Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lovely Molly - 7/7/2012 11:58:28 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Starnge Molly! (spoilers) - 7/7/2012 11:58:28 AM   
filmsunlimited

Interesting this one. On walking out, I overheard people referring to it as a 'seriously messed up film.' And they have a point.
By no means is this a bad film. There are moments of inspiration and squirm inducing violence. However, this trads an uncomfortable line sometimes between Paranormal Activityesque jumpiness and more psychological thriller. Towards the beginning, the former is definitely more in evidence with banging doors, alarms going off etc. Towards the latter end of the film, its more the latter with Molly's heroin habit not helping.
This film is weird in that it screams 'She was sexually abused as a child' without ever actually mentioning it out loud, which does make you wonder whether the haunting and even the abuse is in her head at times. It gets weirder where Molly walks out the house into the arms of a horse head figure towards the end, which makes you think OKKKKKKKKKKKKKK....
A strong performance by GL playing Molly, although none of the other acting in this quite reaches the same level. I recommend this but I warn you it is pretty leftfield!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
A nightmarish return to form. - 21/8/2012 4:52:24 PM   
Craigmustdie

I watched this in the hope that it would be a half decent return to form for Eduardo 'The Blair witch...' Sanchez, instead it surprised me by being quite easily the best horror movie I have seen all year. It has shades of several terrific films such as 'Absentia', 'The Exorcist' and, of course, Sanchez' previous masterpiece, while retaining it's own identity throughout.
The central performance from Gretchen Lodge is absolutely perfect, totally believable and incredibly sympathetic, the scenes that she shares with Johnny Lewis (also excellent) as her new husband give the movie a very solid emotional core, and as outside forces conspire to destroy this young couple it becomes hugely upsetting, heartbreaking even. While I was totally engrossed in the movie I did wonder if it was possible for Sanchez to equal the astonishing climax of 'The Blair witch....' for sheer WTF chills, and, unbelievably, he does just that.. One particular, totally unexpected moment at the movie's climax had both me and my girlfriend out of our seats, terrified, mumbling "what the fuck? WHAT THE FUCK?...." for nearly a minute, it chilled my blood and created, for me at least, and indelible, unforgettable image to rival poor Mike, standing in the corner of that old house in the Burkittsville woods.
In closing, 'Lovely Molly' is a movie that I can imagine dividing audiences in much the same way as the 'Blair witch...' did over a decade ago, but for me it's nothing less than a minor masterpiece and proof positive that horror movies still have the power to scare me witless.

Post #: 3
Good tense horror - 25/6/2013 9:03:07 PM   
danielthompson99

Gretchen Lodge knocks this out of the park with her acting. I look forwards to seeing a lot more from her.
Creepy, chilling beginnings, always with the thoughts "is this all in her head" lead to a heebie-jeebies climax with a few really nasty moments.
This isn't the best horror I have ever seen, but it certainly delivers something fresh and new to the genre. Worth watching for Lodge's performance alone.

Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Lovely Molly Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI