Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: TV edits of classic lines

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: TV edits of classic lines Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 11/7/2012 12:45:08 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

If only you can get hold of the ITV cut that was shown on a Sunday that cuts all the blasphemy

I'm sure that's the version I had on tape all those years ago, and DC the tv cut only showed the prison guard then it cut to outside the jail. I never saw the hanging scene at all until the dvd.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 61
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 11/7/2012 7:46:54 AM   
great_badir

quote:

Do you still have that recording because if you do, that will make me believe it a bit more.

No, not any more, but it only went recently (like in the last few years recently) when we got rid of our video recorder and all our tapes (what we were using as our film room is now our daughter's bedroom). When I found it, whilst I didn't sit down and watch the whole thing, it was definitely that heavily edited version and it definitely finished for News At 10. Further, Sandy Gall left News At 10 at the beginning of the 90s, which dates the recording correctly to that infamous event.

quote:

Channel 4 still cut the word from stand up shows. Well, they did a couple of years ago when they showed Lee Mack live, they beeped the word out. I noticed it in a few other shows too.

As they do from some regular TV shows as well (8 Out of 10 Cats usually, but not always, has "fuck" bleeped), but TV shows and standup work differently from film broadcasts - I think it's down to the producers of the shows more than channel 4 themselves.

quote:

Don't the BBC show every film uncut after 9pm now? Pretty sure, they do. About ten years ago, they showed Seven cut at 9pm on a Sunday but since then they've been pretty god as far as I know.

Major (A and B list) and new films yeah, but there are loads of also-ran/C list films (that usually get shown very late, like to use up schedule time) that are still in a heavily edited state - whilst it's a bag of shit, they showed Vault of Horror (which rarely gets shown on TV) a year or two ago and that was massively cut, even though it's a ropey low budget early 70s Amicus flick and, these days, could probably get away with being shown just before the watershed fully uncut. But just think how much it would cost the Beeb to get that in an uncut state and then think are they really gonna be bothered with that type of film when only about ten people are gonna watch it (one of them being Kim Newman)? The answer is, of course, no. And that's just one of many examples.

quote:

It was uncut on ITV2 last Christmas at 9pm, I watched it just to make sure (and because I wanted to see it again)

I watched that too (I do every year), but that was the uncut UK version, NOT the fully uncut US version with the full "Danny Fuckin' Kaye" rant. Over here it's a PG and, obviously, no fucks or certain other subject matters allowed in a PG. In the States it's a PG-13 - one "fuck" and certain subject matter allowed (actually, a regular PG can also get away with a "fuck" in the States - William Friedkin's Sorcerer is a prime example). Why they don't re-submit it uncut for a 12 is beyond me, considering the Vacation box set is a 15 overall.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 62
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 11/7/2012 1:26:04 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir
No, not any more, but it only went recently (like in the last few years recently) when we got rid of our video recorder and all our tapes (what we were using as our film room is now our daughter's bedroom). When I found it, whilst I didn't sit down and watch the whole thing, it was definitely that heavily edited version and it definitely finished for News At 10. Further, Sandy Gall left News At 10 at the beginning of the 90s, which dates the recording correctly to that infamous event.

That's a shame, not for proof just because it would be awesome to watch again (I still have my VCR)

quote:

As they do from some regular TV shows as well (8 Out of 10 Cats usually, but not always, has "fuck" bleeped), but TV shows and standup work differently from film broadcasts - I think it's down to the producers of the shows more than channel 4 themselves.

Yeah, it was those shows I meant and I know that films and shows are treated differently

quote:

Major (A and B list) and new films yeah, but there are loads of also-ran/C list films (that usually get shown very late, like to use up schedule time) that are still in a heavily edited state - whilst it's a bag of shit, they showed Vault of Horror (which rarely gets shown on TV) a year or two ago and that was massively cut, even though it's a ropey low budget early 70s Amicus flick and, these days, could probably get away with being shown just before the watershed fully uncut. But just think how much it would cost the Beeb to get that in an uncut state and then think are they really gonna be bothered with that type of film when only about ten people are gonna watch it (one of them being Kim Newman)? The answer is, of course, no. And that's just one of many examples.

That, I didn't know. I knew they don't cut big films but didn't know they still showed edits of lesser known ones. That's odd.

quote:

I watched that too (I do every year), but that was the uncut UK version, NOT the fully uncut US version with the full "Danny Fuckin' Kaye" rant. Over here it's a PG and, obviously, no fucks or certain other subject matters allowed in a PG. In the States it's a PG-13 - one "fuck" and certain subject matter allowed (actually, a regular PG can also get away with a "fuck" in the States - William Friedkin's Sorcerer is a prime example). Why they don't re-submit it uncut for a 12 is beyond me, considering the Vacation box set is a 15 overall.

I'm pretty sure I saw it uncut. Maybe it was when it was Five the year before, all the days blend together for me these days

I am enjoying talking about this stuff. I have loads of VHS tapes still, I may check them to see if there are any cut films on them. I have TV edits of Quantum Leap, I know that.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 63
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 11/7/2012 4:22:16 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

and DC the tv cut only showed the prison guard then it cut to outside the jail. I never saw the hanging scene at all until the dvd.

Yes, you're right. I'm talking about the vhs copy I owned from the late 80s which did show the hanging scene but was trimmed by a few seconds.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 64
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 11/7/2012 6:34:52 PM   
great_badir

quote:

quote:

That, I didn't know. I knew they don't cut big films but didn't know they still showed edits of lesser known ones. That's odd.

It's annoying more than odd - it costs the BBC thousands (perhaps even more nowadays) to edit a film and, one would assume, a similar amount to put it all back in or buy another uncut print, where they would still have to presumably run it by a committee for the OK. I'm sure it's just down to money and not some vile conspiracy.

quote:

I'm pretty sure I saw it uncut. Maybe it was when it was Five the year before, all the days blend together for me these days

Five definitely had and aired the fully uncut US version - I was amazed the first time I saw it on there (it was the first chrimbo I spent with my now wife and I remember us watching it in what was her bedroom at her parents' at about 11.30pm, which would place it somewhere between 2001 and 2003), cos I'd never seen that version before and I had no idea there was a "fuck" in it at all, or that that rant went on for twice as long. Unfortunately ITV bought the rights to it again a couple of years ago, so it's back to the ultra-cut kiddie friendly version

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 65
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 22/11/2012 12:34:28 AM   
Shifty Bench

Some wonderful person found the TV version of Robocop and made this video. This is basically the exact same version that ITV aired that people wrongly say was shown on a Sunday afternoon once. I can see why they'd think it, though. Enjoy- click

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 66
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 22/11/2012 1:49:43 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Some wonderful person found the TV version of Robocop and made this video. This is basically the exact same version that ITV aired that people wrongly say was shown on a Sunday afternoon once. I can see why they'd think it, though. Enjoy- click

Robocop aired on a Sunday afternoon?

And here's me thinking commissioning I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here was the worst move ITV ever made.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 67
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 22/11/2012 1:58:13 AM   
Shifty Bench

No....no it did not....

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 68
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 22/11/2012 2:05:25 AM   
MonsterCat

I'm just wondering how they managed to get around things like Kinney's death and Murphy's shooting.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 69
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 22/11/2012 2:15:00 AM   
Shifty Bench

Yeah, that would have been a problem which is why it didn't happen. Even in that video you can see the aftermath of Kinney's death so that was kept in to an extent. I have always wondered how anyone could think it did happen but it's just an urban legend.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 70
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 22/11/2012 2:20:13 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

I have always wondered how anyone could think it did happen but it's just an urban legend.

Actually, for a minute there I thought it did. *facepalm*

ITV do have a history of broadcasting heavily edited 15 certificate films around the 6pm mark, though.

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 71
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 22/11/2012 2:24:45 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
ITV do have a history of broadcasting heavily edited 15 certificate films around the 6pm mark, though.

Yeah, Channel 4 and 5 do it too. They can't show even edited 18s before 9pm though or Ofcom will be all over them. Films like Beverly Hills Cop 1 and 2, Gremlins, Wildcats, The Thirteenth Floor and Stand By Me have al been shown as an afternoon or evening film before.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 72
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 24/11/2012 11:37:59 PM   
Mister Coe

The first time I ever saw 'An Officer And A Gentleman' was in an ITV edited version. I knew that some TV editor had been messing around with it because the actors mouths frequently didnt move with the soundtrack.

But, when I saw the uncut version, I was a bit shocked when Richard Gere called Lisa Blount 'a little cunt...'

Say what now?

Post #: 73
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: TV edits of classic lines Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI