Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Star Trek: First Contact (1996)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Star Trek: First Contact (1996) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Star Trek: First Contact (1996) - 8/7/2012 4:42:07 PM   
Phubbs

Second film (or sequel?) for the next generation crew and this time there is no hint of the classic crew what so ever, its all new now baby.

So this next Trek rumble is a lot more straight forward plot wise and probably has the most action seen for awhile. Quite simply the 'Borg' are on the rampage and out to assimilate pretty much everyone they can, namely all of Starfleet. This goes a little pair shaped for them so they jump through time to assimilate the entire Earth...the naughty rascals. Is time travel a regular function for everyone in the Trek universe? handy if so.

I liked this film for the simplicity of everything and the fact you get some basic action mixed with some genuine tension along with the insecurity of not knowing what may happen, seeing as its the Borg. Bottom line there are plenty of deaths or assimilation's (close enough), a decent baddie, some good back story to Earth's future and plenty of phaser action.
Its not exactly a top notch sci-fi action flick lets be honest here, this is no 'Die Hard in space'. Visually it still all appears like the TV show only on a slightly grander scale, everything looks a bit plastic amongst the obvious sets, still has the 'TV look'.

Effects again are more cgi based than models unfortunately. The space battle against the big Borg cube ship thing at the start actually looks like a videogame sequence, obvious cgi without weight or depth. I know this is still only 96 but geez you'd think they could do better, compare this to Star Wars!. The deadly Borg look quite decent with some good facial makeup but their cyborg body armour, weapons and general body attachments do look pretty rubbery and plastic.

I really don't know who decided to put silly little flashing lights all over the shop, it just makes everything look so childish and fake. 'Data' again suffers with this indignity, when his android under layers are revealed it just appears to be bare grey plastic with stupid flashing fairy lights all over, so very crap looking.

As for the bad guys I do like them, space zombies if you will, lets face it that's what they are really. Part robotic and part organic space zombies from the planet Romero. I do like the Borg as they do actually come across as creepy plus they manage to add real tension and dread to a Star Trek film. Can't really over look the fact they are a mixture of various ideas from various other sci-fi/horror films all pieced together ('Hellraiser' springs to mind). Plus the fact that they transform whole areas into cold dead robotic hives that visually appear the same as the Borg themselves kinda copies ideas used in 'Aliens' but hey ho.

Apart from that the Borg are quite a cool creation and do actually add a genuine threat to the Star Trek universe. Yet at the same time they kinda don't fit in the Trek universe, they're almost too cold, calculated and merciless for the family friendly franchise. Not sure I ever really liked the design of their ship (I guess its a ship), why is it merely a large cube? what's the deal with that? On a final note why are they called 'Borg'? it does sound Swedish hehe.

The 'Borg' queen is a nice touch to the faceless enemy that does come across as an interesting character, not just a cyborg on auto pilot. She also has some really good prosthetic makeup on the face and chest regions, looks that bit more realistic than the other drones.

A definite improvement over the last rather dull film, a basic story which is more savage and quite dark in places, although not too extreme of course. I did notice this is another film where actually having some knowledge of a previous TV episode/s is slightly required. They got away with it for 'Star Trek II' and I believe they got away with it for this film also, but seeing that particular episode would appear to help when watching this film.
Post #: 1
RE: Star Trek: First Contact (1996) - 9/7/2012 12:17:36 AM   
Spaldron

Have you ever watched an episode of TNG as your last two reviews describe the characters as new when in fact they've been around for years? I also have to seriously disagree with the last two on account that you describe Data as boring, he's not.

You should consider re-posting these reviews in the Star Trek thread as you'll get more feedback there.

< Message edited by Spaldron -- 9/7/2012 3:26:36 PM >

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 2
RE: Star Trek: First Contact (1996) - 9/7/2012 4:44:13 AM   
Phubbs

These are simply reviews, not meant for in depth Trekkie banter I don't think they need to be in a specific thread purely for Star Trek.

No I have never seen any TNG episodes as I really dislike all crews after the classic original crew. Yes I realise they have been around for years but I'm looking at this from a neutral perspective and from the eyes of non Trek fans with little to no knowledge of the Trek universe, newbies to the franchise.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 3
RE: Star Trek: First Contact (1996) - 9/7/2012 8:28:39 AM   
NCC1701A

2nd best of the series and it has an awesome score by Jerry Goldsmith.  5/5.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 4
RE: Star Trek: First Contact (1996) - 9/7/2012 10:32:15 AM   
jackcarter

Ive been reading Phubbs' Trek reviews the past few days and its interesting to see a non Trek fans opinions on the movies. keep them up

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 5
RE: Star Trek: First Contact (1996) - 9/7/2012 3:29:45 PM   
Spaldron

Also I feel I should be a pedant and point out ...

quote:

Effects again are more cgi based than models unfortunately. The space battle against the big Borg cube ship thing at the start actually looks like a videogame sequence, obvious cgi without weight or depth. I know this is still only 96 but geez you'd think they could do better, compare this to Star Wars!. The deadly Borg look quite decent with some good facial makeup but their cyborg body armour, weapons and general body attachments do look pretty rubbery and plastic.

....that actually the majority of the effect in FC were traditional model based work by ILM and not all CGI as you state. It wasn't until Insurrection that they moved to mostly CGI ships.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 6
RE: Star Trek: First Contact (1996) - 9/7/2012 4:13:13 PM   
Rgirvan44

The crew is pretty boring. Might have little quirks of their own, but come together to form a bland group of explorers.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 7
RE: Star Trek: First Contact (1996) - 9/7/2012 4:31:08 PM   
Phubbs

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

Ive been reading Phubbs' Trek reviews the past few days and its interesting to see a non Trek fans opinions on the movies. keep them up

Thanks I have reviewed every Trek film so far so have a look for the others if you want. Only 'Nemesis' to go.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 8
RE: Star Trek: First Contact (1996) - 9/7/2012 7:19:32 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

....that actually the majority of the effect in FC were traditional model based work by ILM and not all CGI as you state. It wasn't until Insurrection that they moved to mostly CGI ships.

I thought the effects in First Contact were pretty well done to be fair, the space battle, the space ...walking, the money shot with the Queen attaching to her body etc.

The movie itself is entertaining and I have watched it many times.... but it doesn't have a lot of logic in the writing, and Picard's meltdown about the Borg is fun to watch but doesn't fit the character.

Weekend write-ups

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Star Trek: First Contact (1996) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI