quote:

Yeah, he says 'Piss off'

That is kind of brilliant.

Post #: 18
RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for de... - 11/7/2012 3:52:21 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charles B. Potatoes

In Ghostbusters I always thought Egon told Janine "The printer's dead" when she's talking to him about books. As if the joke was that he wasn't listening to a word she was saying to him while he's checking the computer

I only found out a few months ago the line is "Print is dead"!!!

I always thought he said "Prince is dead" meaning the singer, always expected Prince to show up as a ghost later in the film.

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

When I was a bairn I always thought Quint said something about 'colanders' and 'bottles' in the Indianapolis speech. Which would make no sense whatsoever.

In the same film I always think the Mayor says "You yell Barracuda, you're racist huh, what?" He obviously doesn't say that does he?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Charles B. Potatoes)
Post #: 19
RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for de... - 11/7/2012 3:58:31 PM   
Hood_Man

I wish I could find a clip, but it's the moment in Muppet Christmas Carol when Scrooge's nephew Fred is leaving Scrooge's office, and he turns around and I assume invites Scrooge to Christmas lunch, but whenever he says it it's like:

(in reply to The Big Guy)
Post #: 20
RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for de... - 11/7/2012 5:00:34 PM   
akivo

In Aliens when the marines come out of the cryotubes I always thought when Vasquez said "Hey, mira, who's Snow White" she was addressing her fellow marine by name, when in fact "mira" means "look" in Spanish!!!

Also, for years I thought "fire in the hole" was "fire in the hall".

Thank gawd for DVD subtitles.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 21
RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for de... - 11/7/2012 5:15:31 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

In the same film I always think the Mayor says "You yell Barracuda, you're racist huh, what?" He obviously doesn't say that does he?

I think it's "You yell 'barracuda', everyone says 'huh, what?' "

There's a bit near the beginning of Star Wars just after Luke storms off in a huff after talking to his uncle where to this day I still think he says something about 'pigs and tanks'.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 22
RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for de... - 11/7/2012 6:25:16 PM   
rich

That line in Predator "the demon who makes trophies of men", could never understand what she was saying... makes what now? Torfus? Strawfuss of men?

Then again I knew someone that thought when they find Hopper's team and think it could have been guerillas who did it, that they were talking about killer apes.

< Message edited by rich -- 11/7/2012 6:28:16 PM >

Meanwhile...

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 23
RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for de... - 11/7/2012 6:31:42 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich
Then again I knew someone that thought when they find Hopper's team and think it could have been guerillas who did it, that they were talking about killer apes.

As did I, when I was a dumb kid

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 24
RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for de... - 11/7/2012 6:48:24 PM   
homersimpson_esq

In Back to the Future Part II, when old Jennifer meets young Jennifer, and the space-time continuum does not unravel, my brother and I could never, EVER tell what they screamed at each other. Sort of "I'm auhfhasjhdshj", or some such.

Anyway, it was only a few years ago that someone - I forget who - pointed out that one is screaming "I'm old!" and the other is screaming "I'm young!". Neither of us could hear it, though.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 25
RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for de... - 11/7/2012 11:51:05 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

Snap!

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 26
RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for de... - 12/7/2012 12:03:24 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

quote:

Snap!

When I first saw Predator, I didn't now about military terms or whatever. I didn't know what the C.I.A. was back then either but I didn't care, Arnie was fighting an alien!

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 12/7/2012 12:04:15 AM >

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 27
RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for de... - 12/7/2012 12:08:31 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Just recently I've misunderstood the TDKR Blake/Gorden clip.
I thought blake said "its about that night,this night 8 years ago the night dad died"

Post #: 28
RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for de... - 12/7/2012 12:12:14 AM   
kumar

All of No Country for Old Men.... (most)

When i saw LOTR TT the first time and every time since then I can always hear, at the moment Legolas shoots the ropes holding one of the tall ladders up at Helms Deep, two orcs shout back immediately "motherfuckaa.....fuck you!!"

Clearly it isnt that what is said, but its what my head matches to the sound they make before they go squealing like pigs to their death!

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

Post #: 29
RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for de... - 12/7/2012 2:24:28 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

I wish I could find a clip, but it's the moment in Muppet Christmas Carol when Scrooge's nephew Fred is leaving Scrooge's office, and he turns around and I assume invites Scrooge to Christmas lunch, but whenever he says it it's like:

I getcha.

Art

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI