Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: TV edits of classic lines

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: TV edits of classic lines Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 9/7/2012 12:27:56 AM   
kumar

Yipee Ki-yay Kimosabe!

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 31
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 9/7/2012 2:49:40 PM   
Invader_Ace

I hadn't realised the edited version of Robocop was so well known!
"I don't have to take this Quacamole!"

Post #: 32
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 9/7/2012 3:06:36 PM   
DazDaMan

Even though it's shown after 9pm, ITV insist on cutting "cunt" from both Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.

And I was really surprised to hear Indy saying "shit" in Raiders of the Lost Ark when I got it on DVD....

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

Post #: 33
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 9/7/2012 3:17:00 PM   
horribleives

Do you still get the odd swear word in summer blockbusters these days? It's not something I'd particularly notice now but in the '80s and early '90s all the Speilberg directed/produced stuff would always have a few lines of dialogue (nearly always humourous stuff) with a 'shit' here or an 'asshole' there. A 'bit of blue for the dads' as Peter Kay would say. I guess the modern equivalent is Pixar and their occasional adult-aimed jokes.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 34
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 9/7/2012 3:18:16 PM   
DazDaMan

Strangely, for a person who uses swearwords like they're going out of fashion, I thought there TOO MANY shits and assholes in Super-8....

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 35
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 9/7/2012 3:23:31 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

Even though it's shown after 9pm, ITV insist on cutting "cunt" from both Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.

Yeah, I linked to the Shaun edit earlier

quote:

And I was really surprised to hear Indy saying "shit" in Raiders of the Lost Ark when I got it on DVD....

I know, me too. And I'm glad BBC1 showed it uncut on Saturday night pre-watershed.

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
Do you still get the odd swear word in summer blockbusters these days?

I haven't seen it but apparently Men In Black 3 has a few f them and it's PG. It's a rare thing these days, that's or sure.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 36
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 9/7/2012 6:08:56 PM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Do you still get the odd swear word in summer blockbusters these days? It's not something I'd particularly notice now but in the '80s and early '90s all the Speilberg directed/produced stuff would always have a few lines of dialogue (nearly always humourous stuff) with a 'shit' here or an 'asshole' there. A 'bit of blue for the dads' as Peter Kay would say. I guess the modern equivalent is Pixar and their occasional adult-aimed jokes.

The Avengers had a few, it felt really odd to hear it because it was pretty casual.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 37
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 9/7/2012 6:14:46 PM   
Shifty Bench

I don't remember any in The Avengers

There's a 'shit' spoken in Iron Man, I remember that.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 38
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 9/7/2012 6:35:08 PM   
matty_b

The Avengers - there's the "quim" line, obviously.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 39
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 9/7/2012 8:39:52 PM   
Cool Breeze

Clarence Bodicker is the highest target for redubbing in Robocop..

'' You burned the FREAKING money! ''

'' Now listen here chief, your company built the FREAKING thing, now i gotta deal with it? I dont have time for this BALONEY! ''

'' Alright cut the horseplay! ''

Didnt know about Dick Jones '' Airhead '' line.Thats really funny!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 40
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 9/7/2012 9:04:58 PM   
fuzzy

The bit in Planes, Trains with Steve Martin where he says fuck seemingly dozens of times, was always cut on BBC - they didn't overdub it, just removed the fucks and cut away when you saw him say them I think. It was a bit bizarre, but I grew up watching that taped version and knew no different until I bought the VHS in my teens.

Similarly, I had a taped Beverly Hills Cop from the TV in the late 80s, and that said at the start 'Edited for Television' - no shit!

Post #: 41
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 10/7/2012 12:13:52 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy

The bit in Planes, Trains with Steve Martin where he says fuck seemingly dozens of times, was always cut on BBC - they didn't overdub it, just removed the fucks and cut away when you saw him say them I think. It was a bit bizarre, but I grew up watching that taped version and knew no different until I bought the VHS in my teens.

Yeah I remember that one, it sounded like he had a fucking stutter. Glad I had seen the original version previous to that already.

EDIT: Just remembered the scene in Twins when Arnie learns the word 'Asshole' was changed to 'Slimeball' for the tv edit. I'm sure they also cut out 'son of a bitch'.

< Message edited by Spaldron -- 10/7/2012 12:15:33 AM >

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 42
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 10/7/2012 12:18:47 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

The Avengers - there's the "quim" line, obviously.

Well, yeah, I remember that

But I don't remember any uses of words like 'shit'. I suppose 'quim' is bad enough

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 43
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 10/7/2012 1:52:33 AM   
Coyleone

quote:

Strangely, for a person who uses swearwords like they're going out of fashion, I thought there TOO MANY shits and assholes in Super-8....

Yeah Super 8 was the first one I thought of when I saw that question.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 44
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 10/7/2012 10:01:40 AM   
Discodez

And now on BBC Two, Martin Scorsese’s highly acclaimed “Badfellas”. Viewers might like to know, this film has been specially ruined for television.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmRTUNh1vPo

"Did you fun my wife?"

Post #: 45
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 10/7/2012 1:10:29 PM   
great_badir

quote:

Though, interestingly, when Shaun was last on ITV2 (I think it was about 11.30pm a month or so ago), the "cunt" was present and correct.

RE Robocop - I can confirm with 100% confidence that it was NEVER shown in the afternoon, and that it was indeed shown (once) at 8pm. How do I know that with such confidence? Because I recorded it and straight after it was News at 10, with Sandy Gall talking about the Berlin wall or something.

Does anyone remember the days (thinking about it, it was probably still happening as recent as the mid to late 90s) when even channel 4 always cut "cunt" after the watershed?

Also, it annoys me that both the Beeb and ITV still show the edited versions of some films after the watershed, I'm guessing cos they don't want to spend money on getting hold of the pre-cut versions. Granted, none of the ones I can recall off the top of my head are classics by any stretch (Every Which Way But Loose and Any Which Way You Can spring to mind - ITV are still using the same cuts they used to show on Saturday afternoons in the 80s, even when they're on late-late on ITV4), but it's still annoying.

Flip side of that, mucho kudos to channel 5 for using the fully uncut US version of Christmas Vacation for most of the chrimbos they had it and showed it post watershed. But now ITV have got it again and usually show it of an afternoon, so it's back to the heavily cut version missing half of Clark's rant and him getting all hot and bothered in the lingerie section.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 46
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 10/7/2012 1:22:33 PM   
Bloke from Oz

"Enough is enough! I have had it with these MONKEY-FIGHTING snakes, on this MONDAY TO FRIDAY plane! Everybody strap in - I'm about to open some FREAKING windows."

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1342/jamesbondsia6.jpg

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 47
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 10/7/2012 1:30:27 PM   
fuzzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

The one I remember was The Goonies, for years I was used to the ITV edit so what a shocker it was when I got the dvd with all the cuss words put back in.

Recent Ch5 airings seem uncut, and they're on Sunday afternoons. The Mouth translations being the main one - they were always cut on the other channels.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 48
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 10/7/2012 1:35:14 PM   
fuzzy

I noticed ITV2 ruined Gremlins when they showed it at Xmas. The kitchen scene was cut to virtually nothing - possibly the best sequence in the entire film! 

< Message edited by fuzzy -- 10/7/2012 1:36:00 PM >

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 49
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 10/7/2012 2:06:01 PM   
matty_b

Do people still bother to watch films on TV anymore?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 50
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 10/7/2012 2:09:50 PM   
fuzzy

quote:

When there's nowt else on - or you've got Sky Movies. But these days it's usually parts of films, or the last half hour. Annoying, but that's getting older for you.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 51
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 10/7/2012 3:10:07 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

The one I remember was The Goonies, for years I was used to the ITV edit so what a shocker it was when I got the dvd with all the cuss words put back in.

Recent Ch5 airings seem uncut, and they're on Sunday afternoons. The Mouth translations being the main one - they were always cut on the other channels.

All the s-words are kept in? On Five? That doesn't sound right. If it is only the Mouth subtitles that are kept in, the film is nowhere near uncut

I remember The Goonies ITV cut, it was shown on a Saturday at about 6pm-ish and all the language was cut except the use of 'oh my God' (and there is a lot). One Sunday, though, ITV showed it again and all the offensive uses of the Lord's name on the Sabbath day were dubbed to 'Gosh'. I shit you not, it was quite funny.

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 52
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 10/7/2012 3:26:07 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

All the s-words are kept in? On Five? That doesn't sound right. If it is only the Mouth subtitles that are kept in, the film is nowhere near uncut

I remember The Goonies ITV cut, it was shown on a Saturday at about 6pm-ish and all the language was cut except the use of 'oh my God' (and there is a lot). One Sunday, though, ITV showed it again and all the offensive uses of the Lord's name on the Sabbath day were dubbed to 'Gosh'. I shit you not, it was quite funny.

They also used to cut the hanging scene at the start, making it unclear how Jake Fratelli managed to walk straight out of the jail house.

quote:

I don't.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 53
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 10/7/2012 3:31:46 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

They also used to cut the hanging scene at the start, making it unclear how Jake Fratelli managed to walk straight out of the jail house.

To be fair, that was cut from the cinema and VHS version of the film over here too.

quote:

quote:

I don't.

Neither do I.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 54
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 10/7/2012 4:17:44 PM   
fuzzy

quote:

quote:

quote:

I did say seem. Didn't watch it all, but what I did see was a lot more generous than previous TV airings for a teatime viewing - I think it even had the hand in the blender scene left in.

Post #: 55
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 10/7/2012 6:21:56 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

quote:

To be fair, that was cut from the cinema and VHS version of the film over here too.

I think it was trimmed, not cut entirely because I remember the jail-cell scene in the cinema and it was on my old vhs copy. In fact the only trims on my vhs copy were from said hanging scene, a couple of "shits" missing from Chunk and the edited Mouth translation which went something like:

"The cigarettes go in the top drawer - the dangerous drugs go in the second - the REALLY dangerous drugs go in the bottom." And he simply says "torture devices" as opposed to "sexual torture devices". | actually prefer the version with less "shits".

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

Post #: 56
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 10/7/2012 9:06:00 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

quote:

I think it was trimmed, not cut entirely because I remember the jail-cell scene in the cinema and it was on my old vhs copy. In fact the only trims on my vhs copy were from said hanging scene, a couple of "shits" missing from Chunk

I think there was only one shit that was cut from the original UK version. The very first one from Chunk when when squashes his milkshake all over himself. I remember thinking that was odd after watching the the uncut version.

And you are right, the ITV cut went from the Guard shouting 'you there, hey turkey' to Jake running outside. The original UK cut didn't show Jake take the faux noose off his neck after he knocked the guard out, I remember now

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 57
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 10/7/2012 9:59:12 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir
RE Robocop - I can confirm with 100% confidence that it was NEVER shown in the afternoon, and that it was indeed shown (once) at 8pm. How do I know that with such confidence? Because I recorded it and straight after it was News at 10, with Sandy Gall talking about the Berlin wall or something.

Do you still have that recording because if you do, that will make me believe it a bit more.

quote:

Does anyone remember the days (thinking about it, it was probably still happening as recent as the mid to late 90s) when even channel 4 always cut "cunt" after the watershed?

Channel 4 still cut the word from stand up shows. Well, they did a couple of years ago when they showed Lee Mack live, they beeped the word out. I noticed it in a few other shows too.

quote:

Also, it annoys me that both the Beeb and ITV still show the edited versions of some films after the watershed, I'm guessing cos they don't want to spend money on getting hold of the pre-cut versions.

Don't the BBC show every film uncut after 9pm now? Pretty sure, they do. About ten years ago, they showed Seven cut at 9pm on a Sunday but since then they've been pretty god as far as I know.

quote:

Flip side of that, mucho kudos to channel 5 for using the fully uncut US version of Christmas Vacation for most of the chrimbos they had it and showed it post watershed. But now ITV have got it again and usually show it of an afternoon, so it's back to the heavily cut version missing half of Clark's rant and him getting all hot and bothered in the lingerie section.

It was uncut on ITV2 last Christmas at 9pm, I watched it just to make sure (and because I wanted to see it again)

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 58
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 10/7/2012 10:01:06 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

I think there was only one shit that was cut from the original UK version. The very first one from Chunk when when squashes his milkshake all over himself. I remember thinking that was odd after watching the the uncut version.

I think the other one I'm thinking of is when Mrs Walsh is pointing at the crisps and says "what is that?" and Chunk sheepishly says "oh shit, what?" Definitely wasn't in my old VHS version. Can't remember if it was there in the cinema though. This is all rather confusing actually. But like I said I think the milkshake scene is actually funnier when it just cuts away before Chunk says "aww shit!" Probably 'cos I'm getting older.

quote:

And you are right, the ITV cut went from the Guard shouting 'you there, hey turkey' to Jake running outside. The original UK cut didn't show Jake take the faux noose off his neck after he knocked the guard out, I remember now

Now that you mention it I can't quite recall how much of that scene was in the original UK cut but I do remember seeing the inside of the jail. Maybe that was all, can't believe it's been nearly 30 sodding years. However in my old vhs copy when the guard goes into the cell we just see a shot of Jake's feet and then it cuts to the guard reading the note without the camera panning up to see Jake's face. And yeah we didn't see Jake slip the fake noose off, you're right. Phew.

Wow, all this talk of the Goonies making me want to watch it. My oldest son's just turned four and we watched Spiderman 2 this morning, as it was the only PG in the trilogy. He found Doc Ock a little scary but he loved it. Too young for the Goonies though? I'd probably say yes, in whatever version.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

Post #: 59
RE: TV edits of classic lines - 10/7/2012 10:13:39 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

I think the other one I'm thinking of is when Mrs Walsh is pointing at the crisps and says "what is that?" and Chunk sheepishly says "oh shit, what?" Definitely wasn't in my old VHS version. Can't remember if it was there in the cinema though. This is all rather confusing actually. But like I said I think the milkshake scene is actually funnier when it just cuts away before Chunk says "aww shit!" Probably 'cos I'm getting older.

It is funnier. I remember the 'oh shit, what?' on my VHS version (although, maybe he just says 'what?' I'm going to see if I still have my VHS version somewhere).
quote:

Now that you mention it I can't quite recall how much of that scene was in the original UK cut but I do remember seeing the inside of the jail. Maybe that was all, can't believe it's been nearly 30 sodding years. However in my old vhs copy when the guard goes into the cell we just see a shot of Jake's feet and then it cuts to the guard reading the note without the camera panning up to see Jake's face. And yeah we didn't see Jake slip the fake noose off, you're right. Phew.

Yeah, the 12 certificate dvd (and Blu Ray) says 'contains hanging scene' next to the certificate now. I think the only bit of that scene cut on the UK version was the removal of the noose

quote:

Wow, all this talk of the Goonies making me want to watch it. My oldest son's just turned four and we watched Spiderman 2 this morning, as it was the only PG in the trilogy. He found Doc Ock a little scary but he loved it. Too young for the Goonies though? I'd probably say yes, in whatever version.

If only you can get hold of the ITV cut that was shown on a Sunday that cuts all the blasphemy

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: TV edits of classic lines Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI