Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Star Trek: Insurrection (1998)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Star Trek: Insurrection (1998) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Star Trek: Insurrection (1998) - 9/7/2012 4:42:34 PM   
Phubbs

The next generation crew steps up to the plate with a third film but does it knock one out of the park?. Well not to beat around the bush no it doesn't, its a full strike if you ask me.

I'm not gonna sugar coat it, gotta be cold here. For me this was easily the weakest Trek film so far, even worse than 'Star Trek V'. I know I have used the term 'outstretched TV episode' a few times in previous reviews with Star Trek but this one term really sums up this film to a tee.

Apart from the quite dreadful grey scale shade tone that accompanies every scene on board the Enterprise which somehow now seems more intrusive than in the previous two films, the plot is utterly non-engaging or even remotely interesting. A planet which harbours immortal regeneration powers that Starfleet and the alien race 'Son'a' wish to keep for themselves whilst at the same time evicting the local hippie population.
Say what now?? yes that's right, its basically all about evicting some perfect happy go lucky boring blonde haired blue eyed farm folk off their planet...and that's it. I'm not even sure if there were any bad guys in this! I suppose they were naughty, not really much of a threat though, it was just a few groups fighting amongst themselves really, nothing more.

The whole film is so so utterly pointless and dull for virtually the entire run time! It only kicks into action for a small segment near the finale and even that was very mediocre stuff. Everything looks exactly as it does on the TV show, there is nothing that would make you think this is a big budget movie. The effects are no better! you would think they might be getting better but no, this film actually goes a step backwards.

There is just something about the next gen design, even though these are movies they just can't seem to shake the look and feel of the TV series. The classic crew movies didn't always look tremendous but they were always much better looking than the original show, they always had real silver screen moments. I'm afraid to say this entry has none what so ever.

It seems as though everything is now fully cgi here, I'm not a fan of computer generated effects and I think this is a good example why. The only thing that looks good and realistic in this film are the space vista's, nebulae, planets etc...which is exactly what cgi is good at. Starships can be done well but here they are no better than their TV counterparts, satisfactory at best. There are still the age old issues of dodgy bluescreen going on but now they also have the added downside of completely fake cgi sequences on top.

So apart from the dreadful plot and god awful cgi are there any plus points? I guess F. Murray Abraham does add a sprinkle of class onto the proceedings, its just a shame he does completely nothing of interest for the whole film. The alien race he portrays (Son'a) are such a generic concept with little to no imagination in design, their faces are simply plain grey just like all the uniforms of the Enterprise cre...zzzzz.

So the film ticks along with tonnes of dialog including so much space jargon I felt completely bewildered and detached. I'm sure this one film has more Trek technical mumbo jumbo speeches than any other, by the end of the film I had actually lost how or what they were all suppose to be doing.

Add to this some really vomit inducing romance with 'Picard', really hokey sets, really fake plastic looking props, hokey fights and the very annoying practically perfect farm civilisation in their typically 'I'm a goodie' beige loose fit garments. Yeah I know its a Star Trek film and you come to expect this kinda stuff but by this point I think certain aspects of this really should be better.
The classic Trek crew were loved for their quirky comedic like adventures and Shatner's fluffy fist fights. The next generation crew just can't pull that off, they are too serious and too dull basically haha. For me they can't get away with the charming nonsense that the classic crew got away with.

This film lacks punch and energy, its a complete non entity and in my opinion will only please Trekkies. For fans it basically has all you need as its pretty much a very long TV episode so you can't go wrong. For neutral non-fan folk it will be a slow slog through some heavy dialog that will probably leave you dizzy and not much of a reward at the end.
Post #: 1
RE: Star Trek: Insurrection (1998) - 9/7/2012 4:50:52 PM   
directorscut

I like it. I like that it's a STAR TREK film that is actually about exploring a new world, new life and a new civilisation, and isn't just an action film in STAR TREK clothes.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 2
RE: Star Trek: Insurrection (1998) - 9/7/2012 5:38:58 PM   
Spaldron

Have to agree with Phubbs on this, of all the Trek's this is the most like an extended episode. I blame Brannon Braga.

EDIT: However I disagree about it being the worst of all the Trek films, I think its better than TFF

< Message edited by Spaldron -- 9/7/2012 5:40:05 PM >

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 3
RE: Star Trek: Insurrection (1998) - 9/7/2012 7:16:42 PM   
rich

It's awful

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 4
RE: Star Trek: Insurrection (1998) - 9/7/2012 8:16:01 PM   
jackcarter

James Camerons stole the plot from this film in revenge for First Contact stealing the plot from Aliens

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 5
RE: Star Trek: Insurrection (1998) - 9/7/2012 8:48:02 PM   
Cool Breeze

I actually liked this one a lot.It was refreshing for the next gen crew to actually be involved in a plot that didnt involve time travel for once ( Brannon Braga didnt write this one thats why ).

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 6
RE: Star Trek: Insurrection (1998) - 10/7/2012 5:38:36 AM   
Lazarus munkey

I like this one, too. I think TFF remains the only 'bad' Star Trek movie and the only one I'll probable never watch again.

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 7
RE: Star Trek: Insurrection (1998) - 25/7/2012 10:59:04 AM   
jimzhang

Anyone know the authentication of the cosplaysky star trek flight suit? Their website says that it is "Made according to 501st requirements." Does anyone own one of these?

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 8
RE: Star Trek: Insurrection (1998) - 29/7/2012 12:07:14 AM   
moviebuff73

bollocks! this is one of the best next gen movies. insurrection is more like the tv series, a simple story about the enterprise crew. a fitting conclusion to the series.

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 9
RE: Star Trek: Insurrection (1998) - 29/7/2012 7:49:15 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: moviebuff73

bollocks! this is one of the best next gen movies. insurrection is more like the tv series, a simple story about the enterprise crew. a fitting conclusion to the series.

It wasn't the last film though.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to moviebuff73)
Post #: 10
RE: Star Trek: Insurrection (1998) - 30/7/2012 10:12:49 AM   
Rgirvan44

No,no,no,no.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 11
RE: Star Trek: Insurrection (1998) - 30/7/2012 6:45:43 PM   
rich

It is like one of the series episodes.

One of the crap one you always skip.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 12
RE: Star Trek: Insurrection (1998) - 30/7/2012 9:05:04 PM   
homersimpson_esq

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=310862

Please search for existing film review threads before starting your own, phubbs.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Star Trek: Insurrection (1998) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI